Helical founder Eric Hess discusses how homomorphic encryption could change the way data is transferred and processed securely.
While advances in data analytics have enabled businesses to gain expanded insight into large structured and unstructured datasets, these advances have come with increased privacy and misappropriation risks.
Exercising greater control over the life cycle of data and confidentiality agreements has mitigated these risks but outsourcing of sensitive or regulated components of data processing to third parties is still widely viewed as fraught with risk.
If all sensitive data or data processes and algorithms could be shared with or processed by any third party (including competitors) subject to the providers controls, however, it would open up unimagined avenues of enterprise collaboration, specialisation and integration.
Homomorphic encryption solves for this significant gap and, while commercial viability is still a challenge, compelling use cases are emerging. In the coming years, any organisation endeavouring to become a centre of excellence in big data analytics will have no choice but to embrace homomorphic encryption.
Encryption is a digital safe where information is secured while locked inside. Plaintext data is converted to ciphertext using an algorithm that is sufficiently complicated to make the data unreadable without a decryption key. It can be stored and transmitted in this format and recipients can decrypt it, provided they have the key. Once encrypted data is needed for analysis, compliance or any other use case, it must be converted back to plaintext, which can sacrifice security.
Homomorphic encryption addresses this core weakness by allowing analysis on data in its ciphertext form. Craig Gentry, an early homomorphic encryption innovator, described the process as manipulating the contents of a locked box through gloves that are accessed through ports on the outside of the box.
One party places and locks contents in the box for a third party to manipulate without seeing what they are working on. The box is returned to the controller when the processor has completed the assigned task and custody is never surrendered.
Gentrys dissertation made homomorphic encryption attainable with one major barrier: computational overhead. Processing ciphertext creates a lot of overhead as the calculations are performed bit by bit. IBM has improved processing overhead, claiming it now runs 75 times faster than before, and a wide range of alternative schemes have further improved processing speeds.
Spurred by the collaborative models being deployed in connection with potential Covid-19 vaccines and treatments, homomorphic encryption will likely experience the highest relative rates of adoption and innovation in clinical research.
Homomorphic encryption can provide a mechanism for the life sciences industry to continue protecting intellectual property while leveraging the collaborative benefits from Covid-19 in other medical research.
Use cases will also be compelling for financial services, where data analytics defines the success or failure of algorithms and is becoming increasingly important as relative high-frequency trading advantages become more elusive. National security and critical infrastructure also provide early compelling use cases.
Encrypted processing will create new opportunities, applications and even industries
Data collectives are not a new concept to securities markets. For example, in 2005 the US Securities and Exchange Commission mandated regulated security markets to act jointly to disseminate consolidated information on quotations and transactions in securities markets.
Now, homomorphic encryption could empower competitive financial firms to not only provide alternatives to these sources, but innovate collectively to create their own proprietary market data products.
For all the promise of machine learning, the process of training and tuning machine learning applications requires big datasets.
Industry collectives could aggregate encrypted data and assign processes to collective members or vendors. Not only would this permit greater specialisation, but the collective dataset would accelerate machine learning in a way that additional computing power or PhDs cannot.
A recent IBM case study leveraging machine learning on a homomorphically encrypted database sought to predict whether bank customers would likely need a loan in the near future. A machine learning algorithm selected the most relevant variables for predicting loan status. The algorithm was trained on both encrypted and unencrypted data to measure accuracy and efficiency. The result was a near identical rate of accuracy and a manageable level of slowdown a persuasive positive indicator for the arrival of homomorphic encryptions commercial viability.
Homomorphic encryption will also accelerate the movement of big data analytics to cloud environments. Organisations leveraging big data have been reticent about cloud security since downloading big datasets from the cloud for processing can be impractical.
On the other hand, performing data processing for their most sensitive data in the cloud also requires storing the data encryption key in the cloud, making an organisations security only as strong as the cloud environment. With homomorphic encryption, processing can occur in ciphertext form in the cloud with encryption keys stored offline.
Many initiatives endeavouring to harness the power of big data have struggled with resource limitations, current technologies and regulations. Take, for example, financial regulators who struggle with the burdens of monitoring financial audit trails across multiple markets, asset types and participants.
Aggregating and disseminating this data to regulators is critical for surveillance, but creates a treasure trove of highly sensitive, unencrypted data while it is processed, and this occurs across multiple regulators.
This big data problem and the risk that this information will be used to engage in manipulative trading or even destabilise financial markets will only continue to grow unless encryption is deployed throughout the datas life cycle. In fact, regulators only require audit trails related to red flags that their surveillance algorithms identify, which can all be done in a fully encrypted format.
The competing concerns of privacy regulation and the value of data analytics is also an issue that the healthcare industry has struggled with.
Fragmentation of health information is compounded by privacy concerns, which are a significant roadblock to data sharing and has prevented the integration of health data that could facilitate better health outcomes.The utility of digital health information systems could be greatly enhanced by the deployment of homomorphic encryption.
Encrypted processing will create new opportunities, applications and even industries by greatly minimising intellectual property and regulatory concerns. It may even turn competitors into collaborators.
Homomorphic encryption will also force a re-examination of baseline assumptions related to confidentiality and security.How will restrictions on disclosure apply to encrypted processing by third parties? What are appropriate access controls where the entire life cycle of data is encrypted?What is reasonable security for processors of such data?
Privacy regulation will need to be re-examined in light of personal information being mined in an encrypted format. If an organisation is prohibited from sharing or selling data, what are the legal implications of their sharing and processing encrypted data that is never exposed?
Lastly and importantly, how will we know that the technologies we are deploying to accomplish not only homomorphic encryption but homomorphically encrypted processes are complying with the applicable laws, standards and obligations? Solutions will need to be auditable by design.
Homomorphic encryption is about more than big data. It is about solving for trust with tools that have never been available before and for which no similar workaround existed.
By Eric Hess
Eric Hess is the founder ofHess Legal Counsel and Helical. Hess Legal advises securities and digital asset firms on contract, security and privacy, governance, technology licensing and financing issues. Helical offers a cybersecurity-as-a-service platform.
- US Department of Justice reignites the Battle to Break Encryption - Naked Security - October 17th, 2020
- Five Eyes Call for Tech World to Weaken Encryption - ClearanceJobs - ClearanceJobs - October 17th, 2020
- Zoom Begins Rollout of End-To-End Encryption - My TechDecisions - TechDecisions - October 17th, 2020
- U.S., UK and other countries warn tech firms that encryption creates 'severe risks' to public safety - CNBC - October 17th, 2020
- Is Signal secure? How the messaging app protects privacy - Business Insider - Business Insider - October 17th, 2020
- AeroVironment and Viasat to aim to improve radio encryption for Puma AE - Flightglobal - October 17th, 2020
- Encryption Backdoor? The Trump Administration Wants It. - The National Interest - October 17th, 2020
- How to use private conversations on Skype to send encrypted calls and messages - Business Insider India - October 17th, 2020
- AES Encryption Software Industry Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19 Impact | Top... - October 17th, 2020
- Trustifi Named Overall Encryption Solution Provider of the Year in 2020 CyberSecurity Breakthrough Awards Program - GlobeNewswire - October 17th, 2020
- ACLU and EFF Call DOJ's Encryption Dream a Nightmare - L.A. Weekly - October 17th, 2020
- Global Database Encryption Market Expected to reach highest CAGR in forecast period : International Business Machines Corporation, Symantec... - October 17th, 2020
- Feds, 'Five Eyes' Allies Take Another Swing at Encryption Policy Changes - MeriTalk - October 13th, 2020
- Homomorphic encryption tools find their niche - CSO Online - October 13th, 2020
- Mission Impossible: 7 Countries Tell Facebook To Break Encryption - Forbes - October 13th, 2020
- Dutton pushes against encryption yet again but oversight at home is slow - ZDNet - October 13th, 2020
- Western governments double down efforts to curtail end-to-end encryption - The Daily Swig - October 13th, 2020
- Fuse Analytics integration with StrongSalt offers Enterprise Information Archiving with GDPR protections - PR Web - October 13th, 2020
- Is Signal Safe? What to Know About the New Encrypted Messaging App - Parentology - October 13th, 2020
- Five Eyes alliance warning: 'Encryption creates severe risks to public safety' - New Zealand Herald - October 13th, 2020
- Privateness or youngster safety? 7 governments, together with US & UK, argue Fb's new encryption plan would profit PEDOPHILES - Editorials 360 - October 13th, 2020
- Optical Encryption Market Analysis And Demand With Forecast Overview To 2025 - Express Journal - October 13th, 2020
- Encrypted messages don't always stay private. Here's what that means for you - CNET - October 11th, 2020
- EARN IT Act a Dire Threat to Encryption, Speech Online, Critics Say - Decrypt - October 11th, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts of Covid-19 on Cloud Encryption Software Market Effects, Aftermath, Global Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast To... - October 11th, 2020
- Parts of the Election System Are Ripe for Hacking: 'Encryption? We Don't Do That' - Josh Kurtz - October 6th, 2020
- WikiLeaks led the way for newsrooms to use encryption to protect sources, says Italian journalist - ComputerWeekly.com - October 6th, 2020
- Global Encryption Software Market 2020 Industry Size, Shares and Upcoming Trends 2025 - Reported Times - October 6th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 2027: Recent Trends, Growth Opportunities and Business Development Strategies By IBM, Trend Micro, Symantec, McaFee,... - October 6th, 2020
- Encryption Key Management Market Research By Growth, Competitive Methods And Forecast To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 6th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market Size, Share, Trends, CAGR by Technology, Key Players, Regions, Cost, Revenue and Forecast 2020 to... - October 6th, 2020
- Global Encryption Software Market 2020 | Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19 | Top Companies:... - October 6th, 2020
- Stay Tuned with the Epic Battle in the Encryption Key Management Market - The Daily Chronicle - October 6th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market To Drive Highest Growth By 2027 With Leading Key Players: Seagate Technology PLC, Western Digital Corp,... - October 6th, 2020
- Encrypted USB flash drive you can unlock with your smartphone (or Apple Watch) - ZDNet - October 6th, 2020
- Global Mobile Encryption Market is slated to grow rapidly in the coming years: McAfee(Intel Corporation), Blackberry, T-Systems International, ESET,... - October 6th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Software Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 6th, 2020
- Best Encryption Software in 2020 - Latest Quadrant Ranking Released by 360Quadrants - PRNewswire - September 30th, 2020
- 4 Reasons Why Encryption Is a Must for Data Protection - CIOReview - September 30th, 2020
- Prospective Node Operators Stake $125M in ETH to Participate in NuCypher Encryption Network - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 30th, 2020
- Fortanix Partners with VMware to Enable Cloud Service Providers to Deliver Data Security as a Service - GlobeNewswire - September 30th, 2020
- SanDisks latest portable SSDs have boosted speed and security - The Verge - September 30th, 2020
- What Facebook users need to know about end-to-end encryption - Fast Company - September 30th, 2020
- Whats really up with your secure WhatsApp chats - Mint - September 30th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Technology Market Trends Together With Growth Forecast To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Market- Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027: By Industrial verticals, Services, and Region. - Unica News - September 30th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Market to Witness a Pronounce Growth During 2020-2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Technology Market with (Covid-19) Impact Analysis: Growth, Latest Trend Analysis and Forecast 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Global Email Encryption Software Market Report 2020-2027: Production Capacity and Consumption Analysis by Regions and Country Wise - Crypto Daily - September 30th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Service Market 2020 | Detailed Analysis, Growth, Research and Forecast - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Database Encryption Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Optical Encryption Industry 2020 Includes The Major Application Segments And Size In The Global Market To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Hardware Based Encryption Market Projected to Be Resilient During 2020-2025 - The Market Records - September 30th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Market (2020-2026) | Where Should Participant Focus To Gain Maximum ROI | Exclusive Report By DataIntelo - Crypto Daily - September 30th, 2020
- Ring plans to offer end-to-end encryption by the end of the year - The Verge - September 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Comprehensive Study With Key Trends, Major Drivers And Challenges 2020-2026 - The Market Records - September 29th, 2020
- Ring to offer opt-in end-to-end encryption for videos beginning later this year - TechCrunch - September 29th, 2020
- WhatsApp Encryption Is Not Foolproof; Chats Can Be Accessed In These Ways - Yahoo India News - September 29th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Market Forecast to 2027 Covid-19 Impact and Global Analysis by Type, Deployment Type and Industry Vertical... - September 29th, 2020
- EU Still Asking For The Impossible (And The Unnecessary): 'Lawful Access' To Encrypted Material That Doesn't Break Encryption - Techdirt - September 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Report Examines Growth Overview And Predictions On Size, Share And Trend Through 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Russia Is Trying Something New to Isolate Its Internet From the Rest of the World - Slate - September 29th, 2020
- Network Encryption Market From 2020-2026: Growth Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Types And Applications - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Size, Analytical Overview, Key Players, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends And Forecast to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Top Technologies To Achieve Security And Privacy Of Sensitive Data In AI Models - Analytics India Magazine - September 29th, 2020
- Database Encryption Market Analysis and the Impact of COVID-19 Key Vendors, Growth Rate and Forecast To 2028 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Technology Market Size, Analytical Overview, Key Players, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends And Forecast to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis And Forecast To 2026 |... - September 29th, 2020
- WhatsApp says end-to-end encryption to protects chats among app however not cloud backups - Stanford Arts Review - September 29th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market 2020-2028 Research Report| Know The Growth Factors and Future Scope - The Daily Chronicle - September 25th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market to Witness Astonishing Growth by 2026 | Ciphercloud, Gemalto, Hytrust and more - Crypto Daily - September 25th, 2020
- One Way to Prevent Police From Surveilling Your Phone - The Intercept - September 25th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Encryption Software Market Report to Share Key Aspects of the Industry with the details of Influence Factors - Scientect - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market: Regional Overview and Trends Evaluation to 2026 - Fractovia News - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market is Expected to reach $2.16 billion by 2020| Growing at a CAGR (compounded annual growth rate) of CAGR of 14.27% from 2014... - September 4th, 2020
- WD unveils encrypted ArmorLock SSD that unlocks using your smartphone - 9to5Toys - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market report, upcoming trends, share report, growth size, industry players and global forecast to 2025 - Galus Australis - September 4th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Encryption Software Market: Global Industry Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2020 2025 - The Daily... - September 4th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Technology Steady Growth to be Witnessed by 2019-2029 - The News Brok - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market to Witness Astonishing Growth by 2026 | Dell , Eset , Gemalto and more - The Daily Chronicle - September 4th, 2020