94 percent of organisations now have a policy that requires encryption of all data held on removable media
MANCHESTER, UK 14 May, 2020 Apricorn, the leading manufacturer of software-free, 256-bit AES XTS hardware-encrypted USB drives today announced findings of its annual survey into the attitudes towards data breaches and the implementation of encryption technology within organisations. Almost half (43 per cent) of surveyed IT decision makers said that their organisation has been reported to the ICO since the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) came into effect. The survey also highlighted an increase in the implementation of encryption and endpoint control since GDPR was enforced.
A quarter of respondents (25%) said they had notified the ICO of a breach or potential breach within their organisation, whilst 21 per cent have had a breach or potential breach reported by someone else. Over 160,000 breach notifications have been made to data supervisory authorities in the European Economic Area (EEA) since GDPR came into play, according to a data breach survey carried out by law firm DLA Piper, up to the end of January 2020.
The fact that so many businesses are now choosing to notify of a potential breach is positive, but likely precautionary to avoid falling foul of the requirements and any significant financial or reputational ramifications, commented Jon Fielding, Managing Director EMEA, Apricorn.
However, these concerns are being mitigated by an increase in encryption and endpoint control. Nearly all respondents (94%) say their organisation has a policy that requires encryption of all data held on removable media. Of those that encrypt all data held on removable media, more than half (57%) hardware encrypt all information as standard on all removable media.
Of those with an information security strategy that covers employees use of their own IT equipment for mobile/remote working, Forty two per cent said they permitted only corporate IT provisioned/approved devices, and have strict security measures in place to enforce this with endpoint control, which shows a huge rise compared with 12 per cent in 2019, highlighting a positive shift in focus towards endpoint control.
When questioned on whether they had seen an increase in the implementation of encryption in their organisation since GDPR was enforced, nearly four in ten (39%) have noticed an increase, and their organisation now requires all data to be encrypted as standard, whether it's at rest or in transit. This is a positive step given the number of employees now working remotely as a result of the current pandemic.
Whilst many businesses are currently encrypting devices, they also highlighted that they have no further plans to expand encryption on USB sticks (38%), laptops (32%), desktops (37%), mobiles (31%) and portable hard drives (40%). This is worrying given the risks posed to corporate data being held on unencrypted devices. Businesses should allow only corporately approved, hardware encrypted devices that are whitelisted on the IT infrastructure, and block access to all non-approved media through end point control.
The wide variety of options for encryption deployment can be intimidating, and companies havent been using it effectively. Organisations are now beginning to recognise the importance of endpoint hardware encryption and the need to implement and enforce policies to protect corporate data, ensure compliance with data protection regulations, and reduce the potential for a data breach, points out Fielding.
When asked about the impact of a data breach on their organisation, more than a third (35%) of respondents cited that damage to the brand and reputation of the business is their main concern. This was followed by concerns over financial costs for incident response and clean-up (28%), loss of customer trust (18%) and financial costs resulting from a fine (12%).
Focusing on how best to manage and respond to a potential breach in cooperation with data protection authorities is essential. Being able to establish a cause and remediate quickly will put businesses in good stead for breach recovery, added Fielding.
Employees unintentionally putting data at risk remains the leading cause (33%) of a data breach, with lost or misplaced devices now the second biggest cause (24%), and third parties mishandling corporate information not far behind (23%). This correlates with the fact that despite more than a third (35%) of the survey respondents having complete visibility of which devices employees are using to access the corporate network, they are not certain that all are secure.
Fielding said its clear that GDPR is finally having some impact, but businesses need to recognise that compliance is ongoing and they should continue to enforce and update all policies. Equally, more needs to be done in terms of employee awareness and education if they want to reduce the risk of a data breach, particularly given the increase in data moving beyond the corporate network.
About the surveyThe research was conducted between 25.03.2020 - 27.03.2020, by Censuswide. Respondents were 100 UK IT decision makers (CIOs, Heads of IT, IT directors, Senior IT managers etc.) from enterprise organisations (1000+ employees) within the financial services, IT, manufacturing, business and professional services sectors. Censuswide abides by and employs members of the Market Research Society which is based on the ESOMAR principles.
About Apricorn Headquartered in Poway, California, Apricorn provides secure storage innovations to the most prominent companies in the categories of finance, healthcare, education, and government throughout North America, Canada and EMEA. Apricorn products have become the trusted standard for a myriad of data security strategies worldwide. Founded in 1983, numerous award-winning products have been developed under the Apricorn brand as well as for a number of leading computer manufacturers on an OEM basis.
Media contactAlicia BroadestOrigin Commst. 07729 102 956e. email@example.com
- Regulated encryption isnt possible heres what is - POLITICO Europe - August 3rd, 2021
- Work from home and cloud are prompting hard looks at security - GCN.com - August 3rd, 2021
- Atakama and Spirion to announce their strategic partnership at Black Hat 2021 - PRNewswire - August 3rd, 2021
- Spirion and Atakama Join Forces at Black Hat 2021 Conference - MarTech Series - August 3rd, 2021
- Looking for ways to password protect a file or folder on Windows 11? Here's how you can do it - India Today - August 3rd, 2021
- XSOC CORP's SOCKET Receives UL- 2900 Certification for Securing Encrypted Workflows of Today's Enterprise and Industrial Connected Devices - Business... - August 3rd, 2021
- Apple @ Work: FileVault 2 is so good, theres no reason for IT departments not to use it - 9to5Mac - August 3rd, 2021
- The Future of Industrial Security - Security Today - August 3rd, 2021
- Global Encryption Software System Market Size And Forecast to 2021 2027 analysis with key players : IBM, Microsoft, Sophos ltd, Gemalto, Net App Inc,... - August 3rd, 2021
- Cloud Encryption Software Market Size 2021 Industry Demand, Share, Global Trend, Industry News, Business Growth, Top Key Players Update, Business... - August 3rd, 2021
- Global E-mail Encryption Market Dynamics Analysis, Production, Supply and Demand, Covered in the Latest Research 2021-2026 - Digital Journal - August 3rd, 2021
- Insights on the Optical Encryption Global Market to 2027 - Featuring Arista Networks, Broadcom and CenturyLink Among Others - ResearchAndMarkets.com -... - July 8th, 2021
- Jupiter Project Presents 'Metis Messenger', the Decentralized Chat Application That Syncs Across All Platforms - GlobeNewswire - July 8th, 2021
- If full encryption of police radios necessary? Berkeley may allow public to hear one of their channels - The Daily Post - July 2nd, 2021
- Leveraging Encryption Keys to Better Secure the Federal Cloud - Nextgov - July 2nd, 2021
- Benefits of Adopting Data Encryption in Businesses - CIOReview - July 2nd, 2021
- Encryption can be lucrative, but with environmental costs - Floridanewstimes.com - July 2nd, 2021
- UK Government has suggested messaging apps to avoid using end-to-end encryption on the accounts of children because that can be harmful to them -... - July 2nd, 2021
- Diavol ransomware linked to Trickbot botnet - IT PRO - July 2nd, 2021
- Got data? The biggest-ever portable encrypted SSD just came out - Cult of Mac - July 2nd, 2021
- Application-Level Encryption Market is expected to expand at a CAGR of 25% from 2020 to 2030 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - July 2nd, 2021
- Encryption Key Management Market to Eyewitness Massive Growth by 2028: Ciphercloud, Gemalto, Google The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - July 2nd, 2021
- Data storage: the importance of protecting the device and not just the network - IT-Online - July 2nd, 2021
- Global E-mail Encryption Market 2021 Demands To Sustain in Future Industry Size, Growth, Revenue, Global Statistics and Forecast to 2030 The Manomet... - July 2nd, 2021
- Hardware Encryption Market 2021 Industry Analysis by Manufacturers, End-User, Type, Application, Regions and Forecast to 2027 The Manomet Current -... - July 2nd, 2021
- Former Anonymous and Lulzsec hacker discusses his criminal past and gives his top tips for avoiding ransomware - Texasnewstoday.com - July 2nd, 2021
- Why Inspecting Encrypted Traffic Is A Must - Security Boulevard - June 25th, 2021
- Researchers: 2G Connection Encryption Deliberately Weakened To Comply With Cryptowar Export Restrictions - Techdirt - June 25th, 2021
- The Ultimate Guide to Key Management Systems - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - June 25th, 2021
- Will regulation adapt to encryption, or will encryption adapt to regulation?Expert answers - QNT - June 25th, 2021
- China 'all in' on its own encryption brand - BollyInside - June 25th, 2021
- How the FBI Is Trying to Break Encryption Without Actually Breaking Encryption - Gizmodo - June 19th, 2021
- Vergecast: Windows 11 leaks, RCS encryption, and this week in antitrust - The Verge - June 19th, 2021
- WhatsApp vs govt: Can traceability and encryption co-exist? - Business Today - June 19th, 2021
- Finding the balance in encryption and crime-fighting Monash Lens - Monash Lens - June 19th, 2021
- Drug bust was a huge coup - but the surveillance should trouble free citizens - Stuff.co.nz - June 19th, 2021
- Google open-sources tools to bring fully homomorphic encryption into the mainstream - The Daily Swig - June 16th, 2021
- Google enables end-to-end encryption for Androids default SMS/RCS app - Ars Technica - June 16th, 2021
- Bitcoin and Encryption: A Race Between Criminals and the F.B.I. - The New York Times - June 16th, 2021
- We've been shown time and again that strong encryption puts crims behind bars, so why do politicos hate it? - The Register - June 16th, 2021
- How To Enable End-To-End Encryption In Zoom On Windows 10 - Wccftech - June 16th, 2021
- WhatsApp to Enable Multi-Device Support With End-to-End Encryption: Report - Gadgets 360 - June 16th, 2021
- How to Encrypt Files, Folders and Drives on Windows 10 ... - June 12th, 2021
- Device encryption in Windows 10 - support.microsoft.com - June 12th, 2021
- Countering disinformation and protecting democratic communication on encrypted messaging applications - Brookings Institution - June 12th, 2021
- 2021 Hong Kong Encryption Trends: As cyber threats grow, Hong Kong outpaces the world in enterprise encrypt... - Security Boulevard - June 12th, 2021
- FBI, Australian Police Ran A Backdoored Encrypted Chat Service For Three Years - Techdirt - June 12th, 2021
- New beta reveals more info about upcoming end-to-end encrypted backups in WhatsApp - TechRadar - June 12th, 2021
- Hacking, encryption and threat of attack: What the dead Israeli intel officer did before he was drafted - Haaretz - June 12th, 2021
- Fitting Into IoT Security with a New Open-Source Encryption Standard - IoT For All - June 12th, 2021
- Raids worldwide as police reveal vast hack of criminal encryption platform - FRANCE 24 - June 12th, 2021
- Social applications are the next big trend in encryption - QNT - June 6th, 2021
- Microsoft Teams: Here's when your calls will get end-to-end encryption - TechRepublic - June 4th, 2021
- Survey reveals how businesses have gotten more serious towards encrypting their data - Digital Information World - June 4th, 2021
- Microsoft Teams calls are getting end-to-end encryption in July - BleepingComputer - June 4th, 2021
- Data encryption cyber security software company DAtAnchor, Inc. offers affordable CMMC v1.02 compliance for Office, CAD, video, and audio files. Ohio... - June 4th, 2021
- Only 17% of organizations encrypt at least half of their sensitive cloud data - SC Magazine - June 4th, 2021
- Database Encryption Market 2021 Present Scenario on Growth Analysis and High Demand to 2030 KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - KSU | The Sentinel... - June 4th, 2021
- Cloud Encryption Gateways Market is Booming Worldwide | Global Analysis and Forecasts 2020-2026 | Key Players are Google, Ciphercloud, Perspecsys,... - June 4th, 2021
- End-to-End Encryption: Important Pros and Cons - CIO Insight - June 2nd, 2021
- 5 Trends Shaping the Future of Encryption - Cyber Security Hub - June 2nd, 2021
- Duality Technologies and Intel Collaborate to Deliver Optimized Homomorphic Encryption Applications - PRNewswire - June 2nd, 2021
- Top Benefits that Help in Boosting the Growth of the Email Encryption Market - TechBullion - June 2nd, 2021
- Baffle Brings the Holy Grail of Encryption to Amazon RDS - Yahoo Finance - June 2nd, 2021
- Why Indian Courts Should Reject Traceability Obligations - EFF - June 2nd, 2021
- Ending encryption: On enforcing traceability on popular messaging apps - The Hindu - June 2nd, 2021
- E-mail Encryption Market is Anticipated to Gain Moderate CAGR by 2027 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - June 2nd, 2021
- Expert Stakeholder Consultation Report on the Indian Encryption Debate - Business Wire India - June 2nd, 2021
- Homomorphic Encryption Market Proceeds To Witness Huge Upswing Over Assessment Period by 2030 | Microsoft (US), IBM Corporation (US), Galois Inc (US) ... - June 2nd, 2021
- Rings 1080p Video Doorbell Pro with end-to-end encryption requires no batteries at a low of $120 - 9to5Toys - June 2nd, 2021
- More Businesses Adopting Encryption in the Last Year - Softpedia News - June 2nd, 2021
- Quantum computers have the potential to crack todays encrypted messages.Its a problem - Illinoisnewstoday.com - May 30th, 2021
- Ravi Shankar Prasad: Govt not in favour of breaking WhatsApps encryption, users have full right to it - The Indian Express - May 30th, 2021
- Data Encryption, Zero Trust A Practical Review of Bidens Executive Order on Improving the Nations Cybersecurity - Security Boulevard - May 30th, 2021
- WhatsApp challenges govt: Breaking end-to-end encryption will lead to security issues but timing of petition circumspect - Free Press Journal - May 30th, 2021
- The Indian Government Wants to Break Messaging Encryption, WhatsApp's Suing - Gizmodo - May 30th, 2021
- Klever integrates Jumio on its encrypted exchange service for user authentication - QNT - May 30th, 2021
- IoT Security Solution for Encryption Market Size and Share 2021 | Global Industry Analysis By Trends, Future Demands, Growth Factors 2027 Brockville... - May 30th, 2021
- WhatsApp Sues The Indian Government Over New Laws That Would Force It To Break Encryption - Techdirt - May 28th, 2021
- More and more companies are encrypting their devices - ITProPortal - May 28th, 2021