The former chancellor Philip Hammond has added another job to the dozen or so he has taken on since leaving the Treasury in 2019, this time as an adviser to a Mayfair-based cryptocurrency trading firm.
Lord Hammond, who also served as foreign secretary and was an early supporter of bitcoin and other digital currencies, joined Copper.co with immediate effect on Monday.
The former chancellor, who was said to be one of the wealthiest ever cabinet ministers with a fortune once estimated at 8.2m, has taken up as many as 14 paid and unpaid jobs since leaving politics after a bust-up with Boris Johnson over Brexit.
Hammond was last month criticised by Westminsters lobbying watchdog for using his government connections to assist OakNorth, a bank he is paid to advise.
Starting out as a schoolboy running church hall discos, then becoming a medical equipment entrepreneur, Philip Hammond has been involved in an eclectic mix of business ventures. In two years since leaving office he has been given the green light by the UKs lobbying watchdog, Acoba, for 14 roles, including advising three Gulf states and working with several companies set up by Tory peers.
1. Non-executive director, Ardagh
Hammonds first appointment after quitting politics was with the Luxembourg-based metal and glass packaging firm, on an estimated salary of 125,000.
2. Adviser to OakNorth
Hammond joined the board of SoftBank-backed British fintech bank alongside Conservative ex-minister Francis Maude and former senior regulators Adair Turner and Martin Stewart.
3. Keynote speaker, Washington Speakers Bureau and London Speakers Bureau
Last year Hammond applied for part-time paid appointments at these two events agencies. Being on their roster opens up opportunities for lucrative after-dinner speeches to corporate clients.
4. Adviser to Canary Wharf Group
He joined the board of the property company last summer. It is chaired and was until recently run by Sir George Iacobescu, a Romanian-born British property chief who helped transform the once-barren London Docklands estate into Canary Wharf.
5. Senior adviser, Chatham House
Hammond joined the international affairs thinktank in June 2020 and speaks on panels discussing international economic policies.
6. Adviser to Saudi Arabias finance minister.
Hammond had previous ties with the minister, having advised him on Saudi Arabias G20 presidency.
7. Adviser to FMA Partners
The consultancy was founded by Maude and co-run with Simone Finn, who was appointed as a non-executive director of the Cabinet Office last May. Its latest filing of accounts registered assets of 209,000.
8. Adviser to Nomura
Hammond joined one of Japans largest investment banks.
9. Adviser to Apidae
The Essex-based management consultancy is run by Boris Johnsons fintech ambassador, Alastair Lukies.
10. Co-chair of Future Economy Surrey Commission
The council-run body commissions reports about Surreys economic health and sets out solutions for post-pandemic recovery.
11. Partner at Buckthorn
The energy investment firm is run by Colin Moynihan, a former Conservative MP and hereditary peer.
12. Adviser to Bahrains finance minister
Acoba cleared Hammond to accept a paid, part-time role advising the country on a programme of economic and fiscal reform.
13. Adviser to Kuwait Investment Office
The office is part of the Gulf states sovereign wealth fund, with estimated assets of $592bn. Hammond told Acoba he would advise on economic challenges and investment opportunities.
14. Nominated for a peerage
Boris Johnson awarded a life peerage to Hammond in February 2020.
Thank you for your feedback.
Eric Pickles, a former cabinet colleague who chairs the Advisory Committee on Business Appointments (Acoba), said it was an unwise step for Hammond to contact a senior Treasury official about a project developed by OakNorth.
Lord Pickles said Hammonds use of his contacts in government was not consistent with the intention of the rules and was not acceptable because of the privileged access you obtained for OakNorth.
Hammond, who also served as defence secretary, was later cleared of breaching lobbying rules after an investigation by the Office of the Registrar of Consultant Lobbyists (ORCL), an independent body that monitors lobbying activities of former ministers and senior civil servants.
ORCL accepted Hammonds argument that, since lobbying was not his main activity, there was no need for him to register as a lobbyist working on behalf of a third party.
Sign up to the daily Business Today email or follow Guardian Business on Twitter at @BusinessDesk
Copper said Hammond would focus on promoting the UK as a global leader in digital asset technology. The firm, which was founded in 2018, recently announced plans to expand into the US and Asia and secured $75m (55m) of investment from the British billionaire hedge fund manager Alan Howard and the venture capital firms Dawn Capital and Target Global.
Hammond said Copper was a true pioneer of crypto and digital asset investment technology. But the really exciting opportunity lies in the application of this technology to revolutionise the way financial services are delivered, he said. If we can bring together the best of Britain entrepreneurs, industry, government, and regulators to create and enable a blockchain-based ecosystem for financial services, we will secure the UKs global leadership in this field for decades ahead.
Dmitry Tokarev, the chief executive of Copper, said: We would like to drive growth in our client base within a regulatory framework which will allow us to thrive globally from our London headquarters. With Lord Hammonds expertise adding to the strength of our team, we look forward to growing Copper and further enhancing the UKs digital asset technology offering.
As chancellor, Hammond had called for light-touch regulations for cryptocurrencies. I am interested in bitcoin. The Bank of England, as you know, among the central banks, has been leading on looking at bitcoin, he said in 2018. What is really important is that in regulating cryptocurrencies, we dont inadvertently constrain the potential of the technology that underlies it, the blockchain technology, which has a wider and more important application.
- I teach cryptocurrency at NYU. Here are 3 things crypto investors should know - MarketWatch - October 14th, 2021
- What is the Shiba Inu cryptocurrency? - Yahoo Finance - October 14th, 2021
- India Has Highest Number of Cryptocurrency Owners in the World at Over 10 Crore: Report - Gadgets 360 - October 14th, 2021
- Bitcoin slammed as WORTHLESS by JPMorgan boss as cryptocurrency price spikes... - The Sun - October 14th, 2021
- Students hop on to the cryptocurrency bandwagon - Economic Times - October 14th, 2021
- Critical Flaw in OpenSea Could Have Let Hackers Steal Cryptocurrency From Wallets - The Hacker News - October 14th, 2021
- Is It Safe for Retirees to Buy Cryptocurrency? - The Motley Fool - October 14th, 2021
- Bitcoin bounces back above $55,000, but trader has his eye on two other cryptocurrencies - CNBC - October 8th, 2021
- That time cryptocurrency proved people will buy anything - Al Jazeera English - October 8th, 2021
- US Department of Justice creates cryptocurrency enforcement unit - The Verge - October 8th, 2021
- SHIB coin: why is the Shiba Inu cryptocurrency surging? - Fast Company - October 8th, 2021
- Top cryptocurrency prices today: Bitcoin, Dogecoin, Ethereum gain up to 5% - Economic Times - October 8th, 2021
- CryptocurrencyPossible Similarities to the Dot-Com Bubble - Physician's Weekly - October 8th, 2021
- Here's a Top Cryptocurrency Stock to Buy Now - The Motley Fool - October 8th, 2021
- IMF warns of global risks from unregulated cryptocurrency boom - The Guardian - October 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Basics: What's the Difference Between Digital Coins and Tokens? - InvestorsObserver - October 8th, 2021
- Bitcoin And Other Cryptocurrencies Have Bounced Back: Latest News - TheStreet - October 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Prices Today on October 8: Bitcoin down more than 3% - Moneycontrol - October 8th, 2021
- HelbizCoin cryptocurrency lawsuit is revived - Reuters - October 8th, 2021
- All You Needed to Know About Cryptocurrency in Greece - Greek Reporter - October 8th, 2021
- Former Senate candidate accused of threatening man with gun over cryptocurrency - The Boston Globe - October 8th, 2021
- Elon Musk says cryptocurrency regulators should 'do nothing' and 'let it fly' - Fox Business - September 30th, 2021
- First cryptocurrency fund approved in Switzerland - Cointelegraph - September 30th, 2021
- Cardano is no longer the worlds third largest cryptocurrency - Business Insider India - September 30th, 2021
- Top cryptocurrency prices today: Profit booking pushes prices lower, Ethereum tanks over 5% - Economic Times - September 30th, 2021
- Do You Need To Pay Income Tax On Gains From Cryptocurrency? - NDTV Profit - September 30th, 2021
- Europe is now the world's cryptocurrency capital as China's Bitcoin bans start to bite - Euronews - September 30th, 2021
- The World Needs Cryptocurrency | Opinion - Newsweek - September 30th, 2021
- Senators aim to increase oversight of cryptocurrency mining with new bill | TheHill - The Hill - September 30th, 2021
- UK driving cryptocurrency adoption in Europe with $170 billion in activity for '20-'21 - ZDNet - September 30th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency 'industry has so much potential' what you need to know about crypto - Express - September 30th, 2021
- Litecoin price jumped 20 percent after hoax linked the cryptocurrency to Walmart - The Verge - September 15th, 2021
- Coinbase, the largest crypto exchange in the US, faces a potential SEC investigation - Vox.com - September 15th, 2021
- No, Walmart is not partnering with Litecoin cryptocurrency - KING5.com - September 15th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Prices Today on September 14: Bitcoin, Ether, Cardano plunges over 14% in one week - Moneycontrol.com - September 15th, 2021
- Will PayPals adoption of bitcoin make cryptocurrency more mainstream? - New Scientist News - September 1st, 2021
- Nigeria to Launch Its Own Cryptocurrency 'eNaira' in Partnership With Bitt - Gadgets 360 - September 1st, 2021
- Should you invest in cryptocurrency? - Economic Times - September 1st, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Trading: What Are Some of the Red Flags and How to Spot Them - Gadgets 360 - September 1st, 2021
- Cardanos Ada Is the Latest Cryptocurrency to Surge. Heres What You Need to Know. - The Wall Street Journal - August 30th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Investments: Is Buying Bitcoin Investing or Speculating? - Gadgets 360 - August 30th, 2021
- Buying Bitcoin and Ether Just Got Easier in Honduras With Cryptocurrency ATM Featured Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - August 30th, 2021
- What happens to the cryptocurrency you buy if India decides to ban it - Economic Times - August 30th, 2021
- Most used blockchain averts crisis after software flaw is fixed - Economic Times - August 30th, 2021
- RBI may launch e-currency: How will it be different from cryptocurrency? - Hindustan Times - August 30th, 2021
- Crypto debate set to return in force | TheHill - The Hill - August 30th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency makes the climate crisis worse | TheHill - The Hill - August 26th, 2021
- Cryptocurrencys Surge Leaves Global Watchdogs Trying to Catch Up - The Wall Street Journal - August 26th, 2021
- PayPal's Cryptocurrency Service Is Expanding Into the UK - Tech.co - August 26th, 2021
- More than $90 million in cryptocurrency stolen after a top Japanese exchange is hacked - CNBC - August 26th, 2021
- What you need to know about cryptocurrency and taxes - RochesterFirst - August 26th, 2021
- The World Of Cryptocurrency Wallets And Exchanges: A Deep Dive - NDTV Profit - August 26th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Trading Platform Cryptex Expanded the List of Countries for Cash Withdrawals - PRNewswire - August 26th, 2021
- Hacker Returns Stolen Cryptocurrency in Heist Reversal - The Wall Street Journal - August 14th, 2021
- What Makes The Cryptocurrency Market So Volatile? Find Out - NDTV Profit - August 14th, 2021
- Mark Cuban says dogecoin is the 'strongest' cryptocurrency as a medium of exchange - CNBC - August 14th, 2021
- Overwhelmed By the Concept of Bitcoin, Other Cryptocurrencies? Here's Quick Explainer - NBC10 Boston - August 14th, 2021
- This is the no. 1 skill you need to work in crypto, according to Gemini exchange's talent director - CNBC - August 14th, 2021
- The Senate's infrastructure cryptocurrency fight was just the beginning - MSNBC - August 14th, 2021
- Explaining the infrastructure bill's impact on cryptocurrency - Yahoo Finance - August 14th, 2021
- These are the 5 most in-demand cryptocurrency jobs right now, according to Monster - CNBC - August 14th, 2021
- Looking for a job in cryptocurrency? Do these 3 things to stand out - CNBC - August 14th, 2021
- Work Smarter, not Harder: How to Earn Passive Income with Cryptocurrency - Yahoo Finance - August 14th, 2021
- Are Altcoins Slowly Taking Over the Cryptocurrency Market? - Analytics Insight - August 14th, 2021
- The JRR Token cryptocurrency is almost certainly headed for Mt. Doom - The Verge - August 14th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Regulation SEC Wants To Bring Order To The Wild West - JD Supra - August 14th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency startup TaxBit, which just opened a new HQ in Seattle, lands $130M at $1.33B valuation - GeekWire - August 14th, 2021
- What is the best time to invest in cryptocurrency? - Economic Times - August 14th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Mining: What Is the Environmental Impact of Digital Assets - Gadgets 360 - August 14th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Will Take Over Rupee and Dollar in Future - Analytics Insight - August 14th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency investor warns government oversight could create bad regulation - Fox Business - August 14th, 2021
- $1 trillion infrastructure bill: How two cryptocurrency amendments began a conversation on digital rights - Vox.com - August 8th, 2021
- The IRS has seized $1.2 billion worth of cryptocurrency this fiscal year here's what happens to it - CNBC - August 8th, 2021
- A Few Tips To Guide You With Your First Cryptocurrency Investment - NDTV Profit - August 8th, 2021
- Why crypto community in India is bullish even as the Govt delays regulation - The Financial Express - August 8th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency and Crypto Tokens: Whats the Difference? - Gadgets 360 - August 8th, 2021
- Infrastructure Bill Threatens Cryptocurrency Ecosystem: Why Is Crypto Being Targeted With More Tax Reporting Burdens Than Traditional Finance? -... - August 8th, 2021
- Harassment of unvaccinated and invisible fortune that is cryptocurrency - ThePrint - August 8th, 2021
- Definition Of A Cryptocurrency Broker Significantly Narrowed In Senate Amendment - Forbes - August 6th, 2021
- The Cryptocurrency Surveillance Provision Buried in the Infrastructure Bill is a Disaster for Digital Privacy - EFF - August 6th, 2021