This time last year, the Australian Labor Party waved through the government's encryption Bills, formally known as the Assistance and Access Bill, and threw out the line the laws were needed to keep the nation safe.
"Let's just make Australians safer over Christmas," then Labor leader Bill Shorten said at the time.
"It's all about putting people first."
Fast forward to December 2019, and after losing a May election, the opposition has decided it wants to introduce legislation to "fix" the encryption laws.
As long as the government majority holds, and there are no signs it would not, then the legislation will die on the House of Representatives floor.
"The Morrison government have broken their promise to Australia's tech sector and by failing to amend their encryption laws -- putting a handbrake on the digital economy, and hindering the creation of jobs, productivity and growth of the economy," Shadow Minister for Home Affairs Senator Kristina Keneally, Shadow Attorney-General Mark Dreyfus, Shadow Communications Minister Michelle Rowland, and Shadow Assistant Minister for Cybersecurity Tim Watts said in a statement.
See also: Schneier slams Australia's encryption laws and CyberCon speaker bans
Labor waved the Bills through Parliament after seeking assurances that the government would agree to amendments in the new year.
In a performance reminiscent of Charlie Brown trying to kick a football, the government was successful in stranding Labor's amendments prior to the May election.
"A majority of the Senate voted for those amendments but the government, which still maintains that this rushed legislation is perfect, has shut down debate on those amendments, and so, regrettably, we will not be able to pass them before the election," Dreyfus said at the time.
He added that Labor would pursue its now stranded amendments in government -- which clearly never happened -- as well as require authorisation from a judicial officer in order to issue Technical Assistance Notices or a Technical Capability Notices.
That requirement is part of the legislation announced by Labor on Tuesday.
"The government's encryption legislation are not compliant with the US CLOUD Act -- making it harder for Australian law enforcement to quickly access the information they need to fight crime, making Australia a more dangerous place to live," the quartet said without acknowledging their part in making Australia less safe a year ago. "To address these concerns, Labor's amendments will introduce a judicial authorisation requirement to provide assurances to the United States Congress that Australia's laws are compatible with the US government's CLOUD Act."
The legislation will be introduced into the Senate as a Private Senator's Bill on the second last sitting day of the year.
"The government should put partisan politics aside and support this Bill, in both the House and the Senate, in order to honour the commitment that they made to the Parliament last year, and fix the mess they created for Australian innovation and technology businesses," the quartet added, again without any allusion to Labor waving the encryption Bills through.
Last year, a parade of Labor members stated how unsatisfactory the Bill was, and how they would still vote for it.
"We do this because we understand that in conferring new powers to protect our nation's security, it's vital that we do not compromise the very freedoms and way of life that we're seeking to protect," Dreyfus said at the time, as he pointed out in incompatibility with the CLOUD Act.
Speaking on the same day, Watts said the powers in the soon-to-be laws were not a form of mass surveillance.
If you are not a subject of law enforcement inquiries, you are not going to have to worry about being a target of this Bill. If you are not a security threat, as identified by ASIO, you are not going to have to be worried about being a target of the Bill," Watts said.
Both Dreyfus and Watts would vote for the Bill.
Labor member Ed Husic detailed the problems of oversight, and how examination is required by informed individuals.
"The type of judicial oversight offered in this process is tissue-tough. I don't think it cuts the grade of what people would expect," he said previously.
Leading up to the election in May, Husic stated that "win, lose, or draw" the Australia Labor Party would be reforming the Act.
Read more from the original source:
Labor says it will fix encryption laws it voted for last year - ZDNet
- Encryption Software Market Worth $20.1 Billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - Yahoo Finance - June 18th, 2020
- Zoom says free users will get end-to-end encryption after all - The Verge - June 18th, 2020
- Zoom To Offer End-To-End Encryption For Video Calls, Trials To Start In July - NDTV - June 18th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020-2025: Types, Services, Cost Structure, Application, Statistics, Emerging Trends And Regional Analysis - Owned - June 18th, 2020
- Zoom to offer end-to-end encryption for all users, trial to begin in July - Reuters India - June 18th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market Will Generate Massive Revenue In Future- A Comprehensive Study On Key Players - Surfacing Magazine - June 18th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Gateways Market Research with COVID-19 After Effects - Cole of Duty - June 18th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 By Trends, Demand, Business Opportunities, Development Factors, Applications, Overview with Competitive landscape... - June 14th, 2020
- IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON Encryption Key Management Software RESEARCH, GROWTH TRENDS AND COMPETITIVE ANALYSIS 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - June 14th, 2020
- Move over Zoom, this encryption company just released the first fully end to end encrypted conferencing solution #105518 - New Kerala - June 14th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Software Market to witness high growth in near future - GroundAlerts.com - June 14th, 2020
- Three secure ways to surf the internet - Gadgets Now - June 14th, 2020
- Will Zoom Bring Encryption to the People Who Need It Most? - EFF - June 13th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Size Scope and Comprehensive Analysis by 2028 - 3rd Watch News - June 13th, 2020
- Federal-grade encryption from the comfort of home - GCN.com - June 13th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market Growth Prospects, Revenue, Key Vendors, Growth Rate and Forecast To 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 13th, 2020
- Congress introduces EARN IT Act, which would end encryption programs but violates the Constitution - NationofChange - June 13th, 2020
- IBM kit wants to keep your data encrypted while in use - ITProPortal - June 13th, 2020
- Commercial Encryption Software Market Growth Prospects, Revenue, Key Vendors, Growth Rate and Forecast To 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 13th, 2020
- Nearly 500,000 say Congress shouldnt kill encryption with the EARN IT Act - The Daily Dot - June 13th, 2020
- COVID-19, Security and WFH: Myths and Misconceptions - Security Boulevard - June 13th, 2020
- Privacy News Online | Weekly Review: June 12th, 2020 - Privacy News Online - June 13th, 2020
- Global Optical encryption Market Insights and Forecast 2020 to 2025 - Jewish Life News - June 13th, 2020
- Hong Kong is number one in Asia for enterprise encryption, with customer personal information the top data protection priority, reports nCipher... - May 27th, 2020
- Are social giants morally obligated to break encryption? - ACS - May 27th, 2020
- Facebook plot to encrypt ALL chats will help child abusers to hide, former police chief warns - The Sun - May 27th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market To Expand At A Robust 14.27% Cagr Of 2020 | Sophos,McAfee,Check Point Software Technologies,Proofpoint,Trend Micro - 3rd... - May 27th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Forecast Revised in a New Market Expertz Report as COVID-19 Projected to Hold a Massive Impact on Sales in 2020 | Long-term... - May 27th, 2020
- Global Homomorphic Encryption Market Analysis 2020-2025: by Key Players with Countries, Type, Application and Forecast Till 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 27th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact ON AES Encryption Software Market: Size, Market Analysis, Application, Growth Drivers, Trends, status and Research Report by 2025 -... - May 27th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Software Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19 Impact | Top... - May 27th, 2020
- Global Encryption Key Management Market 2020 Insights, Key Player's Competition, Trends, Sales, Revenue, Supply, Demand, Growth Analysis and Forecast... - May 27th, 2020
- Starting to look at email security. Looking for guidance - Encryption Methods and Programs - BleepingComputer - May 25th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Technology Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- Gemalto, Sophos, Symantec, SkyHigh Networks, Netskope etc. -... - May 25th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Cloud Encryption Technology Market is Expected to Grow at an active CAGR by Forecast to 2025 | Top Players Gemalto, Sophos,... - May 25th, 2020
- Zoom will seek public feedback on plan for stronger encryption - The Indian Express - May 16th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- Almost half of organisations have been reported to the ICO for a potential data breach - ResponseSource - May 16th, 2020
- VPN Tunnels explained: what are they and how can they keep your internet data secure - TechRadar - May 16th, 2020
- The Week in Ransomware - May 15th 2020 - REvil targets Trump - BleepingComputer - May 16th, 2020
- WhatsApp Video Calls Will Soon Support 50: This Is Why 8s The Limit For Your Security - Forbes - May 16th, 2020
- How to Use Encryption for Defense in Depth in Native and Browser Apps - InfoQ.com - May 14th, 2020
- Analyzing Encrypted RDP Connections - Security Boulevard - May 14th, 2020
- Analysis on Impact of COVID-19-Global Cloud Encryption Software Market 2020-2024| Increasing Use of In-built Cloud Encryption Solutions to Boost... - May 14th, 2020
- Vcrypt ransomware brings along a buddy to do the encryption - Naked Security - May 14th, 2020
- Move over Zoom, this encryption company just released the first fully end to end encrypted conferencing solution - Yahoo Finance - May 14th, 2020
- GovCon Expert Chuck Brooks: Three Steps for Protecting Data in the Public and Private Sectors - GovConWire - May 14th, 2020
- What is the difference between Symmetric and Asymmetric Encryption? - TWCN Tech News - May 14th, 2020
- Encryption Key Management Software Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- IoT Security Solution For Encryption Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Technology Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Data Encryption Service Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Congress May Hand Bill Barr the Keys to Your Online Life - The New Republic - May 14th, 2020
- DataLocker Sentry K300 8GB Encrypted Thumb Drive Review - TweakTown - May 14th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Technology Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Software Market SHARE, SIZE 2020| EMERGING RAPIDLY WITH LATEST TRENDS, GROWTH, REVENUE, DEMAND AND FORECAST TO 2026 -... - May 14th, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Hardware Based Encryption Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Email Encryption Software Market Incredible Possibilities, Growth With Industry Study, Detailed Analysis And Forecast To 2025 - Bulletin Line - May 14th, 2020
- Google Duo is coming to the web via Chrome; features Family mode, end-to-end encryption - Moneycontrol - May 14th, 2020
- Global trade impact of the Coronavirus Commercial Encryption Software Market Applications and Company's Active in the Industry Science Market Reports... - May 2nd, 2020
- Email Encryption Market Growth Opportunities, Challenges, Key Companies, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 2nd, 2020
- U.S. Hardware Encryption Market (2019 to 2026) - by Algorithm & Standard, Architecture and Field-Programmable Gate Array, Product, Application,... - May 2nd, 2020
- Innovative Encryption Algorithm Developed in South Korea - BusinessKorea - May 2nd, 2020
- Online course trains students in the bizarre world of quantum computing - Livescience.com - May 2nd, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Growth Opportunities, Challenges, Key Companies, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 2nd, 2020
- COVID19 impact: Global Cloud Encryption Software Market Trends (Constraints, Drivers, Opportunities, Threats, Challenges, recommendations and... - May 2nd, 2020
- Review of the iStorage datAshur Pro2, an encrypted thumbdrive for home and work - Neowin - May 2nd, 2020
- Kanguru expands encrypted flash drive range with new 256GB options - Geeky Gadgets - May 2nd, 2020
- Global Encryption Management Solutions Market Size |Incredible Possibilities and Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2026 | Check Point Software... - May 2nd, 2020
- The COVIDSafe app was just one contact tracing option. These alternatives guarantee more privacy - The Conversation AU - May 2nd, 2020
- Data Encryption Service Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures With Forecasts Growth by 2026| Microsoft, IBM, OneNeck - News Log Book - May 2nd, 2020
- ACLU, EFF still trying to get documents unsealed in Facebook encryption case - CyberScoop - April 29th, 2020
- Advanced Encryption Standard (AES): What It Is and How It Works - Security Boulevard - April 29th, 2020
- How Let's Encrypt changed the web with free, easy encryption - Fast Company - April 29th, 2020
- Group video calls of up to 100 participants, with encryption and noise cancellation - Explica - April 29th, 2020
- Analysis of COVID-19-Encryption Management Solutions Market 2019-2023 | Rising Demand For Digitalization to Boost Growth | Technavio - Yahoo Finance - April 17th, 2020
- Protecting consumers personal data becomes top reason for encryption, global study involving nCipher Security finds - Cambridge Independent - April 17th, 2020
- Signal: Well be eaten alive by EARN IT Acts anti-encryption wolves - Naked Security - April 17th, 2020
- Coronavirus tracing tech policy 'more significant' than the war on encryption - ZDNet - April 17th, 2020