Running a cryptocurrency exchange comes with a lot of considerations. What are the regulations in the country you operate in? Do you have sufficient liquidity? How will you handle security? Adhering to all of these requirements leads to excessive costs involved with setting up and operating these platforms, which means that a high price is often required to get a coin listed on them. This only makes it that much harder for new assets to find a market.
Depending on where you are in the world, the regulations concerning cryptocurrency can be anywhere from strict to completely absent, with changes often coming swiftly after long periods of silence. While local rules can vary greatly, many governments have been moving toward stronger Anti-Money Laundering laws, such as the European Unions 5th Anti-Money Laundering Directive, which is currently forcing some firms in the EU to rethink their location.
In the United States, Representative Paul Gosar, a Republican from Arizona, introduced the Crypto-Currency Act of 2020, which would see unique definitions and oversight of crypto commodities, cryptocurrencies and crypto securities. Moreover, South Korea just passed a law requiring cryptocurrency exchanges to partner with banks to enforce AML policies. Meanwhile, the Reserve Bank of India recently lifted a ban on cryptocurrency that had only been enacted in April of 2018.
The point here is that regulations are subject to change based on geopolitical location and can also quickly evolve within just one jurisdiction. This can be costly to mitigate for exchanges. Paying for professional help just to understand the latest laws can add up, as can employing the teams necessary to collect and verify AML documentation from customers. However, failing to do so could lead to expensive fines or even to the platform being shut down. Unfortunately, these regulations are rarely seen as optional once they are decided upon.
Regulations arent the only obstacles for new exchanges. Issues can arise just in the act of setting up an exchange. There are myriad facets to think about, and all of them can be complex and expensive. Designing an interface, programming the matching engine, integrating AML practices, and working with local banks are just a handful of the concerns a team setting up a new exchange would need to address. All of these would also need a fair amount of time just to be implemented. Then, there is interacting with multiple blockchains in real time, security systems, and the sheer cost of storing and maintaining servers. The amount of time needed just to find quality programmers, build the codebase and debug it can easily take a year or longer if a team is starting from scratch.
Even once that has all been navigated, and the exchange is live, there will still be ongoing and expensive issues to contend with. Take liquidity, for example, which can be a major problem for smaller exchanges as well as smaller markets. This refers to the small number of buyers and sellers available to give traders confidence that they can make the trades they want when they want. Without this, traders will often miss out on opportunities because they cannot enter or exit a position in time, which will be frustrating and hurt business.
In other words, exchanges want to bring in as much traffic as possible and to curate a user experience that pleases everyone. Here, things like security and customer service are front and center. Clients want to know that the exchange is safe from both outside hackers and inside operators and that funds are always available where the exchange says they will be. Inevitably, there will be some mistakes or technical issues. This is why it is important to have support teams to address upset customers, as well as others to fix issues with the platform. Having the capability to respond to all of these matters doesnt come cheap, but without this, a new platform will surely fail.
In addition to the aforementioned issues, it can take a significant amount of capital to open and operate a cryptocurrency exchange. This can lead to platforms having large fees attached to listing fresh assets, which harms new development teams. It also causes much of the market to be channeled through a handful of gatekeepers, namely, the biggest exchanges that have already established themselves.
This is clearly problematic for smaller projects that arent already available across multiple exchanges. If they cannot raise the capital needed to be listed on larger platforms, which can often be in the $100,000 range or higher, then nobody would be able to buy them. Of course, in that case, they wont grow, and potentially sound ideas may get wiped out due to lack of liquidity and exposure. Projects need a way to know that they can create their own market when necessary, but for the most part, the costs may be too steep to launch an exchange platform.
This is where white-label exchanges enter the picture. A white-label exchange uses specially designed software to launch a new platform fast and cheap. A team, for example, could get an exchange running in days instead of months, and for thousands of dollars as opposed to millions. These exchanges generally follow templates but are highly customizable and can negate the need for a company to develop its own proprietary software. Generally, the software should provide everything necessary to get up and running, as well as to be in compliance, though not all exchanges are identical. It is important to know about a few specific options that are available.
In general, exchanges can be centralized or decentralized, and cloud-based or do-it-yourself. A centralized exchange means you will be hosted on another companys servers, which are generally paired with cloud-based models. It could also be hosted on your own servers, but this will also be cost-prohibitive for most. While you wont have as much control, usually the company offering this will handle a great deal of the operations behind the scenes, as well as manage technical issues. Although they offset some costs, subscription fees help to keep the platform running, but the upfront costs of getting started should be relatively cheaper.
DIY exchanges can be either centralized or decentralized, but when it is decentralized, it runs across many servers, and not simply by a single third-party entity. The DIY part means that while the software may be set up to assist you, there will generally not be anyone else operating the exchange behind the scenes. These packages may also come with subscriptions that allow you to access a team of experts for support, but you will be making the final decisions. Such offerings may be less expensive on a monthly basis but can often still have larger, one-time fees associated with being allowed to run the software.
One solution that solves many of the issues faced by teams looking to create new exchanges is the HollaEx Kit, offered by bitHolla. The kit is open-source, free to install and offers the most comprehensive set of tools for anyone to create a new cryptocurrency exchange in minutes. It includes a desktop and mobile user interface, a trade matching engine, and an administrative control panel. You can add any trading pairs you choose, including your own newly created coins or tokens. It is also designed to keep you in compliance with most modern regulations by offering a system that collects relevant AML data from your customers.
The process of setting up a new platform is streamlined, and there are options for getting advanced help from bitHollas team of experts. This makes HollaEx Kit the most attractive option for development teams who need to create new markets for their coins but cant afford to pay the exorbitant fees that come with most exchanges. The bitHolla team has created a product that seeks to be the WordPress of building exchanges. In time, DIY software will likely become the gold standard and will be increasingly integrated into more websites, potentially weakening the draw of centralized services. This is what bitHollas HollaEx Kit is trying to achieve with this software package, which will hopefully make access to building the cryptocurrency market a bit easier for everyone.
Disclaimer. Cointelegraph does not endorse any content or product on this page. While we aim at providing you all important information that we could obtain, readers should do their own research before taking any actions related to the company and carry full responsibility for their decisions, nor this article can be considered as an investment advice.
- Extrapolating The Future of Cryptocurrency - hackernoon.com - September 19th, 2020
- Ditching Dinars: Will the Balkans Take to Cryptocurrency? - Balkan Insight - September 19th, 2020
- The risks of investing in cryptocurrency and how to overcome them - Telemedia Online - September 19th, 2020
- How is cryptocurrency going to be regulated in the EU? - Kalkine Media - September 19th, 2020
- Russia and Ukraine have Disproportionately High Cryptocurrency Usage with Many Locals Shifting Financial Activity to Digital Assets: Report -... - September 19th, 2020
- Will crypto trading get as regulated as the stocks or FX trading? - Crypto News Flash - September 19th, 2020
- Opinion: Can Uniswaps UNI Break Into the Top 10 Cryptocurrency Token Rankings? - CryptoPotato - September 19th, 2020
- Ditching Dinars: Will The Balkans Take To Cryptocurrency? - Analysis - Eurasia Review - September 19th, 2020
- The Rise and Fall of a Tribal Cryptocurrency - hackernoon.com - September 6th, 2020
- How Will Greece Be Impacted By Cryptocurrency? - GreekCityTimes.com - September 6th, 2020
- Justice Department Seeks To Recover Hacked Cryptocurrency Funds Tied To North Korea - Forbes - September 6th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Prodigy, Joseph PlugWalkJoe O'Connor, Is Helping People Everywhere Master Crypto - AiThority - September 6th, 2020
- Kazakhstan in talks on $700m in cryptocurrency mining projects - Cyprus Mail - September 6th, 2020
- Akon Unveils Major Details of $6 Billion Cryptocurrency City: Real-Life Wakanda - Bitcoin News - September 6th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin drops to $10,460 after a significant rejection and overall weakness - FXStreet - September 6th, 2020
- Brexit in the US: Californian exit plan will use cryptocurrency to give everyone an income - Daily Express - September 6th, 2020
- YFI: Yearn Finance becomes the most expensive cryptocurrency, surges past $27000 - Nairametrics - September 6th, 2020
- Facebook and Twitter need to do more to prevent cryptocurrency scams, says CoinCorner CEO - ResponseSource - September 6th, 2020
- PM Modis Websites Twitter Account Briefly Hacked to Ask for Cryptocurrency - NDTV - September 6th, 2020
- The Cryptocurrency XRP Is Having A Good 6 Weeks - Forbes - August 24th, 2020
- IMF Publishes Cryptocurrency Explainer, Saying It 'Could Be the Next Step in the Evolution of Money' | News - Bitcoin News - August 24th, 2020
- Report finds $50 billion of cryptocurrency moved out of China hinting at capital flight against Beijing rules - CNBC - August 24th, 2020
- Leading Cryptocurrency Exchange PayBito to Add More Altcoins to the Platform - AiThority - August 24th, 2020
- Crypto: Why investors are rushing to DeFi assets - Nairametrics - August 24th, 2020
- Hackers Intercept Cryptocurrency Payments on the Tor Network Through SSL Stripping - CPO Magazine - August 24th, 2020
- Bitcoin price is surging as investors turn back to cryptocurrency - Metro.co.uk - August 20th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency from Coincheck cyberattack to be confiscated - The Japan Times - August 20th, 2020
- Tether retakes top 3 cryptocurrency spot over XRP - Decrypt - August 20th, 2020
- Bitcoin price hits 2020 record as investors turn to cryptocurrency during pandemic - The Independent - August 20th, 2020
- Buy Bitcoin or Gold? Novogratz and Portnoy Prefer the Cryptocurrency - Bloomberg - August 20th, 2020
- Boston Fed Bank explores cryptocurrency with MIT - Boston Herald - August 20th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency And Wills - Today's Wills & Probate - August 20th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency gaining traction in mainstream - Jim Duffy comment - The Scotsman - August 20th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Profitability in 2020: Is It Possible? - Cointelegraph - August 10th, 2020
- Flaws Could Have Exposed Cryptocurrency Exchanges to Hackers - WIRED - August 10th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Cards: An Unnecessary Solution That Should Be Stopped - Cointelegraph - August 10th, 2020
- Wall Street Revealed To Be Edging Out Bitcoin Traders With $1 Million+ Transactions - Forbes - August 10th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency This Week: India Could Ban Virtual Currencies & More - Inc42 Media - August 10th, 2020
- US Congressmen Want IRS to Balance Taxation and Innovation in the Cryptocurrency Space | Taxes - Bitcoin News - August 10th, 2020
- Will This Quantum Computing Breakthrough Save Bitcoin and Cryptocurrency? - The Daily Hodl - August 10th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin, Ripple and Ethereum begin consolidating - FXStreet - August 10th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency: The Currency of the Future - Techtree.com - August 10th, 2020
- Weiss Ratings Places Ethereum Ahead of Bitcoin As Top Cryptocurrency, Says Cardano Has the Best Technology - The Daily Hodl - August 10th, 2020
- Bitcoin surges past 8,400 as investors look for 'safe haven' - The Telegraph - July 29th, 2020
- Blockchain and how it can change construction - Geospatial World - July 29th, 2020
- CEO of Toronto-based cryptocurrency exchange Coinsquare resigns after regulatory probe - CBC.ca - July 29th, 2020
- 2020 will have publicly-traded cryptocurrency firms Barry Silbert - FXStreet - July 29th, 2020
- Chainalysis Introduces New Website, Market Intel, which gives Digital Asset Managers and Regulators Access to Meaningful Insight about Crypto Activity... - July 29th, 2020
- Why it is time to invest in Ethereum - Nairametrics - July 29th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency firm KuCoin 'shocked' by Twitter hacking - The National - July 19th, 2020
- Samsung Added Support for Stellar (XLM) Cryptocurrency to its Blockchain Keystore, Allows Millions of Users to Access the Digital Asset - Crowdfund... - July 19th, 2020
- $30 billion worth of BTCs disappears forever - Nairametrics - July 19th, 2020
- Popular singer, Akon and other leading experts speak on Africa's Crypto - Nairametrics - July 19th, 2020
- Revolut partners with Paxos to bring cryptocurrency trading to the US - TechCrunch - July 17th, 2020
- Paypal Developing Cryptocurrency Capabilities, Letter to European Commission Confirms | News - Bitcoin News - July 17th, 2020
- Apple, Biden, Musk and other high-profile Twitter accounts hacked in crypto scam - TechCrunch - July 17th, 2020
- TCS is ready to mine the new crypto economy, snatches early-mover advantage with Quartz - Economic Times - July 17th, 2020
- These Two Cryptocurrency Marks For In Which Way The Bitcoin Is Headed - Inventiva - July 17th, 2020
- US Embassy in BD launches webinar series on dark web and cryptocurrency - The Financial Express - July 17th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Cryptocurrency 2020-2027 with Focusing Key players like Nvidia, Xilinx, Intel, Advanced Micro Devices, Bitfury Group, etc - Cole... - July 17th, 2020
- Revolut launches cryptocurrency trading in US - ThePaypers - The Paypers - July 17th, 2020
- Brave New Coin to Develop Cryptocurrency Indices that Toronto Futures Options Swaps Exchange will Use for Cash-Settled Options Trading - Crowdfund... - July 17th, 2020
- Binance Pool Partners with BitRiver - Finance Magnates - July 17th, 2020
- ESET Discovers Trojanized Mac Cryptocurrency App Collecting Wallets and Screenshots - IT News Online - July 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market (COVID 19 Updated) Climbs on Positive Outlook of Excellent Growth by 2027- Advanced Micro Devices, Baikal... - July 17th, 2020
- New York Appellate Court Confirms Attorney Generals Broad Investigative Powers into the Cryptocurrency Industry - JD Supra - July 17th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market with COVID 19 Impact-Global Industry Report, Size, Demand, Revenue, Top Manufacturers, and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - July 17th, 2020
- Global Cryptocurrency Mining Software Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2024 : Genesis Mining, NiceHash, Awesome Miner, MinerGate,... - July 17th, 2020
- Chainlink (LINK) Becomes the Tesla of Cryptocurrency Whats Next? - Cointelegraph - July 14th, 2020
- As Bitcoin Struggles, This Minor Cryptocurrency Has Soared 1,000% In Just Over 12 Months - Forbes - July 14th, 2020
- Brave New Coin Signs Multi-Year Deal To Power Cryptocurrency Options Trading On Toronto Futures - Scoop.co.nz - July 14th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Intel, CoinBase, BitGo, and Binance - Jewish Life News - July 14th, 2020
- Akon sets out vision for his cryptocurrency and Akon City - Decrypt - July 14th, 2020
- Bank of England eyes groundbreaking new currency as key part of Britains future - Express - July 14th, 2020
- Bitcoin Exchanges And The Cryptocurrency World Was Just Rocked - JD Supra - July 11th, 2020
- New York Court Approves Investigation Into $10 Billion Cryptocurrency Created By A Presidential Candidate - Forbes - July 11th, 2020
- Huobi Global Provides Insight on What Is Driving the Institutional Interest in Cryptocurrency Investment - PRNewswire - July 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency And Blockchain Technology Market size Reap Excessive Revenues size COVID-19 2022 - Kentucky Journal 24 - July 11th, 2020
- Fast Pace of Cryptocurrency Adoption in Latin America May be due to Dramatic Rise in Smartphone Users, Bitso Executive Reveals - Crowdfund Insider - July 11th, 2020
- NetCents teams up with crypto fintech company to utilize US$1.4 billion credit facility - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - July 11th, 2020