Bitso, one of Latin Americas largest digital asset exchanges, has reportedly reached 1 million users before its planned launch in Brazil.
Santiago Alvarado, director of international payments at Bitso, recently talked about how cryptocurrencies might help with settling cross-border transactions in Latin America. Alvarado, whose comments came during a Unitize panel (held on July 8, 2020), was joined by Craig DeWitt, the director of product at American Fintech firm Ripple, and Reed Cataldo from the Prysm Group.
Alvarado confirmed, during the discussion, that Bitso has surpassed 1 million users. Bitso has been offering crypto-related services in Mexico and Argentina. The company is now preparing to enter the Brazilian markets.
Launched in 2014, Bitso is notably the first digital currency exchange established in Mexico. Its also the largest cryptocurrency trading platform in the $1 trillion+ economy. Bitso is also reportedly the biggest crypto-asset exchange in Argentina after introducing services in February 2020.
Alvarado said that Bitso has been able to attract a large number of crypto traders in Argentina in a very short period of time. This may be attributed to the rising demand for affordable or more convenient methods for making cross-border payments and remittances.
Alvarado noted that Argentina has a very large and active crypto community. The country also has many freelancer workers, who might be accepting payments in cryptocurrencies which have become a popular alternative to fiat money in countries with high levels of inflation or too many restrictions on using the traditional financial system.
Alvarado also mentioned that the fast pace of digital currency adoption in Latin America may be due to the dramatic rise in the use of smartphones and the development of distribution infrastructure.
He revealed that around 50% to 60% of the people living in Latin America now have a bank account and around 80% are using mobile phones. He added that smartphones will play a big role in helping users with conveniently accessing modern financial services.
Crypto traders based in Argentina traded 92 Bitcoins (BTC), valued at around $850,000, via P2P exchange LocalBitcoins during the week ending on July 7, 2020. This is notably the highest BTC trading volume in the country since 2016.
Coinbase and Ripple have invested in Bitsos operations in order to help the exchange with expanding operations into Argentina and Brazil.
As reported in May 2020, Ripples (on-demand liquidity) ODL solutions volume in Mexico may have increased because of Ripples partnerships with Bitso and MoneyGram. Ripple introduced its ODL services in Mexico, in 2019, with the help of Bitso, which serves as its exchange partner.
In February 2020, Bitso revealed it had captured a little more than 2% of the remittance market from the United States to Mexico in 2019 and now aims to gain a 20% market share by the end of this year.
- Cryptocurrency investors should be prepared to lose all their money, Bank of England governor says - CNBC - May 9th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency ether rises to new record high over $3600 - Reuters - May 9th, 2021
- Cramer says he owns 'a lot' of red-hot cryptocurrency ether that's tripled bitcoin's 2021 gain - CNBC - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin is no longer the cryptocurrency king - TechRadar - May 9th, 2021
- Major Ethereum upgrades could boost the price further. Here's a roadmap. - Markets Insider - May 9th, 2021
- EBay says open to accepting to cryptocurrencies in future, exploring NFTs - Reuters - May 9th, 2021
- Heres a Bitcoin Timeline for Everything You Need To Know About the Cryptocurrency - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2021
- South Korean Police Officers Banned From Buying Cryptocurrency Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 9th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Clamor: Paying Employees in Bitcoin Has Reached the Mainstream - JD Supra - May 9th, 2021
- Rise of cryptocurrency: How it works, where its going - RochesterFirst - May 1st, 2021
- GitHub Reacts to Growing Cryptocurrency Mining Attacks Using GitHub Actions - InfoQ.com - May 1st, 2021
- How to Make Money With Cryptocurrency - NBC Connecticut - April 28th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency is making its way into the Magic City - WIAT - CBS42.com - April 28th, 2021
- 5 Free Fintech And Cryptocurrency Newsletters You Need To Read - Forbes - April 28th, 2021
- Delchain Partners With Flare to Advance Seamless Cryptocurrency Transactions - PRNewswire - April 28th, 2021
- 3 analysts explain why ether will surpass bitcoin as the leading cryptocurrency - Markets Insider - April 28th, 2021
- An act of benevolence: how cryptocurrency investors are stepping in to help India in time of need - Economic Times - April 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin and the Realm of Cryptocurrency - Lexology - April 28th, 2021
- Whats going on with bitcoin? Cryptocurrency is following price prediction model with astonishing precision - The Independent - April 28th, 2021
- Bill Aimed at Coordinating the SEC and CFTC Positions on Cryptocurrency Passes the US House - Lexology - April 28th, 2021
- What's driving Indians into cryptocurrency amid all the uncertainty - Economic Times - April 28th, 2021
- H. C. Wainwright to Host Cryptocurrency, Blockchain, and Fintech Virtual Conference - Business Wire - April 28th, 2021
- Tesla reveals $101 million bitcoin profit following its massive cryptocurrency investment - Yahoo News - April 28th, 2021
- Three indirect ways investors can play the cryptocurrency craze - CNBC - April 22nd, 2021
- Why Bitcoin ($BTC) Plunged, and What Is The Cryptocurrency's Price Outlook Now? - Bloomberg - April 22nd, 2021
- Why SafeMoon Cryptocurrency Is Up 130% And What You Should Know About It - Benzinga - April 22nd, 2021
- Did PayPal Just Make Cryptocurrency The Cash Of The Future? - Forbes - April 22nd, 2021
- Why Bitcoin Is The Only Cryptocurrency You Need - Florida Trend - April 22nd, 2021
- Bill Gates betting on total collapse of Bitcoin as cryptocurrency slumps: Analysts - Republic TV - April 22nd, 2021
- Cryptocurrency's Future in the U.S. Is Threatened By SEC Action Against Ripple - Bloomberg Law - April 22nd, 2021
- Marathon to Participate in the H.C. Wainwright Cryptocurrency, Blockchain & FinTech Conference on April 27, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - April 22nd, 2021
- The Coming Cryptocurrency Crash (And the One Crypto You Should Buy) - InvestorPlace - April 22nd, 2021
- Logan Simmons and Zach Conley announce the acceptance of cryptocurrency with their digital marketing agency, Volume Digital - Yahoo Finance - April 22nd, 2021
- Breaking Down the Basics of Cryptocurrency - Yahoo Finance - April 22nd, 2021
- Cryptocurrency inflows reach $4.9 billion on April 16 - Business Today - April 22nd, 2021
- Top 5 ways to protect against cryptocurrency scams - TechRepublic - April 22nd, 2021
- GiveCampus Will Support Cryptocurrency Donations to Schools - eSchool News - April 22nd, 2021
- UK Discusses Creating 'Britcoin', Its Own Central Bank-Backed Cryptocurrency - Entrepreneur - April 22nd, 2021
- How To Mine Cryptocurrency: Beginner's Guide To Crypto Mining - April 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Market UK - Crypto Prices in GBP - Buy ... - April 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency inflows hit all-time high of $4.5B in first-quarter - Fox Business - April 8th, 2021
- TheStreet Launches A New Cryptocurrency Media Brand, As The Market Tops $2 Trillion - Forbes - April 8th, 2021
- Engiven's Cryptocurrency Donation Management Platform Selected by the Orang Utan Republik Foundation - PRNewswire - April 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Channel and Investor Newsletter Launches on TheStreet - TheStreet - April 8th, 2021
- New Kind Of Network (NKN) Cryptocurrency Surges 1300% In A Month, On Its Path To Become 'World's Biggest Blockchain' - Benzinga - April 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin and taxes: EY cryptocurrency expert details what to know - Yahoo Money - April 8th, 2021
- Ether (ETH) at a fork in the road, faces key resistance at $2,700: Kraken - Markets Insider - April 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency's Slow March Toward The Mainstream - WFAE - April 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency market in S'pore remains small, says Tharman - The Straits Times - April 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency game: Is here to stay or will it crash? - Yahoo News - April 8th, 2021
- What Is Chainlink and Why Is It Important in the World of Cryptocurrency? - Yahoo Finance - April 4th, 2021
- Wary insurers watch cryptocurrency craze from the sidelines - Business Insurance - April 4th, 2021
- What Is Filecoin and Why Is the Cryptocurrency's Price Going Up? - Newsweek - April 4th, 2021
- Sask. Government warns of increase in cryptocurrency investment scams - CBC.ca - April 4th, 2021
- Coinbase Goes Public April 14: What You Need To Know - Benzinga - April 4th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency crowned top performing asset class of 2020-21 with 800% return - Economic Times - April 4th, 2021
- SU's WiTec club to host workshops on cryptocurrency and blockchain - The Daily Orange - April 4th, 2021
- US Government Sees Cryptocurrency Spring Fever as Great Time to Auction Bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - March 27th, 2021
- Heres When to Buy Bitcoin on the Latest Dip - TheStreet - March 27th, 2021
- RBI Governor Says Government and Central Bank Agree on Cryptocurrency Approach Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - March 27th, 2021
- Bolster Research Shows Cryptocurrency Scams Nearly Doubled in 2020 and Forecasts More This Year - Yahoo Finance - March 27th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC) ETF: Fidelity Applies for Fund That Tracks the Cryptocurrency - Bloomberg - March 27th, 2021
- Milestones In the History of the Bitcoin cryptocurrency - TechBullion - March 27th, 2021
- Fiats sustainable driving cryptocurrency is utter bollocks - The Next Web - March 27th, 2021
- GSA to Hold Auction for Excess Cryptocurrency Assets - ExecutiveGov - March 27th, 2021
- New research reveals the differences between cryptocurrency and gold investors - Wealth Adviser - March 27th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency to become mainstream in the Philippines | Digital Payments | Fintech Magazine - FinTech Magazine - The FinTech & InsurTech Platform - March 27th, 2021
- Companies will need to disclose cryptocurrency holdings, benami properties and audit trail from April 1 - Economic Times - March 27th, 2021
- Local students learn to solve crimes of future at Utica College - Utica Observer Dispatch - March 27th, 2021
- What Is SafeMoon? How to Buy the New Cryptocurrency - Newsweek - March 23rd, 2021
- How will cryptocurrency earnings be taxed? - Fox Business - March 23rd, 2021
- Decoded: What is a cryptocurrency and how does a blockchain work? - Business Standard - March 23rd, 2021
- FBI Arrests 6 Over NH Cryptocurrency Business - NBC10 Boston - March 23rd, 2021
- Cryptocurrency inflows hit record high of $4.2 bln, CoinShares says - Yahoo Finance - March 23rd, 2021
- Anger against tech giants led me to cryptocurrency: Nischal Shetty of WazirX - Mint - March 23rd, 2021
- Cashing in on bitcoins: French government to pocket $30 mn from first-ever cryptocurrency auction - Economic Times - March 23rd, 2021
- BitcoinBuyersGuide Introduces the Most Advanced Exchange Filter in the Cryptocurrency Industry - PRNewswire - March 23rd, 2021
- John McAfee charged with securities fraud for pump and dump cryptocurrency scheme - The Verge - March 8th, 2021
- Eco raises $26M in a16z-led round to scale its digital cryptocurrency platform - TechCrunch - March 8th, 2021
- Looking at ways to experiment with digital world and cryptocurrency: Sitharaman - Mint - March 8th, 2021