Cryptocurrency, like Bitcoin, is an extremely new technology and financial asset, that hasnt truly yet become widely adopted or proven its use case. The disruptive new fintech has incredible potential that could revolutionize the future of finance, but only if a black swan event doesnt come along and send it to an early grave.
But that black swan event may be here in the form of the coronavirus. Its already causing traditional markets to collapse, and the high-risk cryptocurrency asset class may be next to experience a panic-induced selloff of cataclysmic proportions.
Bitcoin and the technology powering cryptocurrency assets was born from the last major economic recession.
Newspaper headlines referencing the bank bailouts during this time are even referenced in Bitcoins earliest blocks.
Recession-proofing Bitcoin was among the creators key design attributes, and include a hard-coded, digital scarcity, and a regularly scheduled reduction in supply.
Related Reading | Has the Coronavirus Put an End To the Bitcoin Safe Haven Narrative?
And although the cryptocurrency certainly is equipped to withstand the collapse of fiat currencies, and perhaps provide a flight of safety for capital to flow into, the asset class may simply be too young at this point to withstand a black swan event.
A black swan event is a term popularized by finance professor and former Wall Street trader Nassim Nicholas Taleb, who authored a book on the 2008 recession.
Black swan events are cataclysmic events that completely unpredictable and unpreventable, and grave consequences due to how the event takes the world by surprise.
The coronavirus is potentially one of those black swan events.
The coronavirus in just a few short months went from an unusual, yet severe respiratory ailment, to a widespread pandemic on the verge of collapsing the economy.
Transportation, a key factor in the function of any economy, has been restricted, and production and many of the worlds largest manufacturing facilities have declined as a result of the virus spreading.
The death toll is sending investors into a downward spiral of panic, which prompted the largest one-week decline in the stock market since the great recession.
If the stock market is tanking, and investors are selling off their assets in a complete panic in an attempt to cash out while they still can and de-risk from further decline, what might a similar selloff do to cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin should the fears hit the crypto market in the same way?
Compared to the stock market, cryptocurrencies are just a flash in the pan in terms of overall capital invested and liquidity. A massive, panic selloff in crypto markets would likely not have enough liquidity to accommodate every person seeking to cash out.
The selloff could crush prices completely, to the point of no return.
Even key crypto market executives such as Matthew Hougan, the vice president of research and development at Bitwise warns that a black swan event is possible in the cryptocurrency space.
Related Reading | Stock Market, Bitcoin, and Gold: Everything Is Collapsing Together
Examples of the type of black swan events that could interfere with the longevity of cryptocurrency include overly aggressive regulation, exchanges going under, or massive breaches of underlying blockchain networks.
But remember, black swan events are typically unpredictable, and among the scenarios crypto investors likely never saw coming, is a pandemic wiping out their life savings and putting their lives at risk.
See the article here:
Is the Coronavirus The Black Swan Event That Crushes Cryptocurrency? - newsBTC
- As Bitcoin Flounders, This Tiny Cryptocurrency Has Soared Over 200%Heres Why - Forbes - May 23rd, 2020
- What to Know About Billions' Cryptocurrency Drama If You Know Nothing About Cryptocurrency - Vulture - May 23rd, 2020
- Tether, the most promising stable coin, now the third most valuable cryptocurrency - Nairametrics - May 23rd, 2020
- Taxation on the Cryptocurrency - Live Bitcoin News - May 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Worth $282K from the 2016 Bitfinex Hack on the Move - Bitcoin News - May 23rd, 2020
- A detailed overview of Cryptocurrency Market [PDF] with innovation in technology, various aspects of the industry players, regions, types, and... - May 23rd, 2020
- Why Have Cryptocurrency Payments Failed to Take Off So Far? - Cointelegraph - May 22nd, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and COVID-19: Bitcoins Path to a Safe Haven - Cointelegraph - May 22nd, 2020
- Analysis on Impact of COVID-19- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market 2020-2024 | Rising Popularity Of Mining Pools to Boost Growth | Technavio -... - May 22nd, 2020
- Top Cryptocurrency Trading Bots 2020 - Conquer The World - KryptoMoney - May 22nd, 2020
- Crypto hedge funds struggle to recover from bloodbath - Financial Times - May 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoins prices slip amid speculation that a block of the cryptocurrency possibly linked to creator Satoshi Nakamoto just changed hands - MarketWatch - May 20th, 2020
- Is 2020 the year to invest in cryptocurrency? - About Manchester - May 20th, 2020
- Ripple, third most valuable cryptocurrency, gets approval from the US for money transfers - Nairametrics - May 20th, 2020
- PODCAST | Why is Africa the most promising region for cryptocurrency? - Business Day - May 20th, 2020
- Learn how to invest in the stock market and cryptocurrency - New York Post - May 20th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact ON Cryptocurrency Exchanges Market: Size, Market Analysis, Application, Growth Drivers, Trends, status and Research Report by 2025 -... - May 20th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market 2020 Size & Share Outlook with COVID-19 Impact Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 20th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Receiving Massive Favor Amidst Inflation - Move Your Money - May 20th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market 2020 Global Overview, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Leading Company Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole... - May 20th, 2020
- Telegram shuts down its cryptocurrency operation - The Verge - May 18th, 2020
- The Global Digital Asset & Cryptocurrency Association in Chicago wants to be the one to regulate digital currencies - Crain's Chicago Business - May 15th, 2020
- Bitcoin halving Q&A: what it's all about and what it means for the cryptocurrency - The Conversation US - May 15th, 2020
- This Minor Cryptocurrency Is On Track To Smash Bitcoin In 2020 - Forbes - May 15th, 2020
- FATF: How Will the Guidelines Affect Canadas Crypto Industry? - Finance Magnates - May 15th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency market update: Donald Trump will send Bitcoin to the moon - FXStreet - May 15th, 2020
- Bitcoin and cryptocurrency markets: Where next? - FXStreet - May 15th, 2020
- Thailand Sticks by its Cryptocurrency Commitment - The Phuket News - May 15th, 2020
- Man charged over cryptocurrency investment fraud - The Star Online - May 15th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin in tactical retreat to $9,600 before another jump to $10,000 - FXStreet - May 15th, 2020
- No way around it: the irreparable damage cryptocurrency does to the environment - Green Prophet - May 15th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin fails to hit 10K but could make another push - FXStreet - May 15th, 2020
- Teen Hackers Accused of Cryptocurrency Theft, Sued For $71 Mn - CISO MAG - May 11th, 2020
- Paul Tudor Jones calls bitcoin a 'great speculation,' says he has almost 2% of his assets in it - CNBC - May 11th, 2020
- Coinbase CEO Says New Cryptocurrency Bill Would Have Major Impact on Future of Finance - The Daily Hodl - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bloodbath as Bitcoin nosedives to $8,000, Ethereum $180 and Ripple $0.1780 - FXStreet - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 11th, 2020
- The IRS Wants to Know About Your Cryptocurrency Transactions - Interesting Engineering - May 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin's halving might see a large influx of investors wanting a piece of the cryptocurrency market - Mashable SE Asia - May 11th, 2020
- Investors Who Bought iMining Blockchain and Cryptocurrency (CVE:IMIN) Shares A Year Ago Are Now Up 56% - Simply Wall St - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple have a bullish start to Saturday, following Fridays drop - FXStreet - May 11th, 2020
- What is a cryptocurrency and why is it needed? - AMBCrypto English - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Litecoin dipped to 12% - The Times Hub - May 11th, 2020
- Hong Kong Cryptocurrency Platform Crypto.com Announces New $100 Million Insurance Policy Led By Arch Underwriting That Extends Total Coverage to $360... - May 11th, 2020
- Verady Unveils Ledgible Accounting Partnerships With Blockchain.Com and Algorand - AiThority - May 7th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin leaves behind Ethereum and Ripple in the dust as bulls start consolidating their positions pre-halving -... - May 7th, 2020
- 7 Explosive Cryptocurrencies to Buy for the Bitcoin Halvening - InvestorPlace - May 7th, 2020
- Talking Crypto: Learn to really understand the world of cryptocurrency - Financial Post - May 5th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency This Week: Crypto Exchanges Seeks GST Clarification From RBI & More - Inc42 Media - May 5th, 2020
- Google Profits off Impersonations of Banned Cryptocurrency Celebs and Companies - Bitcoin News - May 5th, 2020
- Andreessen Horowitz Creates Second Cryptocurrency Fund With $515M Investment - Benzinga - May 5th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency And Blockchain Technology Market to Observe Strong Development by 2022 - Kentucky Journal 24 - May 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Accounts For 78% Of The Cryptocurrency Derivatives Market In Q1 2020, Study Finds - CryptoPotato - May 5th, 2020
- MyCryptoMixer 2020 - The Best Bitcoin Mixer Necessary To Protect User's Anonymity and Privacy | Press release - Bitcoin News - May 5th, 2020
- TenX Debit Card Allows Spending Crypto as Cash - Move Your Money - May 5th, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies are gaining major traction as global economy shrinks - IOL - May 5th, 2020
- Total Cryptocurrency Market Cap Adds $20 Billion In Less Than 24 Hours - newsBTC - April 29th, 2020
- US Congress Considering More Than Two Dozen Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Proposals - The Daily Hodl - April 29th, 2020
- Congress Has Now Introduced 32 Crypto And Blockchain Bills - Forbes - April 29th, 2020
- Did This Norwegian Multimillionaire Invent a Cryptocurrency Ransom to Cover Up the Murder of His Wife? - Vanity Fair - April 29th, 2020
- Drawbacks of Cryptocurrency Exchanges - How Non-Custodial Services Are the Solution | Sponsored - Bitcoin News - April 29th, 2020
- Circuit Breakers Could Be Coming to CryptoBut Will they Be Effective? - Finance Magnates - April 29th, 2020
- North Koreas Alleged $670M Cryptocurrency Stash in Question Amid Rumors of Kim Jong-Uns Death - BeInCrypto - April 29th, 2020
- Tips to Understand Cryptocurrency and White Paper - Crypto Daily - April 29th, 2020
- Ethereum Near Levels That Sent Price 25% Down in 2019 - newsBTC - April 29th, 2020
- $8.8 Trillion Traded in Cryptocurrency Spot and Futures Markets in Q1: Reports | Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 29th, 2020
- Things You Should Be Aware Of Behind the Cryptocurrency And 5G Covid-19 Plot - The Coin Republic - April 29th, 2020
- New cryptocurrency 'CRO' to list on CoinDCX crypto exchange, to be traded in two pairs - CNBCTV18 - April 29th, 2020
- Binance-backed Cryptocurrency Derivatives Exchange FTX to Launch Spot Trading in the US - Crowdfund Insider - April 29th, 2020
- Some US Citizens Look to Be Splashing Their Stimulus Cash on Cryptocurrency - CoinDesk - April 24th, 2020
- There's Cryptocurrency Twist in Crazy 5G COVID-19 Conspiracy - U.Today - April 24th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency predictions: what coins to choose in 2020? - Capital.com - April 24th, 2020
- This is what happens to cryptocurrency paid out in sextortion campaigns - ZDNet - April 24th, 2020
- This AI-focused cryptocurrency is up 300%, but on-chain fundamentals spell trouble - CryptoSlate - April 24th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin. Ethereum and Ripple in total lockdown as consolidation takes over - FXStreet - April 24th, 2020
- Tether Surpasses XRP to Become the Third-Largest Cryptocurrency - newsBTC - April 24th, 2020
- TaxBit Simplifies Cryptocurrency Taxes with Innovative Reporting and Audit Tools - BTCMANAGER - April 24th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Price Analysis: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, and ChainLink Where Are They Heading? - Coingape - April 24th, 2020
- Is Chinas National Cryptocurrency The Beginning Of A New Financial Era? - The Coin Republic - April 24th, 2020
- Ripple Executive Says Institutional Trading Boosting XRP Behind the Scenes, With Cryptocurrency Exchange Bitso Taking the Lead - The Daily Hodl - April 24th, 2020