Bitcoin, which has been rallying over the last few weeks after being trapped in a more than year-long bear market, remains far below its all-time high of near $20,000 per bitcoin as traders and investors wait for major financial institutions and retailers to wade into cryptocurrencies.
The bitcoin price has recently climbed back above the psychological $5,000 per bitcoin mark, adding some 45% so far this year. Some smaller cryptocurrencies have climbed far more with a few, including binance coin, created by the Malta-based bitcoin and cryptocurrency exchange Binance, rallying back to all-time highs set in late 2017.
Now, bitcoin and cryptocurrency financial rating agency,Weiss Ratings has suggested binance coin could be the next bitcoin due to it dictating the direction of the market in recent weeks.
Many smaller cryptocurrencies, as well as bitcoin, have climbed in recent months with binance coin adding 300% so far this year.
Bitcoin has historically decided the direction of the cryptocurrency market, with bitcoin's price moves pushing and pulling smaller cryptocurrencies.
As the cryptocurrency market has matured, however, smaller cryptocurrencies have increasingly found their own direction independent of bitcoin, with binance coin, an ethereum token used to pay fees on Binance, the world's largest cryptocurrency exchange by volume, increasingly leading the market, according to Weiss Ratings.
Binance coin is up by more than 300% this year,gaining the most of thetop 10 cryptocurrencies by market capitalization, CoinMarketCap data shows. The recent launch of Binance Chain earlier this month triggered another binance coin price rally, taking it above its previous all-time high of $24 per token.
Weiss Ratings took to Twitter to suggest binance coin could be the new bitcoin.
Last month, Weiss Ratings gave binance coin an overall rating of B-, putting it in the same class as bitcoin, Ripple's XRP, and EOS, a rival to ethereum.
The Weiss report gave the world's biggest cryptocurrencies overall score, most of which were not as good as their combined tech and adoption grades. EOS, bitcoin, Ripple's XRP, and binance coin all scored a B-, while litecoin, ethereum, cardano, stellar, Neo, and tron were assigned a C+.
"Binance merits a B-, but its grade is currently influenced by a recent surge in its market price, which may not be sustainable," the report authors warned.
Thereport, tantalizingly entitled Dark Shadows With A Bright Future, also assigned letter grades to cryptocurrencies that have the best combination of adoption and technology, putting EOS at the top of the field, above its long-time rival ethereum and in the same class as bitcoin and Ripple's XRP.
Weiss Ratings gave binance coin the same overall grade as bitcoin, EOS, and Ripple's XRP.
Binance coinis currently the seventh biggest cryptocurrency by market capitalization, according to CoinMarketCap data, with a total value of $3.3 billion. This is a far cry from bitcoin's lofty valuation, which is nudging $100 billion.
Binance coin has been boosted recently by the well-publicized launch of theBinance DEX (Decentralized Exchange) after the company released its testnet for public use in February.
The Binance DEX is expected to be the world's first widely-used decentralized exchange and is built on Binances own blockchain, Binance Chain. The decentralized exchange will allow users to retain control of their own private keys, something that many cryptocurrency users have long called for so hackers are not able to break into accounts if the centralized exchange database is compromised.
Binance coin has been climbing ahead of the launch of Binance's decentralized exchange.
Meanwhile, Binance has courted controversy recently with the "de-listing" of bitcoin SV, a fork of bitcoin which split from bitcoin cash last November.
Last week, Binance said it will de-list bitcoin SV, striking it from the exchange as of April 22 as it no longer "meet[s] the high level of standard we expect."
Ahead of the decision, which was then adopted by other major crypto exchanges, the widely-respected chief executive of Binance, Changpeng Zhao (often known simply as CZ), warned that his exchange could remove bitcoin SV if its biggest proponent, Craig Wright, continues to claim to be bitcoin's creator, the mysterious Satoshi Nakamoto, and attack those who disagree with him.
Bitcoin SV developers and supporters attacked the decision, accusing Binance and CZ of "market manipulation."
"This decision will certainly be reported to the Maltese regulators as this is surely a case of people in trusted positions abusing that trust and playing God with which token gets the most volume and market access," Calvin Ayre, a supporter of Wright and the founder and owner of CoinGeek, a cryptocurrency miner and developer, told theFinancial Timesin response to the de-listing. "In essence, market manipulation."
"The decision to delist bitcoin SV seems to be based on the fact that they dont like one scientist that works on the platform," Ayre added. "Craig [Wright] doesnt own [bitcoin SV], nor does anybody, so this appears to be very unprofessional. An exchange should just want volume of trading not picking which horses it wants to win the race and, as a result, smells of fear and manipulation."
See the original post here:
Is This Cryptocurrency The Next Bitcoin? - forbes.com
- Cryptocurrency - CES 2020 - December 4th, 2019
- What is Cryptocurrency? A Simple Explanation - December 4th, 2019
- 8 Best Blockchain & Cryptocurrency Books To Read in 2019 ... - December 4th, 2019
- What Is Cryptocurrency Mining? - Mycryptopedia - December 4th, 2019
- Best Places to Earn Interest on Your Cryptocurrency - Crypto Briefing - December 4th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency 101 in the South Bronx - The New Yorker - December 4th, 2019
- Bitcoin Corrects And What's Next - Seeking Alpha - December 4th, 2019
- Drugs hidden in childs toy lead police to massive $1M cryptocurrency stash - The Next Web - December 4th, 2019
- Chinas blockchain consortium adds cryptocurrency exchange Huobi to its alliance - FXStreet - December 4th, 2019
- Want to Pay for Your Stay with Cryptocurrency? Head to Vir Island - Total Croatia News - December 4th, 2019
- Thai SEC to Amend its Royal Decree on Cryptocurrency - The Tokenist - December 4th, 2019
- German Banks Will Be Allowed to Buy, Sell, and Store Cryptocurrency Starting New Years Day Crypto.IQ | Bitcoin and Investment News from Inside... - December 4th, 2019
- India vs. the people: The battle over cryptocurrency ownership continues - Forkast News - December 2nd, 2019
- Cryptocurrency This Week: Binance Launches Ethereum Futures, Hackers Steal $50 Mn From Korean Exchange And ... - Inc42 Media - December 2nd, 2019
- China Shuts Down 173 Cryptocurrency Exchanges and Token-Issuing Platforms - BeInCrypto - December 2nd, 2019
- More traditional investors are eyeing cryptocurrency to diversify their portfolios - Forkast News - December 2nd, 2019
- U.S. Authorities Arrest Virgil Griffith For Teaching Cryptocurrency And Blockchain - Forbes - November 30th, 2019
- What Hides Behind South Korean Cryptocurrency Regulation Policy? - The Diplomat - November 30th, 2019
- CipherTrace Q3 2019 Cryptocurrency AML Report: 2/3 of the Top 120 - AiThority - November 30th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Crime Spikes This Year and SMBs are Paying the Price - Commercial Integrator - November 30th, 2019
- $150 Billion Cryptocurrency Boom Is Here Buy This ETF to Profit - Banyan Hill Publishing - November 30th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency crime surges, losses hit $4.4 billion by end-September: CipherTrace report - Reuters - November 28th, 2019
- More traditional investors are eyeing cryptocurrency to diversity their portfolios - Forkast News - November 28th, 2019
- Binance CEO: China has never been pro-Bitcoin or pro-cryptocurrency - AMBCrypto - November 28th, 2019
- Nearly $50 Million of Ether Swiped From South Korean Cryptocurrency Exchange - The Wall Street Journal - November 28th, 2019
- The Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin back on recovery track, Ripple and Ethereum follow the lead - FXStreet - November 28th, 2019
- What the Crypto Markets Are Saying About the Future of Bitcoin - Coindesk - November 28th, 2019
- Thailand: Cryptocurrency Law Will Change in 2020 to Stay Competitive - Cointelegraph - November 28th, 2019
- Navigating the Token Crypt: What Options Are Available For Investing Cryptocurrency? - Nasdaq - November 28th, 2019
- This Cryptocurrency Is Up 11310% in a Week. Legit Scam or Just Legit? - CCN.com - November 28th, 2019
- The Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin sits above $7,000 as the trading range is narrowing - FXStreet - November 28th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency policies must combat snake oil without stifling innovation - The Globe and Mail - November 28th, 2019
- Akon has started building Akon City in Senegal with focus on cryptocurrency and renewable energy - Evening Standard - November 28th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency steps closer to legalization in South Korea - CoinGeek - November 28th, 2019
- Dwight Schrute tells Bitcoin holders to give their worthless cryptocurrency to a non-profit - The Next Web - November 22nd, 2019
- VinDAX Is the Seventh Cryptocurrency Exchange Hacked This Year: What Should Investors Be Considering? - Lexology - November 22nd, 2019
- Bitfinex Announces Strategic Collaboration with ODEM to Expand Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Education - PRNewswire - November 22nd, 2019
- How a seven-week Wharton course brings the study of cryptocurrency to the classroom - The Daily Pennsylvanian - November 22nd, 2019
- The cryptocurrency market update: Bitcoin bears have an upper hand - FXStreet - November 22nd, 2019
- Sacramento Kings Lead The Way For Sports In Cryptocurrency Solutions - Front Office Sports - November 22nd, 2019
- This week in Cryptocurrency - Born2Invest - November 22nd, 2019
- South African cryptocurrency exchanges will be having their bank accounts shut down - FXStreet - November 22nd, 2019
- PayPal CEO Holds Bitcoin and Only Bitcoin - Cointelegraph - November 22nd, 2019
- Cryptocurrency exchange that went dark with $16M in user funds only has $45k, report - The Next Web - November 20th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency market update: $5 billion wiped off as Bitcoin bears take a breather - FXStreet - November 20th, 2019
- The cryptocurrency market update: Bitcoin bears hit the pause button - FXStreet - November 20th, 2019
- This cryptocurrencys price just pumped 7,000%, but why? - Decrypt - November 20th, 2019
- Swedish gold-for-cryptocurrency scammer finally extradited to US - The Next Web - November 20th, 2019
- Binance US Adds Nano (NANO) as Its 26th Cryptocurrency - SludgeFeed - November 20th, 2019
- Is the IRS HODLing Out on Us? IRS Issues Additional Cryptocurrency Guidance Addressing Hard Forks, Soft Forks, and Airdrops - JD Supra - November 20th, 2019
- Maksim Zaslavskiy of the cryptocurrency Recoin was sentenced to 18 months in prison for lying to investors - Crain's New York Business - November 20th, 2019
- Cryptocurrencies | Category | Fox Business - November 1st, 2019
- Best cryptocurrency to Invest 2019 - The Complete Guide - November 1st, 2019
- Best Cryptocurrency to Invest 2019 Our Top 4 Picks - October 22nd, 2019
- Buy Cryptocurrency with Credit Card or Bank Transfer now ... - September 30th, 2019
- Best 10 Cryptocurrency Brokers - Updated for 2019 (Safe ... - September 30th, 2019
- Fidelity Said to Offer Cryptocurrency Trading Within a Few ... - May 10th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Definition | Bankrate.com - April 26th, 2019
- Samsung is developing its own blockchain network, report claims - April 26th, 2019
- 2019s best cryptocurrency wallets | 70+ compared | finder.com - April 26th, 2019
- What is cryptocurrency? - Definition from WhatIs.com - April 25th, 2019
- A Beginner's Guide to Cryptocoin Mining: What You Need to ... - April 25th, 2019
- How Cryptocurrency Assets Are Becoming A New Battleground In ... - April 21st, 2019
- What is Cryptocurrency: Cryptocurrency Explained the Easy Way - April 13th, 2019
- How to trade cryptocurrency in the UK - finance.yahoo.com - April 8th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Trading | TD Ameritrade - April 8th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Prices, Charts, and Market Cap Data - UNHASHED - April 8th, 2019
- Blow To Bitcoin As World's Largest Cryptocurrency IPO Is Iced - April 2nd, 2019
- How and where do I report Cryptocurrency coin-to-coin ... - March 22nd, 2019
- Hundreds of Millions in Cryptocurrency Vanishes After ... - March 11th, 2019
- Fidelity's new cryptocurrency company is up and running ... - March 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Exchange Says It Can't Access $190 Million ... - February 5th, 2019
- What's the Best Cryptocurrency to Invest in Today? - January 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Trading Easy tips to get started | AvaTrade - January 9th, 2019
- Thailand Issues 4 Cryptocurrency Licenses, Rejects 2 ... - January 9th, 2019
- NASDAQ, Fidelity Invest in New Cryptocurrency Exchange ... - January 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency News | Cryptocurrency News | Blockchain ... - January 9th, 2019
- Differences Between Cryptocurrency Coins and Tokens - January 9th, 2019
- Cryptocurrency Charts - January 8th, 2019
- What is cryptocurrency? - cointelegraph.com - January 4th, 2019