More than US$11 billion has been stolen from supposedly secure crypto exchanges, wallets and mining platforms since 2011, mostly due to hacking incidents, research from Inside Bitcoins has revealed.
For a form of currency that bases itself on safety and security, $11 billion is a pretty significant number. Stored on blockchain technology and protected by encryption keys, cryptocurrencies are supposed to be impossible to counterfeit or copy.
In fact, the currency is so secure that when the co-founder and chief of Canadian exchange QuadringaCXGerald Cotten died last year, it transpired he was the only one with the digital keys to the digital safe where all the coins were kept.
Since then, there have been questions as to whether or not Cotton actually died at all. Lawyers for Quadringas investors have even called for his body to be exhumed in order to settle the matter once and for all.
However, it turns out even crypto coins can be half-inched. According to US bitcoin publication Inside Bitcoins, there have been some 33 hacking incidents, globally, since 2011.
The exchange that fell victim to the first reported crypto hack in 2011 was also on the sharp end of the biggest hack in 2014.
In 2011, Tokyo exchange Mt.Gox was breached, losing about US$17.2 million in bitcoin.
It recovered from the incident, and by 2014, it was the leading exchange in the world, managing about 70% of all bitcoin transactions.
In February 2014, however, it suffered a second attack, losing about US$6.5 billion worth of bitcoin or six percent of all bitcoin in existence at the time.
Three years later, Mt.Gox was bankrupt.
The Mt.Gox hack of 2014 is now infamous its the subject of lengthy deep-dive articles, its explored in many tech podcasts and its even the subject of an ebook.
Three additional hacks were recorded in 2014, bringing the total loss to US$6.7 billion, and making the year an almost comical standout on a graph detailing losses over the past eight years.
By contrast, the second most-catastrophic year was 2016, which saw total losses of US$1.6 billion in cryptocurrency.
Interestingly, 2017 saw an increase in the number of hacks, but a dip in the value stolen. Its perhaps no surprise that there was more criminal interest this was the year of the crypto-boom, in which prices reached a peak of US$20,000.
However, the most hacks occurred in 2019, including that of prominent exchange Binance, which lost about US$60.5 million in bitcoin.
NOW READ:Bitcoin in your pocket: Singapore startup brings cryptocurrency into the physical realm
NOW READ:Is Bitcoin back? Cryptocurrency rallies more than 20%, but no one seems to know why
- Cryptocurrency Price List - Top 20 Cryptocurrency Prices Today - February 9th, 2020
- How to buy Cryptocurrency - WorldCoinIndex - February 9th, 2020
- XRP Could Be Weeks Away from a Major Breakout Despite Overnight Rejection - newsBTC - February 9th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Ripple puts altcoins in the spotlight as NEO and Dash catch the pace - FXStreet - February 9th, 2020
- Draft Bill to Ban Encryption in the US Threatens Cryptocurrency Survival - Coingape - February 9th, 2020
- Ugandan Legislators Address the Role of Cryptocurrency in Pyramid Schemes - CryptoGlobe - February 9th, 2020
- Will MIT Transform Bitcoin (BTC)? New Tech Promises to Dramatically Boost Speed of Cryptocurrency - The Daily Hodl - February 9th, 2020
- Definition of a Cryptocurrency Fork; Why Are They Necessary? - Coin Idol - February 9th, 2020
- Three Reasons Why Bitcoin is Bearish, Explains Analyst - newsBTC - February 9th, 2020
- Keene Solidifies Position as Global Leader in Cryptocurrency Acceptance with Three More Businesses Onboard in January! - Free Keene - February 9th, 2020
- Wendy McElroy: The Narrative and Philosophy of Cryptocurrency - Bitcoin News - February 9th, 2020
- Samsung and Salesforce invest in cryptocurrency company - Decrypt - February 9th, 2020
- USA Is Looking Closely To Launching Its Own Cryptocurrency, According To Fed Governor Lael Brainard - CryptoPotato - February 9th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: The tug of war begins as Bitcoin and altcoins consolidate - FXStreet - February 9th, 2020
- As Bitcoin Fails To Break Out, This Minor Cryptocurrency Has Surged By 400% - Forbes - February 4th, 2020
- This is not cool: Elon Musk attacks Twitter over impersonators scamming bitcoin from followers - The Independent - February 4th, 2020
- CQG Partners with DVeX to Offer Front-End Platforms to New Cryptocurrency Exchange - PRNewswire - February 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Hits Weekly Low as Fears of a $37M Dump Grow - newsBTC - February 4th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Taxes in the UK: What You Need to Know - Nasdaq - February 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin on Track for Best Q1 in Seven Years | Cryptocurrency News - Crypto Briefing - February 4th, 2020
- Why Are Governments Really Opposed to Cryptocurrencies? - Coingape - February 4th, 2020
- Bitcoin Could Fall Hard, This Textbook Indicator Shows - newsBTC - February 4th, 2020
- Will 2020 Be The Year Cryptocurrency And Blockchain Becomes Operational? - Forbes - February 1st, 2020
- This is the right amount of bitcoin to keep in an investment portfolio - CNBC - February 1st, 2020
- Top 5 Performing Cryptocurrency In Jan 2020: Ethereum Classic, Litecoin, Bitcoin SV are Among them - Coingape - February 1st, 2020
- XRP Q4 2019: Crypto traders had one shot to make 20% profit - The Next Web - February 1st, 2020
- Two types of cryptocurrency are now dominating the market - Decrypt - February 1st, 2020
- How does risk and reward work in cryptocurrency? - Coin Rivet - February 1st, 2020
- I took out a loan with cryptocurrency and didn't sign a thing - Mashable - February 1st, 2020
- Top 10 Most Read Cryptocurrency Whitepapers of 2019, Bitcoin Tops the Chart - Coin Idol - February 1st, 2020
- Singapore tightens AML restrictions on cryptocurrency companies - The Next Web - February 1st, 2020
- 2019 saw more cryptocurrency hacks than any other year - ZDNet - February 1st, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Taxes in the UK: What You Need to Know - Bitcoin... - Bitcoin Magazine - February 1st, 2020
- Paris Saint-Germain Teams up With Cryptocurrency Exchange Platform CoinCasso - Bitcoin News - February 1st, 2020
- Banning Cryptocurrency - Economic and Political Weekly - February 1st, 2020
- Cambodia To Launch A National Cryptocurrency In The Coming Months Crypto.IQ | Bitcoin and Investment News from Inside Experts You Can Trust -... - February 1st, 2020
- 49,999,995 XRP Sent to Bitstamp Is This Cryptocurrency Giant Behind the Curtain? - The Daily Hodl - February 1st, 2020
- Stake Algorand and Cosmos on Binance.US | Cryptocurrency News - Crypto Briefing - February 1st, 2020
- XRP Trounces Bitcoin, Ethereum as Conjectured Best Performing Cryptocurrency of 2020 - NewsLogical - February 1st, 2020
- Research: Ether Was the Cryptocurrency Most Correlated to Other Coins in 2019 - Cointelegraph - January 27th, 2020
- Regulating Bitcoin: WEF2020 Announced A Global Consortium For Cryptocurrency Governance - CryptoPotato - January 27th, 2020
- This Top Cryptocurrency Got 51% Attacked. Yet, Its Up 19% And Its a Problem - newsBTC - January 27th, 2020
- It's tax season and the IRS wants to know about your crypto. How to prepare - CNBC - January 27th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin, Ripple and Ethereum dive into the rabbit holes - FXStreet - January 27th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency mining in Iran to boost economic conditions - Cryptopolitan - January 27th, 2020
- Creator of Cryptocurrency Price Tracking App Wins India PM Award - Altcoin Buzz - January 27th, 2020
- Alleged BTC-e boss will be extradited to France over cryptocurrency fraud - The Next Web - January 27th, 2020
- Price Analysis: Discovering the Top Cryptocurrency Market Performers This Week - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - January 27th, 2020
- Trend Micro creates honeypot to analyse security threats, gets subjected to ransomware & cryptocurrency mining - Economic Times - January 27th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Hackers Were More Active in 2019, but Were Less Successful - CryptoGlobe - January 27th, 2020
- Bank of England to consider adopting cryptocurrency - The Guardian - January 22nd, 2020
- Crypto Tidbits: Bitcoin Hits $9,000, Institutional Cryptocurrency Investment Spikes, NBA Team Uses Ethereum - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- How Cybercriminals Are Converting Cryptocurrency to Cash - BankInfoSecurity.com - January 22nd, 2020
- UK offers $130K for software that can trace Bitcoin, Ethereum, and (hopefully) Monero - The Next Web - January 22nd, 2020
- Thailand launches probe into $2.46M cryptocurrency pyramid scam - The Next Web - January 22nd, 2020
- Moonday Mornings: Its 2020 and the OneCoin scam is still alive - The Next Web - January 22nd, 2020
- $140,600,000 in Bitcoin (BTC) Exits Cryptocurrency Exchange As Whale Moves $6,320,422 in XRP - The Daily Hodl - January 22nd, 2020
- Cryptocurrency No longer banned in India? - The Coin Republic - January 22nd, 2020
- Akons AKOIN Cryptocurrency City White Paper to be Live by February 2020 - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - January 22nd, 2020
- BTC/USD: Will 2020 Bring Clear Vision to the Oldest Cryptocurrency? - FXStreet - January 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Two-day recovery on the rocks as Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple trim gains - FXStreet - January 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin bulls hit the pause button, altcoins follow the lead - FXStreet - January 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency billionaire funds SF-wide web of cameras to help fight crime - KRON4 - January 16th, 2020
- North Korea is Holding a Secretive Cryptocurrency Conference, and Experts Warn it's a Very Bad Idea to Attend - Newsweek - January 16th, 2020
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP/USD capitalizes on the global cryptocurrency bulls' run - FXStreet - January 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin rises as cryptocurrency has its best January since 2012 - SiliconANGLE News - January 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and Remittance: The Case of Mexico - Crypto Education - Altcoin Buzz - January 16th, 2020
- Ethereum (ETH) - Based Cryptocurrency Tested By The Reserve Bank of Australia as Payment Tool - U.Today - January 16th, 2020
- $1.4B in illicit Bitcoin was laundered via Binance and Huobi last year, report says - The Next Web - January 16th, 2020
- How to minimize the cryptocurrency tax burden this tax season - Canadian Lawyer Magazine - January 16th, 2020
- The future of cryptocurrency - Lexology - January 13th, 2020
- Analyst: Bitcoin Will Skyrocket to $100,000 in 24 Months and Theres Nothing You Can Do About It - CCN.com - January 13th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Slowly Recovers as Buyers Fail to Emerge - Coin Idol - January 13th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Has Earned Its Place as a Safe Haven - Investorplace.com - January 13th, 2020
- eToro CEO On Bitcoin Dominance in the Cryptocurrency Market - The Coin Republic - January 13th, 2020
- Moonday Mornings: Ethereum dev released on $1M bail over North Korea case - The Next Web - January 13th, 2020
- As Bitcoin Struggles, This Minor Cryptocurrency Is Up Almost 500% Over The Past 12 Months - Forbes - January 12th, 2020
- What to expect from cryptocurrency legislation in 2020 - Yahoo Finance - January 12th, 2020
- South Korea Moves Toward Institutional Acceptance of Cryptocurrency - Nasdaq - January 12th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Cap May Surge 37%. But There's One 'If' - U.Today - January 12th, 2020