FE ONLINE REPORT | Published: July 17, 2020 12:28:38
The US Embassy in Bangladesh and the US Department of Justices Office of Overseas Prosecutorial Development, Assistance and Training (DOJ-OPDAT) launched a three-part webinar series entitled Criminal Influences on the Dark Web and in the Use of Cryptocurrency during the first week of this July.
Almost 50 prosecutors, investigators, judges, financial analysts, and government officials from Bangladesh met virtually through an interactive online platform to learn how criminal organisations use the dark web and cryptocurrency to conduct drug trafficking, money laundering, and other nefarious activities, according to a statement issued by the embassy on its website on July 13.
The instructor for the course is the Department of Justices John Ghose, who is the International Computer Hacking and Intellectual Property Attorney for the Dark Web and Cryptocurrency.
United States Ambassador Earl Miller opened the webinar series, praising law enforcement heroes, including all participants, who bravely and selflessly meet the challenges of the Covid-19 pandemic.
He noted they have my respect, admiration, and gratitude for the very difficult and dangerous job [they] do so very well.
Ambassador Miller also praised Bangladesh for continuing to strengthen anti-terrorism efforts on many fronts through its robust anti-money laundering measures, standing up additional Anti-Terrorism Tribunals around the country, and expanding digital evidence efforts to investigate and prosecute terrorist crimes being committed with computers and through digital media, and reaffirmed the United States commitment to assisting Bangladesh in its efforts.
The first session of the series, entitled Combating Criminal Dark Web Marketplaces during the COVID-19 Pandemic, focused on how criminals use the dark web through anonymous browsers and hidden services to capitalise on the anxiety resulting from the pandemic.
For example, criminals are using the dark web to sell fake test kits, substandard personal protection equipment, fake vaccines and treatment drugs, and even blood allegedly carrying coronavirus antibodies. During the session, participants learned ways to detect and interrupt such reprehensible activities.
The second and third sessions of the series will focus on cryptocurrency illegal to use or possess in Bangladesh as a vehicle for payments at dark web marketplaces.
The second session entitled Introduction to Cryptocurrency and Blockchain Technology will address cryptocurrency and blockchain fundamentals. Deputy Secretary Seikh Golam Mahbub from Bangladeshs Ministry of Law, Justice, and Parliamentary Affairs, is expected to deliver opening remarks at the session.
The third session entitled Advanced Cryptocurrency Tracing Cryptocurrency to Make Cases, will address techniques for de-anonymizing cryptocurrency transactions. Mr Abu Hena Mohd Razee Hassan, the head of the Bangladesh Financial Intelligence Unit (BFIU), is expected to deliver opening remarks at the session.
Conducting the three-part Criminal Influences on the Dark Web and in the Use of Cryptocurrency webinar series is just one of the many ways the United States works together with the Government of Bangladesh to fight terrorism and transnational crime in the region.
Understanding cryptocurrency and how terrorists and transnational criminal networks use it because of its anonymity and decentralised, nationless characteristics, and how to detect and interrupt its usage, will be as essential to the Bangladeshi justice sector as it is to the US justice sector in fighting the financing of terrorism and transnational crimes.
Since 2016, the United States has obligated over $63.5 million cumulatively for counterterrorism assistance in Bangladesh, including this webinar series offered by OPDAT.
- Extrapolating The Future of Cryptocurrency - hackernoon.com - September 19th, 2020
- Ditching Dinars: Will the Balkans Take to Cryptocurrency? - Balkan Insight - September 19th, 2020
- The risks of investing in cryptocurrency and how to overcome them - Telemedia Online - September 19th, 2020
- How is cryptocurrency going to be regulated in the EU? - Kalkine Media - September 19th, 2020
- Russia and Ukraine have Disproportionately High Cryptocurrency Usage with Many Locals Shifting Financial Activity to Digital Assets: Report -... - September 19th, 2020
- Will crypto trading get as regulated as the stocks or FX trading? - Crypto News Flash - September 19th, 2020
- Opinion: Can Uniswaps UNI Break Into the Top 10 Cryptocurrency Token Rankings? - CryptoPotato - September 19th, 2020
- Ditching Dinars: Will The Balkans Take To Cryptocurrency? - Analysis - Eurasia Review - September 19th, 2020
- The Rise and Fall of a Tribal Cryptocurrency - hackernoon.com - September 6th, 2020
- How Will Greece Be Impacted By Cryptocurrency? - GreekCityTimes.com - September 6th, 2020
- Justice Department Seeks To Recover Hacked Cryptocurrency Funds Tied To North Korea - Forbes - September 6th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Prodigy, Joseph PlugWalkJoe O'Connor, Is Helping People Everywhere Master Crypto - AiThority - September 6th, 2020
- Kazakhstan in talks on $700m in cryptocurrency mining projects - Cyprus Mail - September 6th, 2020
- Akon Unveils Major Details of $6 Billion Cryptocurrency City: Real-Life Wakanda - Bitcoin News - September 6th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin drops to $10,460 after a significant rejection and overall weakness - FXStreet - September 6th, 2020
- Brexit in the US: Californian exit plan will use cryptocurrency to give everyone an income - Daily Express - September 6th, 2020
- YFI: Yearn Finance becomes the most expensive cryptocurrency, surges past $27000 - Nairametrics - September 6th, 2020
- Facebook and Twitter need to do more to prevent cryptocurrency scams, says CoinCorner CEO - ResponseSource - September 6th, 2020
- PM Modis Websites Twitter Account Briefly Hacked to Ask for Cryptocurrency - NDTV - September 6th, 2020
- The Cryptocurrency XRP Is Having A Good 6 Weeks - Forbes - August 24th, 2020
- IMF Publishes Cryptocurrency Explainer, Saying It 'Could Be the Next Step in the Evolution of Money' | News - Bitcoin News - August 24th, 2020
- Report finds $50 billion of cryptocurrency moved out of China hinting at capital flight against Beijing rules - CNBC - August 24th, 2020
- Leading Cryptocurrency Exchange PayBito to Add More Altcoins to the Platform - AiThority - August 24th, 2020
- Crypto: Why investors are rushing to DeFi assets - Nairametrics - August 24th, 2020
- Hackers Intercept Cryptocurrency Payments on the Tor Network Through SSL Stripping - CPO Magazine - August 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin price is surging as investors turn back to cryptocurrency - Metro.co.uk - August 20th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency from Coincheck cyberattack to be confiscated - The Japan Times - August 20th, 2020
- Tether retakes top 3 cryptocurrency spot over XRP - Decrypt - August 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin price hits 2020 record as investors turn to cryptocurrency during pandemic - The Independent - August 20th, 2020
- Buy Bitcoin or Gold? Novogratz and Portnoy Prefer the Cryptocurrency - Bloomberg - August 20th, 2020
- Boston Fed Bank explores cryptocurrency with MIT - Boston Herald - August 20th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency And Wills - Today's Wills & Probate - August 20th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency gaining traction in mainstream - Jim Duffy comment - The Scotsman - August 20th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Profitability in 2020: Is It Possible? - Cointelegraph - August 10th, 2020
- Flaws Could Have Exposed Cryptocurrency Exchanges to Hackers - WIRED - August 10th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Cards: An Unnecessary Solution That Should Be Stopped - Cointelegraph - August 10th, 2020
- Wall Street Revealed To Be Edging Out Bitcoin Traders With $1 Million+ Transactions - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency This Week: India Could Ban Virtual Currencies & More - Inc42 Media - August 10th, 2020
- US Congressmen Want IRS to Balance Taxation and Innovation in the Cryptocurrency Space | Taxes - Bitcoin News - August 10th, 2020
- Will This Quantum Computing Breakthrough Save Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency? - The Daily Hodl - August 10th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin, Ripple and Ethereum begin consolidating - FXStreet - August 10th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency: The Currency of the Future - Techtree.com - August 10th, 2020
- Weiss Ratings Places Ethereum Ahead of Bitcoin As Top Cryptocurrency, Says Cardano Has the Best Technology - The Daily Hodl - August 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin surges past 8,400 as investors look for 'safe haven' - The Telegraph - July 29th, 2020
- Blockchain and how it can change construction - Geospatial World - July 29th, 2020
- CEO of Toronto-based cryptocurrency exchange Coinsquare resigns after regulatory probe - CBC.ca - July 29th, 2020
- 2020 will have publicly-traded cryptocurrency firms Barry Silbert - FXStreet - July 29th, 2020
- Chainalysis Introduces New Website, Market Intel, which gives Digital Asset Managers and Regulators Access to Meaningful Insight about Crypto Activity... - July 29th, 2020
- Why it is time to invest in Ethereum - Nairametrics - July 29th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency firm KuCoin 'shocked' by Twitter hacking - The National - July 19th, 2020
- Samsung Added Support for Stellar (XLM) Cryptocurrency to its Blockchain Keystore, Allows Millions of Users to Access the Digital Asset - Crowdfund... - July 19th, 2020
- $30 billion worth of BTCs disappears forever - Nairametrics - July 19th, 2020
- Popular singer, Akon and other leading experts speak on Africa's Crypto - Nairametrics - July 19th, 2020
- Revolut partners with Paxos to bring cryptocurrency trading to the US - TechCrunch - July 17th, 2020
- Paypal Developing Cryptocurrency Capabilities, Letter to European Commission Confirms | News - Bitcoin News - July 17th, 2020
- Apple, Biden, Musk and other high-profile Twitter accounts hacked in crypto scam - TechCrunch - July 17th, 2020
- TCS is ready to mine the new crypto economy, snatches early-mover advantage with Quartz - Economic Times - July 17th, 2020
- These Two Cryptocurrency Marks For In Which Way The Bitcoin Is Headed - Inventiva - July 17th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Cryptocurrency 2020-2027 with Focusing Key players like Nvidia, Xilinx, Intel, Advanced Micro Devices, Bitfury Group, etc - Cole... - July 17th, 2020
- Revolut launches cryptocurrency trading in US - ThePaypers - The Paypers - July 17th, 2020
- Brave New Coin to Develop Cryptocurrency Indices that Toronto Futures Options Swaps Exchange will Use for Cash-Settled Options Trading - Crowdfund... - July 17th, 2020
- Binance Pool Partners with BitRiver - Finance Magnates - July 17th, 2020
- ESET Discovers Trojanized Mac Cryptocurrency App Collecting Wallets and Screenshots - IT News Online - July 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market (COVID 19 Updated) Climbs on Positive Outlook of Excellent Growth by 2027- Advanced Micro Devices, Baikal... - July 17th, 2020
- New York Appellate Court Confirms Attorney Generals Broad Investigative Powers into the Cryptocurrency Industry - JD Supra - July 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market with COVID 19 Impact-Global Industry Report, Size, Demand, Revenue, Top Manufacturers, and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - July 17th, 2020
- Global Cryptocurrency Mining Software Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2024 : Genesis Mining, NiceHash, Awesome Miner, MinerGate,... - July 17th, 2020
- Chainlink (LINK) Becomes the Tesla of Cryptocurrency Whats Next? - Cointelegraph - July 14th, 2020
- As Bitcoin Struggles, This Minor Cryptocurrency Has Soared 1,000% In Just Over 12 Months - Forbes - July 14th, 2020
- Brave New Coin Signs Multi-Year Deal To Power Cryptocurrency Options Trading On Toronto Futures - Scoop.co.nz - July 14th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Intel, CoinBase, BitGo, and Binance - Jewish Life News - July 14th, 2020
- Akon sets out vision for his cryptocurrency and Akon City - Decrypt - July 14th, 2020
- Bank of England eyes groundbreaking new currency as key part of Britains future - Express - July 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Exchanges And The Cryptocurrency World Was Just Rocked - JD Supra - July 11th, 2020
- New York Court Approves Investigation Into $10 Billion Cryptocurrency Created By A Presidential Candidate - Forbes - July 11th, 2020
- Huobi Global Provides Insight on What Is Driving the Institutional Interest in Cryptocurrency Investment - PRNewswire - July 11th, 2020
- What Challenges Affect the Cost of Running a Cryptocurrency Exchange - Cointelegraph - July 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency And Blockchain Technology Market size Reap Excessive Revenues size COVID-19 2022 - Kentucky Journal 24 - July 11th, 2020
- Fast Pace of Cryptocurrency Adoption in Latin America May be due to Dramatic Rise in Smartphone Users, Bitso Executive Reveals - Crowdfund Insider - July 11th, 2020
- NetCents teams up with crypto fintech company to utilize US$1.4 billion credit facility - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - July 11th, 2020