If you're looking for a simple way to keep files and folders private on your Windows computer, you have several options right in front of you. Thanks to the Microsoft Office Suite, you can use a built-in encryption feature to password-protect Office files, such as Word documents or PowerPoint presentations.
Some Windows operating systems also come with Encrypting File System (EFS), which lets you encrypt any kind of file, as well as whole folders and subfolders. Note, however, that EFS is only available for Windows 10 Pro, Windows 7 Professional, Windows 7 Ultimate, Windows 7 Enterprise, Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8 Enterprise. Users with a Home edition of Windows will need to use either Office Suite encryption or a third-party solution, such as TrueCrypt, VeraCrypt or 7-Zip.
Illustration: Toms GuideTo set up your Windows encryption, you'll want to follow these step-by-step instructions.
MORE: Best Password Managers
Before you start altering your files, there are some tips you need to keep in mind.
This process encrypts individual files compatible with Microsoft Office applications such as Word, PowerPoint or Excel. Once you encrypt a file this way, you'll need to reopen it in Microsoft Office; you won't be able to open it in Google Docs, Adobe Reader or LibreOffice. These steps work for all up-to-date versions of Office, across Windows 7 and Windows 10.
1. Open a Microsoft Office program and click Open Other Documents.
2. Click Browse.
3. Select a file you want to encrypt and click Open.
4. Click the File tab at the top of the page.
5. Click "Protect Document" on the left side.
3. Select Encrypt with Password from the pop-up menu.
4. Enter a password for the file. You'll be prompted to re-enter the same password, then click OK. After you exit this file, you'll have to enter the same password to reopen it. Be sure to store this password in a separate, safe place.
You're not quite done yet, though. One of the flaws with Microsoft Office's encryption is that unencrypted versions of recently opened files might still be stored in your computer's temporary memory. You'll want to go clear that out after you've encrypted a file.
1. Click the Start button.
2. Type "Disk Cleanup" into the text field and select Disk Cleanup.
3. Wait for the loading bar to complete, it's calculating how many files it will be able to delete.
4. After the window "Disk Cleanup for OS (C:) appears, check the box next to "Temporary files" (you may need to scroll down) and click OK.
5. A new pop-up window will appear asking you to confirm the deletion. Click Delete Files.
6. Youll see a new pop-up window (pictured below) with a loading bar running as your files are deleted. Once it's finished, the window will disappear and the temporary files are gone.
EFS works by letting you apply encryption to already-existing files or folders in your file system. You can still edit or modify these files or folders following the encryption process. With EFS you won't notice any change in the way you access your files; all you have to do is log in to your Windows account at startup and the files will be accessible. However, this means that you need to pick a strong, difficult-to-guess password for your Windows user account. Note: Step 7 is time-sensitive, so make sure to click the "Back up your file encryption key" prompt after confirming attribute changes in step 6. Missing that prompt means you'll need to start over again.
1. Right-click on the file or folder you wish to encrypt.
2. Click Properties selection at the bottom of the menu.
3. Click Advanced under the General tab. This will bring up a second pop-up window entitled Advanced Attributes.
4. Check "Encrypt contents to secure data."
5. Click OK.
6. Click Apply.
7. Choose how extensive you want the encryption to be, click OK. You can choose to encrypt just that folder, or to encrypt all of the folder's subfolders and files. We recommend the latter. Whichever you choose, click that option and then press OK.
8. Make sure to click the "Back up your file encryption key" pop-up message before it disappears. If you miss the pop-up message, you'll need to restart your machine and try again.
The computer creates an encryption key using an encryption certificate provided by Microsoft. Now your file or folder is encrypted, you won't need a password to access it other than the password you use to sign into your Windows profile when you turn the computer on.
You should back up that encryption key to a separate device, because if that key is ever lost or damaged, you won't be able to access your encrypted files. The easiest method is with an external USB drive, so plug one into your PC before starting.
1. Click the option "Back up now (recommended)."
2. Click Next.
3. Click Next again.
4. Check the box next to Password, enter your password twice and click Next.
5. Click Browse.
6. Navigate to a directory, such as a USB drive, name your encryption key and click save.
7. Click Next.
8. Click Finish.
9. Click OK, now eject your USB drive (or wherever you stored the file) and keep it somewhere safe where you'll remember it.
Windows' built-in encryption isn't a perfect solution. If you encrypt a single file, the computer stores an unencrypted version of that file in its temporary memory, so a savvy snoop can still access it.
It's fairly easy for an attacker to break Windows encryption using a brute-force attack, which is when an attacker uses a program that methodically guesses every possible combination of letters and numbers, starting with common passwords.
MORE: Your Router's Security Stinks: Here's How to Fix It
If you're very serious about security and privacy, you might not trust a Microsoft solution. The FBI and NSA can require U.S. companies to hand over data or encryption keys. For those reasons, we suggest using a free third-party service, such as TrueCrypt, its successor VeraCrypt or WinZip.
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Encryption Software Market Report to Share Key Aspects of the Industry with the details of Influence Factors - Scientect - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market: Regional Overview and Trends Evaluation to 2026 - Fractovia News - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market is Expected to reach $2.16 billion by 2020| Growing at a CAGR (compounded annual growth rate) of CAGR of 14.27% from 2014... - September 4th, 2020
- WD unveils encrypted ArmorLock SSD that unlocks using your smartphone - 9to5Toys - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market report, upcoming trends, share report, growth size, industry players and global forecast to 2025 - Galus Australis - September 4th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Encryption Software Market: Global Industry Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2020 2025 - The Daily... - September 4th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Technology Steady Growth to be Witnessed by 2019-2029 - The News Brok - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market to Witness Astonishing Growth by 2026 | Dell , Eset , Gemalto and more - The Daily Chronicle - September 4th, 2020
- IIT Guwahati Research team working towards protecting data from cyber attacks - India Today - September 4th, 2020
- Five Security Blind Spots You Might Not Realize You Have - Government Technology - September 4th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption MARKET 2020 BY MANUFACTURERS, REGIONS, TYPE AND APPLICATION, FORECAST TO 2027 - Scientect - September 4th, 2020
- Network Encryption Market Trends, Outlook and Forecasts to 2025 by: Gemalto, Riverbed Technology, IBM Corporation, SolarWinds Inc., Juniper Networks... - September 4th, 2020
- What is the Importance of Encryption in the Business Network - Enterprise Security Mag - September 2nd, 2020
- How to enable end-to-end encryption for the Nextcloud app - TechRepublic - September 2nd, 2020
- The Feds Need to Listen in on Your Encrypted Knowledge. It is "for the Youngsters." - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - September 2nd, 2020
- NordVPN review: An encryption powerhouse with the best VPN bang for your buck - CNET - September 2nd, 2020
- Homomorphic encryption: Deriving analytics and insights from encrypted data - CSO Online - September 2nd, 2020
- Encryption Key Management 2020-2025 | Global Market Trends, Applications, Size, Types, Key Manufacturers and Forecast Research - The Daily Chronicle - September 2nd, 2020
- AES Encryption Software Market : Global Strategies and Insight driven transformation 2020 2026 - SG Research Sphere - September 2nd, 2020
- IIT Guwahati researchers develop algorithms to protect information like health data from cyberattacks - EdexLive - September 2nd, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Market- Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027: By Industrial verticals, Services, and Region. - Galus Australis - September 2nd, 2020
- Data Encryption Market Size 2020 By Global Business Trends, Share, Future Demand, Leading Players Updates and Forecast to 2026 (Based on 2020 COVID-19... - September 2nd, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Technology Market : Global Trends, Analysis and Forecast 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 2nd, 2020
- How to Encrypt Files with gocryptfs on Linux - How-To Geek - September 2nd, 2020
- GlobeX Data launches Sekur, its secure, encrypted email and messaging solution - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - September 2nd, 2020
- What to do in the event of a ransomware attack - Charity Digital News - September 2nd, 2020
- Activate these 4 WhatsApp settings NOW to stop snoopers including face-lock and encryption - The Sun - September 2nd, 2020
- TLS Is Only as Strong as Its Weakest Link - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - September 2nd, 2020
- Encryption Management Solutions Market Trends, Size, Share, Status, Analysis And Forecast To 2025 - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market Insights Business Opportunities, Current Trends And Restraints Forecast 2026 - Reports Watch - September 2nd, 2020
- 9 ways to build privacy into cloud applications - Reseller News - September 2nd, 2020
- Russia's New Blockchain Voting System Isn't Ready, but It'll Be Used This Month Anyway - Business Blockchain HQ - September 2nd, 2020
- Encryption and endpoint control: the heroes of post-lockdown data security - TEISS - August 20th, 2020
- Global Encryption Software Market 2020: Industry Analysis by Size, Share, Demand, Growth rate and Forecasts Till 2025 - The News Brok - August 20th, 2020
- Techdirt Podcast Episode 252: The Key To Encryption - Techdirt - August 20th, 2020
- Researchers Develop Attacks Targeting End-to-End Encryption in Emails - Decipher - August 20th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market- Global Outlook and Forecast 2018-2026 - Kentucky Journal 24 - August 20th, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts Of COVID-19 On Data Encryption Market Effects, Aftermath And Forecast To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - August 20th, 2020
- Commercial Encryption Software Market Analysis And Demand With Forecast Overvie - News by aeresearch - August 20th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market Estimated to Experience a Hike in Growth by 2026 - Scientect - August 20th, 2020
- Why it's important to encrypt everything, everywhere, all the time - SecurityBrief Asia - August 20th, 2020
- Optical Encryption Market with Brief Introduction, Industry Overview, Scope, Size and Forecast Analysis 2025 - Scientect - August 20th, 2020
- What is On-the-Fly Memory Encryption? - Electropages - August 8th, 2020
- AFP says it made three requests for assistance in breaking encryption in 2019-20 - iTWire - August 8th, 2020
- Blue Canyon Technologies Tapped to Build QETSSat Encryption Satellite - Via Satellite - August 8th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Report to Share Key Aspects of the Industry with the Details of Influence Factors- 2024 - Owned - August 8th, 2020
- Exorcist Ransomware and CIS Exclusion - Security Boulevard - August 8th, 2020
- Beyond Krk: Even more WiFi chips vulnerable to eavesdropping - We Live Security - August 8th, 2020
- Comprehensive Analysis on Endpoint Encryption Software Market based on types and application - The Daily Chronicle - August 8th, 2020
- This hardware-encrypted USB-C drive is rugged, inexpensive, and can run Windows - TechRadar UK - August 8th, 2020
- Zoom's COO is not concerned by app bans in India, says end-to-end encryption for all by year end - Economic Times - August 8th, 2020
- Jihadi Use Of Bots On The Encrypted Messaging Platform Telegram - Middle East Media Research Institute - August 8th, 2020
- Thoughts on encryption legislation - and the real 'link' between 5G and coronavirus - Cloud Tech - July 21st, 2020
- Twitter Urged To Beef Up Encryption 07/20/2020 - MediaPost Communications - July 21st, 2020
- Encryption Software - Market Share Analysis and Research Report by 2025 - CueReport - July 21st, 2020
- Encryption Management Solutions Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis And... - July 21st, 2020
- Research Report on Data Encryption Service Market by Current Industry Status, Growth Opportunities, Top Key Players, and Forecast to 2025 -... - July 21st, 2020
- Bill That Mandates Cyber Backdoors Will Leave Front Doors Wide Open - CPO Magazine - July 21st, 2020
- These encrypted iStorage hard drives and flash drives are the ultimate peace of mind for your data - Boing Boing - July 21st, 2020
- Virtual and face-to-face connect to coexist: Zoom COO - Fortune India - July 21st, 2020
- Facebook's Rolling Out Touch ID and Face ID Lock Options for Messenger - Social Media Today - July 21st, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Technology Market Expeted To Reach xx.xx mn USD With growth Rate of xx by 2025| Pandamic Impact Analysis : Gemalto, Sophos,... - July 21st, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 Comprehensive Analysis With Top Trends, Size, Share, Future Growth Opportunities & Forecast By 2027 - Connected... - July 21st, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies Have 'No Way' to Comply With US Anti-Encryption Bills - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 17th, 2020
- Encryption Key Management Market: Find Out Essential Strategies to expand The Business and Also Check Working in 2020-2027 - Jewish Life News - July 17th, 2020
- Email Encryption Market Worth $9.9 Billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - July 17th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Overviews With Key Players, Size Growth Drivers As Well As Industry Challenges Opportunities To 2027 - Connected Lifestyle - July 17th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 | Covid-19 Impact Analysis and Industry Forecast Report Till 2024 - 3rd Watch News - July 17th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 Overview by Size, Share, Financial Services, Applications, Sales Data and Investment Opportunities till 2025 - Apsters... - July 17th, 2020
- Flash drives and hard drives with military-grade encryption on sale - Mashable - July 17th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Market: Size, Share, Analysis, Regional Outlook and Forecast 2020-2025 - Express Journal - July 17th, 2020
- IoT Security Solution For Encryption Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Endpoint Encryption Software Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Market Report 2020 by Key Players, Types, Applications, Countries, Market Size, Forecast to 2026... - July 6th, 2020
- Explained: WhatApp calls End-to-End Encrypted, but what does it mean for you? - India Today - July 6th, 2020
- The booming business of encrypted tech serving the criminal underworld - Telegraph.co.uk - July 6th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Devices Consumption Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Network Encryption Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Worth $20.1 Billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - Yahoo Finance - June 18th, 2020
- Zoom says free users will get end-to-end encryption after all - The Verge - June 18th, 2020