The controversial EARN IT Act has been watered down for its recent move to the US House of Representatives, but encryption and cryptocurrency experts are still echoing what theyve said for months: Legislation that could regulate the internet is inherently dangerous. The proposed law would erode Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, which protects online platform providersanyone from Facebook to small website ownersfrom being held liable for what their users post.
But under the EARN IT Act, which made its way through the Senate Judiciary Committee in September and was introduced in the House last week, platforms could be sued for users content as long as the complaint is related to crimes against children, like child pornography.
The bill features a last-minute amendment guaranteeing legal protection to platforms that use end-to-end encryption, a system by which platforms cant read users messages. But experts are still wary, partly because they think website owners will bump up content surveillance to avoid pricey litigation battles in the first place, said Marta Belcher, a blockchain law expert and special counsel for the Electronic Frontier Foundation.
If you have platforms that suddenly are going to be subject to these lawsuits, they're going to have to really closely monitor and censor users, she said.
The acts original version was more stringent, and interest groups called it a thinly veiled attempt to allow law enforcement access to private content. But even with its new protections, the bills current version still has serious loopholes when it comes to encryption, Belcher said.
For instance, CDA 230 prevents states from passing laws to control the internet. But if the EARN IT Act passes, this door would then open, giving non-federal jurisdictions more regulatory leeway.
I can definitely see governments using this as a hammer to go after any service that allows any kind of encrypted communication, said Matthew Green, a cryptography professor at Johns Hopkins University and one of the developers of the protocol behind the Zcash cryptocurrency.The effects the proposed legislation would have on the cryptocurrency sphere remain murky. Some crypto networks use encryption to host user contentwhich could leave them vulnerable to lawsuits under the EARN IT Actand others dont. Either way, the bill is a direct departure from the cypherpunk ethos that created cryptocurrency, said Chris Troutner, who founded the Bitcoin Cash-powered messaging service bch-encrypt.
We need end-to-end encryption, and we need uncensorable money, Troutner said. These arent nice-to-haves. Theyre absolute requirements.
The leadership behind the EARN IT Act is also raising red flags for the crypto community. If passed, the law would create a commission that recommends ways to prevent child exploitation online. U.S. Attorney General William Barr, who favors backdoor access to encrypted data, would lead the 19-member group. In turn, the commissions recommendations could disincentivize state legislatures from upholding privacy practices, said India McKinney, director of federal affairs with the EFF.
This kind of legislation isnt new. Bipartisan efforts to bypass encryption protocols have been around for years, and the EARN IT Act is just the latest gimmick, Matthew Green said.
It is something to be worried about, even if we dont know how its going to develop, said Green.
Editor's note: This article was updated after publication to clarify that India McKinney is EFF's director of federal affairs.
- All About Encryption Backdoors - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - January 25th, 2021
- Global Database Encryption Market Snapshot Analysis and Increasing Growth Demand by Forecast To 2025 The Courier - The Courier - January 25th, 2021
- Hardware Encryption Market worth $313 million by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - January 25th, 2021
- Encryption Software Market to Reach USD 24.94 billion by 2027; Surging Cyber Security Threats to Improve Sales Prospects, states Fortune Business... - January 25th, 2021
- Facebook has accepted that encryption will damage the child protection program from its platform - Digital Information World - January 25th, 2021
- Facebook admits encryption will harm efforts to prevent child exploitation - The Guardian - January 25th, 2021
- Disk Encryption Market Analysis And Demand With Forecast Overview To 2027 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 25th, 2021
- Following a Year of Privacy Worries and Security Breaches, Ring Implements End-to-End Encryption - CPO Magazine - January 25th, 2021
- Encryption Key Management Market 2021 to Perceive Biggest Trend and Opportunity by 2028 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 25th, 2021
- Outlook on the Endpoint Encryption Market to 2025 by Application, End-user an - Business-newsupdate.com - January 25th, 2021
- Covid-19 Positive Impact on Encryption Software Market 2021-2027 |Gemalto (Amsterdam,Netherlands), Symantec (California,US), Dell (Texas,US), Sophos... - January 25th, 2021
- Ring adds end-to-end video encryption to its doorbells and security cameras at CES 2021 - CNET - January 14th, 2021
- Encrypted Phones iPhone and Android Encryption - Reader's Digest - January 14th, 2021
- Millions Flock to Telegram and Signal as Fears Grow Over Big Tech - The New York Times - January 14th, 2021
- Signal, the encrypted messaging app and WhatsApp alternative, explained - Vox.com - January 14th, 2021
- Heres why Telegram does not offer end-to-end encryption by default - The Indian Express - January 14th, 2021
- Mobile Encryption Market Structure, Industry Inspection, and Forecast 2025 - Business-newsupdate.com - January 14th, 2021
- Comprehensive Report on Email Encryption Market 2020 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2030 - KSU | The Sentinel Newspaper - January 14th, 2021
- The World's Only Processor Family with Full Memory Encryption* - PCWorld - January 14th, 2021
- What is Signal? The basics of the most secure messaging app. - Mashable - January 14th, 2021
- WhatsApp chats are encrypted so how will Facebook use chat data for ads? This is how - India Today - January 14th, 2021
- Encryption Software Market Current and Future Industry Trends, 2020-2025 - AlgosOnline - January 14th, 2021
- What Is Signal, and Why Is Everyone Using It? - How-To Geek - January 14th, 2021
- Data Encryption Market Analysis and In-depth Research on Size, Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecasts 2026 - Murphy's Hockey Law - January 14th, 2021
- Elon Musk says to use Signal instead of Facebook. What to know about the messaging app - CNET - January 10th, 2021
- Global Document Encryption Software Market 2020 Industry Analysis, Key Drivers, Business Strategy, Opportunities and Forecast to 2025 The Sentinel... - January 10th, 2021
- Encryption Software Market Segmentation and Analysis by Recent Trends, Development and Growth by Regions to 2026 - Farming Sector - January 10th, 2021
- Homomorphic Encryption Market 2020 | COVID-19 Impact With Top Key Players, Trends, Overview, Insights And Outlook 2027 : Cosmian, CryptoExperts,... - January 10th, 2021
- Global Email Encryption Market Expected to reach highest CAGR by 2025 : Hewlett-Packard, Symantec Corporation, Cisco Systems, Mcafee (Intel), Trend... - January 10th, 2021
- Homomorhpic Encryption Market Latest Innovations, Analysis, Business Opportunities, Overview, Component, Industry Revenue and Forecast - LionLowdown - January 10th, 2021
- Homomorphic Encryption Market Forecast 2021-2027, Latest Trends and Opportunities|Microsoft (US), IBM Corporation (US), Galois Inc (US) - Farming... - January 10th, 2021
- Are We Heading Towards EU Legislation Banning End-to-End Encryption? - Lexology - December 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Trending Technologies, Industry Growth, Share, Opportunities, Developments And Forecast - LionLowdown - December 29th, 2020
- Signals famous encryption may have been cracked - TechRadar - December 29th, 2020
- AES Encryption Software Market 2021: Comprehensive Analysis and Growth Forecast - NeighborWebSJ - December 29th, 2020
- Encryption, zero trust and the quantum threat security predictions for 2021 - BetaNews - December 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market By Business Analysis, Industry Types, Demand, Capacity, Applications, Services, Innovations and Forecast 2025 - Farming... - December 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Size 2020 by Top Key Players, Global Trend, Types, Applications, Regional Demand, Forecast to 2027 - LionLowdown - December 29th, 2020
- How to Securely Send Sensitive Information over the Internet - TechBullion - December 29th, 2020
- In 2020, Congress Threatened Our Speech and Security With the EARN IT Act - EFF - December 29th, 2020
- Encryption Key Management Market Key Trends and how do they Impact the Specific Regions - NeighborWebSJ - December 29th, 2020
- The ACLU Is Suing For Info On The FBI's Encryption Breaking Capabilities - Gizmodo - December 29th, 2020
- Encrypting data is the key to a peaceful New Year (Includes interview) - Digital Journal - December 29th, 2020
- Proton's Calendar Platform With End-to-End Encryption Now Available as an Android App - News18 - December 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020: COVID19 Impact on Industry Growth, Trends, Top Manufacturer, Regional Analysis and Forecast to 2027 - The Monitor - December 29th, 2020
- The Same U.S. Government That Wants To Weaken Our Encryption Just Got Massively Hacked - Reason - December 15th, 2020
- How to Enable End-to-End Encryption in Google Messages - Lifehacker - December 15th, 2020
- Ransomware gangs are getting faster at encrypting networks. That will make them harder to stop - ZDNet - December 15th, 2020
- UK has not ordered 'backdoor access' to WhatsApp messages - but could issue injunction against Facebook's encryption plans - Sky News - December 15th, 2020
- From the bottom of the sea rose a piece of encrypted history. What were the Nazi Enigmas? - The Indian Express - December 15th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Software Market To Witness Huge Gains Over 2020-2026 - The Courier - December 15th, 2020
- Google Messages End-to-End Encryption Guide: How It Works on Android - Tech Times - December 15th, 2020
- Facebooks encryption could prevent MI5 and police from stopping terror attacks and child abuse - Telegraph.co.uk - December 15th, 2020
- S'pore seizes $5.3m in illicit funds linked to Canadian network used by crime syndicates - The Straits Times - December 15th, 2020
- Encrypted messaging could increase child abuse cases, report warns - E&T Magazine - December 9th, 2020
- A Balanced DNS Information Protection Strategy: Minimize at Root, TLD; Encrypt When Needed Elsewhere - CircleID - December 9th, 2020
- Protecting consumer data is leading driver for encryption in Middle East: report - Gulf Business - December 9th, 2020
- Insights on the Cloud Encryption Software Market 2020-2024: COVID-19 Industry Analysis, Market Trends, Market Growth, Opportunities and Forecast 2024... - December 9th, 2020
- Commercial Encryption Software Market Trends, Growth, Analysis, Opportunities and Overview by 2026 - Murphy's Hockey Law - December 9th, 2020
- Does opening a 'back door' to encrypted communications create a whole new raft of problems? How can firms promise privacy if there is official access?... - December 9th, 2020
- Enigma encryption machine used by Nazis in World War II found on bottom of ocean - ABC News - December 9th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 | Latest Trend, Swot Analysis, Covid-19 Impact And Forecast - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - December 9th, 2020
- Data Encryption Market Size with Business Opportunity, Challenges, Standardization, Competitive Intelligence and Regional Analysis - The... - December 9th, 2020
- COVID-19 Update: Global Encryption Software Market is Expected to Grow at a Healthy CAGR with Top players: Dell , Eset , Gemalto , IBM , Mcafee , etc.... - December 9th, 2020
- SSL-based threats remain prevalent and are becoming increasingly sophisticated. - The CyberWire - December 9th, 2020
- What Is the Signal Encryption Protocol? - WIRED - November 30th, 2020
- Data Protection | The Pros and Cons of End-to-End Encryption - DIGIT.FYI - November 30th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Overview, Growth, Types, Applications, Dynamics, Companies, Regions, & Forecast to 2026 - The Haitian-Caribbean News... - November 30th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market to Witness Astonishing Growth by 2027 | Dell , Eset , Gemalto and more - Cheshire Media - November 30th, 2020
- EU targets end-to-end encryption tools after rise in terror attacks - DIGIT.FYI - November 30th, 2020
- European Legislators Move to Eliminate End-to-End Encryption in Messaging Services Following Terror Attacks - Digital Information World - November 30th, 2020
- Facebook urged to end encryption to help cops stop paedophiles using app - The Sun - November 30th, 2020
- Inside the French governments mission to develop an encrypted messaging platform - NS Tech - November 30th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market Size, Key Manufacturers, Demand, Application And Opportunities By 2027 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020
- The tech and security backends that keep your data safe - Business MattersBusiness Matters - November 30th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Expected to Boost the Global Industry Growth in the Near Future - Cheshire Media - November 30th, 2020
- Commercial Encryption Software Market Will Generate Record Revenue by 2025 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020
- Symmetric Encryption Algorithms: Live Long & Encrypt - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - November 24th, 2020
- Google plans to test end-to-end encryption in Android messages - TechCrunch - November 24th, 2020
- Google Messages Set to Roll Out End-to-End Encryption - Infosecurity Magazine - November 24th, 2020