Whatsapp is going to bring an end to end encryption for the cloud backup, as revealed by Mark Zuckerberg in his recent post on Facebook. The feature will be offering both the security and privacy in the cloud backup.
Whatsapp is now going to bring End to end encryption cloud backup very soon in the market. End to end encryption cloud backup will be going to be released as an optional feature. It is a new feature that is going to protect the chat backup of users and give them strong security as well as privacy from any third party attacks.
As WhatsApp has been offering end-to-end encryption (E2EE) in messages since 2016, this new latest recent update is much-needed growth for the company. It will bring much-needed security features for the users in backing up their private chat and data via an end to end encrypted backup to the cloud-like Google Drive. The feature is password protected as well. With the help of an end to end encryption, no third parties can look into the users private Whatsapp data backup even if the backup is created or stored in Google Drive or iCloud.
The CEO of Facebook, Mark Zuckerberg, has informed in his recent Facebook post. He shared
Were adding another layer of privacy and security to WhatsApp: an end-to-end encryption option for the backups people choose to store in Google Drive or iCloud. WhatsApp is the first global messaging service at this scale to offer end-to-end encrypted messaging and backups, and getting there was a really hard technical challenge that required an entirely new framework for key storage and cloud storage across operating systems.
WhatsApp global chief executive officer, Will Cathcart took to Twitter to say, This has been years in the making. Were taking advantage of development in hardware storage to safely store your backup encryption key in a vault no one else can access. Were providing options to remember a 64-bit key or choose a password we do not know and cannot access. Neither can Apple or Google.
This new backup encryption brings on a brand new coating of security, protection and privacy for Whatsapp users. This coating will soon be in working and will be adding more thickness to the security and privacy of users.
This new feature is an optional feature. It will be offered as an option to which users will going to have permit manually on the chat messaging application, Whatsapp. It is going to be available for both iOS and Android users in the upcoming weeks, as Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg revealed in a blog post.
This secured coating of privacy is to be permitted via password by the users on Whatsapp. The users have to create a password while enabling end to end encryption cloud backup. The password needs to be highly remembered by the users; it will be unknown to Whatsapp. Both users would be able to recover the data in case the device is either lost or stolen; there is an option for recovering through the hardware security module (HSM) backup key vault. HSM carries out several encrypted password verification attempts and making it persistently inaccessible on the multiple unsuccessful attempts to access it.
This security measures provide protection against brute force attempts to retrieve the key, says Mark Zuckerberg. If the user uses a 64-bit encryption key, they have to remember it correctly; this key is not sent to the HSM backup vault key.
End-to-End Encryption Backup Alike Messages
This end to end encryption backup will be going to be working a like end to end encrypted messages security. This end to end encryption will be protecting chat messages as well as videos and photos.
Furthermore, Whatsapp will also going to duplicate your key five times, storing each and every copy in five different data centres across the several geographies, effectively ensuring that if one data centre suffers an outage, you can still access your chat history.
Although Whatsapp latest privacy and security measure is welcome, concerns still swirl over the kind of information it shares with Facebook and Facebooks third-party companies specifically relating to the metadata it collects.
Some other messaging applications like Signal, for instance, have entirely circumvented the issue of users chats becoming compromised by not storing any of them on cloud backups at all. Moreover, for those insistent on having a secure and safe backup of their chats, Whatsapp represents the best option.
- NetApp ONTAP Achieves Validation from NSA for Security and Encryption - Database Trends and Applications - January 24th, 2022
- Attack on the Red Cross, UK against end-to-end encryption and other cybersecurity developments - The Times Hub - January 24th, 2022
- Stop email tracking with encrypted email from ProtonMail - Geeky Gadgets - January 24th, 2022
- NSA gains new cybersecurity authorities over national security systems - SC Media - January 24th, 2022
- UK Government Apparently Hoping It Can Regulate End-To-End Encryption Out Of Existence - Techdirt - January 12th, 2022
- Android Encryption on the rise: Do I need To encrypt my smartphone? - Phandroid - News for Android - January 12th, 2022
- The Next Evolution of the Database Sharding Architecture - InfoQ.com - January 12th, 2022
- Encryption Software Market Scope and overview, with Highest growth in the near future by leading key players - Taiwan News - January 12th, 2022
- CGV Research | Why Solana May Become the iOS of the Encrypted World? - NewsBTC - January 12th, 2022
- Swiss Army Bans WhatsApp And Other Foreign Encrypted Messaging Services - Lowyat.NET - January 12th, 2022
- Organic aggregates: new insights on white light - EurekAlert - January 12th, 2022
- You'll have to spell out an encryption law - BollyInside - January 12th, 2022
- NEC develops secure biometric authentication tech to enable certification with encrypted face information - Japan Today - December 22nd, 2021
- Experts warn against Originator Traceability Proposals that weaken Encryption - ThePrint - December 22nd, 2021
- Encrypt your emails from end to end for a lifetime with this software - TechRepublic - December 22nd, 2021
- Barrowford man who used encrypted phones to deal drugs jailed for more than 11 years - Burnley Express - December 22nd, 2021
- 'I'm a big believer in encryption technology,' says the former chairman of the US SEC. - BollyInside - December 22nd, 2021
- 5 upcoming WhatsApp features: New call interface, quick replies and more - The Indian Express - December 22nd, 2021
- Cloud Encryption Technology Market Growth Opportunities, Driving Factors by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast Analysis to 2027 -... - December 22nd, 2021
- Metas Biggest Encrypted Messaging Mistake Was Its Promise - WIRED - December 3rd, 2021
- VeraCrypt 1.25 drops Windows 8.1 and 7, and Mac OS 10.8 and earlier support - Ghacks Technology News - December 3rd, 2021
- GBT is Enhancing qTerm's Cybersecurity Technology to Provide a Higher Level of Data Protection For its Users - GlobeNewswire - December 3rd, 2021
- What is Encryption? Definition, Types & Benefits | Fortinet - November 29th, 2021
- Decentralising end-to-end encryption with a new security protocol - The Hindu - November 29th, 2021
- Device encryption in Windows - November 29th, 2021
- How to Enable end-to-end Encryption for one-to-one Calls in Microsoft Teams - BollyInside - November 29th, 2021
- How the 5G industrial IoT will change different verticals - IT Brief New Zealand - November 29th, 2021
- Boxcryptor protects business data in Microsoft Teams with end-to-end encryption features - Help Net Security - November 25th, 2021
- NordLocker goes mobile: Encrypt your files on iOS and Android now with 60% off - GlobeNewswire - November 25th, 2021
- How Does End-To-End Encryption Works In WhatsApp? - Wales247 - November 25th, 2021
- Email Encryption Market Research Report by Type, by Component, by Industry, by Deployment, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 - Cumulative Impact of... - November 25th, 2021
- Yes, ransomware is your number one security nightmare. But heres how to sleep easy - The Register - November 25th, 2021
- How To Talk to Strangers Where No One Can See You - The Phoenix - Swarthmore College The Phoenix Online - November 20th, 2021
- How to Encrypt WhatsApp Chat Backups with End-to-End Encryption in iCloud - BollyInside - November 20th, 2021
- Vaultree's Executive Team and Advisors Drive Innovation in the Cybersecurity Industry - Yahoo Finance - November 20th, 2021
- Will you be ready when quantum breaks encryption? Steps to take now to prepare - Lexology - November 17th, 2021
- If cybercriminals cant see data because its encrypted, they have nothing to steal - The Register - November 17th, 2021
- Why You Should Encrypt Your WhatsApp Backups in iCloud - Lifehacker - November 17th, 2021
- Cape Privacy Forges Partnership with Snowflake, Enabling Financial Services Organizations to Use Encrypted Data for Predictive Modeling in the Cloud -... - November 17th, 2021
- UK Government awards 555k to help fund new ways to protect children within end-to-end encrypted environments - ResponseSource - November 17th, 2021
- WhatsApp starts rolling out end-to-end encryption for ... - November 15th, 2021
- Quantum Xchange Collaborates with Thales to Enable Quantum-Safe Key Delivery Across Any Distance, Over Any Network Media - Yahoo Finance - November 15th, 2021
- Thrio Reduces Risk of Data Loss with Global Redaction and Encryption - WFMZ Allentown - November 15th, 2021
- When it comes to securing systems against quantum computers, there is no one-size-fits-all solution - Help Net Security - November 15th, 2021
- Hacking group says it has found encryption keys needed to unlock the PS5 [Updated] - Ars Technica - November 15th, 2021
- Opposition Parties 'Surprised' by Lack of Encryption Amid Cyber Attack - VOCM - November 15th, 2021
- Everything Blockchain Announces OEM License of Its Zero Trust Data Access Platform - GlobeNewswire - November 15th, 2021
- Alexander: Turn off the more complex encryption in Windows 11 Pro - Minneapolis Star Tribune - November 8th, 2021
- Encryption, inequality and Zero DOM: 6 pocket listing takeaways - Inman - November 8th, 2021
- Apple Can Secretly Read Your WhatsApp MessagesThis Is How To Stop It - Forbes - November 8th, 2021
- The double-edged sword of encryption - TechRadar - November 8th, 2021
- An Open Letter to City Council and the City Manager on Police Encryption. Category: Public Comment from The Berkeley Daily Planet - Berkeley Daily... - November 8th, 2021
- PSD2 & Open Banking Biometric Authentication Market Research Report by Function, by End Users, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 - Cumulative... - November 8th, 2021
- WhatsApp to alert users with new security code. Read why - Mint - November 8th, 2021
- Cloud Encryption Service Market Size and Overview: 2021, Industry Share, Key Developments, Geographic Comparison, and Drivers till 2028 Bolivar... - November 8th, 2021
- Cloud Encryption Market Revenue, Share, Size and Trend Analysis 2021 to 2027 LSMedia - LSMedia - November 8th, 2021
- RCMP wants to use AI to learn passwords in investigations, but experts warn of privacy risks - The Globe and Mail - November 8th, 2021
- EXPLAINED: Why End-To-End Encryption May Not Mean That Nobody Can Read Your WhatsApp Chats - News18 - October 30th, 2021
- Only 17% of US Companies Encrypt Over Half of Their Cloud Data - WebProNews - October 30th, 2021
- Database Encryption Market To Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2020-2025 | Intel Security (Mcafee), Microsoft Corporation,... - October 30th, 2021
- Encryption Software Market Size To Record A Substantially CAGR Over 2017-2030 Puck77 - Puck77 - October 30th, 2021
- Growth Prospects of Cloud Encryption Gateways Market: Business Outlook 2021-2026 by Oracle, IBM, Microsoft, Salesforce, Vormetric, Ciphercloud, and... - October 30th, 2021
- Homomorphic Encryption Market Growth Overview of Top Companies : Microsoft,IBM Corporation,Galois,CryptoExperts,Enveil,Duality... - October 30th, 2021
- Messenger: from now on, voice and video calls will have end-to-end encryption MRT - Market Research Telecast - October 30th, 2021
- Encryption Key Management Market Growth Overview of Top Companies : Thales Group, IBM, Egnyte, Google, Alibaba Cloud Computing, Box, Amazon,... - October 30th, 2021
- Google Drive Alternatives: Improving Privacy and Security - TechSpot - October 30th, 2021
- Future Growth Of IoT Security Solution for Encryption Market by New Business Developments, Innovations, And Top Companies - Forecast To 2026 -... - October 30th, 2021
- If WhatsApp chats are end-to-end encrypted, how are personal chats of celebs leaking? - BGR India - October 30th, 2021
- WhatsApp rolls out encryption for chats backed up in the cloud - Mashable - October 17th, 2021
- WhatsApp now lets users encrypt their chat backups in the cloud - TechCrunch - October 17th, 2021
- Meet the Alliance for Encryption in Latin America and the Caribbean - EFF - October 17th, 2021
- Apples plan to scan images will allow governments into smartphones - The Guardian - October 17th, 2021
- WhatsApp to bring in encryption for backup chats after privacy fears - The Guardian - October 15th, 2021
- WhatsApp end-to-end encrypted backups are rolling out on both Android and iOS - GSMArena.com news - GSMArena.com - October 15th, 2021
- Encryption: Why security threats coast under the radar - Philstar.com - October 15th, 2021
- Encryption Management Solutions Market 2021 : Industry Analysis ,Size, Share, Revenue, Prominent Players, Developing Technologies, Tendencies and... - October 15th, 2021
- TLS Support Redis - October 12th, 2021
- Signal >> Documentation - October 12th, 2021
- Encryption Consulting announces their first-ever virtual conference - "Encryption Consulting Virtual conference 2021." - Tyler Morning... - October 12th, 2021
- [Update: Rolling out] WhatsApp adds end-to-end encryption for Android cloud backups - 9to5Google - October 12th, 2021