No matter where you are based in the world, learning how to trade cryptocurrency can be a daunting task for any newcomer this anxiety is exacerbated by the notorious volatility of the crypto markets.
Before you begin trading cryptocurrency in the UK, you should always do your research. Without prior knowledge, you are liable to make countless mistakes.
In this guide, we discuss how to trade cryptocurrency in the UK.
UK residents have more options when it comes to trading cryptocurrency than US residents.
This is because the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC) in the USA has been fighting hard for regulation, prompting many exchanges to ban US residents from their services.
Famously, crypto analyst Tone Vays had his BitMEX account terminated on the suspicion that he was a US citizen. UK residents, however, can freely trade on BitMEX at their leisure.
The first point to note about crypto trading is that unlike traditional stock markets, the crypto market is open 24/7.
You must then decide which type of trading you believe will suit you best and which exchange platform is right for you.
Which exchange you choose will largely depend on what type of trading you wish to conduct. You can find our definitive guide to cryptocurrency exchanges here, which includes a list of some of the most popular exchanges and what to look out for.
Spot trading and margin trading are the two most common types of trading, with the exception of over-the-counter (OTC) trading.
Spot trading involves buying or selling an asset with the aim of turning an instant profit.
This might involve selling a certain amount of an asset you already own and then trading with two other assets. The trading will be done on speculation, so you might choose to split your funds equally or go all in on one you feel most confident about.
It is then your hope that you will turn a profit on these assets before selling them and re-buying your original asset, thereby having more of the original asset than you began with.
Margin trading is different because you can trade with leverage. Leverage is borrowed money from an exchange. The amount of leverage on offer to you will differ depending on the platform you are using.
Using leverage means you can generate higher profits because you are staking more funds. If your trade is successful, the exchange will then reclaim the leverage and leave you with the profits.
If the market moves against you, you will be liquidated. This means your original deposit is lost however, you will not have to pay the leverage back. You can learn more about the risks of spot and margin trading here.
OTC trading involves buying or selling an asset directly with no middleman. Fundamentally, this can be as simple as a friend selling you 20 worth of Bitcoin.
OTC trading offers benefits that exchanges do not in that you do not need to provide as much personal information. However, it does come with its own inherent risks, as does any method of crypto trading. You can read our guide on OTC trading here.
LocalBitcoins.com is a popular peer-to-peer (P2P) OTC marketplace where users can facilitate trades with one another.
Once you have identified the type of trading most suitable to you, it is time to learn when to enter the market. Learning about key terms, trade patterns, and previous market cycles will help you make the most informed decision about when you should buy in.
The most important thing to remember is that trading is done on speculation nobody has a concrete idea of how the market will move.
Firstly, you will need to know if you want to go long or short. Going long is when you believe an assets price will rise, while going short is when you believe an assets price will drop.
Of course, you could also just buy some crypto when prices are low and hold on to it for as long as you want before selling when prices are higher.
Learning about support, resistance, and moving averages will help you understand key levels for when to enter or exit the market.
The same is true for studying graphs showing an assets trading history if you notice a pattern re-emerging, then you might be on to something.
You can also do a quick Google search for trading patterns that will bring up illustrations of patterns which also give an indication of what might happen next in the market, such as a falling wedge or Bart Simpson pattern.
When picking an exchange, it is best to read the terms and conditions. While this might seem tedious, you can never be too careful when it comes to crypto trading, even in the UK.
The crypto market is notoriously volatile and can go in any direction at any given point. On this basis, it is wise to conduct your own research because we do not recommend any crypto, exchange, or service in particular, and ultimately you are responsible for any decisions you undertake.
Hopefully this guide has helped you understand how to start trading cryptocurrency in the UK.
You can discover more about the top five tools to master crypto trading, CFD trading, and arbitrage with our guides.
Interested in reading more trading-related guides? Discover more about bid, ask, and bid/ask spread prices with our guide.
The post How to trade cryptocurrency in the UK appeared first on Coin Rivet.
Continue reading here:
How to trade cryptocurrency in the UK - finance.yahoo.com
- Cryptocurrency - CES 2020 - December 4th, 2019
- What is Cryptocurrency? A Simple Explanation - December 4th, 2019
- 8 Best Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Books To Read in 2019 ... - December 4th, 2019
- What Is Cryptocurrency Mining? - Mycryptopedia - December 4th, 2019
- Best Places to Earn Interest on Your Cryptocurrency - Crypto Briefing - December 4th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency 101 in the South Bronx - The New Yorker - December 4th, 2019
- Bitcoin Corrects And What's Next - Seeking Alpha - December 4th, 2019
- Drugs hidden in childs toy lead police to massive $1M cryptocurrency stash - The Next Web - December 4th, 2019
- Chinas blockchain consortium adds cryptocurrency exchange Huobi to its alliance - FXStreet - December 4th, 2019
- Want to Pay for Your Stay with Cryptocurrency? Head to Vir Island - Total Croatia News - December 4th, 2019
- Thai SEC to Amend its Royal Decree on Cryptocurrency - The Tokenist - December 4th, 2019
- German Banks Will Be Allowed to Buy, Sell, and Store Cryptocurrency Starting New Years Day Crypto.IQ | Bitcoin and Investment News from Inside... - December 4th, 2019
- India vs. the people: The battle over cryptocurrency ownership continues - Forkast News - December 2nd, 2019
- Cryptocurrency This Week: Binance Launches Ethereum Futures, Hackers Steal $50 Mn From Korean Exchange And ... - Inc42 Media - December 2nd, 2019
- China Shuts Down 173 Cryptocurrency Exchanges and Token-Issuing Platforms - BeInCrypto - December 2nd, 2019
- More traditional investors are eyeing cryptocurrency to diversify their portfolios - Forkast News - December 2nd, 2019
- U.S. Authorities Arrest Virgil Griffith For Teaching Cryptocurrency And Blockchain - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- What Hides Behind South Korean Cryptocurrency Regulation Policy? - The Diplomat - November 30th, 2019
- CipherTrace Q3 2019 Cryptocurrency AML Report: 2/3 of the Top 120 - AiThority - November 30th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Crime Spikes This Year and SMBs are Paying the Price - Commercial Integrator - November 30th, 2019
- $150 Billion Cryptocurrency Boom Is Here Buy This ETF to Profit - Banyan Hill Publishing - November 30th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency crime surges, losses hit $4.4 billion by end-September: CipherTrace report - Reuters - November 28th, 2019
- More traditional investors are eyeing cryptocurrency to diversity their portfolios - Forkast News - November 28th, 2019
- Binance CEO: China has never been pro-Bitcoin or pro-cryptocurrency - AMBCrypto - November 28th, 2019
- Nearly $50 Million of Ether Swiped From South Korean Cryptocurrency Exchange - The Wall Street Journal - November 28th, 2019
- The Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin back on recovery track, Ripple and Ethereum follow the lead - FXStreet - November 28th, 2019
- What the Crypto Markets Are Saying About the Future of Bitcoin - Coindesk - November 28th, 2019
- Thailand: Cryptocurrency Law Will Change in 2020 to Stay Competitive - Cointelegraph - November 28th, 2019
- Navigating the Token Crypt: What Options Are Available For Investing Cryptocurrency? - Nasdaq - November 28th, 2019
- This Cryptocurrency Is Up 11310% in a Week. Legit Scam or Just Legit? - CCN.com - November 28th, 2019
- The Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin sits above $7,000 as the trading range is narrowing - FXStreet - November 28th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency policies must combat snake oil without stifling innovation - The Globe and Mail - November 28th, 2019
- Akon has started building Akon City in Senegal with focus on cryptocurrency and renewable energy - Evening Standard - November 28th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency steps closer to legalization in South Korea - CoinGeek - November 28th, 2019
- Dwight Schrute tells Bitcoin holders to give their worthless cryptocurrency to a non-profit - The Next Web - November 22nd, 2019
- VinDAX Is the Seventh Cryptocurrency Exchange Hacked This Year: What Should Investors Be Considering? - Lexology - November 22nd, 2019
- Bitfinex Announces Strategic Collaboration with ODEM to Expand Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Education - PRNewswire - November 22nd, 2019
- How a seven-week Wharton course brings the study of cryptocurrency to the classroom - The Daily Pennsylvanian - November 22nd, 2019
- The cryptocurrency market update: Bitcoin bears have an upper hand - FXStreet - November 22nd, 2019
- Sacramento Kings Lead The Way For Sports In Cryptocurrency Solutions - Front Office Sports - November 22nd, 2019
- This week in Cryptocurrency - Born2Invest - November 22nd, 2019
- South African cryptocurrency exchanges will be having their bank accounts shut down - FXStreet - November 22nd, 2019
- PayPal CEO Holds Bitcoin and Only Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - November 22nd, 2019
- Cryptocurrency exchange that went dark with $16M in user funds only has $45k, report - The Next Web - November 20th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency market update: $5 billion wiped off as Bitcoin bears take a breather - FXStreet - November 20th, 2019
- The cryptocurrency market update: Bitcoin bears hit the pause button - FXStreet - November 20th, 2019
- This cryptocurrencys price just pumped 7,000%, but why? - Decrypt - November 20th, 2019
- Swedish gold-for-cryptocurrency scammer finally extradited to US - The Next Web - November 20th, 2019
- Binance US Adds Nano (NANO) as Its 26th Cryptocurrency - SludgeFeed - November 20th, 2019
- Is the IRS HODLing Out on Us? IRS Issues Additional Cryptocurrency Guidance Addressing Hard Forks, Soft Forks, and Airdrops - JD Supra - November 20th, 2019
- Maksim Zaslavskiy of the cryptocurrency Recoin was sentenced to 18 months in prison for lying to investors - Crain's New York Business - November 20th, 2019
- Cryptocurrencies | Category | Fox Business - November 1st, 2019
- Best cryptocurrency to Invest 2019 - The Complete Guide - November 1st, 2019
- Best Cryptocurrency to Invest 2019 Our Top 4 Picks - October 22nd, 2019
- Buy Cryptocurrency with Credit Card or Bank Transfer now ... - September 30th, 2019
- Best 10 Cryptocurrency Brokers - Updated for 2019 (Safe ... - September 30th, 2019
- Fidelity Said to Offer Cryptocurrency Trading Within a Few ... - May 10th, 2019
- Is This Cryptocurrency The Next Bitcoin? - forbes.com - April 28th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Definition | Bankrate.com - April 26th, 2019
- Samsung is developing its own blockchain network, report claims - April 26th, 2019
- 2019s best cryptocurrency wallets | 70+ compared | finder.com - April 26th, 2019
- What is cryptocurrency? - Definition from WhatIs.com - April 25th, 2019
- A Beginner's Guide to Cryptocoin Mining: What You Need to ... - April 25th, 2019
- How Cryptocurrency Assets Are Becoming A New Battleground In ... - April 21st, 2019
- What is Cryptocurrency: Cryptocurrency Explained the Easy Way - April 13th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Trading | TD Ameritrade - April 8th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Prices, Charts, and Market Cap Data - UNHASHED - April 8th, 2019
- Blow To Bitcoin As World's Largest Cryptocurrency IPO Is Iced - April 2nd, 2019
- How and where do I report Cryptocurrency coin-to-coin ... - March 22nd, 2019
- Hundreds of Millions in Cryptocurrency Vanishes After ... - March 11th, 2019
- Fidelity's new cryptocurrency company is up and running ... - March 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Exchange Says It Can't Access $190 Million ... - February 5th, 2019
- What's the Best Cryptocurrency to Invest in Today? - January 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Trading Easy tips to get started | AvaTrade - January 9th, 2019
- Thailand Issues 4 Cryptocurrency Licenses, Rejects 2 ... - January 9th, 2019
- NASDAQ, Fidelity Invest in New Cryptocurrency Exchange ... - January 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News | Cryptocurrency News | Blockchain ... - January 9th, 2019
- Differences Between Cryptocurrency Coins and Tokens - January 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Charts - January 8th, 2019
- What is cryptocurrency? - cointelegraph.com - January 4th, 2019