In an age of eroding online privacy and increasing corporate surveillance, many are looking for a good alternative to Google Drive for their documents and files. After all, why would you want to store your private data with the worlds largest advertising company? This is especially true when you consider that Google has a financial incentive to collect and analyze your data.
Editors Note:Guest author Heinrich Long is the editor behind Restore Privacy, a blog dedicated to inform about best online privacy practices, secure your electronic devices, unblock restricted content and defeat censorship.
Even if finding a good Google Drive alternative has not been a top priority, it is another service worth replacing if you are planning to fully restore your privacy. And by selecting a reliable and secure Google Drive alternative, you will have more control of your data. You will also be supporting some great privacy-focused businesses while steering clear of surveillance capitalism.
First, we do need to point something out. Google Drive keeps your data secure against outsiders. However, this is a distinction from privacy. Thats because Google themselves can read your data if they wish. Here is what the Google Drive Additional Terms of Service, dated March 31, 2020, has to say on the subject (emphasis added):
We may review content to determine whether it is illegal or violates our Program Policies, and we may remove or refuse to display content that we reasonably believe violates our policies or the law. But that does not necessarily mean that we review content, so please dont assume that we do.
What? It seems to be saying that they want you to act like your data is private even though they can look at it whenever they feel the need to do so. We dont actually provide privacy but you should pretend that we do?
Unless you are part of an organization where you are required to use Google Drive, it should be relatively easy to switch to a more private cloud storage service. Replacing it will be an easy step toward a long-term goal of replacing all your Google apps and services.
Finding a secure cloud storage service takes on more importance when you think about all the sensitive data you are storing in the cloud. Add in the number of nasty cloud storage hacks that have occurred over the years and you might start feeling a sense of urgency.
Moving away from Google Drive is complicated by the fact that it works with various other services such as Google Docs, Calendar, and more. If you use the full suite of Google apps, replacing Drive could be challenging. However, if you have some flexibility in the additional apps and services you use, I can show you some secure cloud storage options that can act as Google Drive alternatives that also keep your data private.
Tresorit is our pick for the best Google Drive alternative today. It offers a full set of features that could be useful for individuals and teams, as well as businesses. You also get end-to-end zero knowledge encryption that ensures your data is really private and secure even from the people at Tresorit.
If you are on an individual plan, your data will be stored in Ireland. But if you spring for a business account, you can select from several jurisdictions to meet your regulatory and business requirements. Tresorit has also been audited to confirm that the product delivers on its promises. Ernst & Young did it in 2019 and rated Tresorit as a trustworthy service.
Tresorit doesnt connect to the same range of business apps that Google Drive does, but it does integrate with Outlook, Gmail, and Active Directory, making it easy to use Tresorit with your existing infrastructure.
Their business-oriented plans also give you tools for managing users and their data across the organization. When you factor in Tresorit compliance with HIPAA, GDPR, FedRAMP, and numerous other data protection regulations, you get a secure cloud storage offering that works in a business environment.
Tresorit isnt just resting on its past achievements, either. One recent addition to the product was Tresorit Drive 2.0. Tresorit Drive allows you to access and edit cloud-only files without downloading or syncing them. It is available for Windows and Mac OS.
Tresorit is a great Google Drive replacement for business users but might be overkill for individual users. The free plan offered by the company is very limited, while individuals will probably have little use for the business features while still needing to pay the products relatively high subscription fee.
Note: Effective July 6, Swiss Post acquired a majority stake of Tresorit. According to the company, the acquisition wont change much from the perspective of users like you and me. Well keep an eye on the situation and let you know if anything significant comes up. Check out Restore Privacy's complete Tresorit review.
This Canadian company is one of the best alternatives to Google Drive for both individuals and businesses. The service has a zero-knowledge infrastructure that looks really solid and features that will appeal to any audience. The Sync.com free plan could be ideal for individuals who can get by with only a few gigabytes of storage (5 GB) and dont need a Linux sync client. The company stores all your data in Canada.
Sync.com has a number of strong features for businesses. It has capable subscription plans with the ability to do things like view Office documents directly from the web, send and receive files securely, as well as unlimited storage and bandwidth. The plans are compliant with industry standards such as HIPAA, GDPR, and PIPEDA.
Sync.com provides a range of file sharing options.
There are two potential drawbacks to consider if you want to use Sync.com for business. One is that you need to store all your data in Sync.coms Sync folder. This could result in incompatibilities with other crucial business apps and services. The other potential drawback is that the company has not published any third-party audit results yet. Learn more about this Google Drive alternative in Restore Privacy's Sync.com review.
If you use Google Drive as an individual, rather than a team member or an employee, MEGA could be the Google Drive replacement you want. Among its Drive-like benefits, MEGA provides desktop and mobile clients for every major operating system, including Linux.
Like Tresorit, MEGAs end-to-end, zero knowledge encryption means not even MEGA themselves can read your data. They also offer a generous free plan that includes 15 GB of storage (which you can boost to as much as to 50 GB if you complete certain tasks). One thing that hurts this service is that it has daily data transfer limits that can leave changes unsynced until the next day if you try to move too much data at once.
While MEGA has a lot to offer for individuals, it doesnt look as good if you are looking for secure business storage. Their business plans can include unlimited storage and transfer capacity, plus built-in chat, contacts, and file preview capabilities. But Tresorit and other services like pCloud have stronger corporate offerings.
Another thing to be aware of with MEGA is that New Zealand law forces MEGA to include some worrying clauses in their ToS. Youll want to study the ToS extra carefully if you are considering MEGA for corporate cloud storage. Learn more in Restore Privacy's MEGA cloud storage review.
Compared to the other Google Drive alternatives were looking at here, NordLocker is pretty bare bones. Thats because it is really a file encryption system with cloud storage capabilities. If you are looking for secure Google Drive replacement, the NordLocker Premium plan offers 500 GB of storage at a very reasonable price.
Consider NordLocker for business or personal use if you need the maximum possible security for your cloud storage. Conventional secure cloud storage services like Tresorit or Sync.com encrypt your data whenever it is in motion or when it is on their servers. No one, not even them, can decrypt your data in these circumstances.
But conventional cloud storage services do not encrypt the data when it is at rest on your devices. If a malicious actor gains access to your device, they will also have full access to your files as well.
NordLocker gives you the flexibility to create encrypted lockers on your device or in the cloud.
NordLocker eliminates this problem. You put files and folders you want to store in the cloud into a special folder called a locker. Lockers are encrypted by default, even on your device. Unless you open NordLocker (which is password-protected) your files remain safely encrypted at all times. This results in an additional level of protection beyond the other products profiled here.
NordLocker has one other nice trick on offer. The service provides its own secure cloud storage for lockers just like everyone else. But NordLocker lockers are also compatible with any other cloud storage service. Thats a big deal. It means you can store lockers in other cloud storage services (including Google Drive), and know that your data is secure. Learn more about this versatile tool in Restore Privacy's complete NordLocker review.
Nextcloud is a free and open source suite of client-server software used to create and manage file hosting services. Depending on how it is configured, Nextcloud can serve as a secure cloud storage service for individuals, a functionally similar replacement for Google Drive in the enterprise, and anything in between.
If you have the technical expertise, you can host Nextcloud on your own servers, which offers the potential for a very secure configuration. Or you can use Nextcloud through a third-party service provider to eliminate setup and maintenance headaches. Nextcloud is also very versatile and expandable.
One example of this is Nextcloud Hub. The hub allows you (and your team) to:
Given what weve seen so far, Nextcloud looks like it should be one of the top Google Drive alternatives. There are, however, a couple of drawbacks. First, Nextclouds end-to-end (E2E) encryption is not fully functional yet. This makes the ability to host your Nextcloud system within a secure firewall very important.
Another issue is that you need to be alert to how secure and private each of the components you connect to Nextcloud is. Using Nextcloud as a secure and private alternative to Google Drive requires some technical experience. Even so, Nextcloud seems to have a bright future as a powerful, flexible, and free cloud storage solution once they get their E2E encryption solution completely ironed out. Heres Restore Privacy's full review of Nextcloud.
Here are some detailed answers to some of the additional questions people have about alternatives to Google Drive.
Does it matter where the company is located?
Where a Google Drive alternative is based matters. If it is based in a country that doesnt provide strong privacy protections, the company may be forced to hand over your private data to the government or other third parties. In many cases, the company will be legally required to turn over your data, regardless of what their Terms of Service or other policies say.
However, the Google Drive alternatives we recommend feature zero knowledge, end-to-end (E2E) encryption. What this means is that no one, not even the company that runs the service, can read your files. The file encryption used by modern services is believed by cryptographers to be secure against cracking by even the most powerful current computers. So while it is best if your files are never turned over to anyone, the data within them will be safe if that does happen.
There is one other thing to discuss. The fact that a snoop cant read your encrypted files doesnt necessarily mean that there is no usable data available about your files. The service may still have access to:
You should think carefully about the threats you want to protect your data against (your threat model) before evaluating alternatives to Google Drive.
Does it matter where my data is stored?
Yes, it matters. But with the secure, private cloud storage services we recommend as Google Drive replacements, it doesnt matter too much. If youve read the main article, you are now aware that your data is not always stored in the same country your cloud storage service is located in. For example, Tresorit is based in Switzerland, but it stores your data in Ireland or various other countries. Meanwhile, Sync.com is based in Canada and stores your data there.
The laws of the country that your data is stored in can affect your data and make it available to the local government or other organizations. But once again, since the Google Drive alternatives we recommend provide strong security (Nextcloud being a current exception) the local authorities wont be able to read your files even if they do grab a copy of them. At best, they will be able to get the same kinds of metadata that we listed in the previous question.
That means that even though your data is secure in any location, if you have the option, go with a service that is both based in, and stores your data in, a privacy friendly jurisdiction.
Why cant I use a free account?
While using a free Google Drive alternative sounds appealing, there are several good reasons to pay for your secure cloud storage. They include:
The best use for a free account is to test the service. That way, you can be sure the service will meet your needs before investing money into it.
Should I use a VPN with my Google Drive alternative?
You should always use a VPN with the cloud storage service you choose as a Google Drive alternative. While secure services like those we describe prevent prying eyes from reading the data in your files, there is still metadata that can be recorded about you. Services often use your IP address to know whose metadata they have collected.
Their gathering of your personal data helps them but offers no real benefits for you. If you use a VPN to connect to a Google Drive alternative, that service wont be able to see your real IP address and location. Instead, they will see the IP address of the VPN server you are using. Since each IP address of a popular VPN is shared by many other VPN users, it will be very hard for anyone snooping on your connection to be able to associate your online activities with your online address.
Whats the difference between end-to-end encryption and zero knowledge encryption?
People are sometimes confused about the difference between end-to-end (E2E) encryption and zero knowledge encryption. Heres a quick explanation:
E2E encryption means that messages or data are encrypted before they leave your device and remain encrypted until they arrive at their destination. Theyre encrypted from one end of the connection to the other.
Zero knowledge encryption takes things one step further. With zero knowledge encryption, the user controls the encryption keys. The cloud storage service (or whatever other service you are talking about) doesnt know the encryption keys and has no way to find out what they are. In other words, the service has zero knowledge of the encryption keys and therefore cannot read your data. Period.
As mentioned earlier, a prime requirement for these cloud storage services is that they provide the privacy and security that Google Drive does not. Time and again, cloud storage services have proven to be prime targets for hackers from run-of-the-mill creeps to high-powered hacking teams backed by national governments.
Finally, take any services you like out for a test drive. Spend a few days or weeks testing it to see if it really meets your specific needs as a Google Drive alternative. Were confident that one of these will meet your needs and let you move away from Google Drive with little stress.
See the original post here:
Google Drive Alternatives: Improving Privacy and Security - TechSpot
- UK Government Apparently Hoping It Can Regulate End-To-End Encryption Out Of Existence - Techdirt - January 12th, 2022
- Android Encryption on the rise: Do I need To encrypt my smartphone? - Phandroid - News for Android - January 12th, 2022
- The Next Evolution of the Database Sharding Architecture - InfoQ.com - January 12th, 2022
- Encryption Software Market Scope and overview, with Highest growth in the near future by leading key players - Taiwan News - January 12th, 2022
- CGV Research | Why Solana May Become the iOS of the Encrypted World? - NewsBTC - January 12th, 2022
- Swiss Army Bans WhatsApp And Other Foreign Encrypted Messaging Services - Lowyat.NET - January 12th, 2022
- Organic aggregates: new insights on white light - EurekAlert - January 12th, 2022
- You'll have to spell out an encryption law - BollyInside - January 12th, 2022
- NEC develops secure biometric authentication tech to enable certification with encrypted face information - Japan Today - December 22nd, 2021
- Experts warn against Originator Traceability Proposals that weaken Encryption - ThePrint - December 22nd, 2021
- Encrypt your emails from end to end for a lifetime with this software - TechRepublic - December 22nd, 2021
- Barrowford man who used encrypted phones to deal drugs jailed for more than 11 years - Burnley Express - December 22nd, 2021
- 'I'm a big believer in encryption technology,' says the former chairman of the US SEC. - BollyInside - December 22nd, 2021
- 5 upcoming WhatsApp features: New call interface, quick replies and more - The Indian Express - December 22nd, 2021
- Cloud Encryption Technology Market Growth Opportunities, Driving Factors by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast Analysis to 2027 -... - December 22nd, 2021
- Metas Biggest Encrypted Messaging Mistake Was Its Promise - WIRED - December 3rd, 2021
- VeraCrypt 1.25 drops Windows 8.1 and 7, and Mac OS 10.8 and earlier support - Ghacks Technology News - December 3rd, 2021
- GBT is Enhancing qTerm's Cybersecurity Technology to Provide a Higher Level of Data Protection For its Users - GlobeNewswire - December 3rd, 2021
- What is Encryption? Definition, Types & Benefits | Fortinet - November 29th, 2021
- Decentralising end-to-end encryption with a new security protocol - The Hindu - November 29th, 2021
- Device encryption in Windows - November 29th, 2021
- How to Enable end-to-end Encryption for one-to-one Calls in Microsoft Teams - BollyInside - November 29th, 2021
- How the 5G industrial IoT will change different verticals - IT Brief New Zealand - November 29th, 2021
- Boxcryptor protects business data in Microsoft Teams with end-to-end encryption features - Help Net Security - November 25th, 2021
- NordLocker goes mobile: Encrypt your files on iOS and Android now with 60% off - GlobeNewswire - November 25th, 2021
- How Does End-To-End Encryption Works In WhatsApp? - Wales247 - November 25th, 2021
- Email Encryption Market Research Report by Type, by Component, by Industry, by Deployment, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 - Cumulative Impact of... - November 25th, 2021
- Yes, ransomware is your number one security nightmare. But heres how to sleep easy - The Register - November 25th, 2021
- How To Talk to Strangers Where No One Can See You - The Phoenix - Swarthmore College The Phoenix Online - November 20th, 2021
- How to Encrypt WhatsApp Chat Backups with End-to-End Encryption in iCloud - BollyInside - November 20th, 2021
- Vaultree's Executive Team and Advisors Drive Innovation in the Cybersecurity Industry - Yahoo Finance - November 20th, 2021
- Will you be ready when quantum breaks encryption? Steps to take now to prepare - Lexology - November 17th, 2021
- If cybercriminals cant see data because its encrypted, they have nothing to steal - The Register - November 17th, 2021
- Why You Should Encrypt Your WhatsApp Backups in iCloud - Lifehacker - November 17th, 2021
- Cape Privacy Forges Partnership with Snowflake, Enabling Financial Services Organizations to Use Encrypted Data for Predictive Modeling in the Cloud -... - November 17th, 2021
- UK Government awards 555k to help fund new ways to protect children within end-to-end encrypted environments - ResponseSource - November 17th, 2021
- WhatsApp starts rolling out end-to-end encryption for ... - November 15th, 2021
- Quantum Xchange Collaborates with Thales to Enable Quantum-Safe Key Delivery Across Any Distance, Over Any Network Media - Yahoo Finance - November 15th, 2021
- Thrio Reduces Risk of Data Loss with Global Redaction and Encryption - WFMZ Allentown - November 15th, 2021
- When it comes to securing systems against quantum computers, there is no one-size-fits-all solution - Help Net Security - November 15th, 2021
- Hacking group says it has found encryption keys needed to unlock the PS5 [Updated] - Ars Technica - November 15th, 2021
- Opposition Parties 'Surprised' by Lack of Encryption Amid Cyber Attack - VOCM - November 15th, 2021
- Everything Blockchain Announces OEM License of Its Zero Trust Data Access Platform - GlobeNewswire - November 15th, 2021
- Alexander: Turn off the more complex encryption in Windows 11 Pro - Minneapolis Star Tribune - November 8th, 2021
- Encryption, inequality and Zero DOM: 6 pocket listing takeaways - Inman - November 8th, 2021
- Apple Can Secretly Read Your WhatsApp MessagesThis Is How To Stop It - Forbes - November 8th, 2021
- The double-edged sword of encryption - TechRadar - November 8th, 2021
- An Open Letter to City Council and the City Manager on Police Encryption. Category: Public Comment from The Berkeley Daily Planet - Berkeley Daily... - November 8th, 2021
- PSD2 & Open Banking Biometric Authentication Market Research Report by Function, by End Users, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 - Cumulative... - November 8th, 2021
- WhatsApp to alert users with new security code. Read why - Mint - November 8th, 2021
- Cloud Encryption Service Market Size and Overview: 2021, Industry Share, Key Developments, Geographic Comparison, and Drivers till 2028 Bolivar... - November 8th, 2021
- Cloud Encryption Market Revenue, Share, Size and Trend Analysis 2021 to 2027 LSMedia - LSMedia - November 8th, 2021
- RCMP wants to use AI to learn passwords in investigations, but experts warn of privacy risks - The Globe and Mail - November 8th, 2021
- EXPLAINED: Why End-To-End Encryption May Not Mean That Nobody Can Read Your WhatsApp Chats - News18 - October 30th, 2021
- Only 17% of US Companies Encrypt Over Half of Their Cloud Data - WebProNews - October 30th, 2021
- Database Encryption Market To Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2020-2025 | Intel Security (Mcafee), Microsoft Corporation,... - October 30th, 2021
- Encryption Software Market Size To Record A Substantially CAGR Over 2017-2030 Puck77 - Puck77 - October 30th, 2021
- Growth Prospects of Cloud Encryption Gateways Market: Business Outlook 2021-2026 by Oracle, IBM, Microsoft, Salesforce, Vormetric, Ciphercloud, and... - October 30th, 2021
- Homomorphic Encryption Market Growth Overview of Top Companies : Microsoft,IBM Corporation,Galois,CryptoExperts,Enveil,Duality... - October 30th, 2021
- Messenger: from now on, voice and video calls will have end-to-end encryption MRT - Market Research Telecast - October 30th, 2021
- Encryption Key Management Market Growth Overview of Top Companies : Thales Group, IBM, Egnyte, Google, Alibaba Cloud Computing, Box, Amazon,... - October 30th, 2021
- Future Growth Of IoT Security Solution for Encryption Market by New Business Developments, Innovations, And Top Companies - Forecast To 2026 -... - October 30th, 2021
- If WhatsApp chats are end-to-end encrypted, how are personal chats of celebs leaking? - BGR India - October 30th, 2021
- WhatsApp rolls out encryption for chats backed up in the cloud - Mashable - October 17th, 2021
- WhatsApp now lets users encrypt their chat backups in the cloud - TechCrunch - October 17th, 2021
- Meet the Alliance for Encryption in Latin America and the Caribbean - EFF - October 17th, 2021
- Apples plan to scan images will allow governments into smartphones - The Guardian - October 17th, 2021
- WhatsApp to bring in encryption for backup chats after privacy fears - The Guardian - October 15th, 2021
- WhatsApp end-to-end encrypted backups are rolling out on both Android and iOS - GSMArena.com news - GSMArena.com - October 15th, 2021
- Encryption: Why security threats coast under the radar - Philstar.com - October 15th, 2021
- Encryption Management Solutions Market 2021 : Industry Analysis ,Size, Share, Revenue, Prominent Players, Developing Technologies, Tendencies and... - October 15th, 2021
- TLS Support Redis - October 12th, 2021
- Signal >> Documentation - October 12th, 2021
- Encryption Consulting announces their first-ever virtual conference - "Encryption Consulting Virtual conference 2021." - Tyler Morning... - October 12th, 2021
- [Update: Rolling out] WhatsApp adds end-to-end encryption for Android cloud backups - 9to5Google - October 12th, 2021
- Homomorphic Encryption Market New Coming Industry to Witness Great Growth Opportunities in Coming Years From 2021 to 2027: Microsoft (US), IBM... - October 12th, 2021
- SmartKargo Incorporates EDIfly Advanced Aviation Messaging At No Cost for Customers of its E-Commerce Logistics Solution - Yahoo Finance - October 12th, 2021
- No outages, no data leaks: The new WhatsApp killer built on the blockchain creates privacy-focused encrypted messenger - Cointelegraph - October 12th, 2021
- Mosyle's $ 16M Series A Drives Growth by Launching the Mosyle Business with the Market's First Encrypted DNS Filtering and Security Solution -... - October 6th, 2021
- Tips to Secure and Encrypt your WIFI Network Security - H2S Media - October 6th, 2021