Benzinga Money is a reader-supported publication. We may earn a commission when you click on links in this article. Learn more.
Many people think of cryptocurrency as a simple store of value, but there is much more to the idea. Bitcoin is rooted in financial rebellion, not as another way to pay for a pizza. There are many benefits implied within a decentralized, trustless, immutable system of record-keeping and value transference. Political and financial leaders around the world are taking note, and you should as well.
Even if you dont plan to get involved in cryptocurrency as anything more than a portfolio hedge, youll definitely enjoy knowing just how crypto will change the financial and political world of the future.
If you have ever been annoyed waiting for a cash transfer from a bank account, you may want to consider using crypto. Transfers are instant with lower fees than platforms like Paypal. Using crypto also eliminates fraudulent chargebacks because payments on a blockchain cannot be reversed.
Using crypto also frees you to send money wherever you want with no middleman scrutinizing your transaction history. This includes international recipients who will also happily avoid Paypals expensive currency conversion fees.
The concept of the micropayment, or pay as you go, on-demand payment structure, is another advantage of using cryptocurrency. The built-in fees that you pay when using a credit card disappear with crypto, making per-second or per-minute micropayments a reality. Instead of paying a subscription fee for a streaming service, for example, crypto allows you to pay only when you watch a movie. As a matter of fact, Streamium is a video streaming service that does just that.
Even if youre not a huge crypto buff, you likely heard of the Bitcoin mania that took place around Christmas 2017. Bitcoin exploded in value, almost touching $20,000 USD per coin. At that time, it was literally the best financial investment of all time. Bitcoins value relative to the dollar has receded since then, but crypto bulls believe it can top its 2017 performance and bring the rest of the crypto market with it.
More investors than ever both individuals and institutions are holding some sort of crypto in a portfolio. This includes very public crypto skeptics like Jamie Dimon, CEO of JPMorgan Chase. The Chicago Mercantile Exchange (CME) offers options on Bitcoin futures, giving the market mainstream viability it didnt have before its breakout 2017 year. The crypto market has all of the markings of a solid potential growth investment: rising visibility and sentiment, a relatively low market cap compared to traditional asset classes and consistently increasing utility.
Many investors in the U.S. think of crypto as a volatile investment. This may be because the U.S. dollar is the worlds reserve currency and still one of the most stable currencies on the planet. To a country like Venezuela, crypto actually represents a more stable form of money. This notion is more than a pipe dream or an experiment Nigeria, Australia, Spain and Canada have all doubled their use of Bitcoin year over year.
In countries like Venezuela, the population is literally using Bitcoin to save its life. The government cannot exercise nearly as much control over cryptocurrency as it can a fiat currency. Russia is trying to create its own crypto and criminalize any other nonsanctioned competitor. The people of Zimbabwe prefer crypto to the gold-backed currency the government is pushing.
Imagine never having to pay a lawyer to do good business again. Imagine a real estate transaction with no escrow fees. This is a world that proponents of Ethereum say is quite possible. The smart contract, built on the Ethereum platform and quantified through the Ether cryptocurrency, brings the unchangeable, fraudless blockchain into the realm of law. Smart contracts create a 100% safe way to conduct an agreement sans the judicial system.
The idea of smart contracts is so well received that Ethereum has actually outpaced Bitcoin in terms of new users over the past year. Ethereum developers say that Ethereum will soon beat Bitcoin in the number of developers, daily value transfers and transactions per second.
Facebook and Twitter have recently created controversy because of their willingness to police its platform. Depending on who you ask, we lose. One of the inventive uses of cryptocurrency is to serve as the basis of a decentralized social network. In this structure, there is no central authority to blame for censoring or not censoring controversial content.
Decentralized social media also gets rid of the data privacy controversy because there is no central authority present to gather and sell private data. Cryptocurrency micropayments replace invasive ads as the platforms funding mechanism. Spam is still unwelcome, but it is moderated through a smart contract rather than a mod, who can be influenced to be subjective.
To get the most out of crypto, you need to be able to get your hands on more than 1 kind of coin. You can do this most efficiently through a trading platform. Take a look at the feature sets of the brokers below.
Although you may certainly use Bitcoin, Ether or altcoin as cash, the real benefits of crypto are much broader. Even if the current generation of cryptocurrencies phases out as money, the social and financial ideas they brought to the mainstream cannot quickly be forgotten. The ideas mentioned above represent only the tip of the digital iceberg in terms of potential social and financial utility.
Avail yourself of the more technical benefits of value stores, smart contracts and other crypto utilities. They will certainly play a major part in peoples lives in the very near future. The more you learn today about what crypto can really do, the more your life will benefit tomorrow. You may even be inspired to create a use of your own for cryptocurrency in this still quite new and wide-open space.
Finding the right financial advisor that fits your needs doesn't have to be hard. SmartAsset's free tool matches you with fiduciary financial advisors in your area in 5 minutes. Each advisor has been vetted by SmartAsset and is legally bound to act in your best interests. If you're ready to be matched with local advisors that will help you achieve your financial goals, get started now.
- Is It Too Late To Invest In Cryptocurrency? - Yahoo Finance - June 10th, 2021
- Opinion | Investing in Cryptocurrency Is No Better Than Gambling - Barron's - June 10th, 2021
- What's really behind the bitcoin decline and why it could take the cryptocurrency as low as $20000 - CNBC - June 10th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency industry lobbies Washington for 'regulatory clarity' | TheHill - The Hill - June 10th, 2021
- Inside the world of rising cryptocurrency and DeFi scams - Moneycontrol.com - June 10th, 2021
- Interactive Brokers to Offer Cryptocurrency Trading by Summer's End - ThinkAdvisor - June 10th, 2021
- Bitcoin selloff: Will the cryptocurrency drop to $20,000? - Business Today - June 10th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Prices Today on June 7: Bitcoin, ether, dogecoin and more - Moneycontrol.com - June 10th, 2021
- Tough regulations are coming for the cryptocurrency sector - Verdict - June 10th, 2021
- Proof-of-space cryptocurrency Chia triggers HDD sales boom in Europe - The Register - June 10th, 2021
- Visa And The Cryptocurrency Opportunity: Inside The Card Networks Digital Currency Plans - Forbes - June 6th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Prices on June 4: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Dogecoin and more - Moneycontrol.com - June 6th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Ban: Unworkable and Unwise - The Wall Street Journal - June 6th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency latest news today: Trading in virtual currencies? RBI has this important update for you | Ch... - Zee Business - June 6th, 2021
- Top Cryptocurrency Prices Today: Bitcoin, Ether slip; Dogecoin tanks 13% - Economic Times - June 6th, 2021
- The Daymak Spiritus Is the Worlds First EV That Mines Cryptocurrency - Robb Report - June 6th, 2021
- Infowars Article - May 31st, 2021
- Bitcoin ($BTC USD) Vs Ethereum ($ETH): Which Cryptocurrency Price Is Better? - Bloomberg - May 31st, 2021
- Top Cryptocurrency Prices Today: Cardano, Ethereum, XRP gain up to 6% - Economic Times - May 31st, 2021
- Miami to host largest cryptocurrency conference in history - Fox Business - May 31st, 2021
- Cryptocurrency INR price May 31: Bitcoin, Dogecoin, Ethereum, Shiba Inu and other top coins-check how they... - Zee Business - May 31st, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Crash: Is It Time to Buy the Dip? - The Motley Fool - May 30th, 2021
- Modi govt may set new panel for Cryptocurrency. Will regulation help Bitcoin, Dogecoin and other investors? - The Financial Express - May 30th, 2021
- The Jakarta Post - May 28th, 2021
- www.thejakartapost.com - May 28th, 2021
- What the Future Holds for the Attractive Cryptocurrency Market - Yahoo Finance - May 28th, 2021
- Sioux Falls CoinLion weighs in on recent volatility in cryptocurrency - KELOLAND.com - May 28th, 2021
- What is cryptocurrency and why did the market drop? - KING5.com - May 28th, 2021
- Ban Cryptocurrency to Fight Ransomware - The Wall Street Journal - May 28th, 2021
- Why Cryptocurrency Stocks Popped Today - The Motley Fool - May 28th, 2021
- Top Cryptocurrency Prices Today: Bitcoin, Dogecoin and others retreat - Economic Times - May 28th, 2021
- Meet two of the world's largest cryptocurrency holders - Moneycontrol.com - May 28th, 2021
- Dubaicoin surges 1,000% on fake claims of being citys official cryptocurrency - Economic Times - May 28th, 2021
- Stocks could be volatile in week ahead amid turbulence from cryptocurrency - CNBC - May 28th, 2021
- Here Is Everything You Need To Know About Cryptocurrency - Analytics Insight - May 28th, 2021
- Two-Day-Old Cryptocurrency Surges to $45 Billion Market Value - Bloomberg - May 12th, 2021
- Ethereum, the world's second-largest cryptocurrency, soars above $4,000 for the first time - CNBC - May 12th, 2021
- As Scrutiny of Cryptocurrency Grows, the Industry Turns to K Street - The New York Times - May 12th, 2021
- 1 Simple (and Safer) Way to Invest in Cryptocurrency - The Motley Fool - May 12th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency On the Move - Yahoo Finance - May 12th, 2021
- Telcoin Crypto: How and Why to Invest in This Disruptive Cryptocurrency - Investment U - May 12th, 2021
- What is 'green' cryptocurrency Chia and just how eco-friendly is it? - Euronews - May 12th, 2021
- Ethereum cryptocurrency passes $4,000 for the first time - CNET - May 12th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Is Now Worth More Than All US Currency in Circulation - Futurism - May 12th, 2021
- Amun and 21Shares, the Largest Issuer of Cryptocurrency ETPs, Announces Investors Including Catherine Wood and Anthony - GlobeNewswire - May 12th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency investors should be prepared to lose all their money, Bank of England governor says - CNBC - May 9th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency ether rises to new record high over $3600 - Reuters - May 9th, 2021
- Cramer says he owns 'a lot' of red-hot cryptocurrency ether that's tripled bitcoin's 2021 gain - CNBC - May 9th, 2021
- Bitcoin is no longer the cryptocurrency king - TechRadar - May 9th, 2021
- Major Ethereum upgrades could boost the price further. Here's a roadmap. - Markets Insider - May 9th, 2021
- EBay says open to accepting to cryptocurrencies in future, exploring NFTs - Reuters - May 9th, 2021
- Heres a Bitcoin Timeline for Everything You Need To Know About the Cryptocurrency - Yahoo Finance - May 9th, 2021
- South Korean Police Officers Banned From Buying Cryptocurrency Regulation Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - May 9th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency Clamor: Paying Employees in Bitcoin Has Reached the Mainstream - JD Supra - May 9th, 2021
- Rise of cryptocurrency: How it works, where its going - RochesterFirst - May 1st, 2021
- GitHub Reacts to Growing Cryptocurrency Mining Attacks Using GitHub Actions - InfoQ.com - May 1st, 2021
- How to Make Money With Cryptocurrency - NBC Connecticut - April 28th, 2021
- Cryptocurrency is making its way into the Magic City - WIAT - CBS42.com - April 28th, 2021
- 5 Free Fintech And Cryptocurrency Newsletters You Need To Read - Forbes - April 28th, 2021
- Delchain Partners With Flare to Advance Seamless Cryptocurrency Transactions - PRNewswire - April 28th, 2021
- 3 analysts explain why ether will surpass bitcoin as the leading cryptocurrency - Markets Insider - April 28th, 2021
- An act of benevolence: how cryptocurrency investors are stepping in to help India in time of need - Economic Times - April 28th, 2021
- Bitcoin and the Realm of Cryptocurrency - Lexology - April 28th, 2021
- Whats going on with bitcoin? Cryptocurrency is following price prediction model with astonishing precision - The Independent - April 28th, 2021
- Bill Aimed at Coordinating the SEC and CFTC Positions on Cryptocurrency Passes the US House - Lexology - April 28th, 2021
- What's driving Indians into cryptocurrency amid all the uncertainty - Economic Times - April 28th, 2021
- H. C. Wainwright to Host Cryptocurrency, Blockchain, and Fintech Virtual Conference - Business Wire - April 28th, 2021
- Tesla reveals $101 million bitcoin profit following its massive cryptocurrency investment - Yahoo News - April 28th, 2021
- Three indirect ways investors can play the cryptocurrency craze - CNBC - April 22nd, 2021
- Why Bitcoin ($BTC) Plunged, and What Is The Cryptocurrency's Price Outlook Now? - Bloomberg - April 22nd, 2021
- Why SafeMoon Cryptocurrency Is Up 130% And What You Should Know About It - Benzinga - April 22nd, 2021
- Did PayPal Just Make Cryptocurrency The Cash Of The Future? - Forbes - April 22nd, 2021
- Why Bitcoin Is The Only Cryptocurrency You Need - Florida Trend - April 22nd, 2021
- Bill Gates betting on total collapse of Bitcoin as cryptocurrency slumps: Analysts - Republic TV - April 22nd, 2021
- Cryptocurrency's Future in the U.S. Is Threatened By SEC Action Against Ripple - Bloomberg Law - April 22nd, 2021
- Marathon to Participate in the H.C. Wainwright Cryptocurrency, Blockchain & FinTech Conference on April 27, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - April 22nd, 2021
- The Coming Cryptocurrency Crash (And the One Crypto You Should Buy) - InvestorPlace - April 22nd, 2021
- Logan Simmons and Zach Conley announce the acceptance of cryptocurrency with their digital marketing agency, Volume Digital - Yahoo Finance - April 22nd, 2021
- Breaking Down the Basics of Cryptocurrency - Yahoo Finance - April 22nd, 2021
- Cryptocurrency inflows reach $4.9 billion on April 16 - Business Today - April 22nd, 2021