A few weeks ago a group of U.S. Republican senators introduced the Lawful Access to Encrypted Data Act, a bill that would compel American tech companies to put backdoors in their products to give law enforcement access to customers data with a warrant.
If passed, the Act will put everyones data at risk, while reversing decades of work to make encryption stronger and personal data more secure.
Even for purposes of lawful access, no company wants government pressure to insert vulnerabilities in their products. Adding any sort of hidden backdoor access or decryption capability potentially jeopardizes a companys reputation and its business prospects.
Yet such pressure is reality in the tech industry. In 2016, for example, Apple famously refused an FBI request to unlock an iPhone linked to a shooting in California.
But its not just the U.S. government pushing companies to install backdoors. In 2018, a letter was issued by the Five Eyes intelligence-sharing alliance, consisting of the U.S., U.K., Canada, Australia and New Zealand. The letter warned that if private companies refused to help authorities de-code encrypted emails, text messages, and voice communications, the Five Eyes governments might pursue technological, enforcement, legislative or other measures to achieve lawful access solutions.
Tech companies have faced such pressure to compromise privacy for decades. In the 1990s, the FBI floated the concept of key escrow, whereby software developers would copy the keys to every algorithm and give them to authorities upon request. In 2017, thenU.S. Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein claimed that encrypted apps were protecting criminals like terrorists and drug dealers. Rosenstein acknowledged that the approach taken in the recent past negotiating with technology companies and hoping that they eventually will assist law enforcement out of a sense of civic duty is unlikely to work.
Why would that be? Do technology companies lack a sense of civic duty? A more likely explanation is that they know vulnerabilities are inevitably discovered and exploited. This turns their products into the cyber-equivalent of a suitcase lock made for the Transportation Security Administration. TSA authorities have master keys that can open any TSA-approved lock, allowing the agency to open your luggage without breaking the lock and damaging your suitcase.
As many people predicted when the program was rolled out, this vulnerability was soon exploited by hackers, allowing anyone with a 3D printer copy of the master keys and sell them on the black market. The same thing could easily happen with data networks.
As the Internet of Things ushers in an era of cyber-physical systems, network security is becoming a matter of life and death: instead of just disclosing your credit card information, a system breach could highjack the car youre driving or stop the pacemaker that controls your heart.
Think about the legal liability, reputational damage, and potential loss of life. What company wants any part of that?
Its sponsors in Congress will argue that the Lawful Access to Encrypted Data Act will keep Americas networks safe. Sadly, the effect will be the exact opposite. And tech companies know it.
Just as no organization wants to get hacked, no company in the world wants to install backdoors in their technology. Its just bad for business, as products are compromised, customers angered, and corporate reputations tarnished or destroyed.
Building a backdoor access that may be exploited by #hackers is a risk that no technology company is willing to take. #cybersecurity #respectdata Click to Tweet
Any backdoor makes us all less secure. As cyber security expert Bruce Schneier points out, you cant build a backdoor that only works with proper legal authorization, or only for people with a particular citizenship or the proper morality. If a backdoor exists, it can be exploited. Thats a risk no company is willing to take.
- US Department of Justice reignites the Battle to Break Encryption - Naked Security - October 17th, 2020
- Five Eyes Call for Tech World to Weaken Encryption - ClearanceJobs - ClearanceJobs - October 17th, 2020
- Zoom Begins Rollout of End-To-End Encryption - My TechDecisions - TechDecisions - October 17th, 2020
- Could homomorphic encryption be the solution to big data's problem? - Siliconrepublic.com - October 17th, 2020
- U.S., UK and other countries warn tech firms that encryption creates 'severe risks' to public safety - CNBC - October 17th, 2020
- Is Signal secure? How the messaging app protects privacy - Business Insider - Business Insider - October 17th, 2020
- AeroVironment and Viasat to aim to improve radio encryption for Puma AE - Flightglobal - October 17th, 2020
- Encryption Backdoor? The Trump Administration Wants It. - The National Interest - October 17th, 2020
- How to use private conversations on Skype to send encrypted calls and messages - Business Insider India - October 17th, 2020
- AES Encryption Software Industry Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19 Impact | Top... - October 17th, 2020
- Trustifi Named Overall Encryption Solution Provider of the Year in 2020 CyberSecurity Breakthrough Awards Program - GlobeNewswire - October 17th, 2020
- ACLU and EFF Call DOJ's Encryption Dream a Nightmare - L.A. Weekly - October 17th, 2020
- Global Database Encryption Market Expected to reach highest CAGR in forecast period : International Business Machines Corporation, Symantec... - October 17th, 2020
- Feds, 'Five Eyes' Allies Take Another Swing at Encryption Policy Changes - MeriTalk - October 13th, 2020
- Homomorphic encryption tools find their niche - CSO Online - October 13th, 2020
- Mission Impossible: 7 Countries Tell Facebook To Break Encryption - Forbes - October 13th, 2020
- Dutton pushes against encryption yet again but oversight at home is slow - ZDNet - October 13th, 2020
- Western governments double down efforts to curtail end-to-end encryption - The Daily Swig - October 13th, 2020
- Fuse Analytics integration with StrongSalt offers Enterprise Information Archiving with GDPR protections - PR Web - October 13th, 2020
- Is Signal Safe? What to Know About the New Encrypted Messaging App - Parentology - October 13th, 2020
- Five Eyes alliance warning: 'Encryption creates severe risks to public safety' - New Zealand Herald - October 13th, 2020
- Privateness or youngster safety? 7 governments, together with US & UK, argue Fb's new encryption plan would profit PEDOPHILES - Editorials 360 - October 13th, 2020
- Optical Encryption Market Analysis And Demand With Forecast Overview To 2025 - Express Journal - October 13th, 2020
- Encrypted messages don't always stay private. Here's what that means for you - CNET - October 11th, 2020
- EARN IT Act a Dire Threat to Encryption, Speech Online, Critics Say - Decrypt - October 11th, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts of Covid-19 on Cloud Encryption Software Market Effects, Aftermath, Global Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast To... - October 11th, 2020
- Parts of the Election System Are Ripe for Hacking: 'Encryption? We Don't Do That' - Josh Kurtz - October 6th, 2020
- WikiLeaks led the way for newsrooms to use encryption to protect sources, says Italian journalist - ComputerWeekly.com - October 6th, 2020
- Global Encryption Software Market 2020 Industry Size, Shares and Upcoming Trends 2025 - Reported Times - October 6th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 2027: Recent Trends, Growth Opportunities and Business Development Strategies By IBM, Trend Micro, Symantec, McaFee,... - October 6th, 2020
- Encryption Key Management Market Research By Growth, Competitive Methods And Forecast To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 6th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market Size, Share, Trends, CAGR by Technology, Key Players, Regions, Cost, Revenue and Forecast 2020 to... - October 6th, 2020
- Global Encryption Software Market 2020 | Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19 | Top Companies:... - October 6th, 2020
- Stay Tuned with the Epic Battle in the Encryption Key Management Market - The Daily Chronicle - October 6th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market To Drive Highest Growth By 2027 With Leading Key Players: Seagate Technology PLC, Western Digital Corp,... - October 6th, 2020
- Encrypted USB flash drive you can unlock with your smartphone (or Apple Watch) - ZDNet - October 6th, 2020
- Global Mobile Encryption Market is slated to grow rapidly in the coming years: McAfee(Intel Corporation), Blackberry, T-Systems International, ESET,... - October 6th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Software Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 6th, 2020
- Best Encryption Software in 2020 - Latest Quadrant Ranking Released by 360Quadrants - PRNewswire - September 30th, 2020
- 4 Reasons Why Encryption Is a Must for Data Protection - CIOReview - September 30th, 2020
- Prospective Node Operators Stake $125M in ETH to Participate in NuCypher Encryption Network - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 30th, 2020
- Fortanix Partners with VMware to Enable Cloud Service Providers to Deliver Data Security as a Service - GlobeNewswire - September 30th, 2020
- SanDisks latest portable SSDs have boosted speed and security - The Verge - September 30th, 2020
- What Facebook users need to know about end-to-end encryption - Fast Company - September 30th, 2020
- Whats really up with your secure WhatsApp chats - Mint - September 30th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Technology Market Trends Together With Growth Forecast To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Market- Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027: By Industrial verticals, Services, and Region. - Unica News - September 30th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Market to Witness a Pronounce Growth During 2020-2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Technology Market with (Covid-19) Impact Analysis: Growth, Latest Trend Analysis and Forecast 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Global Email Encryption Software Market Report 2020-2027: Production Capacity and Consumption Analysis by Regions and Country Wise - Crypto Daily - September 30th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Service Market 2020 | Detailed Analysis, Growth, Research and Forecast - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Database Encryption Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Optical Encryption Industry 2020 Includes The Major Application Segments And Size In The Global Market To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Hardware Based Encryption Market Projected to Be Resilient During 2020-2025 - The Market Records - September 30th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Market (2020-2026) | Where Should Participant Focus To Gain Maximum ROI | Exclusive Report By DataIntelo - Crypto Daily - September 30th, 2020
- Ring plans to offer end-to-end encryption by the end of the year - The Verge - September 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Comprehensive Study With Key Trends, Major Drivers And Challenges 2020-2026 - The Market Records - September 29th, 2020
- Ring to offer opt-in end-to-end encryption for videos beginning later this year - TechCrunch - September 29th, 2020
- WhatsApp Encryption Is Not Foolproof; Chats Can Be Accessed In These Ways - Yahoo India News - September 29th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Market Forecast to 2027 Covid-19 Impact and Global Analysis by Type, Deployment Type and Industry Vertical... - September 29th, 2020
- EU Still Asking For The Impossible (And The Unnecessary): 'Lawful Access' To Encrypted Material That Doesn't Break Encryption - Techdirt - September 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Report Examines Growth Overview And Predictions On Size, Share And Trend Through 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Russia Is Trying Something New to Isolate Its Internet From the Rest of the World - Slate - September 29th, 2020
- Network Encryption Market From 2020-2026: Growth Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Types And Applications - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Size, Analytical Overview, Key Players, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends And Forecast to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Top Technologies To Achieve Security And Privacy Of Sensitive Data In AI Models - Analytics India Magazine - September 29th, 2020
- Database Encryption Market Analysis and the Impact of COVID-19 Key Vendors, Growth Rate and Forecast To 2028 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Technology Market Size, Analytical Overview, Key Players, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends And Forecast to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis And Forecast To 2026 |... - September 29th, 2020
- WhatsApp says end-to-end encryption to protects chats among app however not cloud backups - Stanford Arts Review - September 29th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market 2020-2028 Research Report| Know The Growth Factors and Future Scope - The Daily Chronicle - September 25th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market to Witness Astonishing Growth by 2026 | Ciphercloud, Gemalto, Hytrust and more - Crypto Daily - September 25th, 2020
- One Way to Prevent Police From Surveilling Your Phone - The Intercept - September 25th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Encryption Software Market Report to Share Key Aspects of the Industry with the details of Influence Factors - Scientect - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market: Regional Overview and Trends Evaluation to 2026 - Fractovia News - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market is Expected to reach $2.16 billion by 2020| Growing at a CAGR (compounded annual growth rate) of CAGR of 14.27% from 2014... - September 4th, 2020
- WD unveils encrypted ArmorLock SSD that unlocks using your smartphone - 9to5Toys - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market report, upcoming trends, share report, growth size, industry players and global forecast to 2025 - Galus Australis - September 4th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Encryption Software Market: Global Industry Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2020 2025 - The Daily... - September 4th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Technology Steady Growth to be Witnessed by 2019-2029 - The News Brok - September 4th, 2020