SEVEN people have been arrested and huge amounts of cash seized in police raids in Essex and London.
The activity is linked to Operation Eternal, the Metropolitan Police's investigation to counter the use of encrypted devices by criminals to avoid detection.
Operation Eternal is the Mets investigation name for its involvement in Operation Venetic, led by the National Crime Agency.
There were also addresses raided in Essex included properties in Grays and Clacton.
Other warrants in Redbridge and Havering were carried out in the early hours of this morning by the Mets Specialist Crime Proactive Hub, aided by the Territorial Support Group.
The warrants relate to an investigation into people who thought their criminality was hidden behind security devices to distribute messages and images in order to carry out their crimes.
Images are used by the criminals to show the illicit items and the one attached shows what is attributed to be a one kilogram block of cocaine.
The investigation relates to EncroChat, which was one of the largest providers of encrypted communications and offered a secure mobile phone instant messaging service, but an international law enforcement team cracked the companys encryption.
On June 13 this year, EncroChat realised the platform had been penetrated and sent a message to its users urging them to throw away their handsets.
The phones which have pre-loaded apps for instant messaging, have a kill code which wipes them remotely have no other conventional smart phone functionality and cost around 1,500 for a six-month contract.
As a result on the investigation on Tuesday, police arrested a man in Maldonon suspicion of directing the supply of drugs into east London and Essex between April and September 2020.
Knives that were seized
Also seized at the time of the arrest was a knife that is also suspected to be a stun-gun.
The 52 year-old man is currently being questioned by detectives and following the arrest, a residential property was searched in Liverpool.
In addition, other addresses in east London and Essex, believed to be linked to the organised crime group, were searched todayas police sought further evidence of drugs supply.
At an address in Havering, a 40-year-old manwas arrested on suspicion of possession of criminal property and cash, believed to be in excess of 100,000, was seized.
Three addresses in Ilford that were searched resulted in three arrests.
At one a 46-year-old-man was arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to supply controlled drugs. A suspected firearm was also found in the search, this awaits forensic examination.
At the second address a 48-year-old womanwas arrested on suspicion of possession of criminal property and about 6,500 in cash was seized.
At a third Ilford address, officers executed a search warrant and arrested a 45 year-old manon suspicion of possession of drugs with intent to supply.
At an address in Grays,two 18-year-old menandwere arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to supply controlled drugs.
At another Graysaddress a 23-year-old manwas arrested on suspicion of cultivation of cannabis.
Lastly, at an address in Clacton, police executed a search warrant and discovered a cannabis factory. There were no occupants or arrests.
As a result of the operation, eight people have been arrested.
Police continue to identify other subjects concerned in the supply of drugs and offences under the proceeds of crime act.
Det Insp Niall McSheffrey, from the Specialist Crime Command, said: The action taken today demonstrates the Mets continued fight to tackle serious and organised crime.
"The extent of this organised crime groups criminality is clear from the messages and images on the encrypted devices. I hope todays activity sends a clear message to criminals that they have nowhere to hide.
The National Crime Agency played a key role combatting encrypted communications through Operation Venetic and due to extensive and thorough investigations a number of EncroChat users have been found.
- Ring adds end-to-end video encryption to its doorbells and security cameras at CES 2021 - CNET - January 14th, 2021
- Encrypted Phones iPhone and Android Encryption - Reader's Digest - January 14th, 2021
- Millions Flock to Telegram and Signal as Fears Grow Over Big Tech - The New York Times - January 14th, 2021
- Signal, the encrypted messaging app and WhatsApp alternative, explained - Vox.com - January 14th, 2021
- Heres why Telegram does not offer end-to-end encryption by default - The Indian Express - January 14th, 2021
- Mobile Encryption Market Structure, Industry Inspection, and Forecast 2025 - Business-newsupdate.com - January 14th, 2021
- Comprehensive Report on Email Encryption Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2030 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 14th, 2021
- The World's Only Processor Family with Full Memory Encryption* - PCWorld - January 14th, 2021
- What is Signal? The basics of the most secure messaging app. - Mashable - January 14th, 2021
- WhatsApp chats are encrypted so how will Facebook use chat data for ads? This is how - India Today - January 14th, 2021
- Encryption Software Market Current and Future Industry Trends, 2020-2025 - AlgosOnline - January 14th, 2021
- What Is Signal, and Why Is Everyone Using It? - How-To Geek - January 14th, 2021
- Data Encryption Market Analysis and In-depth Research on Size, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecasts 2026 - Murphy's Hockey Law - January 14th, 2021
- Elon Musk says to use Signal instead of Facebook. What to know about the messaging app - CNET - January 10th, 2021
- Global Document Encryption Software Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Key Drivers, Business Strategy, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 The Sentinel... - January 10th, 2021
- Encryption Software Market Segmentation and Analysis by Recent Trends, Development and Growth by Regions to 2026 - Farming Sector - January 10th, 2021
- Homomorphic Encryption Market 2020 | COVID-19 Impact With Top Key Players, Trends, Overview, Insights And Outlook 2027 : Cosmian, CryptoExperts,... - January 10th, 2021
- Global Email Encryption Market Expected to reach highest CAGR by 2025 : Hewlett-Packard, Symantec Corporation, Cisco Systems, Mcafee (Intel), Trend... - January 10th, 2021
- Homomorhpic Encryption Market Latest Innovations, Analysis, Business Opportunities, Overview, Component, Industry Revenue and Forecast - LionLowdown - January 10th, 2021
- Homomorphic Encryption Market Forecast 2021-2027, Latest Trends and Opportunities|Microsoft (US), IBM Corporation (US), Galois Inc (US) - Farming... - January 10th, 2021
- Are We Heading Towards EU Legislation Banning End-to-End Encryption? - Lexology - December 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Trending Technologies, Industry Growth, Share, Opportunities, Developments And Forecast - LionLowdown - December 29th, 2020
- Signals famous encryption may have been cracked - TechRadar - December 29th, 2020
- AES Encryption Software Market 2021: Comprehensive Analysis and Growth Forecast - NeighborWebSJ - December 29th, 2020
- Encryption, zero trust and the quantum threat security predictions for 2021 - BetaNews - December 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market By Business Analysis, Industry Types, Demand, Capacity, Applications, Services, Innovations and Forecast 2025 - Farming... - December 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Size 2020 by Top Key Players, Global Trend, Types, Applications, Regional Demand, Forecast to 2027 - LionLowdown - December 29th, 2020
- How to Securely Send Sensitive Information over the Internet - TechBullion - December 29th, 2020
- In 2020, Congress Threatened Our Speech and Security With the EARN IT Act - EFF - December 29th, 2020
- Encryption Key Management Market Key Trends and how do they Impact the Specific Regions - NeighborWebSJ - December 29th, 2020
- The ACLU Is Suing For Info On The FBI's Encryption Breaking Capabilities - Gizmodo - December 29th, 2020
- Encrypting data is the key to a peaceful New Year (Includes interview) - Digital Journal - December 29th, 2020
- Proton's Calendar Platform With End-to-End Encryption Now Available as an Android App - News18 - December 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020: COVID19 Impact on Industry Growth, Trends, Top Manufacturer, Regional Analysis and Forecast to 2027 - The Monitor - December 29th, 2020
- The Same U.S. Government That Wants To Weaken Our Encryption Just Got Massively Hacked - Reason - December 15th, 2020
- How to Enable End-to-End Encryption in Google Messages - Lifehacker - December 15th, 2020
- Ransomware gangs are getting faster at encrypting networks. That will make them harder to stop - ZDNet - December 15th, 2020
- UK has not ordered 'backdoor access' to WhatsApp messages - but could issue injunction against Facebook's encryption plans - Sky News - December 15th, 2020
- From the bottom of the sea rose a piece of encrypted history. What were the Nazi Enigmas? - The Indian Express - December 15th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Software Market To Witness Huge Gains Over 2020-2026 - The Courier - December 15th, 2020
- Google Messages End-to-End Encryption Guide: How It Works on Android - Tech Times - December 15th, 2020
- Facebooks encryption could prevent MI5 and police from stopping terror attacks and child abuse - Telegraph.co.uk - December 15th, 2020
- S'pore seizes $5.3m in illicit funds linked to Canadian network used by crime syndicates - The Straits Times - December 15th, 2020
- Encrypted messaging could increase child abuse cases, report warns - E&T Magazine - December 9th, 2020
- A Balanced DNS Information Protection Strategy: Minimize at Root, TLD; Encrypt When Needed Elsewhere - CircleID - December 9th, 2020
- Protecting consumer data is leading driver for encryption in Middle East: report - Gulf Business - December 9th, 2020
- Insights on the Cloud Encryption Software Market 2020-2024: COVID-19 Industry Analysis, Market Trends, Market Growth, Opportunities and Forecast 2024... - December 9th, 2020
- Commercial Encryption Software Market Trends, Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Overview by 2026 - Murphy's Hockey Law - December 9th, 2020
- Does opening a 'back door' to encrypted communications create a whole new raft of problems? How can firms promise privacy if there is official access?... - December 9th, 2020
- Enigma encryption machine used by Nazis in World War II found on bottom of ocean - ABC News - December 9th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 | Latest Trend, Swot Analysis, Covid-19 Impact And Forecast - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 9th, 2020
- Data Encryption Market Size with Business Opportunity, Challenges, Standardization, Competitive Intelligence and Regional Analysis - The... - December 9th, 2020
- COVID-19 Update: Global Encryption Software Market is Expected to Grow at a Healthy CAGR with Top players: Dell , Eset , Gemalto , IBM , Mcafee , etc.... - December 9th, 2020
- SSL-based threats remain prevalent and are becoming increasingly sophisticated. - The CyberWire - December 9th, 2020
- What Is the Signal Encryption Protocol? - WIRED - November 30th, 2020
- Data Protection | The Pros and Cons of End-to-End Encryption - DIGIT.FYI - November 30th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Overview, Growth, Types, Applications, Dynamics, Companies, Regions, & Forecast to 2026 - The Haitian-Caribbean News... - November 30th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market to Witness Astonishing Growth by 2027 | Dell , Eset , Gemalto and more - Cheshire Media - November 30th, 2020
- EU targets end-to-end encryption tools after rise in terror attacks - DIGIT.FYI - November 30th, 2020
- European Legislators Move to Eliminate End-to-End Encryption in Messaging Services Following Terror Attacks - Digital Information World - November 30th, 2020
- Facebook urged to end encryption to help cops stop paedophiles using app - The Sun - November 30th, 2020
- Inside the French governments mission to develop an encrypted messaging platform - NS Tech - November 30th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market Size, Key Manufacturers, Demand, Application And Opportunities By 2027 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020
- The tech and security backends that keep your data safe - Business MattersBusiness Matters - November 30th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Expected to Boost the Global Industry Growth in the Near Future - Cheshire Media - November 30th, 2020
- Commercial Encryption Software Market Will Generate Record Revenue by 2025 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020
- Symmetric Encryption Algorithms: Live Long & Encrypt - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - November 24th, 2020
- Google plans to test end-to-end encryption in Android messages - TechCrunch - November 24th, 2020
- Google Messages Set to Roll Out End-to-End Encryption - Infosecurity Magazine - November 24th, 2020
- Did they crack the code? The importance of encryption for protest movements - OpenGlobalRights - November 24th, 2020
- The EU's muddled approach to encryption - The Spectator US - November 24th, 2020
- AES Encryption Software Market 2020 Global Industry Size, Demand, Growth Analysis, Share, Revenue and Forecast 2022 - The Think Curiouser - November 24th, 2020
- How to recover data from a Mac with T2 or FileVault encryption and without a password - Macworld - November 24th, 2020
- Security flaws in smart doorbells may open the door to hackers - We Live Security - November 24th, 2020
- Document Encryption Software Market 2020 - Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic, Future Development, Top Manufacturers Analysis, Trends and Demand discussed in... - November 24th, 2020
- U.S. Hardware Encryption Market is expected to reach $259.12 billion by 2026 | CAGR 32.4% - WhaTech - November 24th, 2020
- Data Encryption Market: Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Trends, Growth and Forecast 2020 2026 - The Think Curiouser - November 24th, 2020
- 2020 and Beyond: Homomorphic Encryption Market Trends and Outlook Study to 2027 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 24th, 2020
- US Department of Justice reignites the Battle to Break Encryption - Naked Security - October 17th, 2020
- Five Eyes Call for Tech World to Weaken Encryption - ClearanceJobs - ClearanceJobs - October 17th, 2020