No matter where you are based in the world, learning how to trade cryptocurrency can be a daunting task for any newcomer this anxiety is exacerbated by the notorious volatility of the crypto markets.
Before you begin trading cryptocurrency in the UK, you should always do your research. Without prior knowledge, you are liable to make countless mistakes.
In this guide, we discuss how to trade cryptocurrency in the UK.
UK residents have more options when it comes to trading cryptocurrency than US residents.
This is because the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) in the USA has been fighting hard for regulation, prompting many exchanges to ban US residents from their services.
Famously, crypto analyst Tone Vays had his BitMEX account terminated on the suspicion that he was a US citizen. UK residents, however, can freely trade on BitMEX at their leisure.
The first point to note about crypto trading is that unlike traditional stock markets, the crypto market is open 24/7.
You must then decide which type of trading you believe will suit you best and which exchange platform is right for you.
Which exchange you choose will largely depend on what type of trading you wish to conduct. You can find our definitive guide to cryptocurrency exchanges here, which includes a list of some of the most popular exchanges and what to look out for.
Spot trading and margin trading are the two most common types of trading, with the exception of over-the-counter (OTC) trading.
Spot trading involves buying or selling an asset with the aim of turning an instant profit.
This might involve selling a certain amount of an asset you already own and then trading with two other assets. The trading will be done on speculation, so you might choose to split your funds equally or go all in on one you feel most confident about.
It is then your hope that you will turn a profit on these assets before selling them and re-buying your original asset, thereby having more of the original asset than you began with.
Margin trading is different because you can trade with leverage. Leverage is borrowed money from an exchange. The amount of leverage on offer to you will differ depending on the platform you are using.
Using leverage means you can generate higher profits because you are staking more funds. If your trade is successful, the exchange will then reclaim the leverage and leave you with the profits.
If the market moves against you, you will be liquidated. This means your original deposit is lost however, you will not have to pay the leverage back. You can learn more about the risks of spot and margin trading here.
OTC trading involves buying or selling an asset directly with no middleman. Fundamentally, this can be as simple as a friend selling you 20 worth of Bitcoin.
OTC trading offers benefits that exchanges do not in that you do not need to provide as much personal information. However, it does come with its own inherent risks, as does any method of crypto trading. You can read our guide on OTC trading here.
LocalBitcoins.com is a popular peer-to-peer (P2P) OTC marketplace where users can facilitate trades with one another.
Once you have identified the type of trading most suitable to you, it is time to learn when to enter the market. Learning about key terms, trade patterns, and previous market cycles will help you make the most informed decision about when you should buy in.
The most important thing to remember is that trading is done on speculation nobody has a concrete idea of how the market will move.
Firstly, you will need to know if you want to go long or short. Going long is when you believe an assets price will rise, while going short is when you believe an assets price will drop.
Of course, you could also just buy some crypto when prices are low and hold on to it for as long as you want before selling when prices are higher.
Learning about support, resistance, and moving averages will help you understand key levels for when to enter or exit the market.
The same is true for studying graphs showing an assets trading history if you notice a pattern re-emerging, then you might be on to something.
You can also do a quick Google search for trading patterns that will bring up illustrations of patterns which also give an indication of what might happen next in the market, such as a falling wedge or Bart Simpson pattern.
When picking an exchange, it is best to read the terms and conditions. While this might seem tedious, you can never be too careful when it comes to crypto trading, even in the UK.
The crypto market is notoriously volatile and can go in any direction at any given point. On this basis, it is wise to conduct your own research because we do not recommend any crypto, exchange, or service in particular, and ultimately you are responsible for any decisions you undertake.
Hopefully this guide has helped you understand how to start trading cryptocurrency in the UK.
You can discover more about the top five tools to master crypto trading, CFD trading, and arbitrage with our guides.
Interested in reading more trading-related guides? Discover more about bid, ask, and bid/ask spread prices with our guide.
The post How to trade cryptocurrency in the UK appeared first on Coin Rivet.
Continue reading here:
How to trade cryptocurrency in the UK - finance.yahoo.com
- Bank of England to consider adopting cryptocurrency - The Guardian - January 22nd, 2020
- Crypto Tidbits: Bitcoin Hits $9,000, Institutional Cryptocurrency Investment Spikes, NBA Team Uses Ethereum - newsBTC - January 22nd, 2020
- How Cybercriminals Are Converting Cryptocurrency to Cash - BankInfoSecurity.com - January 22nd, 2020
- UK offers $130K for software that can trace Bitcoin, Ethereum, and (hopefully) Monero - The Next Web - January 22nd, 2020
- Hackers have got their hands on $11 billion in stolen cryptocurrency since 2011 - SmartCompany.com.au - January 22nd, 2020
- Thailand launches probe into $2.46M cryptocurrency pyramid scam - The Next Web - January 22nd, 2020
- Moonday Mornings: Its 2020 and the OneCoin scam is still alive - The Next Web - January 22nd, 2020
- $140,600,000 in Bitcoin (BTC) Exits Cryptocurrency Exchange As Whale Moves $6,320,422 in XRP - The Daily Hodl - January 22nd, 2020
- Cryptocurrency No longer banned in India? - The Coin Republic - January 22nd, 2020
- Akons AKOIN Cryptocurrency City White Paper to be Live by February 2020 - The Cryptocurrency Analytics - January 22nd, 2020
- BTC/USD: Will 2020 Bring Clear Vision to the Oldest Cryptocurrency? - FXStreet - January 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Two-day recovery on the rocks as Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple trim gains - FXStreet - January 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin bulls hit the pause button, altcoins follow the lead - FXStreet - January 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency billionaire funds SF-wide web of cameras to help fight crime - KRON4 - January 16th, 2020
- North Korea is Holding a Secretive Cryptocurrency Conference, and Experts Warn it's a Very Bad Idea to Attend - Newsweek - January 16th, 2020
- Ripple Price Analysis: XRP/USD capitalizes on the global cryptocurrency bulls' run - FXStreet - January 16th, 2020
- Bitcoin rises as cryptocurrency has its best January since 2012 - SiliconANGLE News - January 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and Remittance: The Case of Mexico - Crypto Education - Altcoin Buzz - January 16th, 2020
- Ethereum (ETH) - Based Cryptocurrency Tested By The Reserve Bank of Australia as Payment Tool - U.Today - January 16th, 2020
- $1.4B in illicit Bitcoin was laundered via Binance and Huobi last year, report says - The Next Web - January 16th, 2020
- How to minimize the cryptocurrency tax burden this tax season - Canadian Lawyer Magazine - January 16th, 2020
- The future of cryptocurrency - Lexology - January 13th, 2020
- Analyst: Bitcoin Will Skyrocket to $100,000 in 24 Months and Theres Nothing You Can Do About It - CCN.com - January 13th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Slowly Recovers as Buyers Fail to Emerge - Coin Idol - January 13th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Has Earned Its Place as a Safe Haven - Investorplace.com - January 13th, 2020
- eToro CEO On Bitcoin Dominance in the Cryptocurrency Market - The Coin Republic - January 13th, 2020
- Moonday Mornings: Ethereum dev released on $1M bail over North Korea case - The Next Web - January 13th, 2020
- As Bitcoin Struggles, This Minor Cryptocurrency Is Up Almost 500% Over The Past 12 Months - Forbes - January 12th, 2020
- What to expect from cryptocurrency legislation in 2020 - Yahoo Finance - January 12th, 2020
- South Korea Moves Toward Institutional Acceptance of Cryptocurrency - Nasdaq - January 12th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Cap May Surge 37%. But There's One 'If' - U.Today - January 12th, 2020
- Financial Services Agency to limit leverage in cryptocurrency margin trading to twice the deposits made by traders - The Japan Times - January 12th, 2020
- Naive IoT botnet wastes its time mining cryptocurrency - ZDNet - January 12th, 2020
- Directors of bogus Ugandan cryptocurrency startup charged after 4,000 investor complaints - The Next Web - January 12th, 2020
- Can digital gold Bitcoin ever be mined in India? - ETCIO.com - January 12th, 2020
- 321 Cryptocurrency Whales Control Staggering Amounts of Bitcoin, Ethereum And Litecoin - The Daily Hodl - January 12th, 2020
- Why the Worlds Most Used Cryptocurrency isnt Bitcoin - NewsLogical - January 12th, 2020
- South Korea Works to Bring Cryptocurrency Into the Mainstream - The Diplomat - January 5th, 2020
- Most Significant Hacks of 2019 New Record of Twelve in One Year - Cointelegraph - January 5th, 2020
- Why a Technical Analyst Believes Bitcoin Cash (BCH) Will Surge by 80% - newsBTC - January 5th, 2020
- Why Analysts Are Bullish On Cryptocurrency As Bitcoin Turns 11 - Ethereum World News - January 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin is on the Cusp of a Major Price Movement - Crypto Briefing - January 5th, 2020
- 7 Big Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency Predictions for 2020 - The Daily Hodl - January 5th, 2020
- China and Russia begin testing cryptocurrency - Born2Invest - January 5th, 2020
- Ethereum Foundation is an opaque Swiss foundation related to cryptocurrency - AMBCrypto - January 5th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency in Arab World: Clock is Ticking, But Pace is Slow - Finance Magnates - January 5th, 2020
- National Governments Around The Globe Look To Embrace Blockchain - Forbes - January 5th, 2020
- Chinas Dichotomy Between Cryptocurrency And Blockchain - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- What Is a Cryptocurrency? We Need Clearer Definitions - Coindesk - December 31st, 2019
- Ian Balina, The Controversial Face Of Cryptocurrency - Nasdaq - December 31st, 2019
- Cryptocurrency This Week: YouTube Removes Crypto Videos; Russia Bomb Threats Over A Bitcoin Fraud And More - Inc42 Media - December 31st, 2019
- How To Really Help Free North Koreans Through Crypto - Forbes - December 31st, 2019
- The Dividing of Bitcoin to shake markets of cryptocurrency - Market Research Sheets - December 28th, 2019
- The $3 Bilion Bitcoin Dump Isnt Going to Happen - newsBTC - December 27th, 2019
- Googles YouTube Goes To War With Bitcoin And Crypto - Forbes - December 26th, 2019
- Top five cryptocurrency guides of 2019 - Yahoo Finance - December 26th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency is a tool for speculation not an investment - The Globe and Mail - December 26th, 2019
- Rakuten Wallet Will Allow Users to Convert Their Loyalty Points to Cryptocurrency - CryptoVibes - December 26th, 2019
- Top China Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Headlines of 2019 - Crowdfund Insider - December 26th, 2019
- How to Make Money with Cryptocurrency: Beginner's Guide 2019 - December 24th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Market News - Bitcoin and Altcoins News - December 24th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency For Beginners - CryptoCurrency Facts - December 24th, 2019
- Crypto Legislation 2020: Analysis Of 21 Cryptocurrency And Blockchain Bills In Congress - Forbes - December 24th, 2019
- This Trader Sees No Value in Ripple and Its Cryptocurrency XRP - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019
- Why XRP Isnt Surging in Tandem With Rest of the Cryptocurrency Market - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019
- Hackers steal $480,000 worth of NULS cryptocurrency from its dev team - The Next Web - December 24th, 2019
- How VeChain Cryptocurrency Was Able to Track and Freeze $6.1M of Stolen Funds - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019
- This bizarre anime cryptocurrency is now ranked 12 in the world - Decrypt - December 24th, 2019
- Zimbabwe Could End Corruption With This Cryptocurrency Initiative - Bitcoinist - December 24th, 2019
- How will Bitcoin halving shake the cryptocurrency market in 2020? - FXStreet - December 24th, 2019
- How China's National Cryptocurrency Will Improve the Nation's Economy - Bitcoinist - December 24th, 2019
- Why This Developer of the Controversial HEX Cryptocurrency Accused of Scam Left - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019
- Could there be a halal cryptocurrency? - The Malaysian Reserve - December 24th, 2019
- Even 2019s Strongest Cryptocurrency is Unable to Escape the Bear Market - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019
- Why Analysts Across the Board Expect Bitcoin Price to Surge by 8% - newsBTC - December 24th, 2019
- Investors who lost $190m demand exhumation of cryptocurrency mogul - The Guardian - December 14th, 2019
- This little-known cryptocurrency is heading towards the top ten - Decrypt - December 14th, 2019
- Moonday Mornings: IRS readies to tax your cryptocurrency no matter what - The Next Web - December 14th, 2019
- $1.6B in Bitcoin bought during 2017s bull run hasnt moved - The Next Web - December 14th, 2019
- ING bank wants to give clients a compliant way to store cryptocurrency, report - The Next Web - December 14th, 2019