Since its release on Sunday, experts and members of the public alike have raised privacy concerns with the federal governments COVIDSafe mobile app.
The contact tracing app aims to stop COVID-19s spread by tracing interactions between users via Bluetooth, and alerting those who may have been in proximity with a confirmed case.
Read more: Explainer: what is contact tracing and how does it help limit the coronavirus spread?
According to a recent poll commissioned by The Guardian, out of 1054 respondents, 57% said they were concerned about the security of personal information collected through COVIDSafe.
In its coronavirus response, the government has a golden opportunity to build public trust. There are other ways to build a digital contact tracing system, some of which would arguably raise fewer doubts about data security than the app.
Incorporating advanced cryptography into COVIDSafe could have given Australian citizens a mathematical guarantee of their privacy, rather than a legal one.
A team at Canadas McGill University is working on a solution that uses mix networks to send cryptographically hashed contact tracing location data through multiple, decentralised servers. This process hides the location and time stamps of users, sharing only necessary data.
This would let the government alert those who have been near a diagnosed person, without revealing other identifiers that could be used to trace back to them.
Its currently unclear what encryption standards COVIDSafe is using, as the apps source code has not been publicly released, and the government has been widely criticised for this. Once the code is available, researchers will be able to review and assess how safe users data are.
COVIDSafe is based on Singapores TraceTogether mobile app. Cybersecurity experts Chris Culnane, Eleanor McMurtry, Robert Merkel and Vanessa Teague have raised concerns over the apps encryption standards.
If COVIDSafe has similar encryption standards which we cant know without the source code it would be wrong to say the apps data are encrypted. According to the experts, COVIDSafe shares a phones exact model number in plaintext with other users, whose phones store this detail alongside the original users corresponding unique ID.
US-based advocacy group The Open Technology Institute has argued in favour of a differential privacy method for encrypting contact tracing data. This involves injecting statistical noise into datasets, giving individuals plausible deniability if their data are leaked for purposes other than contact tracing.
Zero-knowledge proof is another option. In this computation technique, one party (the prover) proves to another party (the verifier) they know the value of a specific piece of information, without conveying any other information. Thus, it would prove necessary information such as who a user has been in proximity with, without revealing details such as their name, phone number, postcode, age, or other apps running on their phone.
Some approaches to contact tracing involve specialised hardware. Simmel is a wearable pen-like contact tracing device. Its being designed by a Singapore-based team, supported by the European Commissions Next Generation Internet program. All data are stored in the device itself, so the user has full control of their trace history until they share it.
This provides citizens a tracing beacon they can give to health officials if diagnosed, but is otherwise not linked to them through phone data or personal identifiers.
The response to COVIDSafe has been varied. While the number of downloads has been promising since its release, iPhone users have faced a range of functionality issues. Federal police are also investigating a series of text message scams allegedly aiming to dupe users.
The federal government has not chosen a decentralised, open-source, privacy-first approach. A better response to contact tracing would have been to establish clearer user information requirements and interoperability specifications (standards allowing different technologies and data to interact).
Also, inviting the private sector to help develop solutions (backed by peer review) could have encouraged innovation and provided economic opportunities.
Read more: COVIDSafe tracking app reviewed: the government delivers on data security, but other issues remain
Personal information collected via COVIDSafe is governed under the Privacy Act 1988 and the Biosecurity Determination 2020.
These legal regimes reveal a gap between the publics and the governments conceptions of privacy.
You may think privacy means the government wont share your private information. But judging by its general approach, the government thinks privacy means it will only share your information if it has authorised itself to do so.
Read more: The new data retention law seriously invades our privacy and it's time we took action
Fundamentally, once youve told the government something, it has broad latitude to share that information using legislative exemptions and permissions built up over decades. This is why, when it comes to data security, mathematical guarantees trump legal guarantees.
For example, data collected by COVIDSafe may be accessible to various government departments through the recent anti-encryption legislation, the Assistance and Access Act. And you could be prosecuted for not properly self-isolating, based on your COVIDSafe data.
Moving forward, we may see more iterations of contact tracing technology in Australia and around the world.
The World Health Organisation is advocating for interoperability between contact tracing apps as part of the global virus response. And reports from Apple and Google indicate contact tracing will soon be built into your phones operating system.
As our government considers what to do next, it must balance privacy considerations with public health. We shouldnt be forced to choose one over another.
- IoT Security Solution For Encryption Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Endpoint Encryption Software Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Market Report 2020 by Key Players, Types, Applications, Countries, Market Size, Forecast to 2026... - July 6th, 2020
- Explained: WhatApp calls End-to-End Encrypted, but what does it mean for you? - India Today - July 6th, 2020
- The booming business of encrypted tech serving the criminal underworld - Telegraph.co.uk - July 6th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Devices Consumption Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Network Encryption Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Worth $20.1 Billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - Yahoo Finance - June 18th, 2020
- Zoom says free users will get end-to-end encryption after all - The Verge - June 18th, 2020
- Zoom To Offer End-To-End Encryption For Video Calls, Trials To Start In July - NDTV - June 18th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020-2025: Types, Services, Cost Structure, Application, Statistics, Emerging Trends And Regional Analysis - Owned - June 18th, 2020
- Zoom to offer end-to-end encryption for all users, trial to begin in July - Reuters India - June 18th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market Will Generate Massive Revenue In Future- A Comprehensive Study On Key Players - Surfacing Magazine - June 18th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Gateways Market Research with COVID-19 After Effects - Cole of Duty - June 18th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 By Trends, Demand, Business Opportunities, Development Factors, Applications, Overview with Competitive landscape... - June 14th, 2020
- IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON Encryption Key Management Software RESEARCH, GROWTH TRENDS AND COMPETITIVE ANALYSIS 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - June 14th, 2020
- Move over Zoom, this encryption company just released the first fully end to end encrypted conferencing solution #105518 - New Kerala - June 14th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Software Market to witness high growth in near future - GroundAlerts.com - June 14th, 2020
- Three secure ways to surf the internet - Gadgets Now - June 14th, 2020
- Will Zoom Bring Encryption to the People Who Need It Most? - EFF - June 13th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Size Scope and Comprehensive Analysis by 2028 - 3rd Watch News - June 13th, 2020
- Federal-grade encryption from the comfort of home - GCN.com - June 13th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market Growth Prospects, Revenue, Key Vendors, Growth Rate and Forecast To 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 13th, 2020
- Congress introduces EARN IT Act, which would end encryption programs but violates the Constitution - NationofChange - June 13th, 2020
- IBM kit wants to keep your data encrypted while in use - ITProPortal - June 13th, 2020
- Commercial Encryption Software Market Growth Prospects, Revenue, Key Vendors, Growth Rate and Forecast To 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 13th, 2020
- Nearly 500,000 say Congress shouldnt kill encryption with the EARN IT Act - The Daily Dot - June 13th, 2020
- COVID-19, Security and WFH: Myths and Misconceptions - Security Boulevard - June 13th, 2020
- Privacy News Online | Weekly Review: June 12th, 2020 - Privacy News Online - June 13th, 2020
- Global Optical encryption Market Insights and Forecast 2020 to 2025 - Jewish Life News - June 13th, 2020
- Hong Kong is number one in Asia for enterprise encryption, with customer personal information the top data protection priority, reports nCipher... - May 27th, 2020
- Are social giants morally obligated to break encryption? - ACS - May 27th, 2020
- Facebook plot to encrypt ALL chats will help child abusers to hide, former police chief warns - The Sun - May 27th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market To Expand At A Robust 14.27% Cagr Of 2020 | Sophos,McAfee,Check Point Software Technologies,Proofpoint,Trend Micro - 3rd... - May 27th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Forecast Revised in a New Market Expertz Report as COVID-19 Projected to Hold a Massive Impact on Sales in 2020 | Long-term... - May 27th, 2020
- Global Homomorphic Encryption Market Analysis 2020-2025: by Key Players with Countries, Type, Application and Forecast Till 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 27th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact ON AES Encryption Software Market: Size, Market Analysis, Application, Growth Drivers, Trends, status and Research Report by 2025 -... - May 27th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Software Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19 Impact | Top... - May 27th, 2020
- Global Encryption Key Management Market 2020 Insights, Key Player's Competition, Trends, Sales, Revenue, Supply, Demand, Growth Analysis and Forecast... - May 27th, 2020
- Starting to look at email security. Looking for guidance - Encryption Methods and Programs - BleepingComputer - May 25th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Technology Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- Gemalto, Sophos, Symantec, SkyHigh Networks, Netskope etc. -... - May 25th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Cloud Encryption Technology Market is Expected to Grow at an active CAGR by Forecast to 2025 | Top Players Gemalto, Sophos,... - May 25th, 2020
- Zoom will seek public feedback on plan for stronger encryption - The Indian Express - May 16th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- Almost half of organisations have been reported to the ICO for a potential data breach - ResponseSource - May 16th, 2020
- VPN Tunnels explained: what are they and how can they keep your internet data secure - TechRadar - May 16th, 2020
- The Week in Ransomware - May 15th 2020 - REvil targets Trump - BleepingComputer - May 16th, 2020
- WhatsApp Video Calls Will Soon Support 50: This Is Why 8s The Limit For Your Security - Forbes - May 16th, 2020
- How to Use Encryption for Defense in Depth in Native and Browser Apps - InfoQ.com - May 14th, 2020
- Analyzing Encrypted RDP Connections - Security Boulevard - May 14th, 2020
- Analysis on Impact of COVID-19-Global Cloud Encryption Software Market 2020-2024| Increasing Use of In-built Cloud Encryption Solutions to Boost... - May 14th, 2020
- Vcrypt ransomware brings along a buddy to do the encryption - Naked Security - May 14th, 2020
- Move over Zoom, this encryption company just released the first fully end to end encrypted conferencing solution - Yahoo Finance - May 14th, 2020
- GovCon Expert Chuck Brooks: Three Steps for Protecting Data in the Public and Private Sectors - GovConWire - May 14th, 2020
- What is the difference between Symmetric and Asymmetric Encryption? - TWCN Tech News - May 14th, 2020
- Encryption Key Management Software Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- IoT Security Solution For Encryption Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Technology Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Data Encryption Service Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Congress May Hand Bill Barr the Keys to Your Online Life - The New Republic - May 14th, 2020
- DataLocker Sentry K300 8GB Encrypted Thumb Drive Review - TweakTown - May 14th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Technology Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Software Market SHARE, SIZE 2020| EMERGING RAPIDLY WITH LATEST TRENDS, GROWTH, REVENUE, DEMAND AND FORECAST TO 2026 -... - May 14th, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Hardware Based Encryption Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Email Encryption Software Market Incredible Possibilities, Growth With Industry Study, Detailed Analysis And Forecast To 2025 - Bulletin Line - May 14th, 2020
- Google Duo is coming to the web via Chrome; features Family mode, end-to-end encryption - Moneycontrol - May 14th, 2020
- Global trade impact of the Coronavirus Commercial Encryption Software Market Applications and Company's Active in the Industry Science Market Reports... - May 2nd, 2020
- Email Encryption Market Growth Opportunities, Challenges, Key Companies, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 2nd, 2020
- U.S. Hardware Encryption Market (2019 to 2026) - by Algorithm & Standard, Architecture and Field-Programmable Gate Array, Product, Application,... - May 2nd, 2020
- Innovative Encryption Algorithm Developed in South Korea - BusinessKorea - May 2nd, 2020
- Online course trains students in the bizarre world of quantum computing - Livescience.com - May 2nd, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Growth Opportunities, Challenges, Key Companies, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 2nd, 2020
- COVID19 impact: Global Cloud Encryption Software Market Trends (Constraints, Drivers, Opportunities, Threats, Challenges, recommendations and... - May 2nd, 2020
- Review of the iStorage datAshur Pro2, an encrypted thumbdrive for home and work - Neowin - May 2nd, 2020
- Kanguru expands encrypted flash drive range with new 256GB options - Geeky Gadgets - May 2nd, 2020
- Global Encryption Management Solutions Market Size |Incredible Possibilities and Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2026 | Check Point Software... - May 2nd, 2020
- Data Encryption Service Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures With Forecasts Growth by 2026| Microsoft, IBM, OneNeck - News Log Book - May 2nd, 2020
- ACLU, EFF still trying to get documents unsealed in Facebook encryption case - CyberScoop - April 29th, 2020
- Advanced Encryption Standard (AES): What It Is and How It Works - Security Boulevard - April 29th, 2020