It may have originally been intended to protect citizens from online harm, but scope creep could see the UKs new duty of care legislation put legal heft behind Five Eyes governments long-running efforts to access social media users encrypted communications.
New reports suggest that ministers from Five Eyes countries Australia, New Zealand, UK, US, and Canada will meet this week to discuss using the new UK legislation to cudgel recalcitrant social media giants into providing government agencies with access to private communications.
A UK government white paper last year outlined its proposed approach which emphasises the importance of a culture of transparency, trust and accountability that would force social media firms to audit harmful content and the measures they are taking to address it.
Compliance with the enforcement regime would be overseen by an industry-funded independent regulator which, the government posited, would also have powers to require additional information... including about the operation of algorithms.
The word encryption is conspicuously absent from the 98-page document, with just one instance of the term, relating to how online child grooming moves across different platforms.
A new twist on an old concept
Despite ongoing threats to clamp down on social media giants in the US, the UK legislation would lead the world in imposing a legally-enforceable duty of care on online platforms.
Just as the common-law idea of duty of care has been applied to a wealth of different situations, interest from Five Eyes partners suggests they see the new laws as allowing them to force social media companies to decrypt messages between customers.
Pushback from Apple, Facebook, Google and other social media giants remains a thorn in the side of police and intelligence services that have struggled to access encrypted mobile devices they say are protecting terrorists and paedophiles.
Facebooks resistance which stems in large part from the Privacy Manifesto that CEO Mark Zuckerberg penned last year after the companys Cambridge Analytica privacy debacle has been particularly problematic given that it owns dominant social media platforms Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp.
I believe the future of communication will increasingly shift to private, encrypted services where people can be confident what they say to each other stays secure and their messages and content won't stick around forever, Zuckerberg wrote amidst law enforcement bodies increasing calls for access to customer data.
Under zero knowledge encryption frameworks, that data is often protected by encryption that the social media firms often cant break but that hasnt stopped government agencies from demanding access to it.
Where does liability start and end?
Australias leadership against live-streaming violence kick-started a global consensus around forcing social media firms to police their content, and its Assistance and Access Act has singularly and controversially focused on letting the government order the breaking of encryption.
Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton is also calling for unprecedented powers allowing the Australian Signals Directorate (ASD)s surveillance arsenal to be turned on criminal suspects within in Australia.
Yet rather than focusing on specific technologies, the UKs idea of subjecting social media providers to a broader duty of care could shift the onus onto those companies to ensure that potentially harmful communications can be accessed and blocked.
The design choices made by the companies in constructing these platforms are not neutral, a trio of legal experts wrote in an analysis of the proposed laws that called it a sensible regulatory framework on which to proceed.
Every pixel a user sees on an online service is there as a result of decisions taken by the company the operates it, they wrote. Companies have to own responsibility for reasonably foreseeable matters that arise from operation of their service.
If the use of their encryption platforms for online harms like terrorism and paedophilia can be reasonably foreseen, the logic goes, online platforms would be breaking the law if they dont provide a mechanism to help stop such harms.
This novel legal structure would distance the UK government from the perception that its forcing companies to build technological back doors into their products.
The problem with backdoors, as well-intentioned as they are, is that they are engineered vulnerabilities and bad actors inevitably find them, Internet Society senior director of policy strategy and development Konstantinos Komaitis warned.
This means for every crime you stop with a backdoor, you enable countless others... the criminal world effectively gets their hands on a digital skeleton key.
Whether the new legislation represents more carrot or stick, remains to be seen but the fact that Google, Facebook and Twitter all singled out the new legislation as a potential threat suggests that the battle is only getting started.
Read this article:
Are social giants morally obligated to break encryption? - ACS
- IoT Security Solution For Encryption Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Endpoint Encryption Software Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Market Report 2020 by Key Players, Types, Applications, Countries, Market Size, Forecast to 2026... - July 6th, 2020
- Explained: WhatApp calls End-to-End Encrypted, but what does it mean for you? - India Today - July 6th, 2020
- The booming business of encrypted tech serving the criminal underworld - Telegraph.co.uk - July 6th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Devices Consumption Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Network Encryption Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Worth $20.1 Billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - Yahoo Finance - June 18th, 2020
- Zoom says free users will get end-to-end encryption after all - The Verge - June 18th, 2020
- Zoom To Offer End-To-End Encryption For Video Calls, Trials To Start In July - NDTV - June 18th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020-2025: Types, Services, Cost Structure, Application, Statistics, Emerging Trends And Regional Analysis - Owned - June 18th, 2020
- Zoom to offer end-to-end encryption for all users, trial to begin in July - Reuters India - June 18th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market Will Generate Massive Revenue In Future- A Comprehensive Study On Key Players - Surfacing Magazine - June 18th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Gateways Market Research with COVID-19 After Effects - Cole of Duty - June 18th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 By Trends, Demand, Business Opportunities, Development Factors, Applications, Overview with Competitive landscape... - June 14th, 2020
- IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON Encryption Key Management Software RESEARCH, GROWTH TRENDS AND COMPETITIVE ANALYSIS 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - June 14th, 2020
- Move over Zoom, this encryption company just released the first fully end to end encrypted conferencing solution #105518 - New Kerala - June 14th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Software Market to witness high growth in near future - GroundAlerts.com - June 14th, 2020
- Three secure ways to surf the internet - Gadgets Now - June 14th, 2020
- Will Zoom Bring Encryption to the People Who Need It Most? - EFF - June 13th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Size Scope and Comprehensive Analysis by 2028 - 3rd Watch News - June 13th, 2020
- Federal-grade encryption from the comfort of home - GCN.com - June 13th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market Growth Prospects, Revenue, Key Vendors, Growth Rate and Forecast To 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 13th, 2020
- Congress introduces EARN IT Act, which would end encryption programs but violates the Constitution - NationofChange - June 13th, 2020
- IBM kit wants to keep your data encrypted while in use - ITProPortal - June 13th, 2020
- Commercial Encryption Software Market Growth Prospects, Revenue, Key Vendors, Growth Rate and Forecast To 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 13th, 2020
- Nearly 500,000 say Congress shouldnt kill encryption with the EARN IT Act - The Daily Dot - June 13th, 2020
- COVID-19, Security and WFH: Myths and Misconceptions - Security Boulevard - June 13th, 2020
- Privacy News Online | Weekly Review: June 12th, 2020 - Privacy News Online - June 13th, 2020
- Global Optical encryption Market Insights and Forecast 2020 to 2025 - Jewish Life News - June 13th, 2020
- Hong Kong is number one in Asia for enterprise encryption, with customer personal information the top data protection priority, reports nCipher... - May 27th, 2020
- Facebook plot to encrypt ALL chats will help child abusers to hide, former police chief warns - The Sun - May 27th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market To Expand At A Robust 14.27% Cagr Of 2020 | Sophos,McAfee,Check Point Software Technologies,Proofpoint,Trend Micro - 3rd... - May 27th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Forecast Revised in a New Market Expertz Report as COVID-19 Projected to Hold a Massive Impact on Sales in 2020 | Long-term... - May 27th, 2020
- Global Homomorphic Encryption Market Analysis 2020-2025: by Key Players with Countries, Type, Application and Forecast Till 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 27th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact ON AES Encryption Software Market: Size, Market Analysis, Application, Growth Drivers, Trends, status and Research Report by 2025 -... - May 27th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Software Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19 Impact | Top... - May 27th, 2020
- Global Encryption Key Management Market 2020 Insights, Key Player's Competition, Trends, Sales, Revenue, Supply, Demand, Growth Analysis and Forecast... - May 27th, 2020
- Starting to look at email security. Looking for guidance - Encryption Methods and Programs - BleepingComputer - May 25th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Technology Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- Gemalto, Sophos, Symantec, SkyHigh Networks, Netskope etc. -... - May 25th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Cloud Encryption Technology Market is Expected to Grow at an active CAGR by Forecast to 2025 | Top Players Gemalto, Sophos,... - May 25th, 2020
- Zoom will seek public feedback on plan for stronger encryption - The Indian Express - May 16th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- Almost half of organisations have been reported to the ICO for a potential data breach - ResponseSource - May 16th, 2020
- VPN Tunnels explained: what are they and how can they keep your internet data secure - TechRadar - May 16th, 2020
- The Week in Ransomware - May 15th 2020 - REvil targets Trump - BleepingComputer - May 16th, 2020
- WhatsApp Video Calls Will Soon Support 50: This Is Why 8s The Limit For Your Security - Forbes - May 16th, 2020
- How to Use Encryption for Defense in Depth in Native and Browser Apps - InfoQ.com - May 14th, 2020
- Analyzing Encrypted RDP Connections - Security Boulevard - May 14th, 2020
- Analysis on Impact of COVID-19-Global Cloud Encryption Software Market 2020-2024| Increasing Use of In-built Cloud Encryption Solutions to Boost... - May 14th, 2020
- Vcrypt ransomware brings along a buddy to do the encryption - Naked Security - May 14th, 2020
- Move over Zoom, this encryption company just released the first fully end to end encrypted conferencing solution - Yahoo Finance - May 14th, 2020
- GovCon Expert Chuck Brooks: Three Steps for Protecting Data in the Public and Private Sectors - GovConWire - May 14th, 2020
- What is the difference between Symmetric and Asymmetric Encryption? - TWCN Tech News - May 14th, 2020
- Encryption Key Management Software Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- IoT Security Solution For Encryption Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Technology Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Data Encryption Service Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Congress May Hand Bill Barr the Keys to Your Online Life - The New Republic - May 14th, 2020
- DataLocker Sentry K300 8GB Encrypted Thumb Drive Review - TweakTown - May 14th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Technology Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Software Market SHARE, SIZE 2020| EMERGING RAPIDLY WITH LATEST TRENDS, GROWTH, REVENUE, DEMAND AND FORECAST TO 2026 -... - May 14th, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Hardware Based Encryption Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Email Encryption Software Market Incredible Possibilities, Growth With Industry Study, Detailed Analysis And Forecast To 2025 - Bulletin Line - May 14th, 2020
- Google Duo is coming to the web via Chrome; features Family mode, end-to-end encryption - Moneycontrol - May 14th, 2020
- Global trade impact of the Coronavirus Commercial Encryption Software Market Applications and Company's Active in the Industry Science Market Reports... - May 2nd, 2020
- Email Encryption Market Growth Opportunities, Challenges, Key Companies, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 2nd, 2020
- U.S. Hardware Encryption Market (2019 to 2026) - by Algorithm & Standard, Architecture and Field-Programmable Gate Array, Product, Application,... - May 2nd, 2020
- Innovative Encryption Algorithm Developed in South Korea - BusinessKorea - May 2nd, 2020
- Online course trains students in the bizarre world of quantum computing - Livescience.com - May 2nd, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Growth Opportunities, Challenges, Key Companies, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 2nd, 2020
- COVID19 impact: Global Cloud Encryption Software Market Trends (Constraints, Drivers, Opportunities, Threats, Challenges, recommendations and... - May 2nd, 2020
- Review of the iStorage datAshur Pro2, an encrypted thumbdrive for home and work - Neowin - May 2nd, 2020
- Kanguru expands encrypted flash drive range with new 256GB options - Geeky Gadgets - May 2nd, 2020
- Global Encryption Management Solutions Market Size |Incredible Possibilities and Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2026 | Check Point Software... - May 2nd, 2020
- The COVIDSafe app was just one contact tracing option. These alternatives guarantee more privacy - The Conversation AU - May 2nd, 2020
- Data Encryption Service Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures With Forecasts Growth by 2026| Microsoft, IBM, OneNeck - News Log Book - May 2nd, 2020
- ACLU, EFF still trying to get documents unsealed in Facebook encryption case - CyberScoop - April 29th, 2020
- Advanced Encryption Standard (AES): What It Is and How It Works - Security Boulevard - April 29th, 2020