The investigating officer said if released on bail, the suspects would likely try to dispose of evidence.
There is evidence out there. There are exhibits out there that we are tracking and some of the accused have knowledge of where the evidence is. The first thing they would do is to dispose of that.
Investigations were ongoing and at a sensitive stage, he said.
The investigating officer told the court bail conditions would not make a difference as bail money meant nothing to the suspects.
It will not be in the interests of justice to grant the accused bail.
It also emerged in court that Norman was allegedly part of the management of a syndicate.
It was determined he is part of the management structures of the syndicate. He together with accused four [Rashied Baderoen], were in Gauteng and were monitoring the load that was being moved. We identified them when they were going to meet their lawyer, who was also in possession of an encrypted device, he said.
He told the court the state had a strong case and said the evidence against Rashied was overwhelming.
The bail application continues.
During the court proceedings on Tuesday, the investigating officer gave the court background on how the suspects were linked to the cocaine bust and subsequently arrested.
He said the five men were linked through the encrypted cellphones, created by the FBI to monitor criminal syndicates.
I received the information together with the information received from Australian federal police (AFP). The information was related to a syndicate operating internationally as well as in SA in relation to drugs, in particular cocaine.
The syndicate members would make use of encrypted devices known as Anom. The FBI in 2018 created these devices with the assistance of criminals they had arrested. These criminals assisted the FBI in creating a platform as well as a platform for these devices to operate from or through. From 2018 the FBI was listening to encrypted conversations and communications from criminals across the world, he said.
He said they were able to use the Anom devices' GPS and physical surveillance to link the accused to the devices.
The accused were communicating at some stage, he said.
There were communications about a meeting between Norman, Rashied and De Kock to discuss what went wrong after the drug bust and how information was leaked. There were communications where it was specifically mentioned that they must change their operation style as they might get caught.
The investigating officer said De Kock was in constant communication with members of the syndicates.
The investigating officer said a normal person cannot buy such a device from a shop.
The accused have gone to great lengths to conceal their identities. A typical cost for a device like this would range from R15,000 to R25,000. The device comes with a handle name so you will not have to expose your identity, he said.
He said on June 2 from the information received from a source, surveillance was conducted at a premises in Kyalami, Gauteng, that Van Zyl was renting.
He said Van Zyl left the property in a bakkie towing a ski boat.
Van Zyl was later arrested on the N1 near Pretoria on 2 June after being found in possession of a large quantity of cocaine.
He had four cellphones in the vehicle, of which I suspect one is the Anom device. This will be verified by the FBI.
He said it was extremely difficult to arrest the suspects and it was a timely process.
The investigating officer said if released on bail, the suspects would likely try to dispose of evidence.
There is evidence out there. There are exhibits out there that we are tracking and some of the accused know where the evidence is.
He said no bail conditions would be a deterrent to the accused as they have access to funds and the means to relocate.
For them to disappear is very easy. This is definitely part of a syndicate with involvement in Europe and in Australia there are other role players. It's an international matter. We have an extremely strong case against all accused in court, he said.
The matter was postponed to October 15, 18 and 19 for continuation of the bail applications.
- WhatsApp to bring in encryption for backup chats after privacy fears - The Guardian - October 15th, 2021
- WhatsApp end-to-end encrypted backups are rolling out on both Android and iOS - GSMArena.com news - GSMArena.com - October 15th, 2021
- Encryption: Why security threats coast under the radar - Philstar.com - October 15th, 2021
- Encryption Management Solutions Market 2021 : Industry Analysis ,Size, Share, Revenue, Prominent Players, Developing Technologies, Tendencies and... - October 15th, 2021
- TLS Support Redis - October 12th, 2021
- Signal >> Documentation - October 12th, 2021
- Encryption Consulting announces their first-ever virtual conference - "Encryption Consulting Virtual conference 2021." - Tyler Morning... - October 12th, 2021
- [Update: Rolling out] WhatsApp adds end-to-end encryption for Android cloud backups - 9to5Google - October 12th, 2021
- Homomorphic Encryption Market New Coming Industry to Witness Great Growth Opportunities in Coming Years From 2021 to 2027: Microsoft (US), IBM... - October 12th, 2021
- SmartKargo Incorporates EDIfly Advanced Aviation Messaging At No Cost for Customers of its E-Commerce Logistics Solution - Yahoo Finance - October 12th, 2021
- No outages, no data leaks: The new WhatsApp killer built on the blockchain creates privacy-focused encrypted messenger - Cointelegraph - October 12th, 2021
- Mosyle's $ 16M Series A Drives Growth by Launching the Mosyle Business with the Market's First Encrypted DNS Filtering and Security Solution -... - October 6th, 2021
- Tips to Secure and Encrypt your WIFI Network Security - H2S Media - October 6th, 2021
- Data Encryption Standard (DES)? - All You Need to Know | Techfunnel - TechFunnel - October 4th, 2021
- XSOC CORP Recognized by CyberSecurity Breakthrough Awards Program for Overall Encryption Solution of the Year - Business Wire - October 4th, 2021
- Encryption: Why security threats coast under the radar - Express Computer - October 4th, 2021
- Hardware Encryption Devices Market 2021 Technology Development, Key Manufacturers, Forecast Based on Major Drivers and Trends Up to 2027 - Digital... - October 4th, 2021
- Container security without governance is neither secure nor governed - The Register - October 4th, 2021
- Sectigo Certificate Manager Wins 2021 CyberSecurity Breakthrough Award for Overall Encryption Solution Provider of the Year - PRNewswire - October 4th, 2021
- Customs and Border Protection Signs Major Contract With Amazon-Owned Encrypted Chat App Wickr - Gizmodo - October 4th, 2021
- Encryption cant be used as excuse to deny sharing details to law enforcement: Govt - The Financial Express - October 4th, 2021
- Facebook announces WhatsApp end-to-end encrypted (E2EE) backups - Techiexpert.com - TechiExpert.com - October 4th, 2021
- Bluefin Issues New Payment Security Brief on PCI-validated P2PE for Petroleum and Convenience Stores - PR Web - October 4th, 2021
- Get a lifetime of easy, automatic encryption for all of the files on your computer for just $30 - ZDNet - September 24th, 2021
- Tide encryption is ready to end the cyber breach pandemic - TechCrunch - September 24th, 2021
- The FBI has kept the presence of the encryption key secret from Casey for three weeks. - Cheraw Chronicle - September 24th, 2021
- Braves non-tracking, browser-based video conferencing tool is out of beta - TechCrunch - September 24th, 2021
- 5 ways to stay ahead of government-targeted ransomware - GCN.com - September 24th, 2021
- Encryption Software Market expectation surges with rising demand and changing trends by industry analysis through 2026 Stillwater Current -... - September 24th, 2021
- What Is a Hardware Security Module? HSMs Explained - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - September 24th, 2021
- Making the Most from WEP - Wi-FiPlanet.com - Wi-Fi Planet - September 24th, 2021
- Brave, the startup behind untracked browser-based video conferencing tool is out of beta - Security News - BollyInside - September 24th, 2021
- Hardware Encryption Devices Market Is Expected To Witness Healthy Growth At A CAGR Of More Than 40% - Herefordshire Live - Herefordshire Live - September 24th, 2021
- WhatsApp launches encryption in iCloud and Google Drive backups - InTallaght - September 24th, 2021
- WhatsApp boosts end-to-end encryption - BusinessTech - September 17th, 2021
- WhatsApp to offer encryption on cloud backups: Heres all you need to know - India Today - September 17th, 2021
- London's Top Cop Says 'Big Tech,' Encryption Are Letting The Terrorists Win - Techdirt - September 17th, 2021
- Zoom unveils new security features including end-to-end encryption for Zoom Phone, verified identities and... - ZDNet - September 15th, 2021
- Insights on the Hardware Encryption Global Market to 2026 - by Algorithm & Standard, Architecture, Product, Application and Region - PRNewswire - September 15th, 2021
- Light Start: WhatsApp rolls out backup encryption, LG is more attractive, Google goes dark and iPhones only laak gud vaabs Stuff - Stuff Magazines - September 15th, 2021
- Revenant REvil. WhatsApp offers encryption. Hortum spyware in Turkey. Update on the UN data breach. Healthcare breaches disclosed. - The CyberWire - September 15th, 2021
- How a glitch in the Matrix led to apps potentially exposing encrypted chats - The Register - September 15th, 2021
- Secure cloud storage: which are the most secure providers? - ITProPortal - September 15th, 2021
- WhatsApp is finally allowing users to encrypt chat backups uploaded to iCloud and Google Drive - Buzz.ie - September 15th, 2021
- WhatsApp is adding encrypted backups - The Verge - September 11th, 2021
- What Is Fully Homomorphic Encryption (FHE)? - CIO Insight - September 11th, 2021
- WhatsApp end-to-end encrypted messages arent that private after all - Ars Technica - September 11th, 2021
- UK government backs Apple, and wants to scan encrypted messages for CSAM - 9to5Mac - September 11th, 2021
- VPN and Email Encryption Provider, WiTopia, Inc., Is Now Raising Capital Via StartEngine - PRNewswire - September 11th, 2021
- Future in the cloud for encryption - Capacity Media - September 8th, 2021
- WhatsApps Claims Of End-To-End Encryption Might Be Entirely True - Ubergizmo - September 8th, 2021
- Debunking Wi-Fi Security Myths: Wi-Fi Encryption Is Weak - TechSpective - September 8th, 2021
- WhatsApp Flaw Casts Doubt on End-to-End Encryption - Security Boulevard - September 8th, 2021
- Bluefin Receives U.S. Patent on Systems for Vaultless Tokenization and Encryption - WFMZ Allentown - September 8th, 2021
- Priti Patel backs ad campaign that criticises Facebook's stance on end-to-end encryption - Graham Cluley Security News - September 8th, 2021
- EXCLUSIVE: What's in the new zero-trust strategy - Politico - September 8th, 2021
- 3 ways to protect yourself from cyberattacks in the midst of an IT security skill shortage - Help Net Security - September 8th, 2021
- Apple Has Betrayed Its Privacy Legacy and Will Undermine End-to-end Encryption Everywhere - Privacy News Online - September 8th, 2021
- IBM's first 7nm Power10 chip arrives in E1080 server system with a wealth of shiny features - The Register - September 8th, 2021
- The adoption of multi-cloud drives the need for better data protection and management of encryption keys an... - Security Boulevard - August 26th, 2021
- Cryptomator Vs. BoxCryptor: Which One Is The Best Encryption Software? - Analytics Insight - August 26th, 2021
- Why you should encrypt your data on your computer and how to do it - The Star Online - August 26th, 2021
- Video end-to-end encryption on Ring to be available worldwide - ITP.net - August 26th, 2021
- What is a Vocoder? How an audio encryption device used in WW2 became the sound of electro and modern pop - Mixdown - August 26th, 2021
- Privacera partners with StreamSets to strengthen data security for ETL processing in the cloud - Help Net Security - August 26th, 2021
- Evervaults encryption as a service is now open access - TechCrunch - August 24th, 2021
- How to Encrypt Your Own Windows and Mac Devices (and Why You Need To) - Lifehacker - August 24th, 2021
- Why encryption is the key to digital fitness, according to Thales - iTnews - August 24th, 2021
- How to check each of your WhatsApp chats are ACTUALLY private right now and not being intercepted by h... - The Sun - August 24th, 2021
- WebCam: How Australia paved the way for Apple's encryption backflip - Crikey - August 24th, 2021
- Staggering 400% rise in child sexual abuse images detected by Facebook as fears over encryption plans g... - The Sun - August 24th, 2021
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market 2021 and Analysis to 2027 Micron Technology Inc, Seagate Technology PLC, Toshiba, Intel - The Market... - August 24th, 2021
- WhatsApp could soon have an iPad app for the first time - Engadget - August 24th, 2021
- Facebook is bringing end-to-end encryption to Messenger calls and Instagram DMs - TechCrunch - August 14th, 2021
- Apple opens the encryption Pandora's box - Axios - August 14th, 2021
- How to encrypt your computer (and why you should) - Mashable - August 14th, 2021
- Protects User Privacy With Encryption and Authentication - Security Magazine - August 14th, 2021
- An Overview of Blockchain in Supply Chain: Whats the Link? - JD Supra - August 14th, 2021
- Facebook introduces end-to-end encryption for its voice & video call features - Techstory - August 14th, 2021
- Hardware Encryption Devices Market Research Report 2021 Elaborate Analysis With Growth Forecast To 2027 Intel, Toshiba, Micron Technology Inc,... - August 14th, 2021