CoreWeave, the largest U.S. miner on the Ethereum blockchain, is redirecting the processing power of 6,000 specialized computer chips toward research to find a therapy for the coronavirus.
These graphics processing units (GPUs) will be pointed toward Stanford University's Folding@home, a long-standing research effort that unveiled a project on Feb. 27 specifically to boost coronavirus research by way of a unique approach to developing pharmaceutical drugs: connecting thousands of computers from around the world to form a distributed supercomputer for disease research.
CoreWeave co-founder and Chief Technology Officer (CTO) Brian Venturo said the project has at least a shot at finding a drug for the virus. As such, CoreWeave has responded by doubling the power of the entire network with its GPUs, which are designed to handle repetitive calculations.
According to Venturo, those 6,000 GPUs made up about 0.2 percent of Ethereum's total hashrate, earning roughly 28 ETH per day, worth about $3,600 at press time.
There is no cure for the coronavirus just yet (though various groups are working on vaccines and research to combat the disease, including IBM's supercomputer). Venturo noted that Folding@home has been used to contribute to breakthroughs in the creation of other important drugs.
"Their research had profound impacts on the development of front-line HIV defense drugs, and we are hoping our [computing power] will aid in the fight against coronavirus," Venturo said.
The coronavirus is taking a toll across the world. Italy and Spain are on lockdown. Conferences, stores and restaurants are closing to stem the spread of the disease; by stoking fears, it's slamming the financial markets in the process.
When the idea of using GPUs for coronavirus research was mentioned to CoreWeave, the team didn't think twice.
They had a test system up and running "within minutes," Venturo said. Since then, the project quickly snowballed. CoreWeave has been contributing over half of the overall computing power going into the coronavirus wing of Folding@home.
"The idea of 'should we do this?' was never really brought up, it kind of just happened. We were all enthusiastic that we might be able to help," Venturo added.
Folding@home is a decentralized project in the same vein as Bitcoin. Instead of one research firm alone using a massive computer to do research, Folding@home uses the computing power of anyone who wants to participate from around the world even if it's just a single laptop with a little unused computing power to spare.
In this case, the computing power is used to find helpful information relating to the coronavirus. Much like in bitcoin mining, one user might detect a "solution" to the problem at hand, distributing this information to the rest of the group.
"Their protein simulations attempt to find potential 'pockets' where existing [U.S. federal agency Food and Drug Administration (FDA)] approved drugs or other known compounds could help inhibit or treat the virus," Venturo said.
Viruses have proteins "that they use to suppress our immune systems and reproduce themselves. To help tackle coronavirus, we want to understand how these viral proteins work and how we can design therapeutics to stop them," a Folding@home blog post explains.
Simulating these proteins and then looking at them from different angles helps scientists to understand them better, with the potential of finding an antidote. Computers accelerate this process by shuffling through the variations very quickly.
"Our specialty is in using computer simulations to understand proteins moving parts. Watching how the atoms in a protein move relative to one another is important because it captures valuable information that is inaccessible by any other means," the post reads.
Folding@home could use even more power. Venturo urges other GPU miners to join the cause.
Even without these calls for participation, though, miners of other cryptocurrencies are already independently taking action. Tulip.tools founder Johann Tanzer put out a call to action to Tezos bakers (that blockchains equivalent of miners) last week, promising to send the leading contributor to Folding@home a modest 15 XTZ, worth roughly $20 at press time.
The initiative blew up, to Tanzer's surprise. Though they might not be contributing as much power as CoreWeave, 20 groups of Tezos miners are now contributing a slice of their hashing power to the cause. Tanzer's pot has swelled to roughly $600 as Tezos users caught wind of the effort and donated.
But that's not to say all miners can participate. While GPUs are flexible, application-specific integrated circuits (ASICs), a type of chip designed specifically for mining, aren't, according to Venturo. Though ASICs are more powerful than GPUs, they're really only made for one thing: To mine cryptocurrency. This is one advantage Venturo thinks Ethereum has over Bitcoin, since GPU mining still works on the former, whereas the latter is now dominated by ASICs.
"This is one of the great things about the Ethereum mining ecosystem, it's basically the largest GPU compute resource on the planet. We were able to redeploy our hardware to help fight a global pandemic in minutes," Venturo said. (However, it's worth noting that Ethereum has seen ASICs enter the fray. Not to mention, ether miners might soon go extinct when a pivotal upgrade makes its way into the network.)
ASICs are useless for the Folding@Home effort, but if bitcoin miners have old GPUs lying around from the early days that they could contribute, too.
Even if other miners join up, though, it's still a long shot that the effort will lead to a helpful drug.
"After discussing with some industry experts [...] we believe the chance of success in utilizing the work done on Folding@Home to deliver a drug to market to be in the 2-5% range," Venturo said.
The leader in blockchain news, CoinDesk is a media outlet that strives for the highest journalistic standards and abides by a strict set of editorial policies. CoinDesk is an independent operating subsidiary of Digital Currency Group, which invests in cryptocurrencies and blockchain startups.
- As Bitcoin Flounders, This Tiny Cryptocurrency Has Soared Over 200%Heres Why - Forbes - May 23rd, 2020
- What to Know About Billions' Cryptocurrency Drama If You Know Nothing About Cryptocurrency - Vulture - May 23rd, 2020
- Tether, the most promising stable coin, now the third most valuable cryptocurrency - Nairametrics - May 23rd, 2020
- Taxation on the Cryptocurrency - Live Bitcoin News - May 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Worth $282K from the 2016 Bitfinex Hack on the Move - Bitcoin News - May 23rd, 2020
- A detailed overview of Cryptocurrency Market [PDF] with innovation in technology, various aspects of the industry players, regions, types, and... - May 23rd, 2020
- Why Have Cryptocurrency Payments Failed to Take Off So Far? - Cointelegraph - May 22nd, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and COVID-19: Bitcoins Path to a Safe Haven - Cointelegraph - May 22nd, 2020
- Analysis on Impact of COVID-19- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market 2020-2024 | Rising Popularity Of Mining Pools to Boost Growth | Technavio -... - May 22nd, 2020
- Top Cryptocurrency Trading Bots 2020 - Conquer The World - KryptoMoney - May 22nd, 2020
- Crypto hedge funds struggle to recover from bloodbath - Financial Times - May 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoins prices slip amid speculation that a block of the cryptocurrency possibly linked to creator Satoshi Nakamoto just changed hands - MarketWatch - May 20th, 2020
- Is 2020 the year to invest in cryptocurrency? - About Manchester - May 20th, 2020
- Ripple, third most valuable cryptocurrency, gets approval from the US for money transfers - Nairametrics - May 20th, 2020
- PODCAST | Why is Africa the most promising region for cryptocurrency? - Business Day - May 20th, 2020
- Learn how to invest in the stock market and cryptocurrency - New York Post - May 20th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact ON Cryptocurrency Exchanges Market: Size, Market Analysis, Application, Growth Drivers, Trends, status and Research Report by 2025 -... - May 20th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market 2020 Size & Share Outlook with COVID-19 Impact Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 20th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Receiving Massive Favor Amidst Inflation - Move Your Money - May 20th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market 2020 Global Overview, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Leading Company Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole... - May 20th, 2020
- Telegram shuts down its cryptocurrency operation - The Verge - May 18th, 2020
- The Global Digital Asset & Cryptocurrency Association in Chicago wants to be the one to regulate digital currencies - Crain's Chicago Business - May 15th, 2020
- Bitcoin halving Q&A: what it's all about and what it means for the cryptocurrency - The Conversation US - May 15th, 2020
- This Minor Cryptocurrency Is On Track To Smash Bitcoin In 2020 - Forbes - May 15th, 2020
- FATF: How Will the Guidelines Affect Canadas Crypto Industry? - Finance Magnates - May 15th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency market update: Donald Trump will send Bitcoin to the moon - FXStreet - May 15th, 2020
- Bitcoin and cryptocurrency markets: Where next? - FXStreet - May 15th, 2020
- Thailand Sticks by its Cryptocurrency Commitment - The Phuket News - May 15th, 2020
- Man charged over cryptocurrency investment fraud - The Star Online - May 15th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin in tactical retreat to $9,600 before another jump to $10,000 - FXStreet - May 15th, 2020
- No way around it: the irreparable damage cryptocurrency does to the environment - Green Prophet - May 15th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin fails to hit 10K but could make another push - FXStreet - May 15th, 2020
- Teen Hackers Accused of Cryptocurrency Theft, Sued For $71 Mn - CISO MAG - May 11th, 2020
- Paul Tudor Jones calls bitcoin a 'great speculation,' says he has almost 2% of his assets in it - CNBC - May 11th, 2020
- Coinbase CEO Says New Cryptocurrency Bill Would Have Major Impact on Future of Finance - The Daily Hodl - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bloodbath as Bitcoin nosedives to $8,000, Ethereum $180 and Ripple $0.1780 - FXStreet - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 11th, 2020
- The IRS Wants to Know About Your Cryptocurrency Transactions - Interesting Engineering - May 11th, 2020
- Bitcoin's halving might see a large influx of investors wanting a piece of the cryptocurrency market - Mashable SE Asia - May 11th, 2020
- Investors Who Bought iMining Blockchain and Cryptocurrency (CVE:IMIN) Shares A Year Ago Are Now Up 56% - Simply Wall St - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple have a bullish start to Saturday, following Fridays drop - FXStreet - May 11th, 2020
- What is a cryptocurrency and why is it needed? - AMBCrypto English - May 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Litecoin dipped to 12% - The Times Hub - May 11th, 2020
- Hong Kong Cryptocurrency Platform Crypto.com Announces New $100 Million Insurance Policy Led By Arch Underwriting That Extends Total Coverage to $360... - May 11th, 2020
- Verady Unveils Ledgible Accounting Partnerships With Blockchain.Com and Algorand - AiThority - May 7th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin leaves behind Ethereum and Ripple in the dust as bulls start consolidating their positions pre-halving -... - May 7th, 2020
- 7 Explosive Cryptocurrencies to Buy for the Bitcoin Halvening - InvestorPlace - May 7th, 2020
- Talking Crypto: Learn to really understand the world of cryptocurrency - Financial Post - May 5th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency This Week: Crypto Exchanges Seeks GST Clarification From RBI & More - Inc42 Media - May 5th, 2020
- Google Profits off Impersonations of Banned Cryptocurrency Celebs and Companies - Bitcoin News - May 5th, 2020
- Andreessen Horowitz Creates Second Cryptocurrency Fund With $515M Investment - Benzinga - May 5th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency And Blockchain Technology Market to Observe Strong Development by 2022 - Kentucky Journal 24 - May 5th, 2020
- Bitcoin Accounts For 78% Of The Cryptocurrency Derivatives Market In Q1 2020, Study Finds - CryptoPotato - May 5th, 2020
- MyCryptoMixer 2020 - The Best Bitcoin Mixer Necessary To Protect User's Anonymity and Privacy | Press release - Bitcoin News - May 5th, 2020
- TenX Debit Card Allows Spending Crypto as Cash - Move Your Money - May 5th, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies are gaining major traction as global economy shrinks - IOL - May 5th, 2020
- Total Cryptocurrency Market Cap Adds $20 Billion In Less Than 24 Hours - newsBTC - April 29th, 2020
- US Congress Considering More Than Two Dozen Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Proposals - The Daily Hodl - April 29th, 2020
- Congress Has Now Introduced 32 Crypto And Blockchain Bills - Forbes - April 29th, 2020
- Did This Norwegian Multimillionaire Invent a Cryptocurrency Ransom to Cover Up the Murder of His Wife? - Vanity Fair - April 29th, 2020
- Drawbacks of Cryptocurrency Exchanges - How Non-Custodial Services Are the Solution | Sponsored - Bitcoin News - April 29th, 2020
- Circuit Breakers Could Be Coming to CryptoBut Will they Be Effective? - Finance Magnates - April 29th, 2020
- North Koreas Alleged $670M Cryptocurrency Stash in Question Amid Rumors of Kim Jong-Uns Death - BeInCrypto - April 29th, 2020
- Tips to Understand Cryptocurrency and White Paper - Crypto Daily - April 29th, 2020
- Ethereum Near Levels That Sent Price 25% Down in 2019 - newsBTC - April 29th, 2020
- $8.8 Trillion Traded in Cryptocurrency Spot and Futures Markets in Q1: Reports | Markets and Prices Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - April 29th, 2020
- Things You Should Be Aware Of Behind the Cryptocurrency And 5G Covid-19 Plot - The Coin Republic - April 29th, 2020
- New cryptocurrency 'CRO' to list on CoinDCX crypto exchange, to be traded in two pairs - CNBCTV18 - April 29th, 2020
- Binance-backed Cryptocurrency Derivatives Exchange FTX to Launch Spot Trading in the US - Crowdfund Insider - April 29th, 2020
- Some US Citizens Look to Be Splashing Their Stimulus Cash on Cryptocurrency - CoinDesk - April 24th, 2020
- There's Cryptocurrency Twist in Crazy 5G COVID-19 Conspiracy - U.Today - April 24th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency predictions: what coins to choose in 2020? - Capital.com - April 24th, 2020
- This is what happens to cryptocurrency paid out in sextortion campaigns - ZDNet - April 24th, 2020
- This AI-focused cryptocurrency is up 300%, but on-chain fundamentals spell trouble - CryptoSlate - April 24th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin. Ethereum and Ripple in total lockdown as consolidation takes over - FXStreet - April 24th, 2020
- Tether Surpasses XRP to Become the Third-Largest Cryptocurrency - newsBTC - April 24th, 2020
- TaxBit Simplifies Cryptocurrency Taxes with Innovative Reporting and Audit Tools - BTCMANAGER - April 24th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Price Analysis: Bitcoin, Ethereum, Ripple, and ChainLink Where Are They Heading? - Coingape - April 24th, 2020
- Is Chinas National Cryptocurrency The Beginning Of A New Financial Era? - The Coin Republic - April 24th, 2020
- Ripple Executive Says Institutional Trading Boosting XRP Behind the Scenes, With Cryptocurrency Exchange Bitso Taking the Lead - The Daily Hodl - April 24th, 2020