Paying with crypto has long been at the center of the discussions of why cryptocurrencies exist and why they are useful.
But despite promising growth and excitement during cryptos bullish phases, payments with crypto still remain a fringe niche at best. Cointelegraph interviewed both merchants and industry leaders to find out why.
As a general rule, crypto payments are used where they make sense. This remains the case for darknet markets, which according to a January 2020 Chainalysis report continue posting new volume highs.
Despite their tiny share of the overall crypto activity, marketplaces selling primarily illegal goods simply cannot use traditional payment mechanisms. Nevertheless, these markets pale in comparison to the traditional cash-based drug trade, whose volume is estimated at approximately $400 billion yearly.
In legal settings, Crypto.coms CEO Kris Marszalek told Cointelegraph what kinds of products see meaningful usage of crypto:
Its still mostly crypto stuff. So we've got Travala, which is the travel merchant that accepts crypto. Ledger.com [...] when we launched on day one we were doing similar volume to Mastercard.
Marszalek cited figures from leading crypto payment providers BitPay and Coinbase Commerce, which report yearly volumes of $1 billion and $200 million, respectively.
The numbers are very small, Marszalek said bluntly.
Indeed, compared to Visas figure of $2 trillion for a single quarter in 2018, crypto payments have a long way to go.
Marszalek identified a series of issues that are preventing crypto payments adoption, with lack of trust one of them:
For the vast majority of the merchants out there, just like for the vast majority of retail banking users out there, crypto is still something unknown, something they still didnt learn to trust.
Peko Wan, the chief ecosystem officer of crypto point of sale provider Pundi X, told Cointelegraph a similar story:
For the mainstream, the general perception toward crypto are complicated to use or risky to own cryptos.
This attitude is reflected by a U.K.-based business owner operating a recreational plane simulator, whom Cointelegraph interviewed. Despite adding the crypto payment option, they said that no one has ever paid using crypto. They further said to be wary of all cryptos as there are so many scams out there.
Even among crypto enthusiasts, payments are a low priority use case. This is best exemplified by the issuance of WBTC for Ethereum decentralized finance, which is now more than double the size of the entire Lightning Network.
Marszalek believes that part of it is the chicken and egg problem, which limits the amount of merchants accepting crypto:
Because if you only have 50 million people in crypto globally, merchants have very little incentive to deploy this, unless they are in a business that is covering a similar demographic as crypto.
One of the biggest problems of crypto payments is the volatility of even the most established assets. Marszalek believes that most people only know about cryptos price swings, which is not really conducive to merchant adoption, he added.
Furthermore, the premise of many crypto payment providers is that merchants can completely avoid exposure to cryptos volatility.
Marszalek believes that stablecoins are super powerful for e-commerce transactions, citing their speed and cost, and sees Crypto.com eventually creating its own stablecoin as part of its vision of a complete ecosystem.
Claudio Barros, the Portugal-based owner of DBR Electronica and one of merchants using Pundi Xs solutions, believes that stablecoins would be a great addition to the ecosystem:
Any improvement in stability of coins will be a benefit, we need a range from pegged coins to super volatile coins to cater for different needs.
Crypto is competing both with established e-money systems like WeChat in China, and novel technologies like Calibra. Marszalek believes that it is better than either of those, both due to better performance and better privacy.
Marszalek, who is based in Hong Kong, personally witnessed how the cashless transition in China left him unable to pay in a Beijing restaurant, as Hong Kong WeChat does not work in mainland China. Either way, WeChats extreme level of surveillance makes him feel uncomfortable.
Wan also pointed to developing countries, noting:
For the past two years, we also observed that in the countries where the local currency has decreased over time [people] are more aware of crypto or interested in having cryptos.
For Crypto.com, payments are just at the beginning of the beginning, Marszalek said. But he strongly believes that it is the companys most important product, which will take our overall platform to a hundred million users in five years.
For crypto in general, the same statements could likely be made as well.
Read the original post:
Why Have Cryptocurrency Payments Failed to Take Off So Far? - Cointelegraph
- Bitcoin Exchanges And The Cryptocurrency World Was Just Rocked - JD Supra - July 11th, 2020
- New York Court Approves Investigation Into $10 Billion Cryptocurrency Created By A Presidential Candidate - Forbes - July 11th, 2020
- Huobi Global Provides Insight on What Is Driving the Institutional Interest in Cryptocurrency Investment - PRNewswire - July 11th, 2020
- What Challenges Affect the Cost of Running a Cryptocurrency Exchange - Cointelegraph - July 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency And Blockchain Technology Market size Reap Excessive Revenues size COVID-19 2022 - Kentucky Journal 24 - July 11th, 2020
- Fast Pace of Cryptocurrency Adoption in Latin America May be due to Dramatic Rise in Smartphone Users, Bitso Executive Reveals - Crowdfund Insider - July 11th, 2020
- NetCents teams up with crypto fintech company to utilize US$1.4 billion credit facility - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - July 11th, 2020
- Explainer: What is 'LBCOIN,' the new Lithuanian state-backed cryptocurrency? - Euronews - July 9th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency News Update: XRP and ADA on fire, BTC lags behind - FXStreet - July 9th, 2020
- Kaspersky Fraud Prevention helps Indacoin halt fraudulent operations with cryptocurrency - CRN.in - July 9th, 2020
- Cardano Becomes 6th Largest Cryptocurrency As Charles Hoskinson Pushes for Unity in Emerging Blockchain Industry - The Daily Hodl - July 9th, 2020
- There are now 13173 BTC millionaires around the world - Nairametrics - July 9th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency as an alternative during times of inflation - ITProPortal - July 8th, 2020
- The lawfulness of cryptocurrency mining in Bulgaria - Lexology - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency-Focused Docuseries Airs to Millions of Viewers via the Discovery Science Channel - Bitcoin News - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Twitter users can send Bitcoin and crypto to each other thanks to a new service - FXStreet - July 8th, 2020
- What are Cryptocurrency Signals and their role in trading - TechGenyz - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Cardano to the moon as Bitcoin, Ethereum and Ripple stall - FXStreet - July 8th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Intel, CoinBase, BitGo, and Binance - Owned - July 8th, 2020
- New Token Listing Alert: Levolution's LEVL Token is Officially Live on Changelly - PRNewswire - July 8th, 2020
- The Profitability of Cryptocurrency Bitcoin Now and in the Future - Chiang Rai Times - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Cardano increased by 15% - The Times Hub - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Cardano grew by 10% - The Times Hub - July 8th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency trading vs. forex: The similarities and differences - AZ Big Media - June 25th, 2020
- Financial Inclusion, Cryptocurrency and the Developing World - Cointelegraph - June 25th, 2020
- Phishing and cryptocurrency scams squashed as one million emails are reported to new anti-scam hotline - ZDNet - June 25th, 2020
- 83% of BTCs addresses are smiling to the Bank - Nairametrics - June 25th, 2020
- Protesters Around The World Are Putting Their Hopes Into Cryptocurrency - Forbes - June 25th, 2020
- The Benefits of Cryptocurrency Trading Crypto Benzinga - Benzinga - June 25th, 2020
- Miners Are Sending Bitcoins to Exchanges Again and That May Be Bearish - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 25th, 2020
- Akon City: $6 Billion Cryptocurrency City Set to Begin Construction | News - Bitcoin News - June 25th, 2020
- UNICEF Cryptocurrency Fund announces its largest investment of startups in developing and emerging economies - UNICEF - June 25th, 2020
- NetCents Technology paves the way for mainstream cryptocurrency adoption by offering daily settlements to merchants - Proactive Investors USA &... - June 25th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Share Analysis and Research Report by 2025 - CueReport - June 25th, 2020
- From Ethereum to Stellar, to Solana: Cryptocurrency Kin Confirms Blockchain Migration - CoinDesk - June 25th, 2020
- Jim Rogers Discusses Bitcoin as Money and Why Governments Will Stop Crypto | News - Bitcoin News - June 25th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Bitmain, NVIDIA, Xilinx, Intel, Advanced Micro Devices, Ripple, Bitfury, Ethereum Foundation, CoinBase,... - June 25th, 2020
- EY Launches First-Of-Its-Kind Cryptocurrency Reporting App - PRNewswire - June 25th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency: Redefining the Future of Finance - Visual Capitalist - June 16th, 2020
- A Cryptocurrency User Paid $2.6M In Transaction Fee To Send $136 Twice - Benzinga - June 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Regulations in times of COVID-19: A boon or bane to India? - Lexology - June 16th, 2020
- Are CryptoCurrencies The Future Of Finance? - Digital Information World - June 16th, 2020
- Nevermind Coinbase Big Brother Is Already Watching Your Coins - Cointelegraph - June 16th, 2020
- Fireblocks integrates with Chainalysis to set a new compliance and security standard for financial institutions and cryptocurrency businesses -... - June 16th, 2020
- Creating A Crypto-Exchange - The Types & The Steps - YourStory - June 16th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin and the rest of cryptos following the global stock market - FXStreet - June 16th, 2020
- Latest Update 2020: Cryptocurrency Market by COVID19 Impact Analysis And Top Manufacturers: ZEB IT Service, Coinsecure, Coinbase, Bitstamp, Litecoin,... - June 16th, 2020
- Latest News On The Cryptocurrency Market | Intel, CoinBase, BitGo, and Binance - WorldsTrend - June 16th, 2020
- Justice Gets 15 Guilty Pleas for International Crime Ring that Laundered Money Through Cryptocurrency Exchanges - Nextgov - June 13th, 2020
- Why Bitcoin Suddenly Dropped 6% on Thursday - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - June 13th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Mining Hardware Market Growth Trends, Key Players, Competitive Strategies and Forecasts to 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 13th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market News: Bitcoin drops to $9,100, the rest of the market follows suit - FXStreet - June 13th, 2020
- Due to COVID-19 Cryptocurrency Market Groundwork 2020: Provides an In-Depth Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Global Market Trends Forecast... - June 13th, 2020
- Binance Launches Quarterly BTC/USD Futures With Up To 125x Leverage - Benzinga - June 13th, 2020
- CashTelex Is Driving Mainstream Crypto Adoption Through Its Brand New Physical Asset-Backed Cryptocurrency CTLX - Yahoo Finance - June 13th, 2020
- Chainalysis Partners with A&D Forensics, Expanding Access to its Cryptocurrency Investigative Tools in Africa - bitcoinke.io - June 13th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Can Become a Medicine to Treat the Challenges Caused by Covid-19 - Coin Idol - June 13th, 2020
- Global Cryptocurrency Mining Market Expected to Reach Highest CAGR by 2025 Top Players: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc, Russian Miner Coin, Halong... - June 13th, 2020
- The emerging world of cryptocurrency - Global Banking And Finance Review - June 13th, 2020
- Someone paid $2.6 million in fees to move $134 worth of crypto and oops - Mashable - June 11th, 2020
- 80% of US and European Institutional Investors Find Cryptocurrency Appealing: Survey - Bitcoin News - June 11th, 2020
- Zilliqa, the fast-rising cryptocurrency that has gained more than 845% since March - Nairametrics - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency misappropriation, hacking, theft and fraud on target for banner year - JD Supra - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Quotes and Forecasts: Last Updates on Cryptocurrencies - FinSMEs - June 11th, 2020
- Europol busts $17 million illegal Netflix site that used cryptocurrency - Decrypt - June 11th, 2020
- Watch | What is crypto-jacking? - The Hindu - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency and Capital Gains: The Sources of Vermont Candidates' Wealth - Seven Days - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market 2020 | Scope of Current and Future Industry 2026 - Surfacing Magazine - June 11th, 2020
- Meet ZCash, the cryptocurrency that protects your privacy better than Bitcoin - Nairametrics - June 11th, 2020
- Riot Blockchain Continues Optimization of Mining Operations - AiThority - June 11th, 2020
- GPU as a Service Market to Witness Remarkable Gains From Cryptocurrency Mining Applications 2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: IOTA rockets to the moon Bitcoin, Ripple and Ethereum in consolidation - FXStreet - June 11th, 2020
- The Bull & The Bear: Dispelling, Confirming Myths and Truths About Crypto - Money and Markets - June 11th, 2020
- Trio of Analysts Bullish on Ethereum (ETH) As Cryptocurrency Shows Robust Fundamentals - The Daily Hodl - June 11th, 2020
- Cryptocurrency Market Update: Bitcoin needs to settle above $10,600 to avoid the sell-off - FXStreet - June 11th, 2020
- Regulating cryptocurrency exchanges - The Indian Express - June 2nd, 2020
- Russia Sort Of Dropped The Hammer On Bitcoin, Crypto - Forbes - June 2nd, 2020
- Cryptocurrency This Week: Indian Crypto Exchanges Witness Surge In New Users, Bitcoin Sees $1000 Spike & More - Inc42 Media - June 2nd, 2020
- SEC Wins Terminating Sanctions Against Cryptocurrency Creator - Law Street Media - June 2nd, 2020
- Bitcoin hodl waves indicate 60% of the cryptocurrency is being hoarded analysts suggest a bull run could be - Business Insider India - June 2nd, 2020