In simple terms, encryption is a secret pass phrase that is applied to the contents of your files to ensure that they are completely unreadable without the means to do so along with that encryption key. Mozy encrypts your files on your computer before they are sent over the Internet to the Mozy cloud. Your files remain encrypted when stored in the Mozy cloud and can only be read if you have both the encryption key and the means to read the encrypted file.
When you install Mozy software, you might be able to select the type of encryption key you want to use for your backups. Whether you can choose and exactly which types of encryption keys are available depends on the type of account you have. MozyHome accounts can choose either the Mozy default encryption key or a personal encryption key. If you use MozyPro or MozyEnterprise, your administrator can determine the encryption key types that you can choose from or whether you can choose at all. That encryption is permanently associated with all files sent to the Mozy cloud from that computer.
You can change the encryption key type after you install the Mozy software. Doing this requires deleting the computer from the account and re-activating the software. If users are permitted to activate the software, a user can re-launch the setup wizard through the software and reactivate. Otherwise, you must uninstall the software, then reinstall and reactivate. The Mozy software then uploads all the files again to ensure that the stored files match the current encryption key.
The type of encryption key that is used determines whether some tasks are seamless and simple or whether extra steps are required. The Mozy default encryption key yields the least complicated experiences. A personal or corporate encryption key requires an extra set of steps for certain tasks. For example, if a personal encryption key is used, that key must be supplied to access files from the Mozy cloud when you use the Mozy mobile app. If a personal or corporate key is used, when you download files from the Mozy cloud using a web browser that you must then also use the Mozy decryption utility to supply that key. If a KMS key is used, you must use the backup software or Restore Manager to download and decrypt files.
With a few exceptions, most features of Mozy are available regardless of which type of encryption key is used.
If you use MozyPro or MozyEnterprise, some features might have been disabled by your administrator. For example, some organizations choose not to permit their users to access their files online.
Mozy separately stores the key. This option lets Mozy automatically decrypt your files when you download or restore them. This is the least complicated, most seamless experience for users, imposing no restrictions on any Mozy features.
To ensure you can download and restore your files, you must either remember your key indefinitely, or you can save it and store it separately. If you choose to save it, a plain text file is saved to the location you choose. The file contains only the characters you entered when creating your key. To ensure you can always provide your key, it is best not to save it only on your computer, which could fail, or only anywhere else which you could easily lose or damage, such as a USB stick.
When you download and restore files, you must supply this key to decrypt those files. Mozy does not have access to your personal encryption key and cannot decrypt files for you. This means that if you lose your key, Mozy cannot help you decrypt your files. Even under force of law, Mozy cannot decrypt your files if you choose to use a personal encryption key. When you reinstall the Mozy software or install it on a replacement computer, you must supply this same key to ensure continued access to files you have previously backed up.
If you choose to use a personal encryption key and you also use the Mozy mobile app, you must provide your personal key to view and download files from the Mozy mobile app. For more information, see Provide Personal Encryption Key in the Mozy Mobile App.
If you choose to use a personal encryption key with Mozy Sync, each instance of the sync software you install must use exactly that same key.
If you use a personal encryption key, several Mozy features are affected.
If you use a corporate encryption key, several Mozy features are affected.
If you use KMS encryption keys, several Mozy features are affected.
If you have a MozyHome account, you can use the same type of encryption key, or the exact same personal encryption key, when you install each instance of the backup software. Or, you can choose to install each instance of the backup software with a different type of encryption key, or a different personal encryption key. You can install Mozy Sync with the same encryption key as the backup software or a different one; however, all your instances of Mozy Sync must use the exact same encryption key. In making these choices during installation, you can choose to create the simplest experience possible when downloading or restoring files. Or, you can choose to be responsible for managing the most secure experience, which can also be the most complex.
If you have a MozyPro or MozyEnterprise account, you might not be able to choose which type of encryption to use. Or, your administrator specifies which types you can choose from. If you can choose, the same considerations that are described for a MozyHome account apply to you as well. As always, if you use Mozy Sync, each installed instance must use not only the same type of encryption, but the exact same key.
With this scheme, you never need to remember or supply an encryption key to use any Mozy features.
With this scheme, you must always be able to provide each key as necessary to use certain Mozy features, particularly when restoring or downloading files, or when installing any Mozy software when you replace any computer.
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Encryption Software Market Report to Share Key Aspects of the Industry with the details of Influence Factors - Scientect - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market: Regional Overview and Trends Evaluation to 2026 - Fractovia News - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market is Expected to reach $2.16 billion by 2020| Growing at a CAGR (compounded annual growth rate) of CAGR of 14.27% from 2014... - September 4th, 2020
- WD unveils encrypted ArmorLock SSD that unlocks using your smartphone - 9to5Toys - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market report, upcoming trends, share report, growth size, industry players and global forecast to 2025 - Galus Australis - September 4th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Encryption Software Market: Global Industry Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2020 2025 - The Daily... - September 4th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Technology Steady Growth to be Witnessed by 2019-2029 - The News Brok - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market to Witness Astonishing Growth by 2026 | Dell , Eset , Gemalto and more - The Daily Chronicle - September 4th, 2020
- IIT Guwahati Research team working towards protecting data from cyber attacks - India Today - September 4th, 2020
- Five Security Blind Spots You Might Not Realize You Have - Government Technology - September 4th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption MARKET 2020 BY MANUFACTURERS, REGIONS, TYPE AND APPLICATION, FORECAST TO 2027 - Scientect - September 4th, 2020
- Network Encryption Market Trends, Outlook and Forecasts to 2025 by: Gemalto, Riverbed Technology, IBM Corporation, SolarWinds Inc., Juniper Networks... - September 4th, 2020
- What is the Importance of Encryption in the Business Network - Enterprise Security Mag - September 2nd, 2020
- How to enable end-to-end encryption for the Nextcloud app - TechRepublic - September 2nd, 2020
- The Feds Need to Listen in on Your Encrypted Knowledge. It is "for the Youngsters." - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - September 2nd, 2020
- NordVPN review: An encryption powerhouse with the best VPN bang for your buck - CNET - September 2nd, 2020
- Homomorphic encryption: Deriving analytics and insights from encrypted data - CSO Online - September 2nd, 2020
- Encryption Key Management 2020-2025 | Global Market Trends, Applications, Size, Types, Key Manufacturers and Forecast Research - The Daily Chronicle - September 2nd, 2020
- AES Encryption Software Market : Global Strategies and Insight driven transformation 2020 2026 - SG Research Sphere - September 2nd, 2020
- IIT Guwahati researchers develop algorithms to protect information like health data from cyberattacks - EdexLive - September 2nd, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Market- Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027: By Industrial verticals, Services, and Region. - Galus Australis - September 2nd, 2020
- Data Encryption Market Size 2020 By Global Business Trends, Share, Future Demand, Leading Players Updates and Forecast to 2026 (Based on 2020 COVID-19... - September 2nd, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Technology Market : Global Trends, Analysis and Forecast 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 2nd, 2020
- How to Encrypt Files with gocryptfs on Linux - How-To Geek - September 2nd, 2020
- GlobeX Data launches Sekur, its secure, encrypted email and messaging solution - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - September 2nd, 2020
- What to do in the event of a ransomware attack - Charity Digital News - September 2nd, 2020
- Activate these 4 WhatsApp settings NOW to stop snoopers including face-lock and encryption - The Sun - September 2nd, 2020
- TLS Is Only as Strong as Its Weakest Link - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - September 2nd, 2020
- Encryption Management Solutions Market Trends, Size, Share, Status, Analysis And Forecast To 2025 - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market Insights Business Opportunities, Current Trends And Restraints Forecast 2026 - Reports Watch - September 2nd, 2020
- 9 ways to build privacy into cloud applications - Reseller News - September 2nd, 2020
- Russia's New Blockchain Voting System Isn't Ready, but It'll Be Used This Month Anyway - Business Blockchain HQ - September 2nd, 2020
- Encryption and endpoint control: the heroes of post-lockdown data security - TEISS - August 20th, 2020
- Global Encryption Software Market 2020: Industry Analysis by Size, Share, Demand, Growth rate and Forecasts Till 2025 - The News Brok - August 20th, 2020
- Techdirt Podcast Episode 252: The Key To Encryption - Techdirt - August 20th, 2020
- Researchers Develop Attacks Targeting End-to-End Encryption in Emails - Decipher - August 20th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market- Global Outlook and Forecast 2018-2026 - Kentucky Journal 24 - August 20th, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts Of COVID-19 On Data Encryption Market Effects, Aftermath And Forecast To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - August 20th, 2020
- Commercial Encryption Software Market Analysis And Demand With Forecast Overvie - News by aeresearch - August 20th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market Estimated to Experience a Hike in Growth by 2026 - Scientect - August 20th, 2020
- Why it's important to encrypt everything, everywhere, all the time - SecurityBrief Asia - August 20th, 2020
- Optical Encryption Market with Brief Introduction, Industry Overview, Scope, Size and Forecast Analysis 2025 - Scientect - August 20th, 2020
- What is On-the-Fly Memory Encryption? - Electropages - August 8th, 2020
- AFP says it made three requests for assistance in breaking encryption in 2019-20 - iTWire - August 8th, 2020
- Blue Canyon Technologies Tapped to Build QETSSat Encryption Satellite - Via Satellite - August 8th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Report to Share Key Aspects of the Industry with the Details of Influence Factors- 2024 - Owned - August 8th, 2020
- Exorcist Ransomware and CIS Exclusion - Security Boulevard - August 8th, 2020
- Beyond Krk: Even more WiFi chips vulnerable to eavesdropping - We Live Security - August 8th, 2020
- Comprehensive Analysis on Endpoint Encryption Software Market based on types and application - The Daily Chronicle - August 8th, 2020
- This hardware-encrypted USB-C drive is rugged, inexpensive, and can run Windows - TechRadar UK - August 8th, 2020
- Zoom's COO is not concerned by app bans in India, says end-to-end encryption for all by year end - Economic Times - August 8th, 2020
- Jihadi Use Of Bots On The Encrypted Messaging Platform Telegram - Middle East Media Research Institute - August 8th, 2020
- Thoughts on encryption legislation - and the real 'link' between 5G and coronavirus - Cloud Tech - July 21st, 2020
- Twitter Urged To Beef Up Encryption 07/20/2020 - MediaPost Communications - July 21st, 2020
- Encryption Software - Market Share Analysis and Research Report by 2025 - CueReport - July 21st, 2020
- Encryption Management Solutions Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis And... - July 21st, 2020
- Research Report on Data Encryption Service Market by Current Industry Status, Growth Opportunities, Top Key Players, and Forecast to 2025 -... - July 21st, 2020
- Bill That Mandates Cyber Backdoors Will Leave Front Doors Wide Open - CPO Magazine - July 21st, 2020
- These encrypted iStorage hard drives and flash drives are the ultimate peace of mind for your data - Boing Boing - July 21st, 2020
- Virtual and face-to-face connect to coexist: Zoom COO - Fortune India - July 21st, 2020
- Facebook's Rolling Out Touch ID and Face ID Lock Options for Messenger - Social Media Today - July 21st, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Technology Market Expeted To Reach xx.xx mn USD With growth Rate of xx by 2025| Pandamic Impact Analysis : Gemalto, Sophos,... - July 21st, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 Comprehensive Analysis With Top Trends, Size, Share, Future Growth Opportunities & Forecast By 2027 - Connected... - July 21st, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies Have 'No Way' to Comply With US Anti-Encryption Bills - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 17th, 2020
- Encryption Key Management Market: Find Out Essential Strategies to expand The Business and Also Check Working in 2020-2027 - Jewish Life News - July 17th, 2020
- Email Encryption Market Worth $9.9 Billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - July 17th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Overviews With Key Players, Size Growth Drivers As Well As Industry Challenges Opportunities To 2027 - Connected Lifestyle - July 17th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 | Covid-19 Impact Analysis and Industry Forecast Report Till 2024 - 3rd Watch News - July 17th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 Overview by Size, Share, Financial Services, Applications, Sales Data and Investment Opportunities till 2025 - Apsters... - July 17th, 2020
- Flash drives and hard drives with military-grade encryption on sale - Mashable - July 17th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Market: Size, Share, Analysis, Regional Outlook and Forecast 2020-2025 - Express Journal - July 17th, 2020
- IoT Security Solution For Encryption Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Endpoint Encryption Software Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Market Report 2020 by Key Players, Types, Applications, Countries, Market Size, Forecast to 2026... - July 6th, 2020
- Explained: WhatApp calls End-to-End Encrypted, but what does it mean for you? - India Today - July 6th, 2020
- The booming business of encrypted tech serving the criminal underworld - Telegraph.co.uk - July 6th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Devices Consumption Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Network Encryption Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Worth $20.1 Billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - Yahoo Finance - June 18th, 2020
- Zoom says free users will get end-to-end encryption after all - The Verge - June 18th, 2020