Bitcoin outflows from miner wallets have spiked, with the majority of coins finding their way onto cryptocurrency exchanges.
The net flow of coins into or out of miner addresses fell to -2,935 BTC on Tuesday to hit the lowest level since June 2019, according to data source Glassnode. To put it another way, miner wallets witnessed the highest outflow of coins for a year.
There has been a big spike in miner outflows overnight, Im expecting a whole lot of selling, starting real soon, popular cryptocurrency analyst Cole Garner tweeted, along with a chart from blockchain analysis firm CryptoQuant showing a big spike in the miner outflow around 10:00 UTC on Tuesday.
However, the Miners Netflow Volume does not tell us whether coins have been sent to exchanges for liquidation or sold off in an over-the-counter deal.
However, another metric, which tracks the flow of coins from miner wallets to cryptocurrency exchanges, shows nearly 97% of the total outflow of 2,935 BTC from miner addresses was deposited to cryptocurrency exchanges on Tuesday.
The total 2,844 BTC that went to exchange platforms was the highest since March 26. Thats a major spike: on Monday, only 404 BTC were deposited on exchanges.
With the sudden rise in the number of coins available on exchanges for liquidation, the cryptocurrency looks vulnerable for a notable price drop. Such spikes in miner outflows have preceded price drops in the past, although they dont necessarily mean a drop is on the way.
For example, outflows increased from 380 BTC to 1,824 BTC on Aug. 2, 2019, but the cryptocurrency extended its recovery rally to hit highs above $12,300 on Aug. 6.
It remains to be seen if the latest spike in miner outflows yields a notable price drop or traps bears on the wrong side of the market.Supporting the case for a downside move is the fact that miners have spent less than they mined in the last 24 hours, pushing miners rolling inventory (MRI) above 100%, according to ByteTree.com.
Miners typically hoard coins when they feel the market lacks strength to absorb their offers.
At press time, the cryptocurrency is trading near $9,350, a 3% drop on the day. Prices are trapped in the range of $9,000 to $10,000 for the fifth straight week.
Disclosure:The author holds no cryptocurrency assetsat the time of writing.
The leader in blockchain news, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.
- Cryptocurrency investors should be prepared to lose all their money, Bank of England governor says - CNBC - May 9th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency ether rises to new record high over $3600 - Reuters - May 9th, 2021
- Cramer says he owns 'a lot' of red-hot cryptocurrency ether that's tripled bitcoin's 2021 gain - CNBC - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin is no longer the cryptocurrency king - TechRadar - May 9th, 2021
- Major Ethereum upgrades could boost the price further. Here's a roadmap. - Markets Insider - May 9th, 2021
- EBay says open to accepting to cryptocurrencies in future, exploring NFTs - Reuters - May 9th, 2021
- Heres a Bitcoin Timeline for Everything You Need To Know About the Cryptocurrency - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2021
- South Korean Police Officers Banned From Buying Cryptocurrency Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 9th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Clamor: Paying Employees in Bitcoin Has Reached the Mainstream - JD Supra - May 9th, 2021
- Rise of cryptocurrency: How it works, where its going - RochesterFirst - May 1st, 2021
- GitHub Reacts to Growing Cryptocurrency Mining Attacks Using GitHub Actions - InfoQ.com - May 1st, 2021
- How to Make Money With Cryptocurrency - NBC Connecticut - April 28th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency is making its way into the Magic City - WIAT - CBS42.com - April 28th, 2021
- 5 Free Fintech And Cryptocurrency Newsletters You Need To Read - Forbes - April 28th, 2021
- Delchain Partners With Flare to Advance Seamless Cryptocurrency Transactions - PRNewswire - April 28th, 2021
- 3 analysts explain why ether will surpass bitcoin as the leading cryptocurrency - Markets Insider - April 28th, 2021
- An act of benevolence: how cryptocurrency investors are stepping in to help India in time of need - Economic Times - April 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin and the Realm of Cryptocurrency - Lexology - April 28th, 2021
- Whats going on with bitcoin? Cryptocurrency is following price prediction model with astonishing precision - The Independent - April 28th, 2021
- Bill Aimed at Coordinating the SEC and CFTC Positions on Cryptocurrency Passes the US House - Lexology - April 28th, 2021
- What's driving Indians into cryptocurrency amid all the uncertainty - Economic Times - April 28th, 2021
- H. C. Wainwright to Host Cryptocurrency, Blockchain, and Fintech Virtual Conference - Business Wire - April 28th, 2021
- Tesla reveals $101 million bitcoin profit following its massive cryptocurrency investment - Yahoo News - April 28th, 2021
- Three indirect ways investors can play the cryptocurrency craze - CNBC - April 22nd, 2021
- Why Bitcoin ($BTC) Plunged, and What Is The Cryptocurrency's Price Outlook Now? - Bloomberg - April 22nd, 2021
- Why SafeMoon Cryptocurrency Is Up 130% And What You Should Know About It - Benzinga - April 22nd, 2021
- Did PayPal Just Make Cryptocurrency The Cash Of The Future? - Forbes - April 22nd, 2021
- Why Bitcoin Is The Only Cryptocurrency You Need - Florida Trend - April 22nd, 2021
- Bill Gates betting on total collapse of Bitcoin as cryptocurrency slumps: Analysts - Republic TV - April 22nd, 2021
- Cryptocurrency's Future in the U.S. Is Threatened By SEC Action Against Ripple - Bloomberg Law - April 22nd, 2021
- Marathon to Participate in the H.C. Wainwright Cryptocurrency, Blockchain & FinTech Conference on April 27, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - April 22nd, 2021
- The Coming Cryptocurrency Crash (And the One Crypto You Should Buy) - InvestorPlace - April 22nd, 2021
- Logan Simmons and Zach Conley announce the acceptance of cryptocurrency with their digital marketing agency, Volume Digital - Yahoo Finance - April 22nd, 2021
- Breaking Down the Basics of Cryptocurrency - Yahoo Finance - April 22nd, 2021
- Cryptocurrency inflows reach $4.9 billion on April 16 - Business Today - April 22nd, 2021
- Top 5 ways to protect against cryptocurrency scams - TechRepublic - April 22nd, 2021
- GiveCampus Will Support Cryptocurrency Donations to Schools - eSchool News - April 22nd, 2021
- UK Discusses Creating 'Britcoin', Its Own Central Bank-Backed Cryptocurrency - Entrepreneur - April 22nd, 2021
- How To Mine Cryptocurrency: Beginner's Guide To Crypto Mining - April 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Market UK - Crypto Prices in GBP - Buy ... - April 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency inflows hit all-time high of $4.5B in first-quarter - Fox Business - April 8th, 2021
- TheStreet Launches A New Cryptocurrency Media Brand, As The Market Tops $2 Trillion - Forbes - April 8th, 2021
- Engiven's Cryptocurrency Donation Management Platform Selected by the Orang Utan Republik Foundation - PRNewswire - April 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Channel and Investor Newsletter Launches on TheStreet - TheStreet - April 8th, 2021
- New Kind Of Network (NKN) Cryptocurrency Surges 1300% In A Month, On Its Path To Become 'World's Biggest Blockchain' - Benzinga - April 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin and taxes: EY cryptocurrency expert details what to know - Yahoo Money - April 8th, 2021
- Ether (ETH) at a fork in the road, faces key resistance at $2,700: Kraken - Markets Insider - April 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency's Slow March Toward The Mainstream - WFAE - April 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency market in S'pore remains small, says Tharman - The Straits Times - April 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency game: Is here to stay or will it crash? - Yahoo News - April 8th, 2021
- What Is Chainlink and Why Is It Important in the World of Cryptocurrency? - Yahoo Finance - April 4th, 2021
- Wary insurers watch cryptocurrency craze from the sidelines - Business Insurance - April 4th, 2021
- What Is Filecoin and Why Is the Cryptocurrency's Price Going Up? - Newsweek - April 4th, 2021
- Sask. Government warns of increase in cryptocurrency investment scams - CBC.ca - April 4th, 2021
- Coinbase Goes Public April 14: What You Need To Know - Benzinga - April 4th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency crowned top performing asset class of 2020-21 with 800% return - Economic Times - April 4th, 2021
- SU's WiTec club to host workshops on cryptocurrency and blockchain - The Daily Orange - April 4th, 2021
- US Government Sees Cryptocurrency Spring Fever as Great Time to Auction Bitcoin - Yahoo Finance - March 27th, 2021
- Heres When to Buy Bitcoin on the Latest Dip - TheStreet - March 27th, 2021
- RBI Governor Says Government and Central Bank Agree on Cryptocurrency Approach Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - March 27th, 2021
- Bolster Research Shows Cryptocurrency Scams Nearly Doubled in 2020 and Forecasts More This Year - Yahoo Finance - March 27th, 2021
- Bitcoin (BTC) ETF: Fidelity Applies for Fund That Tracks the Cryptocurrency - Bloomberg - March 27th, 2021
- Milestones In the History of the Bitcoin cryptocurrency - TechBullion - March 27th, 2021
- Fiats sustainable driving cryptocurrency is utter bollocks - The Next Web - March 27th, 2021
- GSA to Hold Auction for Excess Cryptocurrency Assets - ExecutiveGov - March 27th, 2021
- New research reveals the differences between cryptocurrency and gold investors - Wealth Adviser - March 27th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency to become mainstream in the Philippines | Digital Payments | Fintech Magazine - FinTech Magazine - The FinTech & InsurTech Platform - March 27th, 2021
- Companies will need to disclose cryptocurrency holdings, benami properties and audit trail from April 1 - Economic Times - March 27th, 2021
- Local students learn to solve crimes of future at Utica College - Utica Observer Dispatch - March 27th, 2021
- What Is SafeMoon? How to Buy the New Cryptocurrency - Newsweek - March 23rd, 2021
- How will cryptocurrency earnings be taxed? - Fox Business - March 23rd, 2021
- Decoded: What is a cryptocurrency and how does a blockchain work? - Business Standard - March 23rd, 2021
- FBI Arrests 6 Over NH Cryptocurrency Business - NBC10 Boston - March 23rd, 2021
- Cryptocurrency inflows hit record high of $4.2 bln, CoinShares says - Yahoo Finance - March 23rd, 2021
- Anger against tech giants led me to cryptocurrency: Nischal Shetty of WazirX - Mint - March 23rd, 2021
- Cashing in on bitcoins: French government to pocket $30 mn from first-ever cryptocurrency auction - Economic Times - March 23rd, 2021
- BitcoinBuyersGuide Introduces the Most Advanced Exchange Filter in the Cryptocurrency Industry - PRNewswire - March 23rd, 2021
- John McAfee charged with securities fraud for pump and dump cryptocurrency scheme - The Verge - March 8th, 2021
- Eco raises $26M in a16z-led round to scale its digital cryptocurrency platform - TechCrunch - March 8th, 2021
- Looking at ways to experiment with digital world and cryptocurrency: Sitharaman - Mint - March 8th, 2021