October 14, 2021 | 9:29am
MANILA, Philippines One of the most dangerous security vectors facing enterprises is also one of the least understood.
Research into Encrypted Traffic Threats shows that 41% of businesses do not have a solid understanding of the existence and nature of encrypted traffic threats, and the harm that they can cause.
However, encryption has gradually become one of the most substantial vehicles for cyber threats organizations now have to deal with.
Encrypted traffic became a potential hazard precisely because so much data is now encrypted. In 2016 just over a half (53%) of all web traffic was encrypted, but by 2019, that percentage had grown to a massive 87%, opening an opportunity that is almost the size of the entire Internets data for hackers to slip malicious code into enterprise networks.
The risk that encrypted traffic threats pose is simple; they are hard to see. Cybercriminals find this pathway to be one of the most effective ways to bypass firewalls, intrusion prevention systems, unified threat management, secure web gateways, data loss prevention, anti-malware and most other security solutions.
One way to protect against this is to deploy decryption solutions, but even here, there are some concerns, with 36% of those surveyed citing concern over data privacy, 29% worried about decryption causing performance bottlenecks and 18% worried about having a lack of available skills to manage such a security solution.
Consequently, nearly one-half (48%) of organizations have yet to implement decryption solutions.
The best way to address these issues is to have an automated solution that can proactively monitor and analyze encrypted data.
When the Czech Republics National Cyber and Information Security Agency sought a more robust way to fortify the countrys selected government institutions against modern advanced threats, it turned to Flowmon and the Flowmon Anomaly Detection System for threat-hunting capability.
The system uses 44 detection methods comprising 200+ algorithms to immediately spot and alert the IT teams of any anomalies that had been hidden in network traffic, encrypted or not. (More about the National Cyber and Information Security Agency experience here.)
This application of AI became a valuable source IT expertise that multiplied staff bandwidth to manage the solution and allowed for full and complex monitoring of the entire networked environment.
With Flowmon ADS in place, the institute has a comprehensive, yet noise-free overview of suspicious behaviors in the partner networks, flawless detection capability, and a platform for the validation of indicators of compromise.
Flowmons solution works at scale, too. GANT, a pan-European data network for the research and education community,is running one of the worlds largest data networks, and transfers over 1,000 terabytes of data per day over the GANT IP backbone.
For something of that scale, there is simply no way to manually monitor the entire network for aberrant data. With a redundant application of two Flowmon collectors deployed in parallel, GANT was able to have a pilot security solution to manage the data flow of this scale live in just a few hours.
With a few months of further testing, integration and algorithmic learning, the solution was then ready to protect GANTs entire network from encrypted data threats. (More about the GANT experience here.)
Uncertainty and a lack of understanding are driving the hesitancy for enterprises to adopt encrypted traffic threat response solutions.
Furthermore, for a response to this threat to be effective, it is critical that network operations and security operations (NetOps + SecOps = NetSecOps) work in collaboration, but according to the study, 40% of enterprises do not currently have these teams working closely together.
By adopting tools that are built with the NetSecOps philosophy in mind in order to foster collaboration between the two teams, companies can greatly cut down on incident resolution time and save expenditure on tools with functional overlap.
In 2020, Kemp Technologies announced the acquisition of Flowmon. In doing so, the company has been able to bring together holistic solutions that allow partners to become a one-stop-shop for robust network security.
We are excited to extend the value offered to customers in the areas of infrastructure security, network observability and automated incident response by welcoming Flowmon to the Kemp family, Kemp Technologies CEO Ray Downes said.
The expansion of Kemps portfolio to include Flowmons solutions will provide customers the ideal combination of network analysis, pre-emptive threat detection and workload delivery for optimal, uninterrupted user and application experience, he added.
Kemps two product families comprising the LoadMaster load balancer and the Flowmon NetSecOps suite allows companies to take full control of their digital environment, with load balancing, network performance monitoring and response solutions. The solution is easy to deploy and configure and boasts data on the dashboard within 30 minutes.
With government regulation and privacy concerns demanding that corporations show ever-greater responsibility around data and encryption, Flowmon and Kemp are proving to be an essential response in also protecting the network from cybercrime.
Kemp is currently offering Free Network Assessment. To learn more, email@example.com, call (+632) 8706 5592 or visitwww.acw-distribution.com.ph.
Encrypted Traffic Threats Research:https://www.flowmon.com/en/idg-research-encrypted-traffic-threats
- Metas Biggest Encrypted Messaging Mistake Was Its Promise - WIRED - December 3rd, 2021
- VeraCrypt 1.25 drops Windows 8.1 and 7, and Mac OS 10.8 and earlier support - Ghacks Technology News - December 3rd, 2021
- GBT is Enhancing qTerm's Cybersecurity Technology to Provide a Higher Level of Data Protection For its Users - GlobeNewswire - December 3rd, 2021
- NTT Announces Partnership With University Of Technology Sydney To Promote Smarter, Safer And More Secure Cities And First POC For Attribute-Based... - December 3rd, 2021
- What is Encryption? Definition, Types & Benefits | Fortinet - November 29th, 2021
- Decentralising end-to-end encryption with a new security protocol - The Hindu - November 29th, 2021
- Device encryption in Windows - November 29th, 2021
- How to Enable end-to-end Encryption for one-to-one Calls in Microsoft Teams - BollyInside - November 29th, 2021
- How the 5G industrial IoT will change different verticals - IT Brief New Zealand - November 29th, 2021
- Boxcryptor protects business data in Microsoft Teams with end-to-end encryption features - Help Net Security - November 25th, 2021
- NordLocker goes mobile: Encrypt your files on iOS and Android now with 60% off - GlobeNewswire - November 25th, 2021
- How Does End-To-End Encryption Works In WhatsApp? - Wales247 - November 25th, 2021
- Email Encryption Market Research Report by Type, by Component, by Industry, by Deployment, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 - Cumulative Impact of... - November 25th, 2021
- Yes, ransomware is your number one security nightmare. But heres how to sleep easy - The Register - November 25th, 2021
- How To Talk to Strangers Where No One Can See You - The Phoenix - Swarthmore College The Phoenix Online - November 20th, 2021
- How to Encrypt WhatsApp Chat Backups with End-to-End Encryption in iCloud - BollyInside - November 20th, 2021
- Vaultree's Executive Team and Advisors Drive Innovation in the Cybersecurity Industry - Yahoo Finance - November 20th, 2021
- Will you be ready when quantum breaks encryption? Steps to take now to prepare - Lexology - November 17th, 2021
- If cybercriminals cant see data because its encrypted, they have nothing to steal - The Register - November 17th, 2021
- Why You Should Encrypt Your WhatsApp Backups in iCloud - Lifehacker - November 17th, 2021
- Cape Privacy Forges Partnership with Snowflake, Enabling Financial Services Organizations to Use Encrypted Data for Predictive Modeling in the Cloud -... - November 17th, 2021
- UK Government awards 555k to help fund new ways to protect children within end-to-end encrypted environments - ResponseSource - November 17th, 2021
- WhatsApp starts rolling out end-to-end encryption for ... - November 15th, 2021
- Quantum Xchange Collaborates with Thales to Enable Quantum-Safe Key Delivery Across Any Distance, Over Any Network Media - Yahoo Finance - November 15th, 2021
- Thrio Reduces Risk of Data Loss with Global Redaction and Encryption - WFMZ Allentown - November 15th, 2021
- When it comes to securing systems against quantum computers, there is no one-size-fits-all solution - Help Net Security - November 15th, 2021
- Hacking group says it has found encryption keys needed to unlock the PS5 [Updated] - Ars Technica - November 15th, 2021
- Opposition Parties 'Surprised' by Lack of Encryption Amid Cyber Attack - VOCM - November 15th, 2021
- Everything Blockchain Announces OEM License of Its Zero Trust Data Access Platform - GlobeNewswire - November 15th, 2021
- Alexander: Turn off the more complex encryption in Windows 11 Pro - Minneapolis Star Tribune - November 8th, 2021
- Encryption, inequality and Zero DOM: 6 pocket listing takeaways - Inman - November 8th, 2021
- Apple Can Secretly Read Your WhatsApp MessagesThis Is How To Stop It - Forbes - November 8th, 2021
- The double-edged sword of encryption - TechRadar - November 8th, 2021
- An Open Letter to City Council and the City Manager on Police Encryption. Category: Public Comment from The Berkeley Daily Planet - Berkeley Daily... - November 8th, 2021
- PSD2 & Open Banking Biometric Authentication Market Research Report by Function, by End Users, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 - Cumulative... - November 8th, 2021
- WhatsApp to alert users with new security code. Read why - Mint - November 8th, 2021
- Cloud Encryption Service Market Size and Overview: 2021, Industry Share, Key Developments, Geographic Comparison, and Drivers till 2028 Bolivar... - November 8th, 2021
- Cloud Encryption Market Revenue, Share, Size and Trend Analysis 2021 to 2027 LSMedia - LSMedia - November 8th, 2021
- RCMP wants to use AI to learn passwords in investigations, but experts warn of privacy risks - The Globe and Mail - November 8th, 2021
- EXPLAINED: Why End-To-End Encryption May Not Mean That Nobody Can Read Your WhatsApp Chats - News18 - October 30th, 2021
- Only 17% of US Companies Encrypt Over Half of Their Cloud Data - WebProNews - October 30th, 2021
- Database Encryption Market To Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2020-2025 | Intel Security (Mcafee), Microsoft Corporation,... - October 30th, 2021
- Encryption Software Market Size To Record A Substantially CAGR Over 2017-2030 Puck77 - Puck77 - October 30th, 2021
- Growth Prospects of Cloud Encryption Gateways Market: Business Outlook 2021-2026 by Oracle, IBM, Microsoft, Salesforce, Vormetric, Ciphercloud, and... - October 30th, 2021
- Homomorphic Encryption Market Growth Overview of Top Companies : Microsoft,IBM Corporation,Galois,CryptoExperts,Enveil,Duality... - October 30th, 2021
- Messenger: from now on, voice and video calls will have end-to-end encryption MRT - Market Research Telecast - October 30th, 2021
- Encryption Key Management Market Growth Overview of Top Companies : Thales Group, IBM, Egnyte, Google, Alibaba Cloud Computing, Box, Amazon,... - October 30th, 2021
- Google Drive Alternatives: Improving Privacy and Security - TechSpot - October 30th, 2021
- Future Growth Of IoT Security Solution for Encryption Market by New Business Developments, Innovations, And Top Companies - Forecast To 2026 -... - October 30th, 2021
- If WhatsApp chats are end-to-end encrypted, how are personal chats of celebs leaking? - BGR India - October 30th, 2021
- WhatsApp rolls out encryption for chats backed up in the cloud - Mashable - October 17th, 2021
- WhatsApp now lets users encrypt their chat backups in the cloud - TechCrunch - October 17th, 2021
- Meet the Alliance for Encryption in Latin America and the Caribbean - EFF - October 17th, 2021
- Apples plan to scan images will allow governments into smartphones - The Guardian - October 17th, 2021
- WhatsApp to bring in encryption for backup chats after privacy fears - The Guardian - October 15th, 2021
- WhatsApp end-to-end encrypted backups are rolling out on both Android and iOS - GSMArena.com news - GSMArena.com - October 15th, 2021
- Encryption Management Solutions Market 2021 : Industry Analysis ,Size, Share, Revenue, Prominent Players, Developing Technologies, Tendencies and... - October 15th, 2021
- TLS Support Redis - October 12th, 2021
- Signal >> Documentation - October 12th, 2021
- Encryption Consulting announces their first-ever virtual conference - "Encryption Consulting Virtual conference 2021." - Tyler Morning... - October 12th, 2021
- [Update: Rolling out] WhatsApp adds end-to-end encryption for Android cloud backups - 9to5Google - October 12th, 2021
- Homomorphic Encryption Market New Coming Industry to Witness Great Growth Opportunities in Coming Years From 2021 to 2027: Microsoft (US), IBM... - October 12th, 2021
- SmartKargo Incorporates EDIfly Advanced Aviation Messaging At No Cost for Customers of its E-Commerce Logistics Solution - Yahoo Finance - October 12th, 2021
- No outages, no data leaks: The new WhatsApp killer built on the blockchain creates privacy-focused encrypted messenger - Cointelegraph - October 12th, 2021
- Mosyle's $ 16M Series A Drives Growth by Launching the Mosyle Business with the Market's First Encrypted DNS Filtering and Security Solution -... - October 6th, 2021
- Tips to Secure and Encrypt your WIFI Network Security - H2S Media - October 6th, 2021
- Data Encryption Standard (DES)? - All You Need to Know | Techfunnel - TechFunnel - October 4th, 2021
- XSOC CORP Recognized by CyberSecurity Breakthrough Awards Program for Overall Encryption Solution of the Year - Business Wire - October 4th, 2021
- Encryption: Why security threats coast under the radar - Express Computer - October 4th, 2021
- Hardware Encryption Devices Market 2021 Technology Development, Key Manufacturers, Forecast Based on Major Drivers and Trends Up to 2027 - Digital... - October 4th, 2021
- Container security without governance is neither secure nor governed - The Register - October 4th, 2021
- Sectigo Certificate Manager Wins 2021 CyberSecurity Breakthrough Award for Overall Encryption Solution Provider of the Year - PRNewswire - October 4th, 2021
- Customs and Border Protection Signs Major Contract With Amazon-Owned Encrypted Chat App Wickr - Gizmodo - October 4th, 2021
- Encryption cant be used as excuse to deny sharing details to law enforcement: Govt - The Financial Express - October 4th, 2021
- Facebook announces WhatsApp end-to-end encrypted (E2EE) backups - Techiexpert.com - TechiExpert.com - October 4th, 2021
- Bluefin Issues New Payment Security Brief on PCI-validated P2PE for Petroleum and Convenience Stores - PR Web - October 4th, 2021
- Get a lifetime of easy, automatic encryption for all of the files on your computer for just $30 - ZDNet - September 24th, 2021
- Tide encryption is ready to end the cyber breach pandemic - TechCrunch - September 24th, 2021
- The FBI has kept the presence of the encryption key secret from Casey for three weeks. - Cheraw Chronicle - September 24th, 2021
- Braves non-tracking, browser-based video conferencing tool is out of beta - TechCrunch - September 24th, 2021