Home Token Coins, Tokens & Altcoins: Whats the Difference?
This article explores the subtle differences between cryptocurrency coins and tokens, and why the term cryptocurrency is a misnomer.
Cryptocurrencies can be extremely hard to wrap our heads around, especially since their underlying technology the Blockchain is shrouded in computing language and terminology that is technical in nature. This is a huge barrier to many who are interested to learn more about cryptocurrencies and blockchain technology. But do not worry! Well guide you in understanding key cryptocurrency concepts that is great for you to know. (See more:Guide to Common Crypto Terms)
Lets start with understanding the definition of cryptocurrencies. Cryptocurrencies are digital or virtual currencies that are encrypted (secured) using cryptography. Cryptography refers to the use of encryption techniques to secure and verify the transfer of transactions. Bitcoin represents the first decentralized cryptocurrency, which is powered by a public ledger that records and validates all transactions chronologically, called the Blockchain. Heres an overview of how the blockchain works:
(Source: The Bernie Group)
Although many cryptocurrencies have existed prior to Bitcoin, its creation marks an important milestone in the realm of digital currencies, due to its distributed and decentralized nature. The creation of Bitcoin precipitated the expansion of a lush and more diverse ecosystem of other coins and tokens, that are often regarded as cryptocurrencies in general, even when most of them do not fall under the definition of a currency.
(See more:Evolution of Cryptocurrency: The Problem With Money Today)
It is important to note that all coins or tokens are regarded as cryptocurrencies, even if most of the coins do not function as a currency or medium of exchange. The term cryptocurrency is a misnomer since a currency technically represents a unit of account, a store of value and a medium of exchange. All these characteristics are inherent within Bitcoin, and since the cryptocurrency space was kickstarted by Bitcoins creation, any other coins conceived after Bitcoin is generally considered as a cryptocurrency, though most do not fulfill the aforementioned characteristics of an actual currency.
The most common categorization of cryptocurrencies are:
Alternative cryptocurrency coins are also called altcoins or simply coins. Theyre often used interchangeably. Altcoins simply refers to coins that are an alternative to Bitcoin. The majority of altcoins are a variant (fork) of Bitcoin, built using Bitcoins open-sourced, original protocol with changes to its underlying codes, therefore conceiving an entirely new coin with a different set of features. A central concept of modifying open source codes to create new coins is called hardforks, which is further explained in this article. Some examples of altcoins that are variants of Bitcoins codes are Namecoin, Peercoin, Litecoin, Dogecoin and Auroracoin. (Read also:Bitcoins Civil War: How and Why?)
Fun fact: A software fork occurs when there is a change in the underlying programming protocol, resulting in the forking or split of the original blockchain. This usually results in the creation of a new coin. There are different types of forks such as hard fork, soft forkor accidental fork.
There are other altcoins that arent derived from Bitcoins open-source protocol. Rather, they have created their own Blockchain and protocol that supports their native currency. Examples of these coins include Ethereum, Ripple, Omni, Bitshares, NEO, Waves and Counterparty.
A commonality of all altcoins is that they each possess their own independent blockchain, where transactions relating to their native coins occur in.
Fun fact: The first Altcoin was Namecoin, which was created in April 2011. It is a decentralized open source information registration and transfer system
(Read also:Guide on Identifying Scam Coins)
Tokens are a representation of a particular asset or utility, that usually resides on top of another blockchain. Tokens can represent basically any assets that are fungible and tradeable, from commodities to loyalty points to even other cryptocurrencies!
Creating tokens is a much easier process as you do not have to modify the codes from a particular protocol or create a blockchain from scratch. All you have to do is follow a standard template on the blockchain such as on the Ethereum or Waves platform that allows you to create your own tokens. This functionality of creating your own tokens is made possible through the use of smart contracts; programmable computer codes that are self-executing and do not need any third-parties to operate. It really is super cool! Heres a look at the process:
Tokens are created and distributed to the public through an Initial Coin Offering (ICO), which is a means of crowdfunding, through the release of a new cryptocurrency or token to fund project development. It is similar to an Initial Public Offering (IPO) for stocks, with critical distinctions whichare explained in this article. Many are crazy over ICOs as they represent a great way of identifying interesting projects that can provide great financial returns.
Fun Fact: A template for token creation is wonderful since it provides a standard interface for interoperability between tokens. This make it so much easier for you to store different type of coins within a single wallet. An example is the ERC-20 standard on the Ethereum blockchain, which has is used by over 40 tokens
(Read more: Analyzing Cryptocurrency Risk: Existing Coins vs ICO)
The main difference between altcoins and tokens is in their structure; altcoins are separate currencies with their own separate blockchain while tokens operate on top of a blockchain that facilitates the creation of decentralized applications. The majority of coins in existence (close to 80%) are tokens, since theyre much more easier to create.
(You might also be interested inWill A Crash in Bitcoins Price Lead to Its Demise?)
If youre starting your journey into the complex world of cryptocurrencies, heres a list of useful resources and guides that will get you on your way:
Read also:Crypto Trading Guide: 4 Common Pitfalls Every Crypto Trader Will ExperienceandGuide To Cryptocurrency Trading Basics: Introduction to Crypto Technical Analysis.
Enroll in our Free Cryptocurrency Webinar now to learn everything you need to know about crypto investing.
Get our exclusive e-book which will guide you on the step-by-step process to get started with making money via Cryptocurrency investments!
You can also join our Facebook group at Master The Crypto: Advanced Cryptocurrency Knowledge to ask any questions regarding cryptos!
Read more from the original source:
Differences Between Cryptocurrency Coins and Tokens
- Investors who lost $190m demand exhumation of cryptocurrency mogul - The Guardian - December 14th, 2019
- This little-known cryptocurrency is heading towards the top ten - Decrypt - December 14th, 2019
- Moonday Mornings: IRS readies to tax your cryptocurrency no matter what - The Next Web - December 14th, 2019
- $1.6B in Bitcoin bought during 2017s bull run hasnt moved - The Next Web - December 14th, 2019
- ING bank wants to give clients a compliant way to store cryptocurrency, report - The Next Web - December 14th, 2019
- Wondering About The Tax Treatment Of A Cryptocurrency Hard Fork And Airdrop? - JD Supra - December 14th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency scammers carefully built up their target's trust, then they fleeced him mercilessly - Mirror Online - December 14th, 2019
- Police arrest head of $2.7M Ugandan cryptocurrency scam - The Next Web - December 14th, 2019
- US arrests three in alleged USD 722 mn cryptocurrency fraud - Business Standard - December 14th, 2019
- What is Cryptocurrency? A Simple Explanation - December 4th, 2019
- 8 Best Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Books To Read in 2019 ... - December 4th, 2019
- What Is Cryptocurrency Mining? - Mycryptopedia - December 4th, 2019
- Best Places to Earn Interest on Your Cryptocurrency - Crypto Briefing - December 4th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency 101 in the South Bronx - The New Yorker - December 4th, 2019
- Bitcoin Corrects And What's Next - Seeking Alpha - December 4th, 2019
- Drugs hidden in childs toy lead police to massive $1M cryptocurrency stash - The Next Web - December 4th, 2019
- Want to Pay for Your Stay with Cryptocurrency? Head to Vir Island - Total Croatia News - December 4th, 2019
- Thai SEC to Amend its Royal Decree on Cryptocurrency - The Tokenist - December 4th, 2019
- German Banks Will Be Allowed to Buy, Sell, and Store Cryptocurrency Starting New Years Day Crypto.IQ | Bitcoin and Investment News from Inside... - December 4th, 2019
- India vs. the people: The battle over cryptocurrency ownership continues - Forkast News - December 2nd, 2019
- Cryptocurrency This Week: Binance Launches Ethereum Futures, Hackers Steal $50 Mn From Korean Exchange And ... - Inc42 Media - December 2nd, 2019
- China Shuts Down 173 Cryptocurrency Exchanges and Token-Issuing Platforms - BeInCrypto - December 2nd, 2019
- More traditional investors are eyeing cryptocurrency to diversify their portfolios - Forkast News - December 2nd, 2019
- U.S. Authorities Arrest Virgil Griffith For Teaching Cryptocurrency And Blockchain - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- What Hides Behind South Korean Cryptocurrency Regulation Policy? - The Diplomat - November 30th, 2019
- CipherTrace Q3 2019 Cryptocurrency AML Report: 2/3 of the Top 120 - AiThority - November 30th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Crime Spikes This Year and SMBs are Paying the Price - Commercial Integrator - November 30th, 2019
- $150 Billion Cryptocurrency Boom Is Here Buy This ETF to Profit - Banyan Hill Publishing - November 30th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency crime surges, losses hit $4.4 billion by end-September: CipherTrace report - Reuters - November 28th, 2019
- More traditional investors are eyeing cryptocurrency to diversity their portfolios - Forkast News - November 28th, 2019
- Binance CEO: China has never been pro-Bitcoin or pro-cryptocurrency - AMBCrypto - November 28th, 2019
- The Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin back on recovery track, Ripple and Ethereum follow the lead - FXStreet - November 28th, 2019
- Thailand: Cryptocurrency Law Will Change in 2020 to Stay Competitive - Cointelegraph - November 28th, 2019
- Navigating the Token Crypt: What Options Are Available For Investing Cryptocurrency? - Nasdaq - November 28th, 2019
- This Cryptocurrency Is Up 11310% in a Week. Legit Scam or Just Legit? - CCN.com - November 28th, 2019
- The Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin sits above $7,000 as the trading range is narrowing - FXStreet - November 28th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency policies must combat snake oil without stifling innovation - The Globe and Mail - November 28th, 2019
- Akon has started building Akon City in Senegal with focus on cryptocurrency and renewable energy - Evening Standard - November 28th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency steps closer to legalization in South Korea - CoinGeek - November 28th, 2019
- Dwight Schrute tells Bitcoin holders to give their worthless cryptocurrency to a non-profit - The Next Web - November 22nd, 2019
- VinDAX Is the Seventh Cryptocurrency Exchange Hacked This Year: What Should Investors Be Considering? - Lexology - November 22nd, 2019
- Bitfinex Announces Strategic Collaboration with ODEM to Expand Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Education - PRNewswire - November 22nd, 2019
- The cryptocurrency market update: Bitcoin bears have an upper hand - FXStreet - November 22nd, 2019
- This week in Cryptocurrency - Born2Invest - November 22nd, 2019
- PayPal CEO Holds Bitcoin and Only Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - November 22nd, 2019
- Cryptocurrency exchange that went dark with $16M in user funds only has $45k, report - The Next Web - November 20th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency market update: $5 billion wiped off as Bitcoin bears take a breather - FXStreet - November 20th, 2019
- The cryptocurrency market update: Bitcoin bears hit the pause button - FXStreet - November 20th, 2019
- This cryptocurrencys price just pumped 7,000%, but why? - Decrypt - November 20th, 2019
- Swedish gold-for-cryptocurrency scammer finally extradited to US - The Next Web - November 20th, 2019
- Binance US Adds Nano (NANO) as Its 26th Cryptocurrency - SludgeFeed - November 20th, 2019
- Is the IRS HODLing Out on Us? IRS Issues Additional Cryptocurrency Guidance Addressing Hard Forks, Soft Forks, and Airdrops - JD Supra - November 20th, 2019
- Maksim Zaslavskiy of the cryptocurrency Recoin was sentenced to 18 months in prison for lying to investors - Crain's New York Business - November 20th, 2019
- Cryptocurrencies | Category | Fox Business - November 1st, 2019
- Best cryptocurrency to Invest 2019 - The Complete Guide - November 1st, 2019
- Best Cryptocurrency to Invest 2019 Our Top 4 Picks - October 22nd, 2019
- Buy Cryptocurrency with Credit Card or Bank Transfer now ... - September 30th, 2019
- Best 10 Cryptocurrency Brokers - Updated for 2019 (Safe ... - September 30th, 2019
- Fidelity Said to Offer Cryptocurrency Trading Within a Few ... - May 10th, 2019
- Is This Cryptocurrency The Next Bitcoin? - forbes.com - April 28th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Definition | Bankrate.com - April 26th, 2019
- Samsung is developing its own blockchain network, report claims - April 26th, 2019
- 2019s best cryptocurrency wallets | 70+ compared | finder.com - April 26th, 2019
- What is cryptocurrency? - Definition from WhatIs.com - April 25th, 2019
- A Beginner's Guide to Cryptocoin Mining: What You Need to ... - April 25th, 2019
- How Cryptocurrency Assets Are Becoming A New Battleground In ... - April 21st, 2019
- What is Cryptocurrency: Cryptocurrency Explained the Easy Way - April 13th, 2019
- How to trade cryptocurrency in the UK - finance.yahoo.com - April 8th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Trading | TD Ameritrade - April 8th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Prices, Charts, and Market Cap Data - UNHASHED - April 8th, 2019
- Blow To Bitcoin As World's Largest Cryptocurrency IPO Is Iced - April 2nd, 2019
- How and where do I report Cryptocurrency coin-to-coin ... - March 22nd, 2019
- Hundreds of Millions in Cryptocurrency Vanishes After ... - March 11th, 2019
- Fidelity's new cryptocurrency company is up and running ... - March 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Exchange Says It Can't Access $190 Million ... - February 5th, 2019
- What's the Best Cryptocurrency to Invest in Today? - January 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Trading Easy tips to get started | AvaTrade - January 9th, 2019
- Thailand Issues 4 Cryptocurrency Licenses, Rejects 2 ... - January 9th, 2019
- NASDAQ, Fidelity Invest in New Cryptocurrency Exchange ... - January 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News | Cryptocurrency News | Blockchain ... - January 9th, 2019