Fifteen people entered guilty pleas for involvement in an international scam that posted fraudulent auctions online and laundered money through cryptocurrency exchanges, according to the Justice Department.
One expert says the case could serve as a template for nation-state actors using cryptocurrency exchanges to cover their tracks more in the future.
Todays modern cybercriminals rely on increasingly sophisticated techniques to defraud victims, often masquerading as legitimate businesses, said Assistant Attorney General Brian A. Benczkowski of the Justice Departments Criminal Division in a press release Thursday. These guilty pleas demonstrate that the United States will hold accountable foreign and domestic criminal enterprises and their enablers, including crooked bitcoin exchanges that swindle the American public.
Law enforcement officials have noted that increased use of cryptocurrencies like Bitcoin has made it especially challenging to nail down cybercriminals. But while cryptocurrency exchanges encode transactions hiding the identity of the parties, those codes are permanently and publicly recorded across a large number of computers. Its possible to study them and identify patterns in transactions that could eventually lead to the identity of a suspect, and law enforcement might be getting better at this.
Compared to 2016, in 2019 and 2020, were seeing more cases where its clear that law enforcement is following this stuff and is not totally dumbfounded because something involves a Bitcoin address, Yaya Fanusie, a former CIA analyst and current senior fellow at the Center for New American Security told Nextgov. It gives us the assurance that at least U.S. federal law enforcement is capable of doing an investigation that involves cryptocurrency.
In the case Justice highlighted Thursday, the defendantsindividuals in their 30s based both in Romania and the United Statesadmitted their involvement in a scheme where they established their own cryptocurrency exchange and used it as a passthrough for traditional payments they got from advertising non-existent high-value items such as cars on auction sites such as eBay and Craigslist.
According to court documents, members of the conspiracy created fictitious online accounts to post these advertisements and communicate with victims, often using the stolen identities of Americans to do so, the press release noted.
The defendants also used IP addresses anonymizing services, according to court documents. Fanusie said cryptocurrency exchanges are part of an ecosystem primed for cyber malfeasance.
Cyber services like domain names, [virtual private networks], servers, that infrastructure is ready-made to be leveraged through cryptocurrencies, he said. Its already an environment that invites anonymous use. Cryptocurrencies are the native money of the internet. So if we know that were going to have more cyber threats, it makes sense that cryptocurrencies are going to play a part.
So its good that law enforcement doesnt seem daunted by the changing landscape of criminal activity, he says, because this time [a cryptocurrency exchange] was being used by criminal fraudsters, but there are definitely parallels in what weve already seen from nation-state actors.
Fanusie has written about how cryptocurrency exchanges were used to launder and steal money and delay law enforcements identification of suspected hackers in high-profile cases involving persons affiliated with China and North Korea and Russia.
He said the 2018 indictment leading up to Thursdays guilty pleas is almost a blueprint for how nation-state actors could be thinking about running their operations, adding that the case confirms that the main thing to look out for is not so much fundraising, the biggest thing is that cryptocurrency is one part of a laundering process. Its to move the money to somewhere else so you lose the trace.
For now, law enforcement officials seem empowered by their success after an investigation that involved the U.S. Secret Service, Kentucky State Police, Lexington Police Department, IRS Criminal Investigation, and U.S. Postal Inspection Service, the Justice Departments Organized Crime Drug Enforcement Task Forces and International Organized Crime Intelligence and Operations Center, as well as the Romanian National Police Service for Combating Cybercrime and the Romanian Directorate for Investigating Organized Crime and Terrorism.
Through the use of digital currencies and trans-border organizational strategies, this criminal syndicate believed they were beyond the reach of law enforcement, said Assistant Director Michael DAmbrosio, U.S. Secret Service, Office of Investigations. However, as this successful investigation clearly illustrates, with sustained, international cooperation, we can effectively hold cybercriminals accountable for their actions, no matter where they reside. I commend the hard work and perseverance of all those who joined together in this investigation and prosecution. This includes our partners in Europe, as well as those closer to home.
It was also helpful that Romanian officials secured and coordinated the arrests and extraditions from that country of more than a dozen defendants, the release said.
The 15 defendants who have pleaded guilty in this case have yet to be sentenced, the release notes. Two other defendants in the case are scheduled for trial starting on Sept. 14, 2020, before the Honorable Robert E. Wier of the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of Kentucky. Three others are fugitives. This case is being prosecuted by Senior Trial Attorney Timothy C. Flowers and Senior Counsel Frank H. Lin of the Criminal Divisions Computer Crime and Intellectual Property Section and Assistant U.S. Attorneys Kathryn M. Anderson and Kenneth R. Taylor of the U.S. Attorneys Office for the Eastern District of Kentucky.
- Bitcoin surges past 8,400 as investors look for 'safe haven' - The Telegraph - July 29th, 2020
- Blockchain and how it can change construction - Geospatial World - July 29th, 2020
- CEO of Toronto-based cryptocurrency exchange Coinsquare resigns after regulatory probe - CBC.ca - July 29th, 2020
- 2020 will have publicly-traded cryptocurrency firms Barry Silbert - FXStreet - July 29th, 2020
- Chainalysis Introduces New Website, Market Intel, which gives Digital Asset Managers and Regulators Access to Meaningful Insight about Crypto Activity... - July 29th, 2020
- Why it is time to invest in Ethereum - Nairametrics - July 29th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency firm KuCoin 'shocked' by Twitter hacking - The National - July 19th, 2020
- Samsung Added Support for Stellar (XLM) Cryptocurrency to its Blockchain Keystore, Allows Millions of Users to Access the Digital Asset - Crowdfund... - July 19th, 2020
- $30 billion worth of BTCs disappears forever - Nairametrics - July 19th, 2020
- Popular singer, Akon and other leading experts speak on Africa's Crypto - Nairametrics - July 19th, 2020
- Revolut partners with Paxos to bring cryptocurrency trading to the US - TechCrunch - July 17th, 2020
- Paypal Developing Cryptocurrency Capabilities, Letter to European Commission Confirms | News - Bitcoin News - July 17th, 2020
- Apple, Biden, Musk and other high-profile Twitter accounts hacked in crypto scam - TechCrunch - July 17th, 2020
- TCS is ready to mine the new crypto economy, snatches early-mover advantage with Quartz - Economic Times - July 17th, 2020
- These Two Cryptocurrency Marks For In Which Way The Bitcoin Is Headed - Inventiva - July 17th, 2020
- US Embassy in BD launches webinar series on dark web and cryptocurrency - The Financial Express - July 17th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Cryptocurrency 2020-2027 with Focusing Key players like Nvidia, Xilinx, Intel, Advanced Micro Devices, Bitfury Group, etc - Cole... - July 17th, 2020
- Revolut launches cryptocurrency trading in US - ThePaypers - The Paypers - July 17th, 2020
- Brave New Coin to Develop Cryptocurrency Indices that Toronto Futures Options Swaps Exchange will Use for Cash-Settled Options Trading - Crowdfund... - July 17th, 2020
- Binance Pool Partners with BitRiver - Finance Magnates - July 17th, 2020
- ESET Discovers Trojanized Mac Cryptocurrency App Collecting Wallets and Screenshots - IT News Online - July 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market (COVID 19 Updated) Climbs on Positive Outlook of Excellent Growth by 2027- Advanced Micro Devices, Baikal... - July 17th, 2020
- New York Appellate Court Confirms Attorney Generals Broad Investigative Powers into the Cryptocurrency Industry - JD Supra - July 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market with COVID 19 Impact-Global Industry Report, Size, Demand, Revenue, Top Manufacturers, and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - July 17th, 2020
- Global Cryptocurrency Mining Software Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2024 : Genesis Mining, NiceHash, Awesome Miner, MinerGate,... - July 17th, 2020
- Chainlink (LINK) Becomes the Tesla of Cryptocurrency Whats Next? - Cointelegraph - July 14th, 2020
- As Bitcoin Struggles, This Minor Cryptocurrency Has Soared 1,000% In Just Over 12 Months - Forbes - July 14th, 2020
- Brave New Coin Signs Multi-Year Deal To Power Cryptocurrency Options Trading On Toronto Futures - Scoop.co.nz - July 14th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Intel, CoinBase, BitGo, and Binance - Jewish Life News - July 14th, 2020
- Akon sets out vision for his cryptocurrency and Akon City - Decrypt - July 14th, 2020
- Bank of England eyes groundbreaking new currency as key part of Britains future - Express - July 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Exchanges And The Cryptocurrency World Was Just Rocked - JD Supra - July 11th, 2020
- New York Court Approves Investigation Into $10 Billion Cryptocurrency Created By A Presidential Candidate - Forbes - July 11th, 2020
- Huobi Global Provides Insight on What Is Driving the Institutional Interest in Cryptocurrency Investment - PRNewswire - July 11th, 2020
- What Challenges Affect the Cost of Running a Cryptocurrency Exchange - Cointelegraph - July 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency And Blockchain Technology Market size Reap Excessive Revenues size COVID-19 2022 - Kentucky Journal 24 - July 11th, 2020
- Fast Pace of Cryptocurrency Adoption in Latin America May be due to Dramatic Rise in Smartphone Users, Bitso Executive Reveals - Crowdfund Insider - July 11th, 2020
- NetCents teams up with crypto fintech company to utilize US$1.4 billion credit facility - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - July 11th, 2020
- Explainer: What is 'LBCOIN,' the new Lithuanian state-backed cryptocurrency? - Euronews - July 9th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency News Update: XRP and ADA on fire, BTC lags behind - FXStreet - July 9th, 2020
- Kaspersky Fraud Prevention helps Indacoin halt fraudulent operations with cryptocurrency - CRN.in - July 9th, 2020
- Cardano Becomes 6th Largest Cryptocurrency As Charles Hoskinson Pushes for Unity in Emerging Blockchain Industry - The Daily Hodl - July 9th, 2020
- There are now 13173 BTC millionaires around the world - Nairametrics - July 9th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency as an alternative during times of inflation - ITProPortal - July 8th, 2020
- The lawfulness of cryptocurrency mining in Bulgaria - Lexology - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency-Focused Docuseries Airs to Millions of Viewers via the Discovery Science Channel - Bitcoin News - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Twitter users can send Bitcoin and crypto to each other thanks to a new service - FXStreet - July 8th, 2020
- What are Cryptocurrency Signals and their role in trading - TechGenyz - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Cardano to the moon as Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple stall - FXStreet - July 8th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Intel, CoinBase, BitGo, and Binance - Owned - July 8th, 2020
- New Token Listing Alert: Levolution's LEVL Token is Officially Live on Changelly - PRNewswire - July 8th, 2020
- The Profitability of Cryptocurrency Bitcoin Now and in the Future - Chiang Rai Times - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Cardano increased by 15% - The Times Hub - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Cardano grew by 10% - The Times Hub - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency trading vs. forex: The similarities and differences - AZ Big Media - June 25th, 2020
- Financial Inclusion, Cryptocurrency and the Developing World - Cointelegraph - June 25th, 2020
- Phishing and cryptocurrency scams squashed as one million emails are reported to new anti-scam hotline - ZDNet - June 25th, 2020
- 83% of BTCs addresses are smiling to the Bank - Nairametrics - June 25th, 2020
- Protesters Around The World Are Putting Their Hopes Into Cryptocurrency - Forbes - June 25th, 2020
- The Benefits of Cryptocurrency Trading Crypto Benzinga - Benzinga - June 25th, 2020
- Miners Are Sending Bitcoins to Exchanges Again and That May Be Bearish - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 25th, 2020
- Akon City: $6 Billion Cryptocurrency City Set to Begin Construction | News - Bitcoin News - June 25th, 2020
- UNICEF Cryptocurrency Fund announces its largest investment of startups in developing and emerging economies - UNICEF - June 25th, 2020
- NetCents Technology paves the way for mainstream cryptocurrency adoption by offering daily settlements to merchants - Proactive Investors USA &... - June 25th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Share Analysis and Research Report by 2025 - CueReport - June 25th, 2020
- From Ethereum to Stellar, to Solana: Cryptocurrency Kin Confirms Blockchain Migration - CoinDesk - June 25th, 2020
- Jim Rogers Discusses Bitcoin as Money and Why Governments Will Stop Crypto | News - Bitcoin News - June 25th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Bitmain, NVIDIA, Xilinx, Intel, Advanced Micro Devices, Ripple, Bitfury, Ethereum Foundation, CoinBase,... - June 25th, 2020
- EY Launches First-Of-Its-Kind Cryptocurrency Reporting App - PRNewswire - June 25th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency: Redefining the Future of Finance - Visual Capitalist - June 16th, 2020
- A Cryptocurrency User Paid $2.6M In Transaction Fee To Send $136 Twice - Benzinga - June 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Regulations in times of COVID-19: A boon or bane to India? - Lexology - June 16th, 2020
- Are CryptoCurrencies The Future Of Finance? - Digital Information World - June 16th, 2020
- Nevermind Coinbase Big Brother Is Already Watching Your Coins - Cointelegraph - June 16th, 2020
- Fireblocks integrates with Chainalysis to set a new compliance and security standard for financial institutions and cryptocurrency businesses -... - June 16th, 2020
- Creating A Crypto-Exchange - The Types & The Steps - YourStory - June 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin and the rest of cryptos following the global stock market - FXStreet - June 16th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Cryptocurrency Market by COVID19 Impact Analysis And Top Manufacturers: ZEB IT Service, Coinsecure, Coinbase, Bitstamp, Litecoin,... - June 16th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Intel, CoinBase, BitGo, and Binance - WorldsTrend - June 16th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin Suddenly Dropped 6% on Thursday - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 13th, 2020