The US-Mexico border wall near Sasabe, Arizona. Ross D. Franklin/Associated Press
Mijente, Just Futures Law, and the No Border Wall Coalition highlight how CBP uses digital tools.
A new report says CBP relies on cameras, drones, and license-plate-reading tech to monitor migrants.
ICE also keeps biometric information like face, iris, fingerprint, and voice data, a report said.
US Customs and Border Protection and Immigration and Customs Enforcement use phone hacking, license-plate scanning, iris recognition, and a host of other surveillance technology to monitor the US border, according to a report released on Thursday by immigrant-rights groups.
"The Deadly Digital Border Wall," compiled by Mijente, Just Futures Law, and the No Border Wall Coalition, doesn't identify every piece of software and hardware the agencies use. One example is Raven, short for Repository for Analytics in a Virtualized Environment, a data-mining and analytics tool ICE is developing. But it does provide an overview of some of the key technologies that ICE and CBP rely on.
Cinthya Rodriguez, a Mijente organizer, said the US border was a "testing ground" for more widespread expansions of government surveillance.
"We remain steadfast in our #NoTechForICE demand and call on the Biden administration to follow up on promises made to immigrant communities with meaningful action," she added.
Here are the top 14 border-surveillance technologies, according to the report:
Automated license-plate recognition
This is a camera system that takes pictures of car license plates as they pass by and logs other relevant information like date, time, and place. Immigration agencies install these cameras at and near borders. CBP pays Motorola Solutions for it, while ICE pays Vigilant Solutions.
Integrated fixed towers
Along the US-Mexico border, CBP operates tall towers designed to spot people from almost 10 miles away. The agency has paid the Israeli military contractor Elbit Systems to install these structures.
Remote video surveillance
These surveillance towers are slightly smaller and movable. General Dynamics won a $177 million contract for installing these in 2013. The project is scheduled to be completed in 2023.
Mobile video-surveillance system
This consists of a telescope, a laser light, a thermal-imaging device, and a video system that's attached to the back of a truck, which itself is equipped with geospatial analytics. Since 2015, Tactical Micro has been providing CBP with dozens of the systems, and PureTech Systems has been providing the in-vehicle geospatial analytics.
Autonomous surveillance towers
CBP uses these towers to scan the landscape for people. Anduril has been providing them since 2018. They come equipped with software designed to distinguish people from animals and store images of human faces.
CBP has used large and small drones to surveil remote areas of land, and even the sea, for evidence of migrants. General Atomics, AeroVironment, FLIR Systems, Lockheed Martin, and Anduril have all provided CBP with surveillance drones.
This software sends files of fingerprint scans, pictures of faces, and iris images - captured by separate pieces of hardware - to both "ICE's case management system for Enforcement and Removal Operations (ERO) and to the DHS-wide IDENT database," the report said. According to the Department Homeland Security, the automated biometric identification system stores "260 million unique identities and processes more than 350,000 biometric transactions per day."
HART biometric database
According to the report, the Homeland Advanced Recognition Technology (HART) System is a database of biometric data such as face images, DNA profiles, iris scans, fingerprint scans, and audio files, called "voice prints," that's hosted on Amazon Web Services and being developed by Northrop Grumman. It will eventually "replace the automated biometric identification system (IDENT) currently used by DHS," the report said.
Biometric facial comparison
This is a face-matching tool that CBP uses at the US border and entry ports like airports. A camera takes a picture of a traveler and compares it with a passport or other form of ID. CBP says it stores comparison photos of US citizens in IDENT for 15 years.
CBP One application
This is a mobile app on which Border Patrol agents can collect biometric and other personal information on migrants and asylum seekers. Data that can be logged in to the app includes phone numbers, employment and family information, marital status, people traveling together, permanent address abroad, and destination in the US, as well as a photograph to be run through CBP biometric records, the report said.
Using services from the Israeli company Cellebrite, Canada's Magnet Forensics, and the US company Grayshift, CBP can search mobile phones and other devices for information about a person. Grayshift and Cellebrite can sometimes unlock phones. US border agents don't need warrants to search people's devices, according to a 2019 court ruling, and border agents searched more than 40,000 devices in 2019, Reuters reported.
Vehicle forensic kits
These are pieces of software designed to extract personal information stored in cars, including call logs and navigation histories. CBP has paid Berla Corp., which partnered with the Swedish mobile-forensics company MSAB, for this service.
Venntel location tracking
Venntel, a subsidiary of the data broker Gravy Analytics, sells licenses to CBP and other DHS entities that allow them to use consumer cellphone data to track migrants and asylum seekers. A DHS document leaked to BuzzFeed News said it was possible to "combine" the consumer location data "with other information and analysis to identify an individual user."
Intelligent computer-assisted detection
ICAD is a system of underground sensors and cameras that "detects the presence or movement of individuals" and sends data back to CBP. Border Patrol agents then seek out the people captured on ICAD, ask these people for their biographic data, and store this information, according to the report.
Read the original article on Business Insider
- Ghostbots, the Quest for Digital Immortality and the Law - JURIST - January 18th, 2022
- Filings buzz in the mining industry: 25% decrease in digitalisation mentions in Q3 of 2021 - Mining Technology - January 18th, 2022
- Datasea Announces Research Partnerships Focus on Acoustic Intelligence and Releases Chinas Inaugural White Paper to Provide Technology Insights and... - January 18th, 2022
- In bad news for US cloud services, Austrian websites use of Google Analytics found to breach GDPR - TechCrunch - January 18th, 2022
- 10 Reasons why Big Data is the Future of India - Analytics Insight - January 18th, 2022
- Greater Texas | Aggieland Credit Union Launches Insurance Agency Through Partnership with Insuritas - Insurance News Net - January 18th, 2022
- The 5 Best Data Analytics Tutorials on YouTube to Watch Right Now - Solutions Review - January 18th, 2022
- What UAE jobs will be in demand for the next 10 years? Find out - Gulf News - January 18th, 2022
- Kansas State University: Your journey to leading in a data-driven world begins here - Study International News - January 10th, 2022
- We trust cameras to record our memories. But they need to understand what life really looks like - ZDNet - January 10th, 2022
- ThingSpeak: Ensuring Coal Mining Safety with Internet of Things Solutions - AZoMining - January 10th, 2022
- The WHO's New Pandemic Center Isn't Ready for Action - Foreign Policy - January 10th, 2022
- HotSpot Therapeutics and Caris Life Sciences Announce Collaboration to Advance Precision Medicine Development for Difficult-to-Drug Therapeutic... - January 10th, 2022
- Europe Mining Vehicle Market growth Possibilities, Analysis and Forecast To 2027 Industrial IT - Industrial IT - January 10th, 2022
- Global Bagging Equipment Market Research and Forecast -2030 | Automated Packaging System, Techno Weigh Systems, Rennco Industrial IT - Industrial IT - January 10th, 2022
- Germany-based Miner Northern Data Reveals it Mined Over 600 BTC in 2021 Q4, Sees it Shares Rise - Yahoo Eurosport UK - January 10th, 2022
- Banknote Market Key Players Change The View Of The Face Of Industry By 2028: De La Rue Plc, Fortress Global Enterprises, and Giesecke & Devrient... - January 10th, 2022
- Senate members say tech regulation is among their agenda items in 2022: CES - MarketWatch - January 8th, 2022
- FarmSense uses sensors and machine learning to bug-proof crops - TechCrunch - January 8th, 2022
- Upcoming Opportunities in Drone Data Services Market: Future Trend and Analysis of Key Segments and Forecast 2021 to 2027 Industrial IT - Industrial... - January 8th, 2022
- How an advanced degree in business analytics can boost your career - WDIV ClickOnDetroit - January 8th, 2022
- Location data & tech platform HERE Technologies partners with Ericsson to provide the mining industry with custom mapping capabilities -... - January 8th, 2022
- Mining Parler and Mapping the Stop the Steal Campaign - Just Security - January 8th, 2022
- Bitcoin mining stocks halve as turbo-charged thesis plays out - The Block Crypto - January 8th, 2022
- N.THING presents their up-to-date hybrid vertical farm at CES 2022 - PRNewswire - January 8th, 2022
- Recent Analysis on Automotive Current Collector for Nickel Metal Hydride Battery Market 2021-2027 Top Trends, Business Opportunity, and Growth... - January 8th, 2022
- Disinformation campaign against former MP Kenny Chiu a disturbing precedent, researchers say - The Globe and Mail - January 8th, 2022
- Stars from ancient cluster found in the Milky Way - Ars Technica - January 8th, 2022
- Data mining applications in healthcare - January 4th, 2022
- Data Mining Techniques: Top 5 to Consider - January 4th, 2022
- Data Mining Process: Models, Process Steps & Challenges ... - January 4th, 2022
- The best AI, analytics, and big data conferences of 2022 - TechBeacon - January 4th, 2022
- Data Mining Tools Market is Flourishing at Healthy CAGR with Growing Demand, Industry Overview and Forecast to 2026 Industrial IT - Industrial IT - January 4th, 2022
- Four challenges for the future of mining and how to overcome them - Mining Technology - January 4th, 2022
- A Fast-Growing Association of Helium Mining on Radio Network With Helium Rent - The Daily Hodl - January 4th, 2022
- What are the Various Types of Blockchain? - Enterprise Security Mag - January 4th, 2022
- Do lakhs of MSMEs no longer want benefits of MSME registration? Heres what govt data suggests - The Financial Express - January 4th, 2022
- New Report of Data Center Colocation Market with Size, Growth Drivers, Market Opportunities, Business Trends and Forecast to 2026 Industrial IT -... - January 4th, 2022
- WISeKey to Invest up to $10 Million Over the Next Two Years - GlobeNewswire - January 4th, 2022
- Infrastructure Investments Need to Focus on Resilience to Generate Maximum Impact - Barron's - January 4th, 2022
- Data Mining: Concepts and Techniques | ScienceDirect - December 22nd, 2021
- Stopping Infection Outbreaks with AI and Big Data - IEEE Spectrum - December 22nd, 2021
- The City Of Abilene And Taylor County To Build $2.4 Billion Data Center, Will Host Bitcoin Mining - Bitcoin Magazine - December 22nd, 2021
- Greenville planning board recommends city code changes that will permit cryptomining operations - Greenville Daily Reflector - December 22nd, 2021
- These will be the 5 most in-demand tech jobs in 2022 - VentureBeat - December 22nd, 2021
- Excessive alcohol consumption is life-threatening, particularly during holidays - Daily Mining Gazette - December 22nd, 2021
- What Kind Of Investors Own Most Of BIT Mining Limited (NYSE:BTCM)? - Simply Wall St - December 22nd, 2021
- Cognitive Security Market Size & Share, Future Growth, Trends Evaluation, Demands, Regional Analysis and Forecast to 2027, by report ocean Market... - December 22nd, 2021
- Mobile Ticketing Market 2021 by Top region Data: Global Industry Trends, Share, Size, Demand, Growth Opportunities, Industry Revenue, Future and... - December 22nd, 2021
- The Cult of Statistical Significanceand the Neglect of Oomph - Walter Bradley Center for Natural and Artificial Intelligence - December 22nd, 2021
- SensOre releases technology and exploration update ahead of the new year - Proactive Investors UK - December 22nd, 2021
- The relationship between objective app engagement and medication adherence in asthma and COPD: a retrospective analysis | Scientific Reports -... - December 22nd, 2021
- Top 10 online courses on Coursera and how they help you upskill - Telegraph India - December 22nd, 2021
- Lundin Mining Corporation's (TSE:LUN) Stock Has Been Sliding But Fundamentals Look Strong: Is The Market Wrong? - Simply Wall St - December 22nd, 2021
- TrustMining Creating New Benchmark in the Cloud Mining Space By CoinQuora - Investing.com - December 22nd, 2021
- Assessing Nami's Two Years at The Helm of FIRS - THISDAY Newspapers - December 22nd, 2021
- 10 Data Science Terms Every Analyst Needs to Know - Built In - December 18th, 2021
- Data Mining or Bust: How New Data Notebooks Enhance Contact Center Intelligence Aggregation and Analysis to Elevate the Customer Experience -... - December 18th, 2021
- Proton pump inhibitors and increased reporting odds of renal neoplasms: FAERS-based adverse event data mining and analysis - DocWire News - December 18th, 2021
- More than Math: Toward a Better Strategy for Advanced Analytics - War on the Rocks - December 18th, 2021
- Outlook on the Big Data and Business Analytics Global Market to 2027 - by Component, Analytics Tool, Deployment Type, Application, Industry Vertical... - December 18th, 2021
- The Rising Demand for Digital Skills in the Food Industry - Food Industry Executive - December 18th, 2021
- You would cream your pants at this huge GPU crypto mining factory - TweakTown - December 18th, 2021
- Mining of the Cryptcurrency - Programming Insider - December 18th, 2021
- Fraud Detection and Prevention Market worth $53.4 billion by 2026 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - Yahoo Finance - December 18th, 2021
- COVID-19, Automation and ESG Expected to Dominate the Credit Scene in 2022 - S&P Global - December 18th, 2021
- Are Institutions Heavily Invested In K92 Mining Inc.'s (TSE:KNT) Shares? - Simply Wall St - December 18th, 2021
- Know 10 Things Companies Will Look for in Data Science Candidates in 2022 - Analytics Insight - December 18th, 2021
- Gold weathers hawkish Fed - MINING.COM - MINING.com - December 18th, 2021
- Visionary Perspective of AI is the Next Big Military Intelligence Strategic Advantage - GlobeNewswire - December 18th, 2021
- Roku update that broke AirPlay & HomeKit has yet to be fixed weeks later - General Discussion Discussions on AppleInsider Forums - AppleInsider - December 18th, 2021
- Microsoft: Log4j exploits extend past crypto mining to outright theft - VentureBeat - December 14th, 2021
- Bluewire Aims to Save Carriers' Reputations - Transport Topics Online - December 14th, 2021
- Top 10 Big Data Conferences to Attend in 2022 - Analytics Insight - December 14th, 2021
- Visionary Perspective of AI is the Next Big Military Intelligence Strategic Advantage - Yahoo Finance UK - December 14th, 2021
- 90% of bitcoin's supply has been mined and 4 other crypto updates you should know - CNBC - December 14th, 2021
- Akoya Biosciences Announces a Groundbreaking Collaboration with PathAI to Combine Spatial Biology with AI-Powered Tools to Facilitate Discovery of... - December 14th, 2021
- SSR Mining Announces Positive Exploration Results at the Amisk Gold Property in Saskatchewan - Yahoo Finance - December 14th, 2021
- Only 10% of the Bitcoin supply left to mine - Cointelegraph - December 14th, 2021
- Anuj Anand: Pushing the Boundaries of the Mining Industry by Leveraging Tech-Based Innovation - Analytics Insight - December 14th, 2021