Cryptocurrencies are not known for their stability as an investment, yet growing numbers of institutional investors are diversifying their portfolios with digital assets, according to a survey by Fidelity Investments.
The survey found 47% of institutional investors saw cryptocurrencies as suitable to add to their investment portfolios, and the same percentage of respondents appreciated the innovation behind the digital assets.
Traders can use a commodity trading adviser fund to invest in cryptocurrency and get exposure without [risk], it is a cash settle so you dont have any custody risk, nor do you have any [money laundering] tainted coins. These are issues you have all the time otherwise, said Jan Brzezek, founder and CEO of Crypto Finance AG.
Crypto Finance is an asset management platform that aims to mitigate the risk involved in investing in various cryptocurrencies. Despite the volatility of cryptocurrencies such as bitcoin, a growing number of investors are experimenting with them as an asset class.
Earlier this month, the New York State Department of Financial Servicesgranted a license to Fidelity Digital Assets, a cryptocurrency branch of Boston-based Fidelity Investments.
Tom Jessop, President of Fidelity Digital Assets, told Reuters that demand for digital currencies has been changing, and that they are Seeing strong demand and greater diversity of client types there are more traditional investors. When we started it was crypto funds and hedge funds.
Nonetheless, Bitcoin prices have recently dropped nearly 50% in value from their highest point in 2019, and is trading at around USD$7,000, according to CoinDesk.
One reason why investors may be seeking out cryptocurrencies is global economic instability affecting traditional assets amid an ongoing trade war between China and the U.S. Moreover, 46% of respondents to Fidelitys survey said that they found digital assets low correlation to other assets as a positive factor.
Hong Kong may become a testing ground for the use of digital assets as a financial instrument as the citys Securities and Futures Commission (SFC) recently announced anew regulatory framework for virtual asset trading platforms.
SFC CEO Ashley Alder said at Hong Kong FinTech Week that the new rules will cover aspects of financial security including custody, know-your-customer requirements, anti money laundering rules and market manipulation.
See related article: Behind the Scenes Conversation with: Ashley Alder, CEO of Securities and Futures Commission
A lack of regulation for cryptocurrency in numerous countries has been one aspect hindering wider adoption from traditional investors, and observers will watch to see how the legitimacy of obtaining an SFC license will affect the industry.
Other financial organizations experimenting with cryptocurrency include the owner of the New York Stock Exchange, Intercontinental Exchange Inc., and CME Group Inc.
Forkast.News Senior Editor Sam Reynolds spoke with Brzezek on the sidelines of Hong Kong FinTech Week to find out how traditional investors are starting to adopt cryptocurrencies.
Sam Reynolds: We are back at Hong Kong FinTech Week and were talking now with Jan from Crypto Finance. Crypto Finance offers a fund that gives investors some exposure to crypto. Jan, tell us about your product and how would it differ from investing directly in crypto.
Jan Brzezek: Yeah, thanks very much for having me here. Were not just doing asset management, we have two other offers as well, which is brokerage and custody infrastructure. But back to your question on asset management. What we do is we come from traditional finance.
We aim to fulfill all the best practice in the traditional world, and give clients and traditional investors access to this asset class without the operational risk on top, which is normally pretty high in crypto, and thats what most of the investors are still cautious on. Thats why they are not currently investing.
Sam Reynolds: Well, thats a good point. When you talk about risk, that is pretty much synonymous with crypto, so perhaps you can go into how this risk is avoided with your products.
Jan Brzezek: So what we do is we set up a CTA fund. Thats a long/short fund and algorithmically quant-driven fund where we just go long and short the bitcoin futures at a CME. Currently, the only CME bitcoin futures are the only regulated proper futures which have proper liquidity.
Obviously you have box now as well, but liquidity there is still rather small. And with that, you can really get this exposure without [risk], it is a cash settle so you dont have any custody risk, nor do you have any AML tainted coins. These are issues you have all the time otherwise.
Sam Reynolds: We had the Crypto Winter, which was a time where crypto assets, be it coins like Bitcoin or Ethereum or other projects, experienced quite a big chill. Talk to me about this Crypto Winter and how you guys survived it.
Jan Brzezek: It was definitely not fun for everyone in the space, but I think it was very healthy. There was such a hype before and now you really see most of the not really professional or sustainable businesses disappear. So you have very good companies here who are strong, tech-wise, business-wise, professionally set or professionally managed, and I think thats exactly what we need in the space.
Sam Reynolds: So we are at Hong Kong FinTech Week. What is your favorite trend youve seen here so far in the show floor?
Jan Brzezek: I think Asia is very progressive in general. For Hong Kong, obviously, as a very big financial hub, it was very important to be here as well and to meet investors, partners, other fintechs. You have very good companies here in Hong Kong in the crypto space.
And for me, it was good to feel a little bit the spirit, and to see whats going on, exactly what they are doing. Maybe we can cooperate. You know, its this is about an ecosystem. Its not just about you or me. Its about working together and really building this foundation and this technology.
Sam Reynolds: Exactly. Definitely seeing lots of that at the show, cooperation and building a stronger ecosystem. All right. Well, thanks for your time.
- Cryptocurrency Mining Profitability in 2020: Is It Possible? - Cointelegraph - August 10th, 2020
- Flaws Could Have Exposed Cryptocurrency Exchanges to Hackers - WIRED - August 10th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Cards: An Unnecessary Solution That Should Be Stopped - Cointelegraph - August 10th, 2020
- Wall Street Revealed To Be Edging Out Bitcoin Traders With $1 Million+ Transactions - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency This Week: India Could Ban Virtual Currencies & More - Inc42 Media - August 10th, 2020
- US Congressmen Want IRS to Balance Taxation and Innovation in the Cryptocurrency Space | Taxes - Bitcoin News - August 10th, 2020
- Will This Quantum Computing Breakthrough Save Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency? - The Daily Hodl - August 10th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin, Ripple and Ethereum begin consolidating - FXStreet - August 10th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency: The Currency of the Future - Techtree.com - August 10th, 2020
- Weiss Ratings Places Ethereum Ahead of Bitcoin As Top Cryptocurrency, Says Cardano Has the Best Technology - The Daily Hodl - August 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin surges past 8,400 as investors look for 'safe haven' - The Telegraph - July 29th, 2020
- Blockchain and how it can change construction - Geospatial World - July 29th, 2020
- CEO of Toronto-based cryptocurrency exchange Coinsquare resigns after regulatory probe - CBC.ca - July 29th, 2020
- 2020 will have publicly-traded cryptocurrency firms Barry Silbert - FXStreet - July 29th, 2020
- Chainalysis Introduces New Website, Market Intel, which gives Digital Asset Managers and Regulators Access to Meaningful Insight about Crypto Activity... - July 29th, 2020
- Why it is time to invest in Ethereum - Nairametrics - July 29th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency firm KuCoin 'shocked' by Twitter hacking - The National - July 19th, 2020
- Samsung Added Support for Stellar (XLM) Cryptocurrency to its Blockchain Keystore, Allows Millions of Users to Access the Digital Asset - Crowdfund... - July 19th, 2020
- $30 billion worth of BTCs disappears forever - Nairametrics - July 19th, 2020
- Popular singer, Akon and other leading experts speak on Africa's Crypto - Nairametrics - July 19th, 2020
- Revolut partners with Paxos to bring cryptocurrency trading to the US - TechCrunch - July 17th, 2020
- Paypal Developing Cryptocurrency Capabilities, Letter to European Commission Confirms | News - Bitcoin News - July 17th, 2020
- Apple, Biden, Musk and other high-profile Twitter accounts hacked in crypto scam - TechCrunch - July 17th, 2020
- TCS is ready to mine the new crypto economy, snatches early-mover advantage with Quartz - Economic Times - July 17th, 2020
- These Two Cryptocurrency Marks For In Which Way The Bitcoin Is Headed - Inventiva - July 17th, 2020
- US Embassy in BD launches webinar series on dark web and cryptocurrency - The Financial Express - July 17th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Cryptocurrency 2020-2027 with Focusing Key players like Nvidia, Xilinx, Intel, Advanced Micro Devices, Bitfury Group, etc - Cole... - July 17th, 2020
- Revolut launches cryptocurrency trading in US - ThePaypers - The Paypers - July 17th, 2020
- Brave New Coin to Develop Cryptocurrency Indices that Toronto Futures Options Swaps Exchange will Use for Cash-Settled Options Trading - Crowdfund... - July 17th, 2020
- Binance Pool Partners with BitRiver - Finance Magnates - July 17th, 2020
- ESET Discovers Trojanized Mac Cryptocurrency App Collecting Wallets and Screenshots - IT News Online - July 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market (COVID 19 Updated) Climbs on Positive Outlook of Excellent Growth by 2027- Advanced Micro Devices, Baikal... - July 17th, 2020
- New York Appellate Court Confirms Attorney Generals Broad Investigative Powers into the Cryptocurrency Industry - JD Supra - July 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market with COVID 19 Impact-Global Industry Report, Size, Demand, Revenue, Top Manufacturers, and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - July 17th, 2020
- Global Cryptocurrency Mining Software Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2024 : Genesis Mining, NiceHash, Awesome Miner, MinerGate,... - July 17th, 2020
- Chainlink (LINK) Becomes the Tesla of Cryptocurrency Whats Next? - Cointelegraph - July 14th, 2020
- As Bitcoin Struggles, This Minor Cryptocurrency Has Soared 1,000% In Just Over 12 Months - Forbes - July 14th, 2020
- Brave New Coin Signs Multi-Year Deal To Power Cryptocurrency Options Trading On Toronto Futures - Scoop.co.nz - July 14th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Intel, CoinBase, BitGo, and Binance - Jewish Life News - July 14th, 2020
- Akon sets out vision for his cryptocurrency and Akon City - Decrypt - July 14th, 2020
- Bank of England eyes groundbreaking new currency as key part of Britains future - Express - July 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Exchanges And The Cryptocurrency World Was Just Rocked - JD Supra - July 11th, 2020
- New York Court Approves Investigation Into $10 Billion Cryptocurrency Created By A Presidential Candidate - Forbes - July 11th, 2020
- Huobi Global Provides Insight on What Is Driving the Institutional Interest in Cryptocurrency Investment - PRNewswire - July 11th, 2020
- What Challenges Affect the Cost of Running a Cryptocurrency Exchange - Cointelegraph - July 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency And Blockchain Technology Market size Reap Excessive Revenues size COVID-19 2022 - Kentucky Journal 24 - July 11th, 2020
- Fast Pace of Cryptocurrency Adoption in Latin America May be due to Dramatic Rise in Smartphone Users, Bitso Executive Reveals - Crowdfund Insider - July 11th, 2020
- NetCents teams up with crypto fintech company to utilize US$1.4 billion credit facility - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - July 11th, 2020
- Explainer: What is 'LBCOIN,' the new Lithuanian state-backed cryptocurrency? - Euronews - July 9th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency News Update: XRP and ADA on fire, BTC lags behind - FXStreet - July 9th, 2020
- Kaspersky Fraud Prevention helps Indacoin halt fraudulent operations with cryptocurrency - CRN.in - July 9th, 2020
- Cardano Becomes 6th Largest Cryptocurrency As Charles Hoskinson Pushes for Unity in Emerging Blockchain Industry - The Daily Hodl - July 9th, 2020
- There are now 13173 BTC millionaires around the world - Nairametrics - July 9th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency as an alternative during times of inflation - ITProPortal - July 8th, 2020
- The lawfulness of cryptocurrency mining in Bulgaria - Lexology - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency-Focused Docuseries Airs to Millions of Viewers via the Discovery Science Channel - Bitcoin News - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Twitter users can send Bitcoin and crypto to each other thanks to a new service - FXStreet - July 8th, 2020
- What are Cryptocurrency Signals and their role in trading - TechGenyz - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Cardano to the moon as Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple stall - FXStreet - July 8th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Intel, CoinBase, BitGo, and Binance - Owned - July 8th, 2020
- New Token Listing Alert: Levolution's LEVL Token is Officially Live on Changelly - PRNewswire - July 8th, 2020
- The Profitability of Cryptocurrency Bitcoin Now and in the Future - Chiang Rai Times - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Cardano increased by 15% - The Times Hub - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Cardano grew by 10% - The Times Hub - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency trading vs. forex: The similarities and differences - AZ Big Media - June 25th, 2020
- Financial Inclusion, Cryptocurrency and the Developing World - Cointelegraph - June 25th, 2020
- Phishing and cryptocurrency scams squashed as one million emails are reported to new anti-scam hotline - ZDNet - June 25th, 2020
- 83% of BTCs addresses are smiling to the Bank - Nairametrics - June 25th, 2020
- Protesters Around The World Are Putting Their Hopes Into Cryptocurrency - Forbes - June 25th, 2020
- The Benefits of Cryptocurrency Trading Crypto Benzinga - Benzinga - June 25th, 2020
- Miners Are Sending Bitcoins to Exchanges Again and That May Be Bearish - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 25th, 2020
- Akon City: $6 Billion Cryptocurrency City Set to Begin Construction | News - Bitcoin News - June 25th, 2020
- UNICEF Cryptocurrency Fund announces its largest investment of startups in developing and emerging economies - UNICEF - June 25th, 2020
- NetCents Technology paves the way for mainstream cryptocurrency adoption by offering daily settlements to merchants - Proactive Investors USA &... - June 25th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Share Analysis and Research Report by 2025 - CueReport - June 25th, 2020
- From Ethereum to Stellar, to Solana: Cryptocurrency Kin Confirms Blockchain Migration - CoinDesk - June 25th, 2020
- Jim Rogers Discusses Bitcoin as Money and Why Governments Will Stop Crypto | News - Bitcoin News - June 25th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Bitmain, NVIDIA, Xilinx, Intel, Advanced Micro Devices, Ripple, Bitfury, Ethereum Foundation, CoinBase,... - June 25th, 2020
- EY Launches First-Of-Its-Kind Cryptocurrency Reporting App - PRNewswire - June 25th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency: Redefining the Future of Finance - Visual Capitalist - June 16th, 2020