Technology exists that allows anyone to effectively hide from governments prying eyesas long as they do some basic legwork.
The perennially awful US senator Lindsey Graham (R-South Carolina) is leading the charge on making sure Americans are denied that ability.
The most basic foundation of that is encryption, which uses math to prevent all but the sender and intended receiver from viewing the information in a message.
Graham, Tom Cotton (R-Arkansas), and Marsha Blackburn (R-Tennessee)have introduced the Lawful Access to Encrypted Data Act,an antiencryption bill that effectively makes all encryption without a government back door illegal. Other similar bills exist. To follow such an order would spell the death of encryption.
US attorney general Bill Barr penned a letter in support of this, writing:
Warrant-proof encryption allows these criminals to operate with impunity. This is dangerous and unacceptable.
Its not about warrant-proof encryption. There is no other kind of encryption. Any encryption protocol that has a so-called back dooris not real encryption. Its a black and white matter. Either an item is encrypted or its not. The reason that savvy users demand encryption is that they know that neither tech companies nor governments are to be trusted with honoring the confidentiality of communications.
Attempting to pull at the heartstrings, Barr drops this in his letter:
Survivors of child sexual abuse and their families have pleaded with technology companies to do more to prevent predators from exploiting their platforms to harm children.
Barr appears to echo Hillary Clintons It Takes A Village by claiming that it is your responsibility to keep other peoples children safe by giving up your rights.
This is nothing new. Hillary Clinton and Tipper Gore were national nanny state advocates in the 1990s who invoked defense of children in an effort to grow the state. The appearance of this it takes a villagestyle thinking is a popular tool for those seeking to grow government by substituting the states judgement for the parents judgment.
Certainly, lawmakers claim to be concerned that certain bad guys on the internet can use online platforms with criminal intent, but they are not nearly as concerned as most parents are for the safety of their own children. Moreover, the proper way to protect a child to from online predators is for the parent to turn off the computer and smartphone until an age when the child can safely handle them. For each child and family, that age would, of course, be different, because development does not track chronological age or follow a set path. Nor will every family have the same definition of what safety means in such a scenario.
This does not require an act of Congress. Nor does it require the abrogation of anyone elses right to communicate with another adult without being snooped on by government. Such a right cannot logically be dependent on a strangers ability to safely raise a child.
The argument presented by the attorney general and senators desperately depends on outliers and edge cases in order to limit the rights of all. Never should anyones rights be limited by the edge cases for which a technology is used. The innocent are specifically not to be limited in any of their activity by any government.
Contrary to the notion of privacy, it is increasingly becoming commonplace to expect the citizenry to be thoroughly transparent about personal life, while the government may be entirely opaque about public life. This is an inversion of what public and private are supposed to mean.
This proposed bill is not about children at all. The real issue is that government has engaged in warrantless mass surveillance of Americans and mass electronic data collection for at least three decades. The increasing popularity of encryption apps is finally beginning to hamper that effort.
Edward Snowden writes:
The NSA has built an infrastructure that allows it to intercept almost everything. With this capability, the vast majority of human communications are automatically ingested without targeting. If I wanted to see your emails or your wifes phone, all I have to do is use intercepts. I can get your emails, passwords, phone records, credit cards.
I dont want to live in a society that does these sort of things.I do not want to live in a world where everything I do and say is recorded. That is not something I am willing to support or live under.
Instead of being able to force its way in through the back door of an app, just like it can force its way in through the back door of a house, government is being put in a position where it is having to seek voluntary compliance from free people who can say noto governmental requests for data.
Of course, any situation where you cant say no isnotvoluntary. Encryption has leveled the playing field against the overreach of American spy agencies, and encryption now places an important check on state power. Indeed, rather than discussing ways to dispense with encryption, we should be noting that it is all the more vital for the individual to take the matter into his hands and protect his own data.
Even the most lowly individual, no matter how poorly resourced he is, can protect himself with encryption technology.
As government proves itself increasingly inept at protecting the individual, technology is offering the individual greater tools for protecting himself.
Although governments continue to insistits for the children, never should we go back to the dark ages of privacy before easy-to-use encryption. As customers, entrepreneurs, and investors we must continue to develop the powerful privacy technologies and the free market environment around them in response to the rapidly expanding human demand for privacy that government is dedicated to discouraging.
- US Department of Justice reignites the Battle to Break Encryption - Naked Security - October 17th, 2020
- Five Eyes Call for Tech World to Weaken Encryption - ClearanceJobs - ClearanceJobs - October 17th, 2020
- Zoom Begins Rollout of End-To-End Encryption - My TechDecisions - TechDecisions - October 17th, 2020
- Could homomorphic encryption be the solution to big data's problem? - Siliconrepublic.com - October 17th, 2020
- U.S., UK and other countries warn tech firms that encryption creates 'severe risks' to public safety - CNBC - October 17th, 2020
- Is Signal secure? How the messaging app protects privacy - Business Insider - Business Insider - October 17th, 2020
- AeroVironment and Viasat to aim to improve radio encryption for Puma AE - Flightglobal - October 17th, 2020
- Encryption Backdoor? The Trump Administration Wants It. - The National Interest - October 17th, 2020
- How to use private conversations on Skype to send encrypted calls and messages - Business Insider India - October 17th, 2020
- AES Encryption Software Industry Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19 Impact | Top... - October 17th, 2020
- Trustifi Named Overall Encryption Solution Provider of the Year in 2020 CyberSecurity Breakthrough Awards Program - GlobeNewswire - October 17th, 2020
- ACLU and EFF Call DOJ's Encryption Dream a Nightmare - L.A. Weekly - October 17th, 2020
- Global Database Encryption Market Expected to reach highest CAGR in forecast period : International Business Machines Corporation, Symantec... - October 17th, 2020
- Feds, 'Five Eyes' Allies Take Another Swing at Encryption Policy Changes - MeriTalk - October 13th, 2020
- Homomorphic encryption tools find their niche - CSO Online - October 13th, 2020
- Mission Impossible: 7 Countries Tell Facebook To Break Encryption - Forbes - October 13th, 2020
- Dutton pushes against encryption yet again but oversight at home is slow - ZDNet - October 13th, 2020
- Western governments double down efforts to curtail end-to-end encryption - The Daily Swig - October 13th, 2020
- Fuse Analytics integration with StrongSalt offers Enterprise Information Archiving with GDPR protections - PR Web - October 13th, 2020
- Is Signal Safe? What to Know About the New Encrypted Messaging App - Parentology - October 13th, 2020
- Five Eyes alliance warning: 'Encryption creates severe risks to public safety' - New Zealand Herald - October 13th, 2020
- Privateness or youngster safety? 7 governments, together with US & UK, argue Fb's new encryption plan would profit PEDOPHILES - Editorials 360 - October 13th, 2020
- Optical Encryption Market Analysis And Demand With Forecast Overview To 2025 - Express Journal - October 13th, 2020
- Encrypted messages don't always stay private. Here's what that means for you - CNET - October 11th, 2020
- EARN IT Act a Dire Threat to Encryption, Speech Online, Critics Say - Decrypt - October 11th, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts of Covid-19 on Cloud Encryption Software Market Effects, Aftermath, Global Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast To... - October 11th, 2020
- Parts of the Election System Are Ripe for Hacking: 'Encryption? We Don't Do That' - Josh Kurtz - October 6th, 2020
- WikiLeaks led the way for newsrooms to use encryption to protect sources, says Italian journalist - ComputerWeekly.com - October 6th, 2020
- Global Encryption Software Market 2020 Industry Size, Shares and Upcoming Trends 2025 - Reported Times - October 6th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 2027: Recent Trends, Growth Opportunities and Business Development Strategies By IBM, Trend Micro, Symantec, McaFee,... - October 6th, 2020
- Encryption Key Management Market Research By Growth, Competitive Methods And Forecast To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 6th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market Size, Share, Trends, CAGR by Technology, Key Players, Regions, Cost, Revenue and Forecast 2020 to... - October 6th, 2020
- Global Encryption Software Market 2020 | Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19 | Top Companies:... - October 6th, 2020
- Stay Tuned with the Epic Battle in the Encryption Key Management Market - The Daily Chronicle - October 6th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market To Drive Highest Growth By 2027 With Leading Key Players: Seagate Technology PLC, Western Digital Corp,... - October 6th, 2020
- Encrypted USB flash drive you can unlock with your smartphone (or Apple Watch) - ZDNet - October 6th, 2020
- Global Mobile Encryption Market is slated to grow rapidly in the coming years: McAfee(Intel Corporation), Blackberry, T-Systems International, ESET,... - October 6th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Software Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 6th, 2020
- Best Encryption Software in 2020 - Latest Quadrant Ranking Released by 360Quadrants - PRNewswire - September 30th, 2020
- 4 Reasons Why Encryption Is a Must for Data Protection - CIOReview - September 30th, 2020
- Prospective Node Operators Stake $125M in ETH to Participate in NuCypher Encryption Network - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 30th, 2020
- Fortanix Partners with VMware to Enable Cloud Service Providers to Deliver Data Security as a Service - GlobeNewswire - September 30th, 2020
- SanDisks latest portable SSDs have boosted speed and security - The Verge - September 30th, 2020
- What Facebook users need to know about end-to-end encryption - Fast Company - September 30th, 2020
- Whats really up with your secure WhatsApp chats - Mint - September 30th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Technology Market Trends Together With Growth Forecast To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Market- Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027: By Industrial verticals, Services, and Region. - Unica News - September 30th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Market to Witness a Pronounce Growth During 2020-2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Technology Market with (Covid-19) Impact Analysis: Growth, Latest Trend Analysis and Forecast 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Global Email Encryption Software Market Report 2020-2027: Production Capacity and Consumption Analysis by Regions and Country Wise - Crypto Daily - September 30th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Service Market 2020 | Detailed Analysis, Growth, Research and Forecast - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Database Encryption Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Optical Encryption Industry 2020 Includes The Major Application Segments And Size In The Global Market To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Hardware Based Encryption Market Projected to Be Resilient During 2020-2025 - The Market Records - September 30th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Market (2020-2026) | Where Should Participant Focus To Gain Maximum ROI | Exclusive Report By DataIntelo - Crypto Daily - September 30th, 2020
- Ring plans to offer end-to-end encryption by the end of the year - The Verge - September 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Comprehensive Study With Key Trends, Major Drivers And Challenges 2020-2026 - The Market Records - September 29th, 2020
- Ring to offer opt-in end-to-end encryption for videos beginning later this year - TechCrunch - September 29th, 2020
- WhatsApp Encryption Is Not Foolproof; Chats Can Be Accessed In These Ways - Yahoo India News - September 29th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Market Forecast to 2027 Covid-19 Impact and Global Analysis by Type, Deployment Type and Industry Vertical... - September 29th, 2020
- EU Still Asking For The Impossible (And The Unnecessary): 'Lawful Access' To Encrypted Material That Doesn't Break Encryption - Techdirt - September 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Report Examines Growth Overview And Predictions On Size, Share And Trend Through 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Russia Is Trying Something New to Isolate Its Internet From the Rest of the World - Slate - September 29th, 2020
- Network Encryption Market From 2020-2026: Growth Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Types And Applications - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Size, Analytical Overview, Key Players, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends And Forecast to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Top Technologies To Achieve Security And Privacy Of Sensitive Data In AI Models - Analytics India Magazine - September 29th, 2020
- Database Encryption Market Analysis and the Impact of COVID-19 Key Vendors, Growth Rate and Forecast To 2028 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Technology Market Size, Analytical Overview, Key Players, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends And Forecast to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis And Forecast To 2026 |... - September 29th, 2020
- WhatsApp says end-to-end encryption to protects chats among app however not cloud backups - Stanford Arts Review - September 29th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market 2020-2028 Research Report| Know The Growth Factors and Future Scope - The Daily Chronicle - September 25th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market to Witness Astonishing Growth by 2026 | Ciphercloud, Gemalto, Hytrust and more - Crypto Daily - September 25th, 2020
- One Way to Prevent Police From Surveilling Your Phone - The Intercept - September 25th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Encryption Software Market Report to Share Key Aspects of the Industry with the details of Influence Factors - Scientect - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market: Regional Overview and Trends Evaluation to 2026 - Fractovia News - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market is Expected to reach $2.16 billion by 2020| Growing at a CAGR (compounded annual growth rate) of CAGR of 14.27% from 2014... - September 4th, 2020
- WD unveils encrypted ArmorLock SSD that unlocks using your smartphone - 9to5Toys - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market report, upcoming trends, share report, growth size, industry players and global forecast to 2025 - Galus Australis - September 4th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Encryption Software Market: Global Industry Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2020 2025 - The Daily... - September 4th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Technology Steady Growth to be Witnessed by 2019-2029 - The News Brok - September 4th, 2020