The Australian Labor Party said on Monday it would be debating a Private Senator's Bill to fix the encryption laws that it voted for in 2018.
The changes would include judicial authorisation that make the laws compatible with the US CLOUD Act, as well as changes in theprevious Bill that was stranded prior to the May 2019 election.
"Tech companies report that customers are less likely to seek out contracts with Australian companies because the encryption laws pose risks that they would be required by the government to introduce systemic weaknesses into their products and systems," Shadow Minister for Home Affairs Kristina Keneally said.
Labor was warned of this exact situation in 2018 before it voted for the laws.
Australian security vendor Senetas called for the laws to be dumped in 2018 because it would damage Australian reputations and trust.
"The Bill will damage Australian developers' and manufacturers' reputations in international markets, resulting in loss of trust and confidence in Australian cybersecurity R&D and products," Senetas said at the time.
"Rather than protecting the interests of citizens, this Bill compromises their security and privacy as a consequence of weaker cybersecurity practices and easier access to new tools for cyber criminals."
As long as the government majority holds, and there are no signs it would not, then Labor's fixes will die on the House of Representatives floor.
"Today is a test for the Morrison government -- will they stand up for the 700,000 Australians working in our technology industry and Australia's law enforcement agencies ... or continue with their broken promises and do-nothing plan?" Keneally said without a hint of irony.
Labor had previously said it would fix the "rushed legislation" it passed if it won government in May. The ALP did not win.
On Friday it was revealed that the nation's metadata laws were capable of handing to the cops the web browsing history of Australians.
At the time, Labor Senator Anthony Byrne noted his "grave concern" this was happening despite assurances.
Updated at 19:17pm AEDT, 10 February 2020: Article headline originally said the Bill was being introduced. The Bill was up for second reading debate.
AFP and NSW Police used Australia's encryption laws seven times in 2018-19
Seven Technical Assistance Requests made with no Technical Assistance Notices or Technical Capability Notices issued.
How the B-Team watches over Australia's encryption laws and cybersecurity
Most telco interception warrants are issued by non-judges. Important cybersecurity work isn't being done. The Information Commissioner lacks funding. Does the government actually care about privacy and security?
Home Affairs report reveals deeper problems with Australia's encryption laws
The first seven months of Australia's controversial encryption laws didn't see an explosion of decryptions. Worry instead about the cops bypassing judges to get their interception warrants approved.
End-to-end encryption means Huawei bans are about availability, not interception
Former Prime Minister who brought in Australia's anti-encyption laws says the technology can prevent potential tapping by telco equipment manufacturers.
Labor says it will fix encryption laws it voted for last year
Better late than never for agreeing to judicial authorisation, but legislation is unlikely to pass the House of Representatives.
- Bill to protect children online ensnared in encryption fight | TheHill - The Hill - March 13th, 2020
- Child exploitation bill earns strong opposition from encryption advocates - Washington Examiner - March 13th, 2020
- Senators Pretend That EARN IT Act Wouldn't Be Used To Undermine Encryption; They're Wrong - Techdirt - March 13th, 2020
- Patent hints that encrypted displays could appear on future Apple devices - TechSpot - March 13th, 2020
- Senators dispute industry claims that a bill targeting tech's legal shield would prohibit encryption - CNBC - March 11th, 2020
- The EARN IT Act Is a Sneak Attack on Encryption - WIRED - March 11th, 2020
- Krk WiFi vulnerability affected WiFi encryption on over a billion devices - Privacy News Online - March 11th, 2020
- The Benefits of Encryption and the Implications of Creating Backdoors - American Action Forum - March 11th, 2020
- Big Boom in Encryption Key Management Software Market that is Significantly Growing with Top Key Players Netlib Security, Fortanix, Avery Oden, AWS -... - March 11th, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Market to Witness Robust Expansion throughout the Forecast 2020-2026: McAfee(Intel Corporation), Blackberry, T-Systems... - March 11th, 2020
- Email Encryption Market Rising Trends, Technology and Business Outlook 2020 to 2026 - Best Research Reports - March 11th, 2020
- Crypto, Encryption, and the Quest for a Secure Messaging App - Bitcoin News - March 8th, 2020
- Encryption Flaws Leave Millions of Toyota, Kia, and Hyundai Cars Vulnerable to Key Cloning - Gizmodo - March 8th, 2020
- IoT Security Solution for Encryption Market to Boom In Near Future by 2026 Industry Key Players: Cisco Systems, Intel Corporation, IBM Corporation -... - March 8th, 2020
- What are the top-rated encrypted texting apps? - Fox Business - March 8th, 2020
- Data Encryption Software Market: Future Forecast Assessed On The Basis Of How The Industry Is Predicted To Grow 2020-2025 - Bandera County Courier - March 8th, 2020
- How Encrypted Messaging Works And Why Australian Spies Are Trying To Break The Code - Gizmodo Australia - March 8th, 2020
- Why Britains new deal with Silicon Valley for stopping child abuse still has one big hole in it - Telegraph.co.uk - March 8th, 2020
- What the 2020 election means for encryption - The Verge - March 3rd, 2020
- Our guide to the 2020 election including Section 230 and encryption - The Verge - March 3rd, 2020
- Research: IT Managers Regard Encrypted Traffic as a Source of Cyberthreats, But Their Defenses Are Inadequate - Yahoo Finance - March 3rd, 2020
- Encryption Foes in Washington Won't Give Up - Reason - March 3rd, 2020
- BestCrypt by Jetico expands cross-platform protection to computers with T2 chip - Help Net Security - March 3rd, 2020
- Barr's Motives, Encryption and Protecting Children; DOJ 230 Workshop Review, Part III - Techdirt - March 3rd, 2020
- Comment: Its time for governments to learn how end-to-end encryption works - 9to5Mac - March 3rd, 2020
- Crypto AG Shows That US Concern Over Huawei Encryption Backdoors Comes From Long Experience Doing the Same Thing - CPO Magazine - March 3rd, 2020
- MI5 Still Thinks Encryption Backdoors are an Excellent Idea That Couldn't Possibly Go Wrong - Gizmodo UK - March 3rd, 2020
- Global Encryption Software Market is projected to reach a value of USD 20.44 billion by 2026 - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - March 3rd, 2020
- Exporters Should Be 'Very Careful' of Misusing New End-to-End Encryption Carve-Out in ITAR, Experts Say - Export Compliance Daily - March 3rd, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 Analysis by Overview, Growth, Top Companies, Trends, Demand and Forecast to 2026 - Packaging News 24 - March 3rd, 2020
- If We Build It (They Will Break In) - Lawfare - March 3rd, 2020
- Why the US government is questioning WhatsApp's encryption - CNBC - February 25th, 2020
- No Backdoor on Human Rights: Why Encryption Cannot Be Compromised - Bitcoin News - February 25th, 2020
- Backdoor to encryption back on agenda in absurdly named bill - 9to5Mac - February 25th, 2020
- Signal is the European Union's encrypted messaging app of choice - Cult of Mac - February 25th, 2020
- cloudAshur, hands on: Encrypt, share and manage your files locally and in the cloud - ZDNet - February 25th, 2020
- ASIO: Relentless advance of technology was outstripping our capabilities - ZDNet - February 25th, 2020
- Cygilant to Highlight the Need for Encrypted Traffic Visibility at RSA Conference 2020 - Business Wire - February 25th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 Emerging Trends, Growing Demand, Leading Companies, Applications, Overview and Regional Analysis 2026 - News Times - February 25th, 2020
- US bill seen threatening encryption on tech platforms - EJ Insight - February 25th, 2020
- AES Encryption Software Market to Witness Increased Incremental Dollar Opportunity During the Forecast Period 2020 2026 | Dell, Eset, Gemalto, IBM,... - February 25th, 2020
- Malware and HTTPS a growing love affair - Naked Security - February 25th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market To Witness Growth Acceleration During 2020-2026 | Western Digital Corp, Samsung Electronics, Toshiba,... - February 25th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market are anticipated to lucrative growth opportunities in the future by Product Type, Structure, End-user and Geography to 2027... - February 25th, 2020
- Proposed Bill Could Threaten Apple, Facebook Messaging Platforms - MSSP Alert - February 25th, 2020
- Zettaset to Participate in Cybersecurity Forum at Annual HIMSS 2020 Conference - Business Wire - February 25th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Technology Market Analysis with Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecasts to 2025 | Gemalto, Sophos, Symantec - Nyse Nasdaq... - February 25th, 2020
- US legislation to fend off end-to-end encryption of Facebook, Google and others - Financial World - February 25th, 2020
- Encryption on Facebook, Google, others threatened by planned new bill - Reuters - February 22nd, 2020
- What Is an Encryption Backdoor? - How-To Geek - February 22nd, 2020
- Sophos Takes On Encrypted Network Traffic With New XG Firewall 18 - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - February 22nd, 2020
- Last Week In Venture: Eyes As A Service, Environmental Notes And Homomorphic Encryption - Crunchbase News - February 22nd, 2020
- CIA Encryption Meddling and Chinese Espionage Allegations Make It Clear: We All Need Strong Data Protection - Reason - February 12th, 2020
- Congress, Not the Attorney General, Should Decide the Future of Encryption - Lawfare - February 12th, 2020
- The code breakers: This vault is the epicenter in law enforcement's battle to unlock encrypted smartphones - USA TODAY - February 12th, 2020
- Enea Announces New Smart Tools to Identify Encrypted and Evasive Network Traffic - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- Encryption Vs. Decryption: What's the Difference? - Techopedia - February 12th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - News Parents - February 12th, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Market to Grow Massively (2020-2025) By Size, Share, Price, Trend and Forecast | Blackberry, T-Systems International, ESET, Sophos,... - February 12th, 2020
- Child-Welfare Activists Attack Facebook Over Encryption Plans - The New York Times - February 9th, 2020
- How Attorney General Barr's War On Encryption Will Harm Our Military - Techdirt - February 9th, 2020
- Strong Opinions on Whether Police Calls Should be Encrypted - Government Technology - February 9th, 2020
- The EARN IT Act is the latest clueless attack on encryption, do not fall for it - Privacy News Online - February 9th, 2020
- Republican Senator Lindsey Graham introduces bill that threatens end-to-end encryption - World Socialist Web Site - February 9th, 2020
- Activists write to Facebook against encryption, says it will dent bid to curb child pornography - Hindustan Times - February 9th, 2020
- BBB Offers the Following Tips for National Clean Out Your Computer and Safer Internet Day WKTN- A division of Home Town Media - WKTN Radio - February 9th, 2020
- Optical Encryption Market Booming by Size, Revenue, Trends and Top Growing Companies 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 9th, 2020
- Federal government warning of voter coercion, foreign election interference through private messaging services - CBC.ca - February 9th, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Market 2020 Recent Industry Developments and Growth Strategies Adopted by Top Key Players Worldwide and Assessment to 2025 -... - February 9th, 2020
- Well-meaning charities urge Facebook to halt encryption plan to protect kids - 9to5Mac - February 6th, 2020
- How the B-Team watches over Australia's encryption laws and cybersecurity - ZDNet - February 6th, 2020
- Kids Need End-to-End Encryption for Protection Against Corporations - The Mac Observer - February 6th, 2020
- Encryption Backdoors: The Achilles Heel to Cybersecurity? - Techopedia - February 6th, 2020
- US Lawmakers Seeking to Ban Companies From Using End-to-End Encryption With a New Draft Bill - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - February 6th, 2020
- United States: a invoice towards end-to-end encryption? - Sahiwal Tv - February 6th, 2020
- TLS 1.0/1.1 end-of-life countdown heads into the danger zone - The Daily Swig - February 6th, 2020
- How Would a US Ban on End to End Encryption Affect Cryptocurrency? - Bitcoinist - February 5th, 2020
- Officials Ask Public to Weigh in on Encrypting Police Calls - Government Technology - February 5th, 2020
- Bluefin and FroogalPay Partner to Provide PCI-Validated Point-to-Point Encryption (P2PE) - Benzinga - February 5th, 2020
- Facebook to allow parents to monitor their kids' chat messages - Sussex Express - February 5th, 2020