CLEVELAND, Ohio U.S. Attorney Justin Herdman is entering the fray on a national debate over law enforcements ability to access encrypted devices and messaging apps, trying to rebuff the sentiments of many tech companies that say such access could leave them vulnerable for exploitation by hackers.
Some experts consider his ideas problematic.
Herdman, in an op-ed published Wednesday on cleveland.com, mostly echoed statements made in recent years by Justice Department officials about the need for law enforcement and tech companies to work together so investigations dont stall. Calling on the need for public safety, he said agents inability to get into the devices hinders investigations into drug dealers, terrorists and sex traffickers.
The piece was directed not only at the public but at companies such as Facebook and Apple, which have spoken about the privacy needs of its customers and the rights they feel their users should enjoy to shield their messages.
Thus far, several tech companies have expressed an unwillingness to provide law enforcement a way to access either encrypted devices or messaging app systems such as WhatsApp and Signal. Other concerns raised involve defendants Fourth and Fifth Amendment rights.
Former American Civil Liberties Union attorney Alex Abdo, whose work at the organization involved issues surrounding tech and security, said many people in Silicon Valley argue that it is almost impossible to build a backdoor system for law enforcement that could not be accessed by hackers or, say, authoritarian governments in other countries that would seek information through their own legal systems on dissidents.
Still, Herdman said in an interview from Washington, D.C., that Im not convinced, nor is the department convinced, that theres not a technological solution to this. He also said that law enforcement accesses these devices for narrow purposes approved by a judge.
The U.S. attorney wrote in the op-ed that the companies are within their rights to offer privacy and cybersecurity to prospective customers as well they should, because these are important values.
But they shouldnt do so at the expense of public safety, Herdman continued. And these same industry professionals certainly know that warrant-proof encryption is protecting the criminals amongst us.
He took it a step farther in the interview, saying officials are committed to working with the companies but that forcing them to grant access could happen through the courts or new laws.
We cannot live in a world where pedophiles and drug traffickers and terrorists are able to communicate freely without law enforcement being able to lawfully intervene, he said.
The encryption issue was spotlighted in 2016, when the FBI sought Apples help to unlock an encrypted iPhone used by an extremist shooter who, along with another shooter, gunned down 14 people and injured 22 others in San Bernardino, California. Apple refused to help, citing privacy concerns.
The FBI sought outside help and was able to open the phone.
Herdmans op-ed was published two days after executives at Facebook wrote a letter snubbing overtures made by Attorney General William Barr to give law enforcement backdoor access to their systems. Facebook plans to enable end-to-end encryption on all of its messaging platforms, a system that locks messages so that not even the company can read them, according to The Associated Press.
Barr and other Justice Department officials have made statements directed toward tech companies to allow access. He said in a speech Tuesday that the encryption fight was one of our highest priorities and described an increasing number of horror stories about how people are dying, or being molested or whatever, but we cannot get in, the AP reported.
Herdman, in his op-ed, cited two examples from Ohio to support his argument that law enforcement needs more access.
He said agents were unable to get into the cellphone of a 25-year-old man arrested in a hotel outside Canton this summer on suspicion of trafficking a 16-year-old girl for sex. Agents have a search warrant but additional information that could build a case against the man is locked away because the phones manufacturer wont provide a way to get in the phone, the U.S. attorney said.
The result: Evil prevails and innocent children are still being victimized, Herdman wrote. First Assistant U.S. Attorney Bridget Brennan later declined to identify the man.
The other involved a wiretap that went cold when the target of an investigation, who was talking to a drug supplier in Mexico, switched to using an encrypted messaging app and the agents could not access the messages.
Brennan identified the target as Ismael Acosta, a Cleveland Heights man now serving a prison sentence of more than 15 years for trafficking drugs and money laundering following an investigation into a large operation by the Drug Enforcement Administration.
Herdman, who has been U.S. attorney since 2017, said in the interview that its very common for law enforcement to come across encryption. Such technology emerged near the end of his first stint at the U.S. Attorneys Office between 2006 and 2013, and he recalls discussions about it in meetings when he was in the offices national security unit.
Case Western Reserve University criminal law instructor Michael Benza said that having third parties, i.e. big tech companies, give access to apps or devices poses problems. If an agent gets a warrant to search a house, and they get someone else to kick in the door for them, thats unacceptable, he said.
Its not as simple as this is a bad guy, we know its a bad guy, so give us the access,'" Benza said.
Abdo, now the litigation director at the Knight First Amendment Institute at Columbia University, also said the government, even in the absence of encrypted information, has more information about people than ever before, because there are digital traces left every time someone uses a device or accesses the internet.
The existence of that information has caused some to say were living in a golden age of surveillance, he said.
To Herdman, such privacy concerns are vastly outweighed by the need for safety.
I dont think theres a really coherent argument on the tech side to not offering law enforcement access to devices and communications, he said.
Child predators must not be able to hide behind warrant-proof encryption: Justin Herdman
Twenty charged in multi-state drug ring that brought heroin, fentanyl, cocaine to Cleveland
FBI works with outside party to unlock iPhone; hearing with Apple canceled
- Encryption Software Market Worth $20.1 Billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - Yahoo Finance - June 18th, 2020
- Zoom says free users will get end-to-end encryption after all - The Verge - June 18th, 2020
- Zoom To Offer End-To-End Encryption For Video Calls, Trials To Start In July - NDTV - June 18th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020-2025: Types, Services, Cost Structure, Application, Statistics, Emerging Trends And Regional Analysis - Owned - June 18th, 2020
- Zoom to offer end-to-end encryption for all users, trial to begin in July - Reuters India - June 18th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market Will Generate Massive Revenue In Future- A Comprehensive Study On Key Players - Surfacing Magazine - June 18th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Gateways Market Research with COVID-19 After Effects - Cole of Duty - June 18th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 By Trends, Demand, Business Opportunities, Development Factors, Applications, Overview with Competitive landscape... - June 14th, 2020
- IMPACT OF COVID-19 ON Encryption Key Management Software RESEARCH, GROWTH TRENDS AND COMPETITIVE ANALYSIS 2020-2026 - Cole of Duty - June 14th, 2020
- Move over Zoom, this encryption company just released the first fully end to end encrypted conferencing solution #105518 - New Kerala - June 14th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Software Market to witness high growth in near future - GroundAlerts.com - June 14th, 2020
- Three secure ways to surf the internet - Gadgets Now - June 14th, 2020
- Will Zoom Bring Encryption to the People Who Need It Most? - EFF - June 13th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Size Scope and Comprehensive Analysis by 2028 - 3rd Watch News - June 13th, 2020
- Federal-grade encryption from the comfort of home - GCN.com - June 13th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market Growth Prospects, Revenue, Key Vendors, Growth Rate and Forecast To 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 13th, 2020
- Congress introduces EARN IT Act, which would end encryption programs but violates the Constitution - NationofChange - June 13th, 2020
- IBM kit wants to keep your data encrypted while in use - ITProPortal - June 13th, 2020
- Commercial Encryption Software Market Growth Prospects, Revenue, Key Vendors, Growth Rate and Forecast To 2026 - Jewish Life News - June 13th, 2020
- Nearly 500,000 say Congress shouldnt kill encryption with the EARN IT Act - The Daily Dot - June 13th, 2020
- COVID-19, Security and WFH: Myths and Misconceptions - Security Boulevard - June 13th, 2020
- Privacy News Online | Weekly Review: June 12th, 2020 - Privacy News Online - June 13th, 2020
- Global Optical encryption Market Insights and Forecast 2020 to 2025 - Jewish Life News - June 13th, 2020
- Hong Kong is number one in Asia for enterprise encryption, with customer personal information the top data protection priority, reports nCipher... - May 27th, 2020
- Are social giants morally obligated to break encryption? - ACS - May 27th, 2020
- Facebook plot to encrypt ALL chats will help child abusers to hide, former police chief warns - The Sun - May 27th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market To Expand At A Robust 14.27% Cagr Of 2020 | Sophos,McAfee,Check Point Software Technologies,Proofpoint,Trend Micro - 3rd... - May 27th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Forecast Revised in a New Market Expertz Report as COVID-19 Projected to Hold a Massive Impact on Sales in 2020 | Long-term... - May 27th, 2020
- Global Homomorphic Encryption Market Analysis 2020-2025: by Key Players with Countries, Type, Application and Forecast Till 2025 - Cole of Duty - May 27th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact ON AES Encryption Software Market: Size, Market Analysis, Application, Growth Drivers, Trends, status and Research Report by 2025 -... - May 27th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Software Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19 Impact | Top... - May 27th, 2020
- Global Encryption Key Management Market 2020 Insights, Key Player's Competition, Trends, Sales, Revenue, Supply, Demand, Growth Analysis and Forecast... - May 27th, 2020
- Starting to look at email security. Looking for guidance - Encryption Methods and Programs - BleepingComputer - May 25th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Technology Market Projected to Reach USD XX.XX billion by 2025- Gemalto, Sophos, Symantec, SkyHigh Networks, Netskope etc. -... - May 25th, 2020
- Impact of Covid-19 on Cloud Encryption Technology Market is Expected to Grow at an active CAGR by Forecast to 2025 | Top Players Gemalto, Sophos,... - May 25th, 2020
- Zoom will seek public feedback on plan for stronger encryption - The Indian Express - May 16th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Research Report 2020 By Size, Share, Trends, Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 16th, 2020
- Almost half of organisations have been reported to the ICO for a potential data breach - ResponseSource - May 16th, 2020
- VPN Tunnels explained: what are they and how can they keep your internet data secure - TechRadar - May 16th, 2020
- The Week in Ransomware - May 15th 2020 - REvil targets Trump - BleepingComputer - May 16th, 2020
- WhatsApp Video Calls Will Soon Support 50: This Is Why 8s The Limit For Your Security - Forbes - May 16th, 2020
- How to Use Encryption for Defense in Depth in Native and Browser Apps - InfoQ.com - May 14th, 2020
- Analyzing Encrypted RDP Connections - Security Boulevard - May 14th, 2020
- Analysis on Impact of COVID-19-Global Cloud Encryption Software Market 2020-2024| Increasing Use of In-built Cloud Encryption Solutions to Boost... - May 14th, 2020
- Vcrypt ransomware brings along a buddy to do the encryption - Naked Security - May 14th, 2020
- Move over Zoom, this encryption company just released the first fully end to end encrypted conferencing solution - Yahoo Finance - May 14th, 2020
- GovCon Expert Chuck Brooks: Three Steps for Protecting Data in the Public and Private Sectors - GovConWire - May 14th, 2020
- What is the difference between Symmetric and Asymmetric Encryption? - TWCN Tech News - May 14th, 2020
- Encryption Key Management Software Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- IoT Security Solution For Encryption Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Technology Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Data Encryption Service Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Congress May Hand Bill Barr the Keys to Your Online Life - The New Republic - May 14th, 2020
- DataLocker Sentry K300 8GB Encrypted Thumb Drive Review - TweakTown - May 14th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Technology Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Software Market SHARE, SIZE 2020| EMERGING RAPIDLY WITH LATEST TRENDS, GROWTH, REVENUE, DEMAND AND FORECAST TO 2026 -... - May 14th, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Hardware Based Encryption Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - May 14th, 2020
- Email Encryption Software Market Incredible Possibilities, Growth With Industry Study, Detailed Analysis And Forecast To 2025 - Bulletin Line - May 14th, 2020
- Google Duo is coming to the web via Chrome; features Family mode, end-to-end encryption - Moneycontrol - May 14th, 2020
- Global trade impact of the Coronavirus Commercial Encryption Software Market Applications and Company's Active in the Industry Science Market Reports... - May 2nd, 2020
- Email Encryption Market Growth Opportunities, Challenges, Key Companies, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 2nd, 2020
- U.S. Hardware Encryption Market (2019 to 2026) - by Algorithm & Standard, Architecture and Field-Programmable Gate Array, Product, Application,... - May 2nd, 2020
- Innovative Encryption Algorithm Developed in South Korea - BusinessKorea - May 2nd, 2020
- Online course trains students in the bizarre world of quantum computing - Livescience.com - May 2nd, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Growth Opportunities, Challenges, Key Companies, Drivers and Forecast to 2026 Cole Reports - Cole of Duty - May 2nd, 2020
- COVID19 impact: Global Cloud Encryption Software Market Trends (Constraints, Drivers, Opportunities, Threats, Challenges, recommendations and... - May 2nd, 2020
- Review of the iStorage datAshur Pro2, an encrypted thumbdrive for home and work - Neowin - May 2nd, 2020
- Kanguru expands encrypted flash drive range with new 256GB options - Geeky Gadgets - May 2nd, 2020
- Global Encryption Management Solutions Market Size |Incredible Possibilities and Growth Analysis and Forecast To 2026 | Check Point Software... - May 2nd, 2020
- The COVIDSafe app was just one contact tracing option. These alternatives guarantee more privacy - The Conversation AU - May 2nd, 2020
- Data Encryption Service Market Detailed Analysis of Current Industry Figures With Forecasts Growth by 2026| Microsoft, IBM, OneNeck - News Log Book - May 2nd, 2020
- ACLU, EFF still trying to get documents unsealed in Facebook encryption case - CyberScoop - April 29th, 2020
- Advanced Encryption Standard (AES): What It Is and How It Works - Security Boulevard - April 29th, 2020
- How Let's Encrypt changed the web with free, easy encryption - Fast Company - April 29th, 2020
- Group video calls of up to 100 participants, with encryption and noise cancellation - Explica - April 29th, 2020
- Analysis of COVID-19-Encryption Management Solutions Market 2019-2023 | Rising Demand For Digitalization to Boost Growth | Technavio - Yahoo Finance - April 17th, 2020
- Protecting consumers personal data becomes top reason for encryption, global study involving nCipher Security finds - Cambridge Independent - April 17th, 2020
- Signal: Well be eaten alive by EARN IT Acts anti-encryption wolves - Naked Security - April 17th, 2020
- Coronavirus tracing tech policy 'more significant' than the war on encryption - ZDNet - April 17th, 2020