Jim Rogers, who cofounded the Quantum Fund with billionaire investor George Soros, has shared his view on bitcoin, its use as money, and governments response to the growing use of cryptocurrency. He predicts that central banks will not let uncontrolled money be used.
Famous investor Jim Rogers shared his prediction about the future bitcoin and cryptocurrency in an interview with Asahi Shimbun Singapore branch manager Koji Nishimura, published on Friday. Rogers cofounded the Quantum Fund in 1973 with billionaire investor George Soros, which was considered one of the most successful hedge funds in its heyday. They earned a 4,200% return over 10 years through 1980 compared to 47% for the S&P 500.
Rogers believes that if cryptocurrency succeeds in being used as money, instead of primarily for speculation, governments will intervene, making it illegal in order to stop its use. For this reason, I believe that the [value of] virtual currencies represented by bitcoin will decline and eventually become zero, he told the publication. It is hard for us to move money without the control of the government, Rogers said, elaborating:
The government wants to know everything. Controllable electronic money will survive, and virtual currencies beyond the influence of the government will be eliminated.
Rogers explained that cryptocurrency markets are volatile, particularly during the global economic crisis. Even though cryptocurrencies did not even exist a few years ago, in the blink of an eye, they become 100 and 1,000 times more valuable This is a clear bubble and I dont know the right price, he opined, emphasizing that cryptocurrency is not an investment but gambling.
He proceeded to talk about electronic money. Governments like electronic money because with electronic money, you can keep track of when, where, who spent and how much. Governments will have more control over people through electronic money, the investing guru described. Electronic money has a low issuing cost. Cash must be printed, carried and counted. It is expensive for the government.
However, cryptocurrencies beyond the control of governments will not be accepted as money, Rogers believes, adding that those who work on cryptocurrencies think they are smarter than the government. However, the government has something that those who work with virtual currencies dont have. Its a gun. For this reason, he said, I believe that virtual currency will disappear eventually.
He believes that governments will never let bitcoin be used as money. Only 100 years ago, we could use whatever we liked as money. You could use coins, gold, silver, or shells. Banks could also print the bills themselves. That was legal, he was quoted as saying. However, in the mid-1930s, the Bank of England declared that using any type of money other than the money it issued was illegal, Rogers pointed out. As a result, no one used money other than that issued by the Bank of England, he described, predicting that the same will happen to cryptocurrency.
While admitting that a society where governments know too much about our actions is unfavorable, he believes that cryptocurrency beyond the control of the government will not be widely distributed as money.
While Rogers is not bullish on cryptocurrency, many institutional investors are increasingly interested in investing in this asset class. Fidelity Digital Assets recently conducted a survey of about 800 institutional investors in Europe and the U.S. and found that 80% of them find cryptocurrency appealing, while 60% feel cryptocurrencies have a place in their portfolios. Grayscale Investments also sees increasing demand for crypto investments.
Well-known hedge fund managers such as Paul Tudor Jones have been growing their bitcoin holdings. Jones said he has about 2% of his assets in bitcoin. Other billionaire investors who are bullish on bitcoin include Virgin Galactic chairman Chamath Palihapitiya and Galaxy Digital CEO Mike Novogratz.
What do you think about Jim Rogers view of bitcoin? Let us know in the comments section below.
Image Credits: Shutterstock, Pixabay, Wiki Commons, Nikkei Asian Review
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. It is not a direct offer or solicitation of an offer to buy or sell, or a recommendation or endorsement of any products, services, or companies. Bitcoin.com does not provide investment, tax, legal, or accounting advice. Neither the company nor the author is responsible, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any content, goods or services mentioned in this article.
- Cryptocurrency investors should be prepared to lose all their money, Bank of England governor says - CNBC - May 9th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency ether rises to new record high over $3600 - Reuters - May 9th, 2021
- Cramer says he owns 'a lot' of red-hot cryptocurrency ether that's tripled bitcoin's 2021 gain - CNBC - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin is no longer the cryptocurrency king - TechRadar - May 9th, 2021
- Major Ethereum upgrades could boost the price further. Here's a roadmap. - Markets Insider - May 9th, 2021
- EBay says open to accepting to cryptocurrencies in future, exploring NFTs - Reuters - May 9th, 2021
- Heres a Bitcoin Timeline for Everything You Need To Know About the Cryptocurrency - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2021
- South Korean Police Officers Banned From Buying Cryptocurrency Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 9th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Clamor: Paying Employees in Bitcoin Has Reached the Mainstream - JD Supra - May 9th, 2021
- Rise of cryptocurrency: How it works, where its going - RochesterFirst - May 1st, 2021
- GitHub Reacts to Growing Cryptocurrency Mining Attacks Using GitHub Actions - InfoQ.com - May 1st, 2021
- How to Make Money With Cryptocurrency - NBC Connecticut - April 28th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency is making its way into the Magic City - WIAT - CBS42.com - April 28th, 2021
- 5 Free Fintech And Cryptocurrency Newsletters You Need To Read - Forbes - April 28th, 2021
- Delchain Partners With Flare to Advance Seamless Cryptocurrency Transactions - PRNewswire - April 28th, 2021
- 3 analysts explain why ether will surpass bitcoin as the leading cryptocurrency - Markets Insider - April 28th, 2021
- An act of benevolence: how cryptocurrency investors are stepping in to help India in time of need - Economic Times - April 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin and the Realm of Cryptocurrency - Lexology - April 28th, 2021
- Whats going on with bitcoin? Cryptocurrency is following price prediction model with astonishing precision - The Independent - April 28th, 2021
- Bill Aimed at Coordinating the SEC and CFTC Positions on Cryptocurrency Passes the US House - Lexology - April 28th, 2021
- What's driving Indians into cryptocurrency amid all the uncertainty - Economic Times - April 28th, 2021
- H. C. Wainwright to Host Cryptocurrency, Blockchain, and Fintech Virtual Conference - Business Wire - April 28th, 2021
- Tesla reveals $101 million bitcoin profit following its massive cryptocurrency investment - Yahoo News - April 28th, 2021
- Three indirect ways investors can play the cryptocurrency craze - CNBC - April 22nd, 2021
- Why Bitcoin ($BTC) Plunged, and What Is The Cryptocurrency's Price Outlook Now? - Bloomberg - April 22nd, 2021
- Why SafeMoon Cryptocurrency Is Up 130% And What You Should Know About It - Benzinga - April 22nd, 2021
- Did PayPal Just Make Cryptocurrency The Cash Of The Future? - Forbes - April 22nd, 2021
- Why Bitcoin Is The Only Cryptocurrency You Need - Florida Trend - April 22nd, 2021
- Bill Gates betting on total collapse of Bitcoin as cryptocurrency slumps: Analysts - Republic TV - April 22nd, 2021
- Cryptocurrency's Future in the U.S. Is Threatened By SEC Action Against Ripple - Bloomberg Law - April 22nd, 2021
- Marathon to Participate in the H.C. Wainwright Cryptocurrency, Blockchain & FinTech Conference on April 27, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - April 22nd, 2021
- The Coming Cryptocurrency Crash (And the One Crypto You Should Buy) - InvestorPlace - April 22nd, 2021
- Logan Simmons and Zach Conley announce the acceptance of cryptocurrency with their digital marketing agency, Volume Digital - Yahoo Finance - April 22nd, 2021
- Breaking Down the Basics of Cryptocurrency - Yahoo Finance - April 22nd, 2021
- Cryptocurrency inflows reach $4.9 billion on April 16 - Business Today - April 22nd, 2021
- Top 5 ways to protect against cryptocurrency scams - TechRepublic - April 22nd, 2021
- GiveCampus Will Support Cryptocurrency Donations to Schools - eSchool News - April 22nd, 2021
- UK Discusses Creating 'Britcoin', Its Own Central Bank-Backed Cryptocurrency - Entrepreneur - April 22nd, 2021
- How To Mine Cryptocurrency: Beginner's Guide To Crypto Mining - April 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Market UK - Crypto Prices in GBP - Buy ... - April 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency inflows hit all-time high of $4.5B in first-quarter - Fox Business - April 8th, 2021
- TheStreet Launches A New Cryptocurrency Media Brand, As The Market Tops $2 Trillion - Forbes - April 8th, 2021
- Engiven's Cryptocurrency Donation Management Platform Selected by the Orang Utan Republik Foundation - PRNewswire - April 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Channel and Investor Newsletter Launches on TheStreet - TheStreet - April 8th, 2021
- New Kind Of Network (NKN) Cryptocurrency Surges 1300% In A Month, On Its Path To Become 'World's Biggest Blockchain' - Benzinga - April 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin and taxes: EY cryptocurrency expert details what to know - Yahoo Money - April 8th, 2021
- Ether (ETH) at a fork in the road, faces key resistance at $2,700: Kraken - Markets Insider - April 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency's Slow March Toward The Mainstream - WFAE - April 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency market in S'pore remains small, says Tharman - The Straits Times - April 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency game: Is here to stay or will it crash? - Yahoo News - April 8th, 2021
- What Is Chainlink and Why Is It Important in the World of Cryptocurrency? - Yahoo Finance - April 4th, 2021
- Wary insurers watch cryptocurrency craze from the sidelines - Business Insurance - April 4th, 2021
- What Is Filecoin and Why Is the Cryptocurrency's Price Going Up? - Newsweek - April 4th, 2021
- Sask. Government warns of increase in cryptocurrency investment scams - CBC.ca - April 4th, 2021
- Coinbase Goes Public April 14: What You Need To Know - Benzinga - April 4th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency crowned top performing asset class of 2020-21 with 800% return - Economic Times - April 4th, 2021
- SU's WiTec club to host workshops on cryptocurrency and blockchain - The Daily Orange - April 4th, 2021
- US Government Sees Cryptocurrency Spring Fever as Great Time to Auction Bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - March 27th, 2021
- Heres When to Buy Bitcoin on the Latest Dip - TheStreet - March 27th, 2021
- RBI Governor Says Government and Central Bank Agree on Cryptocurrency Approach Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - March 27th, 2021
- Bolster Research Shows Cryptocurrency Scams Nearly Doubled in 2020 and Forecasts More This Year - Yahoo Finance - March 27th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC) ETF: Fidelity Applies for Fund That Tracks the Cryptocurrency - Bloomberg - March 27th, 2021
- Milestones In the History of the Bitcoin cryptocurrency - TechBullion - March 27th, 2021
- Fiats sustainable driving cryptocurrency is utter bollocks - The Next Web - March 27th, 2021
- GSA to Hold Auction for Excess Cryptocurrency Assets - ExecutiveGov - March 27th, 2021
- New research reveals the differences between cryptocurrency and gold investors - Wealth Adviser - March 27th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency to become mainstream in the Philippines | Digital Payments | Fintech Magazine - FinTech Magazine - The FinTech & InsurTech Platform - March 27th, 2021
- Companies will need to disclose cryptocurrency holdings, benami properties and audit trail from April 1 - Economic Times - March 27th, 2021
- Local students learn to solve crimes of future at Utica College - Utica Observer Dispatch - March 27th, 2021
- What Is SafeMoon? How to Buy the New Cryptocurrency - Newsweek - March 23rd, 2021
- How will cryptocurrency earnings be taxed? - Fox Business - March 23rd, 2021
- Decoded: What is a cryptocurrency and how does a blockchain work? - Business Standard - March 23rd, 2021
- FBI Arrests 6 Over NH Cryptocurrency Business - NBC10 Boston - March 23rd, 2021
- Cryptocurrency inflows hit record high of $4.2 bln, CoinShares says - Yahoo Finance - March 23rd, 2021
- Anger against tech giants led me to cryptocurrency: Nischal Shetty of WazirX - Mint - March 23rd, 2021
- Cashing in on bitcoins: French government to pocket $30 mn from first-ever cryptocurrency auction - Economic Times - March 23rd, 2021
- BitcoinBuyersGuide Introduces the Most Advanced Exchange Filter in the Cryptocurrency Industry - PRNewswire - March 23rd, 2021
- John McAfee charged with securities fraud for pump and dump cryptocurrency scheme - The Verge - March 8th, 2021
- Eco raises $26M in a16z-led round to scale its digital cryptocurrency platform - TechCrunch - March 8th, 2021
- Looking at ways to experiment with digital world and cryptocurrency: Sitharaman - Mint - March 8th, 2021