31 December,2015Jason Parms
Information security has grown to be a colossal factor, especially with modern communication networks, leaving loopholes that could be leveraged to devastating effects. This article presents a discussion on two popular encryption schemes that can be used to tighten communication security in Symmetric and Asymmetric Encryption. In principle, the best way to commence this discussion is to start from the basics first. Thus, we look at the definitions of algorithms and key cryptographic concepts and then dive into the core part of the discussion where we present a comparison of the two techniques.
An algorithm is basically a procedure or a formula for solving a data snooping problem. An encryption algorithm is a set of mathematical procedure for performing encryption on data. Through the use of such an algorithm, information is made in the cipher text and requires the use of a key to transforming the data into its original form. This brings us to the concept of cryptography that has long been used in information security in communication systems.
Cryptography is a method of using advanced mathematical principles in storing and transmitting data in a particular form so that only those whom it is intended can read and process it. Encryption is a key concept in cryptography It is a process whereby a message is encoded in a format that cannot be read or understood by an eavesdropper. The technique is old and was first used by Caesar to encrypt his messages using Caesar cipher. A plain text from a user can be encrypted to a ciphertext, then send through a communication channel and no eavesdropper can interfere with the plain text. When it reaches the receiver end, the ciphertext is decrypted to the original plain text.
This is the simplest kind of encryption that involves only one secret key to cipher and decipher information. Symmetrical encryption is an old and best-known technique. It uses a secret key that can either be a number, a word or a string of random letters. It is a blended with the plain text of a message to change the content in a particular way. The sender and the recipient should know the secret key that is used to encrypt and decrypt all the messages. Blowfish, AES, RC4, DES, RC5, and RC6 are examples of symmetric encryption. The most widely used symmetric algorithm is AES-128, AES-192, and AES-256.
The main disadvantage of the symmetric key encryption is that all parties involved have to exchange the key used to encrypt the data before they can decrypt it.
Asymmetrical encryption is also known as public key cryptography, which is a relatively new method, compared to symmetric encryption. Asymmetric encryption uses two keys to encrypt a plain text. Secret keys are exchanged over the Internet or a large network. It ensures that malicious persons do not misuse the keys. It is important to note that anyone with a secret key can decrypt the message and this is why asymmetrical encryption uses two related keys to boosting security. A public key is made freely available to anyone who might want to send you a message. The second private key is kept a secret so that you can only know.
A message that is encrypted using a public key can only be decrypted using a private key, while also, a message encrypted using a private key can be decrypted using a public key. Security of the public key is not required because it is publicly available and can be passed over the internet. Asymmetric key has a far better power in ensuring the security of information transmitted during communication.
Asymmetric encryption is mostly used in day-to-day communication channels, especially over the Internet. Popular asymmetric key encryption algorithm includes EIGamal, RSA, DSA, Elliptic curve techniques, PKCS.
To use asymmetric encryption, there must be a way of discovering public keys. One typical technique is using digital certificates in a client-server model of communication. A certificate is a package of information that identifies a user and a server. It contains information such as an organizations name, the organization that issued the certificate, the users email address and country, and users public key.
When a server and a client require a secure encrypted communication, they send a query over the network to the other party, which sends back a copy of the certificate. The other partys public key can be extracted from the certificate. A certificate can also be used to uniquely identify the holder.
SSL/TLS uses both asymmetric and symmetric encryption, quickly look at digitally signed SSL certificates issued by trusted certificate authorities (CAs).
When it comes to encryption, the latest schemes may necessarily the best fit. You should always use the encryption algorithm that is right for the task at hand. In fact, as cryptography takes a new shift, new algorithms are being developed in a bid to catch up with the eavesdroppers and secure information to enhance confidentiality. Hackers are bound to make it tough for experts in the coming years, thus expect more from the cryptographic community!
Read the rest here:
Symmetric vs. Asymmetric Encryption What are differences?
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Encryption Software Market Report to Share Key Aspects of the Industry with the details of Influence Factors - Scientect - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market: Regional Overview and Trends Evaluation to 2026 - Fractovia News - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market is Expected to reach $2.16 billion by 2020| Growing at a CAGR (compounded annual growth rate) of CAGR of 14.27% from 2014... - September 4th, 2020
- WD unveils encrypted ArmorLock SSD that unlocks using your smartphone - 9to5Toys - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market report, upcoming trends, share report, growth size, industry players and global forecast to 2025 - Galus Australis - September 4th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Encryption Software Market: Global Industry Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2020 2025 - The Daily... - September 4th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Technology Steady Growth to be Witnessed by 2019-2029 - The News Brok - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market to Witness Astonishing Growth by 2026 | Dell , Eset , Gemalto and more - The Daily Chronicle - September 4th, 2020
- IIT Guwahati Research team working towards protecting data from cyber attacks - India Today - September 4th, 2020
- Five Security Blind Spots You Might Not Realize You Have - Government Technology - September 4th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption MARKET 2020 BY MANUFACTURERS, REGIONS, TYPE AND APPLICATION, FORECAST TO 2027 - Scientect - September 4th, 2020
- Network Encryption Market Trends, Outlook and Forecasts to 2025 by: Gemalto, Riverbed Technology, IBM Corporation, SolarWinds Inc., Juniper Networks... - September 4th, 2020
- What is the Importance of Encryption in the Business Network - Enterprise Security Mag - September 2nd, 2020
- How to enable end-to-end encryption for the Nextcloud app - TechRepublic - September 2nd, 2020
- The Feds Need to Listen in on Your Encrypted Knowledge. It is "for the Youngsters." - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - September 2nd, 2020
- NordVPN review: An encryption powerhouse with the best VPN bang for your buck - CNET - September 2nd, 2020
- Homomorphic encryption: Deriving analytics and insights from encrypted data - CSO Online - September 2nd, 2020
- Encryption Key Management 2020-2025 | Global Market Trends, Applications, Size, Types, Key Manufacturers and Forecast Research - The Daily Chronicle - September 2nd, 2020
- AES Encryption Software Market : Global Strategies and Insight driven transformation 2020 2026 - SG Research Sphere - September 2nd, 2020
- IIT Guwahati researchers develop algorithms to protect information like health data from cyberattacks - EdexLive - September 2nd, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Market- Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027: By Industrial verticals, Services, and Region. - Galus Australis - September 2nd, 2020
- Data Encryption Market Size 2020 By Global Business Trends, Share, Future Demand, Leading Players Updates and Forecast to 2026 (Based on 2020 COVID-19... - September 2nd, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Technology Market : Global Trends, Analysis and Forecast 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 2nd, 2020
- How to Encrypt Files with gocryptfs on Linux - How-To Geek - September 2nd, 2020
- GlobeX Data launches Sekur, its secure, encrypted email and messaging solution - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - September 2nd, 2020
- What to do in the event of a ransomware attack - Charity Digital News - September 2nd, 2020
- Activate these 4 WhatsApp settings NOW to stop snoopers including face-lock and encryption - The Sun - September 2nd, 2020
- TLS Is Only as Strong as Its Weakest Link - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - September 2nd, 2020
- Encryption Management Solutions Market Trends, Size, Share, Status, Analysis And Forecast To 2025 - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market Insights Business Opportunities, Current Trends And Restraints Forecast 2026 - Reports Watch - September 2nd, 2020
- 9 ways to build privacy into cloud applications - Reseller News - September 2nd, 2020
- Russia's New Blockchain Voting System Isn't Ready, but It'll Be Used This Month Anyway - Business Blockchain HQ - September 2nd, 2020
- Encryption and endpoint control: the heroes of post-lockdown data security - TEISS - August 20th, 2020
- Global Encryption Software Market 2020: Industry Analysis by Size, Share, Demand, Growth rate and Forecasts Till 2025 - The News Brok - August 20th, 2020
- Techdirt Podcast Episode 252: The Key To Encryption - Techdirt - August 20th, 2020
- Researchers Develop Attacks Targeting End-to-End Encryption in Emails - Decipher - August 20th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market- Global Outlook and Forecast 2018-2026 - Kentucky Journal 24 - August 20th, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts Of COVID-19 On Data Encryption Market Effects, Aftermath And Forecast To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - August 20th, 2020
- Commercial Encryption Software Market Analysis And Demand With Forecast Overvie - News by aeresearch - August 20th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market Estimated to Experience a Hike in Growth by 2026 - Scientect - August 20th, 2020
- Why it's important to encrypt everything, everywhere, all the time - SecurityBrief Asia - August 20th, 2020
- Optical Encryption Market with Brief Introduction, Industry Overview, Scope, Size and Forecast Analysis 2025 - Scientect - August 20th, 2020
- What is On-the-Fly Memory Encryption? - Electropages - August 8th, 2020
- AFP says it made three requests for assistance in breaking encryption in 2019-20 - iTWire - August 8th, 2020
- Blue Canyon Technologies Tapped to Build QETSSat Encryption Satellite - Via Satellite - August 8th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Report to Share Key Aspects of the Industry with the Details of Influence Factors- 2024 - Owned - August 8th, 2020
- Exorcist Ransomware and CIS Exclusion - Security Boulevard - August 8th, 2020
- Beyond Krk: Even more WiFi chips vulnerable to eavesdropping - We Live Security - August 8th, 2020
- Comprehensive Analysis on Endpoint Encryption Software Market based on types and application - The Daily Chronicle - August 8th, 2020
- This hardware-encrypted USB-C drive is rugged, inexpensive, and can run Windows - TechRadar UK - August 8th, 2020
- Zoom's COO is not concerned by app bans in India, says end-to-end encryption for all by year end - Economic Times - August 8th, 2020
- Jihadi Use Of Bots On The Encrypted Messaging Platform Telegram - Middle East Media Research Institute - August 8th, 2020
- Thoughts on encryption legislation - and the real 'link' between 5G and coronavirus - Cloud Tech - July 21st, 2020
- Twitter Urged To Beef Up Encryption 07/20/2020 - MediaPost Communications - July 21st, 2020
- Encryption Software - Market Share Analysis and Research Report by 2025 - CueReport - July 21st, 2020
- Encryption Management Solutions Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis And... - July 21st, 2020
- Research Report on Data Encryption Service Market by Current Industry Status, Growth Opportunities, Top Key Players, and Forecast to 2025 -... - July 21st, 2020
- Bill That Mandates Cyber Backdoors Will Leave Front Doors Wide Open - CPO Magazine - July 21st, 2020
- These encrypted iStorage hard drives and flash drives are the ultimate peace of mind for your data - Boing Boing - July 21st, 2020
- Virtual and face-to-face connect to coexist: Zoom COO - Fortune India - July 21st, 2020
- Facebook's Rolling Out Touch ID and Face ID Lock Options for Messenger - Social Media Today - July 21st, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Technology Market Expeted To Reach xx.xx mn USD With growth Rate of xx by 2025| Pandamic Impact Analysis : Gemalto, Sophos,... - July 21st, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 Comprehensive Analysis With Top Trends, Size, Share, Future Growth Opportunities & Forecast By 2027 - Connected... - July 21st, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies Have 'No Way' to Comply With US Anti-Encryption Bills - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 17th, 2020
- Encryption Key Management Market: Find Out Essential Strategies to expand The Business and Also Check Working in 2020-2027 - Jewish Life News - July 17th, 2020
- Email Encryption Market Worth $9.9 Billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - July 17th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Overviews With Key Players, Size Growth Drivers As Well As Industry Challenges Opportunities To 2027 - Connected Lifestyle - July 17th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 | Covid-19 Impact Analysis and Industry Forecast Report Till 2024 - 3rd Watch News - July 17th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 Overview by Size, Share, Financial Services, Applications, Sales Data and Investment Opportunities till 2025 - Apsters... - July 17th, 2020
- Flash drives and hard drives with military-grade encryption on sale - Mashable - July 17th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Market: Size, Share, Analysis, Regional Outlook and Forecast 2020-2025 - Express Journal - July 17th, 2020
- IoT Security Solution For Encryption Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Endpoint Encryption Software Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Market Report 2020 by Key Players, Types, Applications, Countries, Market Size, Forecast to 2026... - July 6th, 2020
- Explained: WhatApp calls End-to-End Encrypted, but what does it mean for you? - India Today - July 6th, 2020
- The booming business of encrypted tech serving the criminal underworld - Telegraph.co.uk - July 6th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Devices Consumption Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Network Encryption Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Worth $20.1 Billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - Yahoo Finance - June 18th, 2020
- Zoom says free users will get end-to-end encryption after all - The Verge - June 18th, 2020