Personal computers are illegally hacked by cryptocurrency miners to collect Monero cryptos.
Microsoft is replacing humans with AI to select and curate news stories on the companys Edge browsers and MSN site. That move will lead to over 20 people losing their jobs.
Googles Pixel Buds 2 has a connectivity issue, according to a growing number of user reports on the companys support forum and Reddit.
Facebook is making some updates to its user verification policy. With this change, page owners with large audiences need to confirm their identity with the social network.
Lastly, Indias Department of Telecom (DoT) has issued a notice to internet service providers (ISP) to block a file-sharing platform.
Crypto-jacking is the process of illegally using someone elses computer to mine or collect Bitcoin or other types of cryptocurrencies.
In the UK, an 18-year-olds computer was crypto-jacked by miners to collect Monero cryptocurrency, the BBC reported.
Abdelrhman Badr did not know he was crypto-jacked until he noticed unusual activities in his computer. Even after turning his PC to sleep mode, the fans kept running.
And when he opened the laptop, the main login page would open up without the usual login page.
"My computer wasn't actually going to sleep at all," he told the BBC.
Badr serendipitously found about the mining when he was going through the computers program. The device has been sending information to a website he never heard of.
That website was collecting Monero cryptocurrency. In retrospect, Badr thought that an accidental download might have installed a malware in his pc.
Badrs computer falling prey to cryptocurrency mining is not on-off. A few weeks earlier, a pan-European group claimed to have attempted mining cryptocurrencies using multiple machines.
The practice of illegally collecting crpytocurrencies is currently on rise as the price of the asset is falling, according to Palo Alto Networks.
So, to reduce costs associated with mining, hackers resort to crypto-jacking.
AI to replace humans at Microsofts news curation division
Microsoft has decided to replace humans with AI to select, edit and curate news stories on the companys news webpage and Edge browser, the Guardian reported.
The move resulted in over 27 individuals losing their jobs at PA Media, a company contracted by Microsoft to manage its news page. The employees were told that the software companys decision to terminate its contract is a result of Microsofts global shift to use AI for news.
The PA Media team managing Microsofts MSN site does not file own stories. They only select articles from other news organisations and post them on Microsofts website. For hosting these articles, both Microsoft and the news organisation share advertising revenue.
We are in the process of winding down the Microsoft team working at PA, and we are doing everything we can to support the individuals concerned, a spokesperson at PA Media said in a statement.
We are proud of the work we have done with Microsoft and know we delivered a high-quality service.
Microsoft said that the company decision to use AI is not a result of the current pandemic. It has been evaluating its businesses on a regular basis to increase investment in some functions, and reducing in others.
Facebook to verify identity of users with large audiences
Facebook said it will verify identity of users with large audiences in the US in an effort to improve user experience in its apps.
The move will be the social networks extension of its page verification process started in 2018. Back then, Facebook verified users who manage Pages with a large group of followers.
The extension in the attestation policy comes at a time when the US is warming up for 2020 Presidential election. And the addition to the ID confirmation process may limit the spread of viral posts if the social network spots inauthentic behaviour.
The social media company wants to ensure that real people, and not bots, use its network. The move will also help users to know who is the actual person behind the content they see on Facebook. The messengers identity is important given their message reaches a large number of people.
If someone does not verify their identity or provides an ID that does not match a linked Facebook account, the speed of the viral post will be reduce so fewer users will see it.
And if the person posting the content is a Page admin, that person will need to complete a Page Publishing Authorization. Without completing it, their account wont be verified, and they cant post any content on the page.
The ID shared for verification will be stored securely and will not be shared on a persons profile.
Internet service providers in India asked to block WeTransfer
WeTransfer, a Netherlands-based file sharing platform, has been blocked in India on instruction from Department of Telecom (DoT) to internet service providers (ISP), Reuters reported.
The DoT had issued an order on May 18 to ISPs without giving a reason for blocking the site. The order invokes a clause from conditions laid out for granting licences to ISPs, Reuters said on reviewing the note.
Per the clause invoked by DoT, all ISPs must block websites in the interest of national security or public interest.
At this moment in time, WeTransfer seems to be blocked and unavailable in India, WeTransfer said in a blog post.
We are working hard to understand the reasoning behind this block, as well as how to get it reverted as soon as possible.
WeTransfer allows users to share and upload files of up to 2GB for free in one transfer. Paid users can transfer 20GB per upload.
Pixel Buds 2 users report issues
A growing number of Pixel Buds 2 report Bluetooth connectivity issues, 9to5 Google reported.
Several threads on Google support forums and some on Reddit show many users facing issues related to random audio cutouts, leading to brief pauses while connected to the buds.
The issues have been coming up since the first pieces were shipped, and Googles updates arent solving the connection problem.
Unfortunately, even with the latest version 295 update, the problem is not fixed, based on reports by users.
In one of the cases, even a replacement pair did not solve the issue.
A review on Reddit said: I was really excited to get these in today, but have had nothing but issues with them. While sitting at my computer they seemed to work fine, but I noticed that if I touched the left ear bud or moved my head too much, it would cut out.
View original post here:
Todays cache | Crypto-jacking, and more - The Hindu
- Cryptocurrency trading vs. forex: The similarities and differences - AZ Big Media - June 25th, 2020
- Financial Inclusion, Cryptocurrency and the Developing World - Cointelegraph - June 25th, 2020
- Phishing and cryptocurrency scams squashed as one million emails are reported to new anti-scam hotline - ZDNet - June 25th, 2020
- 83% of BTCs addresses are smiling to the Bank - Nairametrics - June 25th, 2020
- Protesters Around The World Are Putting Their Hopes Into Cryptocurrency - Forbes - June 25th, 2020
- The Benefits of Cryptocurrency Trading Crypto Benzinga - Benzinga - June 25th, 2020
- Miners Are Sending Bitcoins to Exchanges Again and That May Be Bearish - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 25th, 2020
- Akon City: $6 Billion Cryptocurrency City Set to Begin Construction | News - Bitcoin News - June 25th, 2020
- UNICEF Cryptocurrency Fund announces its largest investment of startups in developing and emerging economies - UNICEF - June 25th, 2020
- NetCents Technology paves the way for mainstream cryptocurrency adoption by offering daily settlements to merchants - Proactive Investors USA &... - June 25th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Share Analysis and Research Report by 2025 - CueReport - June 25th, 2020
- From Ethereum to Stellar, to Solana: Cryptocurrency Kin Confirms Blockchain Migration - CoinDesk - June 25th, 2020
- Jim Rogers Discusses Bitcoin as Money and Why Governments Will Stop Crypto | News - Bitcoin News - June 25th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Bitmain, NVIDIA, Xilinx, Intel, Advanced Micro Devices, Ripple, Bitfury, Ethereum Foundation, CoinBase,... - June 25th, 2020
- EY Launches First-Of-Its-Kind Cryptocurrency Reporting App - PRNewswire - June 25th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency: Redefining the Future of Finance - Visual Capitalist - June 16th, 2020
- A Cryptocurrency User Paid $2.6M In Transaction Fee To Send $136 Twice - Benzinga - June 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Regulations in times of COVID-19: A boon or bane to India? - Lexology - June 16th, 2020
- Are CryptoCurrencies The Future Of Finance? - Digital Information World - June 16th, 2020
- Nevermind Coinbase Big Brother Is Already Watching Your Coins - Cointelegraph - June 16th, 2020
- Fireblocks integrates with Chainalysis to set a new compliance and security standard for financial institutions and cryptocurrency businesses -... - June 16th, 2020
- Creating A Crypto-Exchange - The Types & The Steps - YourStory - June 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin and the rest of cryptos following the global stock market - FXStreet - June 16th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Cryptocurrency Market by COVID19 Impact Analysis And Top Manufacturers: ZEB IT Service, Coinsecure, Coinbase, Bitstamp, Litecoin,... - June 16th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Intel, CoinBase, BitGo, and Binance - WorldsTrend - June 16th, 2020
- Justice Gets 15 Guilty Pleas for International Crime Ring that Laundered Money Through Cryptocurrency Exchanges - Nextgov - June 13th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin Suddenly Dropped 6% on Thursday - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 13th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 13th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin drops to $9,100, the rest of the market follows suit - FXStreet - June 13th, 2020
- Due to COVID-19 Cryptocurrency Market Groundwork 2020: Provides an In-Depth Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Global Market Trends Forecast... - June 13th, 2020
- Binance Launches Quarterly BTC/USD Futures With Up To 125x Leverage - Benzinga - June 13th, 2020
- CashTelex Is Driving Mainstream Crypto Adoption Through Its Brand New Physical Asset-Backed Cryptocurrency CTLX - Yahoo Finance - June 13th, 2020
- Chainalysis Partners with A&D Forensics, Expanding Access to its Cryptocurrency Investigative Tools in Africa - bitcoinke.io - June 13th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Can Become a Medicine to Treat the Challenges Caused by Covid-19 - Coin Idol - June 13th, 2020
- Global Cryptocurrency Mining Market Expected to Reach Highest CAGR by 2025 Top Players: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc, Russian Miner Coin, Halong... - June 13th, 2020
- The emerging world of cryptocurrency - Global Banking And Finance Review - June 13th, 2020
- Someone paid $2.6 million in fees to move $134 worth of crypto and oops - Mashable - June 11th, 2020
- 80% of US and European Institutional Investors Find Cryptocurrency Appealing: Survey - Bitcoin News - June 11th, 2020
- Zilliqa, the fast-rising cryptocurrency that has gained more than 845% since March - Nairametrics - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency misappropriation, hacking, theft and fraud on target for banner year - JD Supra - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Quotes and Forecasts: Last Updates on Cryptocurrencies - FinSMEs - June 11th, 2020
- Europol busts $17 million illegal Netflix site that used cryptocurrency - Decrypt - June 11th, 2020
- Watch | What is crypto-jacking? - The Hindu - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and Capital Gains: The Sources of Vermont Candidates' Wealth - Seven Days - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market 2020 | Scope of Current and Future Industry 2026 - Surfacing Magazine - June 11th, 2020
- Meet ZCash, the cryptocurrency that protects your privacy better than Bitcoin - Nairametrics - June 11th, 2020
- Riot Blockchain Continues Optimization of Mining Operations - AiThority - June 11th, 2020
- GPU as a Service Market to Witness Remarkable Gains From Cryptocurrency Mining Applications 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: IOTA rockets to the moon Bitcoin, Ripple and Ethereum in consolidation - FXStreet - June 11th, 2020
- The Bull & The Bear: Dispelling, Confirming Myths and Truths About Crypto - Money and Markets - June 11th, 2020
- Trio of Analysts Bullish on Ethereum (ETH) As Cryptocurrency Shows Robust Fundamentals - The Daily Hodl - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin needs to settle above $10,600 to avoid the sell-off - FXStreet - June 11th, 2020
- Regulating cryptocurrency exchanges - The Indian Express - June 2nd, 2020
- Russia Sort Of Dropped The Hammer On Bitcoin, Crypto - Forbes - June 2nd, 2020
- Cryptocurrency This Week: Indian Crypto Exchanges Witness Surge In New Users, Bitcoin Sees $1000 Spike & More - Inc42 Media - June 2nd, 2020
- SEC Wins Terminating Sanctions Against Cryptocurrency Creator - Law Street Media - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin hodl waves indicate 60% of the cryptocurrency is being hoarded analysts suggest a bull run could be - Business Insider India - June 2nd, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies and Online Gaming: 4 Use Cases - the blockchain land - June 2nd, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Its a sea of red in the crypto market today - FXStreet - June 2nd, 2020
- Japanese Finance Minister May Be Opposed to Lowering Tax on Crypto - Cointelegraph - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin Cash Vietnam-Based Fiat-to-Crypto Trading Support Added to Bvnex Exchange | Exchanges - Bitcoin News - June 2nd, 2020
- Crypto.com Becomes the First Cryptocurrency Company in the World to Achieve ISO/IEC 27701:2019 Certification - WFMZ Allentown - June 2nd, 2020
- The Ethereum cryptocurrency has risen above $250,71, showing an increase of 5% - The Times Hub - June 2nd, 2020
- Chinas Cryptocurrency Legitimate Threat to Bitcoin and Dollar - Move Your Money - June 2nd, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Intel, CoinBase, BitGo, and... - Azizsalon News - June 2nd, 2020
- As Bitcoin Flounders, This Tiny Cryptocurrency Has Soared Over 200%Heres Why - Forbes - May 23rd, 2020
- What to Know About Billions' Cryptocurrency Drama If You Know Nothing About Cryptocurrency - Vulture - May 23rd, 2020
- Tether, the most promising stable coin, now the third most valuable cryptocurrency - Nairametrics - May 23rd, 2020
- Taxation on the Cryptocurrency - Live Bitcoin News - May 23rd, 2020
- Bitcoin Worth $282K from the 2016 Bitfinex Hack on the Move - Bitcoin News - May 23rd, 2020
- A detailed overview of Cryptocurrency Market [PDF] with innovation in technology, various aspects of the industry players, regions, types, and... - May 23rd, 2020
- Why Have Cryptocurrency Payments Failed to Take Off So Far? - Cointelegraph - May 22nd, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and COVID-19: Bitcoins Path to a Safe Haven - Cointelegraph - May 22nd, 2020
- Analysis on Impact of COVID-19- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market 2020-2024 | Rising Popularity Of Mining Pools to Boost Growth | Technavio -... - May 22nd, 2020
- Top Cryptocurrency Trading Bots 2020 - Conquer The World - KryptoMoney - May 22nd, 2020
- Crypto hedge funds struggle to recover from bloodbath - Financial Times - May 22nd, 2020
- Bitcoins prices slip amid speculation that a block of the cryptocurrency possibly linked to creator Satoshi Nakamoto just changed hands - MarketWatch - May 20th, 2020
- Is 2020 the year to invest in cryptocurrency? - About Manchester - May 20th, 2020
- Ripple, third most valuable cryptocurrency, gets approval from the US for money transfers - Nairametrics - May 20th, 2020
- PODCAST | Why is Africa the most promising region for cryptocurrency? - Business Day - May 20th, 2020