Billionaire Republican donor Peter Thiel is bankrolling election conspiracists and primary challengers againstRepublicans who backedDonald Trump's impeachment after the Jan.6 Capitol riot, including an ArizonaSenate candidate who is literally on his payroll.
Thiel, the Facebook board member who co-founded PayPal and later the controversial data-mining company Palantir, has long been a top Republican benefactor, donating millions to GOPcandidates and political action committees. But in the wake of Trump's 2020 defeat, Thiel has grown more aggressive in his political investments, dropping more than $20 millionto support two far-right Senate candidates and helping to fund primary challengers against Rep. Liz Cheney, R-Wyo., and other Republicans who called for Trump's removal after the deadly riot.
"He wants to be the patron of the Trump wing of the Republican Party," said Max Chafkin, a Bloomberg reporter and author of "The Contrarian: Peter Thiel and Silicon Valley's Pursuit of Power." Thiel is focused on building out "Trumpism after Trump," Chafkin said in an interview with Salon, describing the tech billionaire as "in many ways further to the right than Trump."
Thiel, who donated $1.25 million to back Trump in 2016, has made an even bigger splash this election cycle with a $10 million donation to back his protgBlake Masters, who plans to run for the Republican nomination in next year'sArizona Senate election. Masters is uniquely connected to Thiel, serving as the chiefoperating officer of Thiel Capital, the billionaire's venture capital fund, and co-writing Thiel's book "Zero to One."
While candidates like Virginia's Glenn Youngkinhave stepped away from their corporate careers to run for office, Masters appears to still be on Thiel's payroll. He earned $775,000 from Thiel Capital last year and received more than $340,000 in royalty payments from the sales of "Zero to One," according to a personal finance disclosurethat was first reported by Insider. Masters did not respond to questions from Salon about whether he still collectsa salary from Thiel'scompany, but still lists himself as the firm's COO on his LinkedIn page.
Thiel last month hosted a fundraiserfor Masters'campaign at his Los Angeles home that cost up to $5,800 to attend.
Saving Arizona PAC, the Thiel-funded effort that has already spent nearly $1.7 millionin Arizona, has launched ads attacking state Attorney General Mark Brnovich, Masters' principal GOPopponent, for rejecting Trump's lie that voter fraud cost him the election.
"Mark Brnovich says President Trump is wrong on voter fraud. Really? Brnovich failed to convene a grand jury, certified Biden as president. Now he's nowhere to be found, making excuses instead of standing with our president," the ad says.
Brnovich was one of multiple state officials, including Republican Gov. Doug Ducey, who certified the election results. The addoes not explainwhy Brnovich should have convened a grand jury. There has been no evidence of widespread fraud in Arizona or any other state,and courts haverepeatedly rejectedchallenges by Trump allies seeking to overturn Biden's win.
The PAC also blasted Brnovich on Twitter, arguing that he is "nowhere to be found in the fight against voter fraud."
Masters is the "only candidate who will demand fair and transparent elections," the PAC said.
The Saving Arizona PAC recently made yet another six-figure ad buy attacking Brnovich for not being Trumpy enough.
Masters, who was endorsedby Trump's former national security adviser Robert O'Brien this week, has walked a fine line whendiscussing the presidential election. He has stoppedshort of claiming that the election was stolen outright, but has boostedconspiracy theories on Twitter about "dead people voting,"Dominion voting machinesandfears about election "integrity,"echoing a trope employed by numerous other Republicanswho have tried to distance themselves from the voter fraud lie while still trying to appease Trump loyalists.
After the dubious so-called auditin Arizona's Maricopa County actually showed Biden gaining a handful of votes compared to the official total, Trump and other Republicans began to claimthat the audit had turned up serious questions about the election administration. In fact, Republican audit officials testified to Congress last week that the county held a "free, fair and accurate election."Masters, however, sided with TrumpWorld throughout the process, teasingthe release of the audit report, echoing Trump's claimsabout "fake" polls and "anti-Trump disinformation," and making the evidence-proofargumentthat "no matter what the audit finds, we know this election wasn't fair."
Masters later demanded action from Brnovich in response to the audit, though he did not say exactly what he wanted the state attorney general to do.
"The AZ audit findings have been referred to the Attorney General," Masters tweeted. "The ball is now in Brnovich's court. He has a track record of doing the bare minimum, so let's pay attention, and we'll see if the Republican establishment is serious about election integrity."
Masters also demanded that Ducey immediately "call a special session" to impose new voting restrictions, even though Ducey had already signed a billto restrict mail ballots and purge the state's popular early voting list in the spring.
"Get the legislature back to work so they can tighten up our election laws," Masters tweeted. "Starting with universal voter ID for every kind of ballot nothing less is acceptable."
Masters did not respond to questions from Salon about whether he believes Biden legitimately won Arizona, or what he would like Brnovich to do in response to the "audit" results.
The attacks on Brnovich come as Masters seeks to close a massive early polling deficit against the attorney general. A Republican pollconducted last month showed Brnovich leading Masters, by 41% to 6%. Another September poll from OH Predictive Insightsalso showed Masters polling at just 6% and performing the worst of any candidate against incumbent Sen. Mark Kelly, a Democrat.
"It's clear Blake Masters is threatened by AG Brnovich," Joanna Duka, a spokeswoman for Brnovich, said in a statement to Salon.
Thiel has also dropped another $10 million to back J.D. Vance, another longtime business associate and the author of "Hillbilly Elegy," in Ohio's Senate race. As with Masters, Thiel has a long business relationship with Vance, who got his start in venture capital working at Thiel's Mithril Capital Management, which is named after a fictional metal in "The Lord of the Rings." Vance later got an investmentfrom Thiel to help start his own venture fund, Narya Capital, which is named after one of the Elvenrings in J.R.R. Tolkien's fantasy classic.Both men recently investedin the right-wing video platform Rumble.
Masters and Vance are "kind of extensions of Peter Thiel," Chafkin said, describing them as "hardcore ideologues" whoare more disciplined and coherent than Trump, but largely focused on the same issues.
Vance has tried to stay away from election conspiracies but defended rioters at the Jan.6 Capitol attack as mostly "super peaceful."Thiel's allies have generally avoided directly claiming that the 2020was rigged, but have continued to raise irrelevant or baseless questions about the result.
"They're trying to walk a line and come up with some kind of intellectually respectable version of The Big Lie," Chafkin said, adding that the Thiel-backed candidates have tried to "cozy up" to hardcore Trump backers and "be perceived as friendly to them."
Thiel himself has also cultivated relationships in TrumpWorld. He developed close ties to former Trump campaign chief and White House strategist Steve Bannon, whom Chafkin described as Thiel's "ideological" ally who shares his views on the "deep state." Thiel routedhis big 2016 donation to back Trump through the super PAC controlled by Rebekah Mercer, also a major donor to far-right Republicans.Mercer was a longtime patron of Bannon and his projects and has joined Thiel in funding Vance's Ohio campaign. Mercer has spent millionsto support some of the leading proponents of Trump's election lies, as well aselection objectors who fueled the Capitol riot.
More recently, Thiel met with Trump at the ex-president's Bedminster, New Jersey, resort and began funding candidates in support of the former president's revenge tour against pro-impeachment Republicans, according to Politico.
Thiel donated the maximum $5,800 to Harriet Hageman, the Trump-backed primary challenger to Rep. Liz Cheney, R-Wyo. Hageman hascontinuedto claimthat there are "legitimate questions about what happened during the 2020 election" and supported the Arizona "audit."
Thiel has also donated to Joe Kent, the Trump-backed primary challenger to Rep. Jaime Herrera Beutler, R-Wash., who also voted to impeach Trump after the riot. Kent spokeat the recent "Justice for J6" rally in Washington in support of the Capitol rioters charged in the attack. He vowedto lead a "full congressional inquiry" into the 2020 election if elected. Kent was among a group of Trump supporters who filed lawsuitslast month in Washington state accusing multiple counties of "flipping votes" and calling for a "full forensic audit" of the election.
Thiel's funding for candidates pushing election lies is "totally consistent" with his embrace of Trumpism, Chafkin said. Though Thiel ultimately decided not to donate to Trump in 2020 out of frustration about the former president's "perceived competence," the billionaire has sought candidates who will pursueTrump's hardline policies on immigration, relations with China, regulation of tech companies, "political correctness"and globalization.
On all those issues, Thiel "basically agrees" with Trump, Chafkin said. "He wants to be involved in this movement and what you're seeing now is he'smaking that play.He's trying to be the main patron to his part of the Republican Party."
- Data Mining in Business Analytics - Online College | WGU - December 3rd, 2021
- Data Mining - Applications & Trends - December 3rd, 2021
- 3 Cryptomining Stocks to Profit From The Bitcoin Boom - Motley Fool - December 3rd, 2021
- Adventus Mining Announces Commencement of Drilling on Rathkeale Property and Initial Results of Kingscourt Drill Program Under The South32 Earn-In... - December 3rd, 2021
- The Ins and Outs of Privacy in Clinical Trials for Patients With Cancer - Curetoday.com - December 3rd, 2021
- Preserve Data History In The Cloud -- Or Lose It - ITPro Today - December 3rd, 2021
- Top Ten: Disruptive supply chain technologies - Supply Chain Digital - The Procurement & Supply Chain Platform - December 3rd, 2021
- Shares of companies in the metals and mining space are trading lower as omicron concerns and worse-than-expected US job growth data weigh on economic... - December 3rd, 2021
- Agency suffered data breach in September on mining permit applications - ABC 36 News - WTVQ - November 29th, 2021
- Value of data mining key in propelling Ghana's digitisation efforts Expert - GhanaWeb - November 29th, 2021
- Data Shows a Myriad of Crypto Networks Are More Profitable to Mine Than Bitcoin Mining Bitcoin News - Bitcoin News - November 29th, 2021
- No Credit Score? No Problem! Just Hand Over More Data. - The New York Times - November 29th, 2021
- Will Palantir Be a Trillion-Dollar Stock by 2040? - The Motley Fool - November 29th, 2021
- HotSpot Therapeutics Closes $100M Series C to Advance First-in-Class Allosteric Drug Discovery Platform to the Clinic - PRNewswire - November 29th, 2021
- Bigger contracts and crypto mining ignite DC Twos FY22 vision - Stockhead - November 29th, 2021
- Deswik to aid deep underground mining decision making with MineOps buy - International Mining - November 29th, 2021
- The GDPR and NZ: Why this relationship is so important to the future of data privacy in Aotearoa - SecurityBrief New Zealand - November 29th, 2021
- RANKED: World's top 10 biggest mines by tonnes of ore mined - MINING.COM - MINING.com - November 29th, 2021
- MMPWW announces exclusive tech partnership with Aqilliz in MENA - AMEinfo - November 29th, 2021
- Travis Scott's partnership with BetterHelp: The dark truth - The Mancunion - November 29th, 2021
- Now Isnt the Time to Give Users Control of Their Data - WIRED - November 25th, 2021
- What is The Role of Chief Data Officers (CDOs) - TechFunnel - November 25th, 2021
- Top 10 AI Jobs Available in Government Agencies Across the World - Analytics Insight - November 25th, 2021
- The Crucial Role Of Wild Horses In Bitcoin Mining - Bitcoin Magazine - November 25th, 2021
- Sprout Health Solutions Presents Data on Social Media Listening and the Patient Experience at ISPOR EU 2021 - PRNewswire - November 25th, 2021
- Allorion Debuts with $40 Million to Enhance and Discover Precision Targets - BioSpace - November 25th, 2021
- Needed: Discoveries to feed green economy - www.mining-journal.com - November 25th, 2021
- Lore has it that there's a lull leading up to Santa Claus rallies here's what the statistics show - MarketWatch - November 25th, 2021
- Who Says AI Is Not For Women? Here Are 6 Women Leading AI Field In India - SheThePeople - November 25th, 2021
- No-Code Analytics The Best Introduction to Data Science - Analytics Insight - November 25th, 2021
- Manchin and Cortez Masto kill chances of reforming outdated hardrock mining law - Grist - November 25th, 2021
- Seeing the Future: How to Use Predictive Analytics in Your Business - Silicon UK - November 25th, 2021
- Bullish: Analysts Just Made A Significant Upgrade To Their Evolution Mining Limited (ASX:EVN) Forecasts - Simply Wall St - November 25th, 2021
- New legal framework evolving on tech, internet; data protection bill step towards that: MoS IT - ETCIO.com - November 25th, 2021
- Data-Mining to Serve Your Patient, Your Team and Your Business Better - InvisionMag - November 13th, 2021
- 3 Reasons to Buy Palantir, And 1 Reason To Sell - The Motley Fool - November 13th, 2021
- Top Pros and Cons of AI in Cloud Computing for You to Know - Analytics Insight - November 13th, 2021
- Neural Network Software Market Research Report by Component, by Type, by Vertical, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 - Cumulative Impact of COVID-19... - November 13th, 2021
- Southern Cities Rank High on List of Places With Highest Rates of Car Accidents - Insurance Journal - November 13th, 2021
- Comets Find Right Ingredients, Win Business Hall of Fame Scholarships - University of Texas at Dallas - November 13th, 2021
- Letter: Insurance industry is exploitative - The Columbian - November 13th, 2021
- To Give Away your Life Savings, Press One - Global Banking And Finance Review - November 13th, 2021
- SOS Reports Progress on the Construction of Its North American Super-Computing and Hosting Center - PRNewswire - November 13th, 2021
- These 4 Measures Indicate That Hut 8 Mining (TSE:HUT) Is Using Debt Reasonably Well - Simply Wall St - November 13th, 2021
- AdGuard is an ad blocker, a VPN and a security app in one -- and this deal makes it a steal! - Cult of Mac - November 13th, 2021
- Reduced Data Accuracy Helps Save Energy Tampere University, Finland, Is Coordinating a Project That Trains Young Scientists From Around the World to... - November 13th, 2021
- Data Mining Tools Market increasing demand with Industry Professionals: IBM, SAS Institute, Oracle The Host - The Host - November 1st, 2021
- COVID19 patient diagnosis and treatment data mining algorithm based on association rules - Wiley - November 1st, 2021
- Data Mining Software Market 2021 Detailed Analysis of top Ventures with Regional Outlook | Key Companies: IBM, RapidMiner, GMDH, SAS Institute,... - November 1st, 2021
- Top Roles and Skills needed to build a Data Science Team - APN News - November 1st, 2021
- Here are the 14 most important pieces of surveillance technology that make up the US 'digital border wall,' according to immigrant-rights groups -... - November 1st, 2021
- Data Preprocessing in Data Mining - GeeksforGeeks - October 28th, 2021
- Miners Are The Optimal Buyers: The Data Behind Bitcoin-Led Decarbonization In Texas - Bitcoin Magazine - October 28th, 2021
- The Benefits of Data Analytics in Clinical Reporting - Diagnostic and Interventional Cardiology - October 28th, 2021
- Ex-WNBA player Alana Beard joins effort to bring expansion team to Oakland - ESPN - October 28th, 2021
- Top Surveillance Technology That Makes up the US 'Digital Border Wall' - Business Insider - October 28th, 2021
- CORRECTING and REPLACING OLB Group Announces Total of 600 Antminer S19j Pro Cryptocurrency Asic Miners in Operation - Yahoo Finance - October 28th, 2021
- INTRUSION to Announce Third Quarter 2021 Financial Results on Thursday, November 11, 2021 - Yahoo Finance - October 28th, 2021
- How to Use App Privacy Report in the iOS 15.2 Beta - Mac Rumors - October 28th, 2021
- What are task and process mining in AI? - Ericsson - October 28th, 2021
- A glimpse into the terrifying world of social media manipulation - The Business Standard - October 28th, 2021
- NSF Awards Grant to Study Use of AI to Improve Sustainable Energy Infrastructure Network - University of Arkansas Newswire - October 28th, 2021
- Australia plans to boost mineral discovery with new drill core research lab - MINING.COM - MINING.com - October 28th, 2021
- Here are the 14 most important pieces of surveillance technology that make up the US digital border wall, according to immigrant-rights groups - News... - October 28th, 2021
- KDD 2021 Celebrates Winning Teams of 25th Annual KDD Cup - KCRG - October 20th, 2021
- The Full Picture, the Right Picture High-Resolution Mass Spectrometry for Metabolomic Profiling - Technology Networks - October 20th, 2021
- Anacortes Mining acquires Tres Cruces surface rights and drill data as option agreements with MBM terminate - Proactive Investors USA - October 20th, 2021
- Hackers mining third-party apps to steal your health data - Greater Kashmir - October 20th, 2021
- Top 10 Business Intelligence Books to Read 2021 - Analytics Insight - October 20th, 2021
- FAU Engineering One of the Top Three Fastest Improving Colleges in the U.S. - Newswise - October 20th, 2021
- Integrated Predictive Safety Systems: Highlighting the Importance of Safety in Mining - AZoMining - October 15th, 2021
- University At Buffalo - News Center: Data Mining The Past - Patch.com - October 15th, 2021
- Eni S p A : selects the best startups to develop innovative solutions in Communications Data Mining - Marketscreener.com - October 15th, 2021
- R&D Solutions for Pharma and Medical Technology - Knovel - October 15th, 2021
- Windfall Geotek Completes Soil Program and 43-101 on Sobeski Lake Property in the Red Lake Area - Junior Mining Network - October 15th, 2021
- SkyChain Signed Agreement to Secure Land and Power... | INN - Investing News Network - October 15th, 2021
- Data mining the past - UB News Center - October 14th, 2021
- How Financial Institutions Are Trying To Make Sense Of ESG Data - Todayuknews - Todayuknews - October 14th, 2021
- Decarbonisation and sector disclosure for metals & mining - ING Think - October 14th, 2021
- Xin Tian, Esq., Recognized for Excellence in Patent Law and Scientific Research - PRNewswire - October 14th, 2021