The governments want to stop encrypted messaging
This article has been updated with a comment from Facebook.
The governments of seven countries are calling on Facebook and other tech firms to do the technically impossible - to weaken encryption by giving law enforcement access to messages, whilst not reducing user safety.
The governments of the U.S., U.K., Australia, New Zealand, Canada, India and Japan have issued the joint statement which pleads with Facebook specifically, as well as other tech firms, to drop end-to-end encryption policies which erode the publics safety online.
The governments once again raise the issue of child abusers and terrorists using encrypted services such as WhatsApp to send messages without fear of content being intercepted.
We owe it to all of our citizens, especially our children, to ensure their safety by continuing to unmask sexual predators and terrorists operating online, the U.K.s home secretary, Priti Patel, said in a statement.
It is essential that tech companies do not turn a blind eye to this problem and hamper their, as well as law enforcements, ability to tackle these sickening criminal acts. Our countries urge all tech companies to work with us to find a solution that puts the publics safety first.
Once again, the politicians seem unable to grasp one of the fundamental concepts of end-to-end encryption - that putting back doors into the encryption algorithms that allow security services to intercept messages effectively breaks the encryption.
According to the U.K. governments statement, the seven signatories of the international statement have made it clear that when end-to-end encryption is applied with no access to content, it severely undermines the ability of companies to take action against illegal activity on their own platforms.
Yet, end-to-encryption with the ability for third parties to intercept content is not end-to-end encryption in any meaningful sense. Worse, by introducing back doors to allow security services to access content, it would compromise the entire encryption system.
Nevertheless, the international intervention calls on tech companies to ensure there is no reduction in user safety when designing their encrypted services; to enable law enforcement access to content where it is necessary and proportionate; and work with governments to facilitate this.
As has been pointed out to the governments many times before, what they are asking for is technically impossible. An open letter sent to several of the signatory countries by a coalition of international civil rights groups in 2019 made this very point.
Proponents of exceptional access have argued that it is possible to build backdoors into encrypted consumer products that somehow let good actors gain surreptitious access to encrypted communications, while simultaneously stopping bad actors from intercepting those same communications, the letter stated. This technology does not exist.
To the contrary, technology companies could not give governments backdoor access to encrypted communications without also weakening the security of critical infrastructure, and the devices and services upon which the national security and intelligence communities themselves rely.
Critical infrastructure runs on consumer products and services, and is protected by the same encryption that is used in the consumer products that proponents of backdoor access seek to undermine, the letter adds.
In response to the statement from the seven nations, a Facebook spokesperson said: We've long argued that end-to-end encryption is necessary to protect people's most private information. In all of these countries, people prefer end-to-end encrypted messaging on various apps because it keeps their messages safe from hackers, criminals, and foreign interference. Facebook has led the industry in developing new ways to prevent, detect, and respond to abuse while maintaining high security and we will continue to do so."
- What Is the Signal Encryption Protocol? - WIRED - November 30th, 2020
- Data Protection | The Pros and Cons of End-to-End Encryption - DIGIT.FYI - November 30th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Overview, Growth, Types, Applications, Dynamics, Companies, Regions, & Forecast to 2026 - The Haitian-Caribbean News... - November 30th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market to Witness Astonishing Growth by 2027 | Dell , Eset , Gemalto and more - Cheshire Media - November 30th, 2020
- EU targets end-to-end encryption tools after rise in terror attacks - DIGIT.FYI - November 30th, 2020
- European Legislators Move to Eliminate End-to-End Encryption in Messaging Services Following Terror Attacks - Digital Information World - November 30th, 2020
- Facebook urged to end encryption to help cops stop paedophiles using app - The Sun - November 30th, 2020
- Inside the French governments mission to develop an encrypted messaging platform - NS Tech - November 30th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market Size, Key Manufacturers, Demand, Application And Opportunities By 2027 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020
- The tech and security backends that keep your data safe - Business MattersBusiness Matters - November 30th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Expected to Boost the Global Industry Growth in the Near Future - Cheshire Media - November 30th, 2020
- Commercial Encryption Software Market Will Generate Record Revenue by 2025 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020
- Symmetric Encryption Algorithms: Live Long & Encrypt - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - November 24th, 2020
- Google plans to test end-to-end encryption in Android messages - TechCrunch - November 24th, 2020
- Google Messages Set to Roll Out End-to-End Encryption - Infosecurity Magazine - November 24th, 2020
- Did they crack the code? The importance of encryption for protest movements - OpenGlobalRights - November 24th, 2020
- The EU's muddled approach to encryption - The Spectator US - November 24th, 2020
- AES Encryption Software Market 2020 Global Industry Size, Demand, Growth Analysis, Share, Revenue and Forecast 2022 - The Think Curiouser - November 24th, 2020
- How to recover data from a Mac with T2 or FileVault encryption and without a password - Macworld - November 24th, 2020
- Security flaws in smart doorbells may open the door to hackers - We Live Security - November 24th, 2020
- Document Encryption Software Market 2020 - Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic, Future Development, Top Manufacturers Analysis, Trends and Demand discussed in... - November 24th, 2020
- U.S. Hardware Encryption Market is expected to reach $259.12 billion by 2026 | CAGR 32.4% - WhaTech - November 24th, 2020
- Data Encryption Market: Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Trends, Growth and Forecast 2020 2026 - The Think Curiouser - November 24th, 2020
- Arrests and raids in Essex as police crackdown on encrypted criminal networks - Gazette - November 24th, 2020
- 2020 and Beyond: Homomorphic Encryption Market Trends and Outlook Study to 2027 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 24th, 2020
- US Department of Justice reignites the Battle to Break Encryption - Naked Security - October 17th, 2020
- Five Eyes Call for Tech World to Weaken Encryption - ClearanceJobs - ClearanceJobs - October 17th, 2020
- Zoom Begins Rollout of End-To-End Encryption - My TechDecisions - TechDecisions - October 17th, 2020
- Could homomorphic encryption be the solution to big data's problem? - Siliconrepublic.com - October 17th, 2020
- U.S., UK and other countries warn tech firms that encryption creates 'severe risks' to public safety - CNBC - October 17th, 2020
- Is Signal secure? How the messaging app protects privacy - Business Insider - Business Insider - October 17th, 2020
- AeroVironment and Viasat to aim to improve radio encryption for Puma AE - Flightglobal - October 17th, 2020
- Encryption Backdoor? The Trump Administration Wants It. - The National Interest - October 17th, 2020
- How to use private conversations on Skype to send encrypted calls and messages - Business Insider India - October 17th, 2020
- AES Encryption Software Industry Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19 Impact | Top... - October 17th, 2020
- Trustifi Named Overall Encryption Solution Provider of the Year in 2020 CyberSecurity Breakthrough Awards Program - GlobeNewswire - October 17th, 2020
- ACLU and EFF Call DOJ's Encryption Dream a Nightmare - L.A. Weekly - October 17th, 2020
- Global Database Encryption Market Expected to reach highest CAGR in forecast period : International Business Machines Corporation, Symantec... - October 17th, 2020
- Feds, 'Five Eyes' Allies Take Another Swing at Encryption Policy Changes - MeriTalk - October 13th, 2020
- Homomorphic encryption tools find their niche - CSO Online - October 13th, 2020
- Dutton pushes against encryption yet again but oversight at home is slow - ZDNet - October 13th, 2020
- Western governments double down efforts to curtail end-to-end encryption - The Daily Swig - October 13th, 2020
- Fuse Analytics integration with StrongSalt offers Enterprise Information Archiving with GDPR protections - PR Web - October 13th, 2020
- Is Signal Safe? What to Know About the New Encrypted Messaging App - Parentology - October 13th, 2020
- Five Eyes alliance warning: 'Encryption creates severe risks to public safety' - New Zealand Herald - October 13th, 2020
- Privateness or youngster safety? 7 governments, together with US & UK, argue Fb's new encryption plan would profit PEDOPHILES - Editorials 360 - October 13th, 2020
- Optical Encryption Market Analysis And Demand With Forecast Overview To 2025 - Express Journal - October 13th, 2020
- Encrypted messages don't always stay private. Here's what that means for you - CNET - October 11th, 2020
- EARN IT Act a Dire Threat to Encryption, Speech Online, Critics Say - Decrypt - October 11th, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts of Covid-19 on Cloud Encryption Software Market Effects, Aftermath, Global Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast To... - October 11th, 2020
- Parts of the Election System Are Ripe for Hacking: 'Encryption? We Don't Do That' - Josh Kurtz - October 6th, 2020
- WikiLeaks led the way for newsrooms to use encryption to protect sources, says Italian journalist - ComputerWeekly.com - October 6th, 2020
- Global Encryption Software Market 2020 Industry Size, Shares and Upcoming Trends 2025 - Reported Times - October 6th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 2027: Recent Trends, Growth Opportunities and Business Development Strategies By IBM, Trend Micro, Symantec, McaFee,... - October 6th, 2020
- Encryption Key Management Market Research By Growth, Competitive Methods And Forecast To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 6th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market Size, Share, Trends, CAGR by Technology, Key Players, Regions, Cost, Revenue and Forecast 2020 to... - October 6th, 2020
- Global Encryption Software Market 2020 | Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19 | Top Companies:... - October 6th, 2020
- Stay Tuned with the Epic Battle in the Encryption Key Management Market - The Daily Chronicle - October 6th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market To Drive Highest Growth By 2027 With Leading Key Players: Seagate Technology PLC, Western Digital Corp,... - October 6th, 2020
- Encrypted USB flash drive you can unlock with your smartphone (or Apple Watch) - ZDNet - October 6th, 2020
- Global Mobile Encryption Market is slated to grow rapidly in the coming years: McAfee(Intel Corporation), Blackberry, T-Systems International, ESET,... - October 6th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Software Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 6th, 2020
- Best Encryption Software in 2020 - Latest Quadrant Ranking Released by 360Quadrants - PRNewswire - September 30th, 2020
- 4 Reasons Why Encryption Is a Must for Data Protection - CIOReview - September 30th, 2020
- Prospective Node Operators Stake $125M in ETH to Participate in NuCypher Encryption Network - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 30th, 2020
- Fortanix Partners with VMware to Enable Cloud Service Providers to Deliver Data Security as a Service - GlobeNewswire - September 30th, 2020
- SanDisks latest portable SSDs have boosted speed and security - The Verge - September 30th, 2020
- What Facebook users need to know about end-to-end encryption - Fast Company - September 30th, 2020
- Whats really up with your secure WhatsApp chats - Mint - September 30th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Technology Market Trends Together With Growth Forecast To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Market- Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027: By Industrial verticals, Services, and Region. - Unica News - September 30th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Market to Witness a Pronounce Growth During 2020-2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Technology Market with (Covid-19) Impact Analysis: Growth, Latest Trend Analysis and Forecast 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Global Email Encryption Software Market Report 2020-2027: Production Capacity and Consumption Analysis by Regions and Country Wise - Crypto Daily - September 30th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Service Market 2020 | Detailed Analysis, Growth, Research and Forecast - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Database Encryption Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Optical Encryption Industry 2020 Includes The Major Application Segments And Size In The Global Market To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Hardware Based Encryption Market Projected to Be Resilient During 2020-2025 - The Market Records - September 30th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Market (2020-2026) | Where Should Participant Focus To Gain Maximum ROI | Exclusive Report By DataIntelo - Crypto Daily - September 30th, 2020
- Ring plans to offer end-to-end encryption by the end of the year - The Verge - September 29th, 2020