Since it was created, nearly a decade ago, bitcoinand the cryptocurrency market it spawnedhavefaced a constant stream of doomsayers declaring the coin dead or headed for obsolescence. Even so, ten years later, a singlebitcoin is worth fourfigures, and it appears to have found some stability in tandem with its growing maturity. The same cant be said for the sector which now includes thousands of coins and tokens, each of which exhibits varying degrees of success.
Moreover, for all theirpromise,cryptocurrenciesstill can't seem tobreak into the mainstream. There are still very few merchants that accept crypto payments, and most financial services continue to be settled in fiat currencies. Critics saycrypto may have been a flash in the pan. For supporters, though, the signs are clear that even with the current culling of the crypto ranks, the sector will emerge stronger.
The real question is, which group is right?
As of August 2018, the number of cryptocurrencies on the market liessomewhereabove 2,000. This should be a clear signal that the sector is booming, but the numbers are deceptive. A report issued in July of this year found that more than 800 of those are essentially dead, that isworth less than one cent. This comes on the heels of reports of rampant scams and fraud in the initial coin offering (ICO) market, and other signs of trouble for the sector.
The trouble starts with bitcoin itself, as the cryptocurrency faced substantial difficulty in 2018. After reaching stratospheric heights with a near-$20,000 valuation in December 2017, bitcoin prices came crashing down in January, and have struggled to reach last years' heights. Additionally, the value of crypto transactions carried out, which was astronomical in the first quarter of the year, collapsed by nearly 75% during the second quarter. The number of transactions fell from nearly 360,000in late 2017 to roughly 230,000 by September of this year.
The lack of acceptance, especially in the investment arena can partially be attributed to the US SECs denial of more than a dozen applications to list bitcoin exchange-traded funds (ETFs). More importantly, the leeway and freedom cryptocurrenciesenjoyed as unregulated commodities is rapidly coming to an end. 2018 has witnesseda drastic upswingin regulatory efforts, with countries across the globe taking a more serious and deliberate stance. This, many skeptics say, could be yet another nail in the coffin, stifling growth and limiting the sectors true potential as a disintermediating force.
On the other hand, these are not necessarily new critiques of the crypto sector. While it is true that bitcoin pricesand by extension most other cryptocurrenciescrashed in early2018, the volatility that once defined the market appears to be gradually fading. While this is bad news for speculators, it is excellent news for institutional investorswhomany believe are the key to unlocking cryptos future.
More relevantly, cryptocurrencies, and blockchain in general, are starting to garner more mainstream adoption. While merchants remain wary ofdigital currencies, banks, major tech firms, and other corporations have already started employing them.
As Ceek VR CEO and founder Mary Spio noted, cryptocurrency is nowhere near dead, its just scratching the tip of the iceberg toward mainstream adoption, when companies offer purposeful real life value and integration of cryptocurrencies, we will begin to see the next wave and resurgence of cryptocurrency. Its all about creating more natural demand and less speculation and hype. Indeed, it seems many of the cryptocurrencies that have fadedwere those based on hype and little else.
Even though 2018 has seen a downturn in the market following the bull run in 2017, we are convinced that the future holds a rebound, driven by institutional capital flowing into crypto assets. Within crypto assets, the wealth distribution will shift away from utility tokens towards Bitcoin and likely security tokens, said Agada Nameri from iCapital, an iAngels subsidiary dedicated to blockchain opportunities.
It seems that while many have shot down the idea that bitcoin and the crypto market are mainstream, the sector is determined to prove them wrong. While cryptocurrencies may still not be a standard for payments and value exchanges, the technology that underlies themblockchainis quickly becoming a standard in a variety of sectors and industries. Perhaps more crucially, the services that these tools provide are all based on, and powered by, cryptocurrencies and tokens. As companies continue to fix pain points and uncover new frictionless solutions to old problems with blockchain, crypto will flex its muscles even further.
Despite its many doubters and doomsayers, the crypto market has continued to plug along and thrive. Although prices have fluctuated wildlyand in some cases enormously to the downsidethe sector is finally starting to stabilize and increasingly appears to be leaving its infancy behind.
As more companies discover uses for crypto and blockchain, and more users accept themas a way to simplify their lives, theywill remain a central point of conversation in technology. More interestingly, as it better demonstrates its value in a variety of situationsfrom banking to buying coffeethe technology will further ingrain itself. Coins may come and go, and many cryptocurrencies are indeed likely to fail, but the sector will continue to forge ahead unabated.
Go here to read the rest:
Is Cryptocurrency Dead for Good? | Investopedia
- Cryptocurrency trading vs. forex: The similarities and differences - AZ Big Media - June 25th, 2020
- Financial Inclusion, Cryptocurrency and the Developing World - Cointelegraph - June 25th, 2020
- Phishing and cryptocurrency scams squashed as one million emails are reported to new anti-scam hotline - ZDNet - June 25th, 2020
- 83% of BTCs addresses are smiling to the Bank - Nairametrics - June 25th, 2020
- Protesters Around The World Are Putting Their Hopes Into Cryptocurrency - Forbes - June 25th, 2020
- The Benefits of Cryptocurrency Trading Crypto Benzinga - Benzinga - June 25th, 2020
- Miners Are Sending Bitcoins to Exchanges Again and That May Be Bearish - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 25th, 2020
- Akon City: $6 Billion Cryptocurrency City Set to Begin Construction | News - Bitcoin News - June 25th, 2020
- UNICEF Cryptocurrency Fund announces its largest investment of startups in developing and emerging economies - UNICEF - June 25th, 2020
- NetCents Technology paves the way for mainstream cryptocurrency adoption by offering daily settlements to merchants - Proactive Investors USA &... - June 25th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Share Analysis and Research Report by 2025 - CueReport - June 25th, 2020
- From Ethereum to Stellar, to Solana: Cryptocurrency Kin Confirms Blockchain Migration - CoinDesk - June 25th, 2020
- Jim Rogers Discusses Bitcoin as Money and Why Governments Will Stop Crypto | News - Bitcoin News - June 25th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Bitmain, NVIDIA, Xilinx, Intel, Advanced Micro Devices, Ripple, Bitfury, Ethereum Foundation, CoinBase,... - June 25th, 2020
- EY Launches First-Of-Its-Kind Cryptocurrency Reporting App - PRNewswire - June 25th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency: Redefining the Future of Finance - Visual Capitalist - June 16th, 2020
- A Cryptocurrency User Paid $2.6M In Transaction Fee To Send $136 Twice - Benzinga - June 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Regulations in times of COVID-19: A boon or bane to India? - Lexology - June 16th, 2020
- Are CryptoCurrencies The Future Of Finance? - Digital Information World - June 16th, 2020
- Nevermind Coinbase Big Brother Is Already Watching Your Coins - Cointelegraph - June 16th, 2020
- Fireblocks integrates with Chainalysis to set a new compliance and security standard for financial institutions and cryptocurrency businesses -... - June 16th, 2020
- Creating A Crypto-Exchange - The Types & The Steps - YourStory - June 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin and the rest of cryptos following the global stock market - FXStreet - June 16th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Cryptocurrency Market by COVID19 Impact Analysis And Top Manufacturers: ZEB IT Service, Coinsecure, Coinbase, Bitstamp, Litecoin,... - June 16th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Intel, CoinBase, BitGo, and Binance - WorldsTrend - June 16th, 2020
- Justice Gets 15 Guilty Pleas for International Crime Ring that Laundered Money Through Cryptocurrency Exchanges - Nextgov - June 13th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin Suddenly Dropped 6% on Thursday - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 13th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 13th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin drops to $9,100, the rest of the market follows suit - FXStreet - June 13th, 2020
- Due to COVID-19 Cryptocurrency Market Groundwork 2020: Provides an In-Depth Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Global Market Trends Forecast... - June 13th, 2020
- Binance Launches Quarterly BTC/USD Futures With Up To 125x Leverage - Benzinga - June 13th, 2020
- CashTelex Is Driving Mainstream Crypto Adoption Through Its Brand New Physical Asset-Backed Cryptocurrency CTLX - Yahoo Finance - June 13th, 2020
- Chainalysis Partners with A&D Forensics, Expanding Access to its Cryptocurrency Investigative Tools in Africa - bitcoinke.io - June 13th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Can Become a Medicine to Treat the Challenges Caused by Covid-19 - Coin Idol - June 13th, 2020
- Global Cryptocurrency Mining Market Expected to Reach Highest CAGR by 2025 Top Players: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc, Russian Miner Coin, Halong... - June 13th, 2020
- The emerging world of cryptocurrency - Global Banking And Finance Review - June 13th, 2020
- Someone paid $2.6 million in fees to move $134 worth of crypto and oops - Mashable - June 11th, 2020
- 80% of US and European Institutional Investors Find Cryptocurrency Appealing: Survey - Bitcoin News - June 11th, 2020
- Zilliqa, the fast-rising cryptocurrency that has gained more than 845% since March - Nairametrics - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency misappropriation, hacking, theft and fraud on target for banner year - JD Supra - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Quotes and Forecasts: Last Updates on Cryptocurrencies - FinSMEs - June 11th, 2020
- Europol busts $17 million illegal Netflix site that used cryptocurrency - Decrypt - June 11th, 2020
- Watch | What is crypto-jacking? - The Hindu - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and Capital Gains: The Sources of Vermont Candidates' Wealth - Seven Days - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market 2020 | Scope of Current and Future Industry 2026 - Surfacing Magazine - June 11th, 2020
- Meet ZCash, the cryptocurrency that protects your privacy better than Bitcoin - Nairametrics - June 11th, 2020
- Riot Blockchain Continues Optimization of Mining Operations - AiThority - June 11th, 2020
- GPU as a Service Market to Witness Remarkable Gains From Cryptocurrency Mining Applications 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: IOTA rockets to the moon Bitcoin, Ripple and Ethereum in consolidation - FXStreet - June 11th, 2020
- The Bull & The Bear: Dispelling, Confirming Myths and Truths About Crypto - Money and Markets - June 11th, 2020
- Trio of Analysts Bullish on Ethereum (ETH) As Cryptocurrency Shows Robust Fundamentals - The Daily Hodl - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin needs to settle above $10,600 to avoid the sell-off - FXStreet - June 11th, 2020
- Regulating cryptocurrency exchanges - The Indian Express - June 2nd, 2020
- Russia Sort Of Dropped The Hammer On Bitcoin, Crypto - Forbes - June 2nd, 2020
- Cryptocurrency This Week: Indian Crypto Exchanges Witness Surge In New Users, Bitcoin Sees $1000 Spike & More - Inc42 Media - June 2nd, 2020
- SEC Wins Terminating Sanctions Against Cryptocurrency Creator - Law Street Media - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin hodl waves indicate 60% of the cryptocurrency is being hoarded analysts suggest a bull run could be - Business Insider India - June 2nd, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies and Online Gaming: 4 Use Cases - the blockchain land - June 2nd, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Its a sea of red in the crypto market today - FXStreet - June 2nd, 2020
- Japanese Finance Minister May Be Opposed to Lowering Tax on Crypto - Cointelegraph - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash Vietnam-Based Fiat-to-Crypto Trading Support Added to Bvnex Exchange | Exchanges - Bitcoin News - June 2nd, 2020
- Crypto.com Becomes the First Cryptocurrency Company in the World to Achieve ISO/IEC 27701:2019 Certification - WFMZ Allentown - June 2nd, 2020
- Todays cache | Crypto-jacking, and more - The Hindu - June 2nd, 2020
- The Ethereum cryptocurrency has risen above $250,71, showing an increase of 5% - The Times Hub - June 2nd, 2020
- Chinas Cryptocurrency Legitimate Threat to Bitcoin and Dollar - Move Your Money - June 2nd, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Intel, CoinBase, BitGo, and... - Azizsalon News - June 2nd, 2020
- As Bitcoin Flounders, This Tiny Cryptocurrency Has Soared Over 200%Heres Why - Forbes - May 23rd, 2020
- What to Know About Billions' Cryptocurrency Drama If You Know Nothing About Cryptocurrency - Vulture - May 23rd, 2020
- Tether, the most promising stable coin, now the third most valuable cryptocurrency - Nairametrics - May 23rd, 2020
- Taxation on the Cryptocurrency - Live Bitcoin News - May 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Worth $282K from the 2016 Bitfinex Hack on the Move - Bitcoin News - May 23rd, 2020
- A detailed overview of Cryptocurrency Market [PDF] with innovation in technology, various aspects of the industry players, regions, types, and... - May 23rd, 2020
- Why Have Cryptocurrency Payments Failed to Take Off So Far? - Cointelegraph - May 22nd, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and COVID-19: Bitcoins Path to a Safe Haven - Cointelegraph - May 22nd, 2020
- Analysis on Impact of COVID-19- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market 2020-2024 | Rising Popularity Of Mining Pools to Boost Growth | Technavio -... - May 22nd, 2020
- Top Cryptocurrency Trading Bots 2020 - Conquer The World - KryptoMoney - May 22nd, 2020
- Crypto hedge funds struggle to recover from bloodbath - Financial Times - May 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoins prices slip amid speculation that a block of the cryptocurrency possibly linked to creator Satoshi Nakamoto just changed hands - MarketWatch - May 20th, 2020
- Is 2020 the year to invest in cryptocurrency? - About Manchester - May 20th, 2020
- Ripple, third most valuable cryptocurrency, gets approval from the US for money transfers - Nairametrics - May 20th, 2020