Regardless of the type of investment, there will always be some risk involved. Otherwise, it would be hard to get a hefty reward, right?
Today I aim at looking at strategies, issues and solutions to some risk/reward conundrums. Understanding the relationship between risk and reward is a crucial piece in building your investment philosophy. Investmentssuch as flipping cryptocurrencies, staking or miningeach have their own risk profile. Understanding the differences can help you more effectively diversify and protect your investment portfolio.
As I said so many times before, diversifying is key to spreading your risk. Without the right strategy for diversification and understanding what types of risks are there, associated to each type of investment, youre likely to lose ROI.
Hence, I take my altcoin price and fundamental analysis so seriously.
Usually people say the higher the risk, the higher the potential return. Perhaps a more accurate statement is, the higher the risk, the higher the potential return, and the less likely it will achieve the higher return.
To understand this relationship completely, you must know what your risk tolerance is and be able to gauge the relative risk of a particular investment correctly. When you choose to put your money into altcoins that are riskier than Bitcoin or Ethereum, you run the possibility of experiencing any or all of the following to some degree:
To fully comprehend how to measure risk, lets discuss the Risk/Reward ratio and why it is useful.
According to Investopedia, the risk/reward ratio marks the prospective reward an investor can earn, for every dollar he or she risks on an investment.
Many investors use risk/reward ratios to compare the expected returns of an investment with the amount of risk they must undertake to earn these returns. Consider the following example: an investment with a risk-reward ratio of 1:7 suggests that an investor is willing to risk $1, for the prospect of earning $7. Alternatively, a risk/reward ratio of 1:3 signals that an investor should expect to invest $1, for the prospect of earning $3 on his investment.
Traders often use this approach to plan which trades to take, and the ratio is calculated by dividing the amount a trader stands to lose if the price of an asset moves in an unexpected direction (the risk) by the amount of profit the trader expects to have made when the position is closed (the reward).
Hence, the risk/reward ratio is a key indicator of how well youve allocated your funds.
In the case of Bitcoin and some other key altcoins, such as Ethereum or XRP, this ratio is absolutely insane.
Before I conclude this piece, I should underline there is a difference between dirty risk and clean risk. To explain how these concepts differ, Ill compare two lending mechanics: Salt and Lendroid.
Dirty risk is hidden risk.Essentially, its risk not fully understood by the borrower. In Salt, you could take out a loan and pay a fixed monthly interest. What isnt properly explained is the hidden risk, in this case what happens if your collaterals price falls to a certain threshold. In sum, you would simply get liquidated if the price of ETH falls below a certain level.
That represents Dirty risk because borrowers may not be aware of this, as it is not cleared explained on the website.
Clean risk, on the other hand, is transparent risk. Essentially, borrowers are fully aware of hidden fees or liquidation prices.
To better understand the difference, let me use the case of Lendroid, a lending platform. What Lendroid created is an alternative mechanism to avoid getting borrowers liquidated.
In Lendroind, there are two kinds of risk liquidity pools you can get involved in. One is the Harbour Pool, which is risk free by design. Worst case scenario, you get back the money you put in it. Much like the brand new smart contract lotteries built on Ethereum. You pool funds with other users, stake those funds, and use the interest to bet. This way, you may never lose (or keep losses to less than 1%).
The other kind of pool in Lendroid is the High Water Pool, where risk is made very clear. It advertises the currency and collateral combination it supports, so the user can make an informed decision. This way, the chances of getting liquidated greatly diminish.
With clear risk and a differentiation between risk pools, its possible for borrowers to avoid hidden risks.
Read the original here:
How does risk and reward work in cryptocurrency? - Coin Rivet
- Cryptocurrency market update: Major cryptos trade in tight ranges on Saturday - FXStreet - April 6th, 2020
- These are the main factors to consider before investing in the cryptocurrency market - CryptoSlate - April 6th, 2020
- Brian Armstrong: Cryptocurrency Boom Will Spawn Millions of Tokens - The Daily Hodl - April 6th, 2020
- Global demand for cryptocurrencies escalating rapidly: What is the reason for this? - Cryptopolitan - April 6th, 2020
- This Cryptocurrency Casino Is the Latest Terrible Idea by Atari - CCN.com - April 6th, 2020
- First Mover: Trillions in Coronavirus Stimulus Bring Out the Bitcoin Bulls - Yahoo Finance - April 6th, 2020
- YouTube Scares Off Cryptocurrency Supporters by Banning their Content - Coin Idol - April 6th, 2020
- Alipays Progress in Developing the Official Chinese Cryptocurrency Amidst the Global Chaos - TWJ News - March 29th, 2020
- Huobi (HT) Buying Bitcoin and Other Cryptocurrency Is Easier With Huobi Lite - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - March 29th, 2020
- Lukka debuts resource library on all things cryptocurrency - Accounting Today - March 28th, 2020
- Not Convinced New Investors are Buying Bitcoin, Top Analyst Says - newsBTC - March 28th, 2020
- How to identify when a cryptocurrency is about to skyrocket? | The Home of Altcoins: All About Crypto, Bitcoin & Altcoins - Coinlist - March 28th, 2020
- Coronavirus Crisis Shows Benefits of Virtual Reality to Cryptocurrency Enthusiasts - The Merkle Hash - March 28th, 2020
- Report: Asian Nations are Increasing Cryptocurrency Usage - Asia Crypto Today - March 28th, 2020
- President of Brazilian banking On cryptocurrency: They do not fulfill any of the classic functions of currency - Crypto Daily - March 28th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Accounting Firm Launches Library of Legal and Tax Advice - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Binance Reveals the Secret Behind Its Cryptocurrency Futures Success - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- What Happened In Cryptocurrency Tax Space In Q1 2020 - Forbes - March 27th, 2020
- What Will $6 Trillion in Monetary Expansion Do To Cryptocurrency? (Opinion) - CryptoPotato - March 27th, 2020
- Why this cryptocurrency just surged 16% on news of a key Binance partnership - CryptoSlate - March 27th, 2020
- The Role of Cryptocurrencies in the Rise of Ransomware - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Dash and Monero edge above Bitcoin to lead a remarkable recovery - FXStreet - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin news: Price hit by dramatic value fluctuations amid coronavirus panic buying and selling - The Independent - March 27th, 2020
- Bitcoin in the Palm of Your Hand Crypto Hardware Wallets Review - Cointelegraph - March 27th, 2020
- Ranked: US cities with the most crypto owners - Decrypt - March 27th, 2020
- The Coder and the Dictator - The New York Times - March 27th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Gains $25.7B In 24 Hours As It Recovers From Massive Sell-Off - Benzinga - March 27th, 2020
- Chinas Cryptocurrency Is Closer Than Expected, Already Working On Legislation - CryptoPotato - March 27th, 2020
- We Implemented Cryptocurrency In Our Cannabis Business. Here's What We Found. - Green Entrepreneur - March 27th, 2020
- How To Make Money When The Cryptocurrency Market Is Tanking - Forbes - March 19th, 2020
- Thousands of These Computers Were Mining Cryptocurrency. Now They're Working on Coronavirus Research - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - March 19th, 2020
- Itiviti and Gemini to offer Nyfix connectivity for cryptocurrency customers - Finextra - March 19th, 2020
- 6 Cryptocurrency Exchanges That Don't Require KYC - Bitcoin News - March 19th, 2020
- How to Seize What Might Be Unprecedented Crypto Buying... - Coinspeaker - March 19th, 2020
- Will iMining Blockchain and Cryptocurrency (CVE:IMIN) Spend Its Cash Wisely? - Simply Wall St - March 19th, 2020
- How Do You Maximize the Benefits of Cryptocurrency While Avoiding Near-Term Tax? Consider a Self-Directed IRA - The Block Talk - March 19th, 2020
- Russian Premier Bank Signals Red For Cryptocurrency Circulation And Issuance - TWJ News - March 19th, 2020
- Cyber Thieves Using Coronavirus Fears to Steal Bitcoin (BTC) and Cryptocurrency - The Daily Hodl - March 19th, 2020
- BitGo Starts to Further its Cryptocurrency insurance policies - Crypto Daily - March 19th, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies see $93.5 billion wiped off value in 24 hours as bitcoin plunges 48% - CNBC - March 15th, 2020
- [Updated] The Real Reason Behind Bitcoin And Cryptos Massive $50 Billion Crash? - Forbes - March 15th, 2020
- 50 Companies Back New Cryptocurrency Project Competing With Facebook's Libra - Bitcoin News - March 15th, 2020
- The unlikely cryptocurrency bill that went to Congress - Decrypt - March 15th, 2020
- Bitcoin Just Failed the Coronavirus Test - Motley Fool - March 15th, 2020
- XRP on the Verge of Free Fall - Crypto Briefing - March 15th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency exchange CoinDCX invests $1.3M in education initiative 'TryCrypto' - YourStory - March 15th, 2020
- Rise in trading volume a positive sign for cryptocurrency - BTC Wires - March 15th, 2020
- Elon Musk and Daniel Craig Featured in Cryptocurrency Scam Promising Massive Returns - The Daily Hodl - March 15th, 2020
- South Korea passes one of the worlds first comprehensive cryptocurrency laws - TechCrunch - March 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin And Crypto Investors: Avoid This New Cryptocurrency Like The Plague - Forbes - March 10th, 2020
- Over $26 billion wiped off cryptocurrency market in 24 hours after massive oil price plunge - CNBC - March 10th, 2020
- Chinese Nationals Charged with Laundering More Than $100 Million in Cryptocurrency | Chief Investment Officer - Chief Investment Officer - March 10th, 2020
- View: Why it's better for RBI to just wait and watch on cryptocurrency - Economic Times - March 10th, 2020
- Will Japan have a National Cryptocurrency? - Asia Crypto Today - March 10th, 2020
- Cardano (ADA) Cryptocurrency Going Great with Commercialization Measures - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - March 10th, 2020
- Binance Coin (BNB) Cryptocurrency Is Surging: Here's How It Can Refuel BTC - newsBTC - March 10th, 2020
- Is the Coronavirus The Black Swan Event That Crushes Cryptocurrency? - newsBTC - March 5th, 2020
- Nearly $10bn worth of cryptocurrency was stolen in the past three years - TechRadar - March 5th, 2020
- Latest news on the cryptocurrency market - Born2Invest - March 5th, 2020
- Coinbase CEO Reveals Controversial Bitcoin (BTC) and Cryptocurrency Prediction With Major Shift Incoming - The Daily Hodl - March 5th, 2020
- Elon Musk Just Sent The Best Cryptocurrency And Prank Bitcoin Rival Sharply HigherHeres Why - Forbes - March 4th, 2020
- Who Needs Cryptocurrency FedCoin When We Already Have A National Digital Currency? - Forbes - March 4th, 2020
- Binance, Coinbase, And Other Cryptocurrency Exchanges Reportedly Targeted By A New Trojan Virus - CryptoPotato - March 4th, 2020
- North Korea may Have to Forfeit 113 Cryptocurrency Accounts - The Merkle Hash - March 4th, 2020
- Elon Musk says Dogecoin is the best cryptocurrency - Decrypt - March 4th, 2020
- CoronaCoin: Cryptocurrency that bets on coronavirus deaths - Business Today - March 4th, 2020
- Meet the Northumbrian using cryptocurrency to address the UK's housing crisis - North East Times - March 4th, 2020
- How UNICEFs crypto currency fund could change the UN - Quartz - February 28th, 2020
- When IRS Asks About Cryptocurrency On Your Taxes, Answer Carefully - Forbes - February 28th, 2020
- While The Rest of the Market Tanks, One Cryptocurrency Is Above All-Time High - newsBTC - February 28th, 2020
- Crypto in the Hermit Kingdom: Understanding the Objectives of the Pyongyang Blockchain and Cryptocurrency Conference - RUSI Analysis - February 28th, 2020
- Warren Buffett: Cryptocurrency 'has no value' 'I don't own any and never will' - CNBC - February 28th, 2020
- VeChain (VET) Billion Dollars Partners Believe in the Cryptocurrency - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - February 28th, 2020
- Yemens Civil War Shows the Dangers of Crypto - Yahoo Finance - February 28th, 2020
- Fantom Foundation (FTM) 20 Cryptocurrency Transactions in a Single Second on the Blockchain - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - February 28th, 2020
- VertCoin (VTC) One Click Miner Beginning To Rock the Cryptocurrency World Already - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - February 28th, 2020
- A plan to sell Perth Glory to the LFE cryptocurrency firm is over, but the deal never added up - ABC News - February 28th, 2020
- Crime And Punishment In The Cryptocurrency World - Forbes - February 27th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency in Focus: Ethereum Is on Fire - TheStreet - February 27th, 2020
- Warren Buffett says he will never own any cryptocurrency - Yahoo Finance - February 27th, 2020