Enlarge / The Interpol HQ in France.
Justice Department officials have long pushed for some sort of backdoor to permit warranted surveillance and searches of encrypted communications. Recently, that push has been taken internationalwith Attorney General William Barr and his counterparts from the United Kingdom and Australia making an open plea to Facebook to delay plans to use end-to-end encryption across all the company's messaging tools.
Now, the Department of Justice and Federal Bureau of Investigations are attempting to get an even larger international consensus on banning end-to-end encryption by way of a draft resolution authored by officials at the FBI for the International Criminal Police Organization's 37th Meeting of the INTERPOL Specialists Group on Crimes against Children. The event took place from November 12 to November 15 at theINTERPOL headquarters in Lyon, France.
A draft of the resolution viewed by Ars Technica stated that INTERPOL would "strongly urge providers of technology services to allow for lawful access to encrypted data enabled or facilitated by their systems" in the interest of fighting child sexual exploitation. Currently, it is not clear whether Interpol will issue a statement.
The draft resolution went on to lay responsibility for child exploitation upon the tech industry:
The current path towards default end-to-end encryption, with no provision for lawful access, does not allow for the protection of the worlds children from sexual exploitation. Technology providers must act and design their services in a way that protects user privacy, on the one hand, while providing user safety, on the other hand. Failure to allow for Lawful Access on their platforms and products, provides a safe haven to offenders utilizing these to sexually exploit children, and inhibits our global law enforcement efforts to protect children.
Attendees of the conference told Ars that the resolution's statement was due to be published this week. But in an email to the New York Times' Nicole Perlroth, an INTERPOL spokesperson denied that the resolution was considered:
Ars requested comment from an FBI official and has not yet received a response.
In a statement that flies in the face of the consensus of cryptographers and other technical experts, the draft resolution asserted that "technologists agree" that designing systems to "[allow] for lawful access to data, while maintaining customer privacycan be implemented in a way that would enhance privacy while maintaining strong cyber security." In order to "honor and enforce" standards for prohibiting the distribution of "child sexual abuse material," the draft resolution states, "providers should fully comply with court orders authorizing law enforcement agencies access to data related to criminal investigations involving the sexual exploitation of children."
Facebook and other companies currently comply with warranted requests for data under the terms of the CLOUD Acta law passed in 2018 that requires technology companies to provide data requested by warrant or subpoena to law enforcement, regardless of where in the world it is stored. But the officials behind this draft resolution claim such compliance cannot be achieved while allowing end-to-end encryption of communications.
As Barr and his compatriots noted in their October letter to Facebook, Facebook's ability to run analytics on and moderate content within users' communications amounted to 90 percent of the reports of child pornography to the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children in 2018. By providing end-to-end encryption, officials contend, Facebook would essentially allow future child pornography distribution to "go dark" and prevent law enforcement from gathering evidence against suspects.
Today, there's little evidence that encryption has been a major impediment to interception of communications by law enforcement to date. According to statistics from the Administrative Office of the US Courts, out of a total of 2,937 wiretaps in 2018, only 146 were encryptedand of those, only 58 could not be decrypted.
Facebook has already deployed end-to-end encryption in products such as WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger (though Messenger does not provide end-to-end encryption by default). In response to Barr's letter, Facebook officials responded:
End-to-end encryption already protects the messages of over a billion people every day. It is increasingly used across the communications industry and in many other important sectors of the economy. We strongly oppose government attempts to build backdoors because they would undermine the privacy and security of people everywhere.
As Ars has repeatedly reported, many experts in the field of cryptography and security agree with Facebook's assessment. The security community has largely opposed most of the pushes for encryption backdoors on the grounds that any secret "golden key" to decrypt encrypted messages would be technically infeasibleand potentially exploitable by malicious third parties.
- Encryption Software Market 2019 Size, CAGR Status, Key Players, Growth Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - The Market Publicist - December 2nd, 2019
- Global Encryption Software Market Industry Analysis and Forecast (2018-2026) - Daily Research Stack - December 2nd, 2019
- Fortinet took 18 months to strip software of flawed crypto cipher and keys - The Daily Swig - December 1st, 2019
- Mobile Encryption Market Competitive Research And Precise Outlook 2019 To 2025 - The Market Publicist - December 1st, 2019
- NordPass: Get rid of password stress. Forever. - EE Journal - December 1st, 2019
- Apple patents anti-snooping technology that would stop police from tracking locations and messages - Stock Daily Dish - December 1st, 2019
- Encryption Software Market Research Report by Geographical Analysis and Forecast 2017-2027 - Kentucky Reports - November 28th, 2019
- Encryption Key Management Software Market : Industry Research, Growth Trends And Opportunities For The Forecast Period 2019-2029 - News Description - November 28th, 2019
- iStorage cloudAshur is named: Security Innovation of the Year at the UK IT Industry Awards 2019 - ResponseSource - November 28th, 2019
- Database Encryption Market Analysis Report by Product Type, Industry Application and Future Technology 2025 (International Business Machines... - November 28th, 2019
- The IT Guide to Enforcing Full Disk Encryption Windows Edition - Security Boulevard - November 28th, 2019
- Why The FBI's Former Top Lawyer Now Embraces Encryption - Law360 - November 28th, 2019
- Big Boom in Cloud Encryption Market over 2019-2026 with CipherCloud Inc., Hytrust Inc., Gemalto NV, IBM Corporation and more - Market Expert - November 28th, 2019
- Encrypted Flash Drives Market Size, Growth, Global Industry Analysis, Share, Segments and Forecast 2019-2024 - Space Market Research - November 28th, 2019
- Encryption Software Market 2019 Global Industry Status, Segment by Region, Type and Future Forecast To 2026 - Financial News - November 28th, 2019
- FBI worried about criminals having unfettered access to encryption technology - KTVI Fox 2 St. Louis - November 23rd, 2019
- What Is End-to-End Encryption? Another Bulls-Eye on Big Tech - The New York Times - November 23rd, 2019
- Security Expert Comments On NSA Publishes Advisory Addressing Encrypted Traffic Inspection Risks - ISBuzz News - November 23rd, 2019
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market By Industry Business Plan, Manufacturers, Sales, Supply, Share, Revenue and Forecast Report... - November 23rd, 2019
- Moniker makes a statement with The Encryption EP - The Untz - November 23rd, 2019
- Global Mobile Encryption Market By Industry Business Plan, Manufacturers, Sales, Supply, Share, Revenue and Forecast Report 2019-2024 - BeetleVersion - November 23rd, 2019
- NSA Publishes Advisory Addressing Encrypted Traffic Inspection Risks - BleepingComputer - November 23rd, 2019
- Encryption Key Management Software Market Research Report: Market Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Market Trends Adopted by the... - November 23rd, 2019
- Microsoft Windows 10 To Natively Support DNS Over HTTPS Encryption And Obfuscation Technique Making Internet Traffic Monitoring Near Impossible -... - November 23rd, 2019
- Import EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key (PFX file) in Windows 10 - TWCN Tech News - November 23rd, 2019
- What Is Homomorphic Encryption? And Why Is It So Transformative? - Forbes - November 19th, 2019
- FBI Recruits Interpol to Condemn End-to-End Encryption - WebProNews - November 19th, 2019
- Is encryption to blame for WhatsApp snooping? - Livemint - November 19th, 2019
- BEST PRACTICES: Resurgence of encrypted thumb drives shows value of offline backups in the field - Security Boulevard - November 19th, 2019
- Astonishing Growth in Global encryption software market size was valued at USD 2.98 billion in 2018. It is projected to post a CAGR of 16.8% from 2019... - November 19th, 2019
- Encryption Software Market Overview, Latest Analysis and Future Forecast 2019 2025 - Markets Gazette 24 - November 19th, 2019
- With end-to-end encryption, we wouldn't be able to listen in even if we wanted to, says Facebook's Stan Chudnovsky - Mumbrella Asia - November 19th, 2019
- Microsoft Jumps on the DoH Train Company to Introduce Encrypted DNS - Computer Business Review - November 19th, 2019
- Global Mobile Encryption Technology Market 2018 Manufacturers, Types and Application, Analysis History and Forecast 2025 - Galus Australis - November 19th, 2019
- Hardware Encryption Market Growth Forecast Analysis by Top Manufacturers, Regions, Product Types and Application (2019 - 2026) - News Obtain - November 19th, 2019
- The Best Encryption Software for 2019 | PCMag.com - October 21st, 2019
- What is data encryption? - October 19th, 2019
- USB Enforced Encryption - Endpoint Protector - October 19th, 2019
- Authenticated encryption - Crypto++ Wiki - October 19th, 2019
- Tinder's Lack of Encryption Lets Strangers Spy on Your ... - October 19th, 2019
- 'Without Encryption, We Will Lose All Privacy': Snowden ... - October 18th, 2019
- Security pros reiterate warning against encryption backdoors - October 18th, 2019
- Encryption - servicepro.wiki - October 18th, 2019
- Mozy Encryption - October 18th, 2019
- Optical Encryption Market Size, Share, Trends and Forecast ... - October 18th, 2019
- MySQL Enterprise Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) - October 18th, 2019
- What is Encryption? - Definition from WhatIs.com - October 17th, 2019
- How to Set Up BitLocker Encryption on Windows - October 2nd, 2019
- Encryption: What It Is, and How It Works for You | Tom's Guide - October 2nd, 2019
- Security Encryption Systems | HowStuffWorks - October 2nd, 2019
- What is The Difference Between Hashing and Encrypting - October 2nd, 2019
- How Encryption Works | HowStuffWorks - September 5th, 2019
- encryption - How secure is AES-256? - Cryptography Stack ... - June 2nd, 2019
- The World's Email Encryption Software Relies on One Guy, Who ... - May 5th, 2019
- Encryption breakthrough could keep prying eyes away from your ... - May 5th, 2019
- What Is Data Encryption? Definition, Best Practices & More ... - May 1st, 2019
- IronClad Encryption Partners with Data443 Risk Mitigation ... - April 30th, 2019
- What Is Encryption? An Overview of Modern Encryption ... - April 30th, 2019
- Symmetric vs. Asymmetric Encryption What are differences? - April 29th, 2019
- Difference Between Hashing and Encryption - ssl2buy.com - April 29th, 2019
- What is Advanced Encryption Standard (AES)? - Definition ... - April 29th, 2019
- How to Encrypt Your Wireless Network - Lifewire - April 29th, 2019
- After Paris, Encryption Will Be a Key Issue in the 2016 ... - April 22nd, 2019
- Email encryption - Wikipedia - April 8th, 2019
- What is Encryption, and Why Are People Afraid of It? - April 8th, 2019
- Data encryption | cryptology | Britannica.com - April 8th, 2019
- How to Enable Full-Disk Encryption on Windows 10 - April 1st, 2019
- After Paris, Encryption Will Be a Key Issue in the 2016 Race - March 27th, 2019
- Does Encryption Really Help ISIS? Heres What You Need to ... - March 27th, 2019
- AES and RSA Encryption Explained - March 27th, 2019
- Encryption: What it is and why its important - Norton - March 23rd, 2019
- Authenticated encryption - Wikipedia - March 19th, 2019
- Email Encryption Options for MDaemon Email Server - March 14th, 2019
- How to Encrypt Files on Windows - Tutorial - Toms Guide - March 6th, 2019
- Encryption, Key Management - bank information security - March 5th, 2019
- Which Types of Encryption are Most Secure? - February 7th, 2019
- JSON Object Signing and Encryption (JOSE) - February 4th, 2019
- What Is Encryption, and How Does It Work? - January 26th, 2019
- The Pitfalls of Facebook Merging Messenger, Instagram, and ... - January 26th, 2019
- Encryption: Avoiding the Pitfalls That Can Lead to Breaches - January 14th, 2019