Researchers were able to show how an adversary could automatically install certificates contained in S/MIME communications. For example, the researchers identified a design flaw in a clients key update mechanism which could be abused to replace the public keys used in encrypted S/MIME communications. The researchers were able to silently replace the encryption key for six S/MIME-supporting email clients.
A man-in-the-middle attack would involve an internet or email provider, or a compromised SMTP or IMAP server.
Email clients could also be tricked into into decrypting ciphertext messages or signing arbitrary messages and then sending them to an IMAP server controlled by the attacker. For three OpenPGP-capable clients, the researchers exfiltrated the plaintext to an IMAP server controlled by an attacker, or misused the clients as signing oracles.
The researchers tested 20 popular email clients, supporting either S/MIME or OpenPGP, from a list of more than 50 clients across major platforms (Windows, Linux, macOS, Android, and iOS), as well as web-based applications. As the table (Table 2 from the paper) shows, researchers were able to replace the keys in the Windows versions of Microsoft Outlook. "For Microsoft Outlook, we could verify theexistence of this dangerous feature since at least Outlook 2007," the researchers wrote.
An evaluation shows that 8 out of 20 tested email clients are vulnerable to at least one attack, the researchers found. More specifically, five out of 18 OpenPGP-capable email clients and six out of 18 S/MIME-capable clients were vulnerable to at least one attack.
The researchers were also able to abuse the mailto: URI method, which allows third-party applications to open a separate email client to compose a message, to secretly attach local files to email messages and sent to an attackers address. The mailto method is often used on websites, where clicking on a link can launch the locally installed email client with the recipient field (To) pre-populated with the email address the message is going to. It is possible to pre-populate other fields, such as a subject line and even the body of the message.
The issue lies in how email clients implemented RFC6068, the technical standard describing mailto. The researchers found that several standard parameters the mailto URI passes to the email client could be abused to trick the email client into decrypting ciphertext messages, or signing messages and sending them to attackers, the researchers said. One example of this is how the mailto method uses the attach or attachment parameters to open up an email window with a file already attached. If the user does not notice that the email window has the file attached, the user could inadvertently send sensitive information such as encryption (PGP) keys, SSH private keys, configuration files, and other sensitive information.
Researcher Mller posted a video on Twitter illustrating how mailto parameters could be abused. The researchers were able to perform this attack on four of the tested clients.
The researchers were able to attach files by knowing the exact file paths for the desired files, using wildcard characters to attach multiple files in a given location, or using URLs pointing to internal network shares. They were also able to use IMAP links to steal email messages from a user's IMAP email inbox.
The vulnerabilities have been reported to the affected vendors back in February. The list includes IBM/HCL Notes (CVE-2020-4089), GNOME Evolution (CVE-2020-11879), and KDE KMail (CVE-2020-11880). The details for CVE-2020-12618, and CVE-2020-12619 have not been made public. Thunderbird versions 52 and 60 for Debian/Kali Linux were affected as they had problems with the mailto parameter allowing local files (such as an SSH private key) to be attached to outgoing messages. Recent versions of Thunderbird are not vulnerable, as the issue with the mailto?attach= parameter was fixed in Thunderbird last year.
While our attacks do not target the underlying cryptographic primitives, they raise concerns about the practical security of OpenPGP and S/MIME email applications, the researchers wrote.
- US Department of Justice reignites the Battle to Break Encryption - Naked Security - October 17th, 2020
- Five Eyes Call for Tech World to Weaken Encryption - ClearanceJobs - ClearanceJobs - October 17th, 2020
- Zoom Begins Rollout of End-To-End Encryption - My TechDecisions - TechDecisions - October 17th, 2020
- Could homomorphic encryption be the solution to big data's problem? - Siliconrepublic.com - October 17th, 2020
- U.S., UK and other countries warn tech firms that encryption creates 'severe risks' to public safety - CNBC - October 17th, 2020
- Is Signal secure? How the messaging app protects privacy - Business Insider - Business Insider - October 17th, 2020
- AeroVironment and Viasat to aim to improve radio encryption for Puma AE - Flightglobal - October 17th, 2020
- Encryption Backdoor? The Trump Administration Wants It. - The National Interest - October 17th, 2020
- How to use private conversations on Skype to send encrypted calls and messages - Business Insider India - October 17th, 2020
- AES Encryption Software Industry Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19 Impact | Top... - October 17th, 2020
- Trustifi Named Overall Encryption Solution Provider of the Year in 2020 CyberSecurity Breakthrough Awards Program - GlobeNewswire - October 17th, 2020
- ACLU and EFF Call DOJ's Encryption Dream a Nightmare - L.A. Weekly - October 17th, 2020
- Global Database Encryption Market Expected to reach highest CAGR in forecast period : International Business Machines Corporation, Symantec... - October 17th, 2020
- Feds, 'Five Eyes' Allies Take Another Swing at Encryption Policy Changes - MeriTalk - October 13th, 2020
- Homomorphic encryption tools find their niche - CSO Online - October 13th, 2020
- Mission Impossible: 7 Countries Tell Facebook To Break Encryption - Forbes - October 13th, 2020
- Dutton pushes against encryption yet again but oversight at home is slow - ZDNet - October 13th, 2020
- Western governments double down efforts to curtail end-to-end encryption - The Daily Swig - October 13th, 2020
- Fuse Analytics integration with StrongSalt offers Enterprise Information Archiving with GDPR protections - PR Web - October 13th, 2020
- Is Signal Safe? What to Know About the New Encrypted Messaging App - Parentology - October 13th, 2020
- Five Eyes alliance warning: 'Encryption creates severe risks to public safety' - New Zealand Herald - October 13th, 2020
- Privateness or youngster safety? 7 governments, together with US & UK, argue Fb's new encryption plan would profit PEDOPHILES - Editorials 360 - October 13th, 2020
- Optical Encryption Market Analysis And Demand With Forecast Overview To 2025 - Express Journal - October 13th, 2020
- Encrypted messages don't always stay private. Here's what that means for you - CNET - October 11th, 2020
- EARN IT Act a Dire Threat to Encryption, Speech Online, Critics Say - Decrypt - October 11th, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts of Covid-19 on Cloud Encryption Software Market Effects, Aftermath, Global Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast To... - October 11th, 2020
- Parts of the Election System Are Ripe for Hacking: 'Encryption? We Don't Do That' - Josh Kurtz - October 6th, 2020
- WikiLeaks led the way for newsrooms to use encryption to protect sources, says Italian journalist - ComputerWeekly.com - October 6th, 2020
- Global Encryption Software Market 2020 Industry Size, Shares and Upcoming Trends 2025 - Reported Times - October 6th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 2027: Recent Trends, Growth Opportunities and Business Development Strategies By IBM, Trend Micro, Symantec, McaFee,... - October 6th, 2020
- Encryption Key Management Market Research By Growth, Competitive Methods And Forecast To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 6th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market Size, Share, Trends, CAGR by Technology, Key Players, Regions, Cost, Revenue and Forecast 2020 to... - October 6th, 2020
- Global Encryption Software Market 2020 | Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19 | Top Companies:... - October 6th, 2020
- Stay Tuned with the Epic Battle in the Encryption Key Management Market - The Daily Chronicle - October 6th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market To Drive Highest Growth By 2027 With Leading Key Players: Seagate Technology PLC, Western Digital Corp,... - October 6th, 2020
- Encrypted USB flash drive you can unlock with your smartphone (or Apple Watch) - ZDNet - October 6th, 2020
- Global Mobile Encryption Market is slated to grow rapidly in the coming years: McAfee(Intel Corporation), Blackberry, T-Systems International, ESET,... - October 6th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Software Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 6th, 2020
- Best Encryption Software in 2020 - Latest Quadrant Ranking Released by 360Quadrants - PRNewswire - September 30th, 2020
- 4 Reasons Why Encryption Is a Must for Data Protection - CIOReview - September 30th, 2020
- Prospective Node Operators Stake $125M in ETH to Participate in NuCypher Encryption Network - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 30th, 2020
- Fortanix Partners with VMware to Enable Cloud Service Providers to Deliver Data Security as a Service - GlobeNewswire - September 30th, 2020
- SanDisks latest portable SSDs have boosted speed and security - The Verge - September 30th, 2020
- What Facebook users need to know about end-to-end encryption - Fast Company - September 30th, 2020
- Whats really up with your secure WhatsApp chats - Mint - September 30th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Technology Market Trends Together With Growth Forecast To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Market- Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027: By Industrial verticals, Services, and Region. - Unica News - September 30th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Market to Witness a Pronounce Growth During 2020-2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Technology Market with (Covid-19) Impact Analysis: Growth, Latest Trend Analysis and Forecast 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Global Email Encryption Software Market Report 2020-2027: Production Capacity and Consumption Analysis by Regions and Country Wise - Crypto Daily - September 30th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Service Market 2020 | Detailed Analysis, Growth, Research and Forecast - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Database Encryption Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Optical Encryption Industry 2020 Includes The Major Application Segments And Size In The Global Market To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Hardware Based Encryption Market Projected to Be Resilient During 2020-2025 - The Market Records - September 30th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Market (2020-2026) | Where Should Participant Focus To Gain Maximum ROI | Exclusive Report By DataIntelo - Crypto Daily - September 30th, 2020
- Ring plans to offer end-to-end encryption by the end of the year - The Verge - September 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Comprehensive Study With Key Trends, Major Drivers And Challenges 2020-2026 - The Market Records - September 29th, 2020
- Ring to offer opt-in end-to-end encryption for videos beginning later this year - TechCrunch - September 29th, 2020
- WhatsApp Encryption Is Not Foolproof; Chats Can Be Accessed In These Ways - Yahoo India News - September 29th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Market Forecast to 2027 Covid-19 Impact and Global Analysis by Type, Deployment Type and Industry Vertical... - September 29th, 2020
- EU Still Asking For The Impossible (And The Unnecessary): 'Lawful Access' To Encrypted Material That Doesn't Break Encryption - Techdirt - September 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Report Examines Growth Overview And Predictions On Size, Share And Trend Through 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Russia Is Trying Something New to Isolate Its Internet From the Rest of the World - Slate - September 29th, 2020
- Network Encryption Market From 2020-2026: Growth Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Types And Applications - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Size, Analytical Overview, Key Players, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends And Forecast to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Top Technologies To Achieve Security And Privacy Of Sensitive Data In AI Models - Analytics India Magazine - September 29th, 2020
- Database Encryption Market Analysis and the Impact of COVID-19 Key Vendors, Growth Rate and Forecast To 2028 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Technology Market Size, Analytical Overview, Key Players, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends And Forecast to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis And Forecast To 2026 |... - September 29th, 2020
- WhatsApp says end-to-end encryption to protects chats among app however not cloud backups - Stanford Arts Review - September 29th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market 2020-2028 Research Report| Know The Growth Factors and Future Scope - The Daily Chronicle - September 25th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market to Witness Astonishing Growth by 2026 | Ciphercloud, Gemalto, Hytrust and more - Crypto Daily - September 25th, 2020
- One Way to Prevent Police From Surveilling Your Phone - The Intercept - September 25th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Encryption Software Market Report to Share Key Aspects of the Industry with the details of Influence Factors - Scientect - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market: Regional Overview and Trends Evaluation to 2026 - Fractovia News - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market is Expected to reach $2.16 billion by 2020| Growing at a CAGR (compounded annual growth rate) of CAGR of 14.27% from 2014... - September 4th, 2020
- WD unveils encrypted ArmorLock SSD that unlocks using your smartphone - 9to5Toys - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market report, upcoming trends, share report, growth size, industry players and global forecast to 2025 - Galus Australis - September 4th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Encryption Software Market: Global Industry Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2020 2025 - The Daily... - September 4th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Technology Steady Growth to be Witnessed by 2019-2029 - The News Brok - September 4th, 2020