Image Analyzer wins UK Government grant to develop CSAM-detection technology for end-to-end encrypted services
- Safety Tech Challenge Fund awarded to AI-powered visual content moderation pioneer, working in partnership with Galaxkey and Yoti -
Gloucestershire, UK, November 17th 2021, visual content moderation software company, Image Analyzer, has been selected to receive a share of the UK Governments Safety Tech Challenge Fund to find new ways to detect Child Sexual Abuse Material (CSAM) sent via encrypted channels, without compromising citizens privacy. Image Analyzer will work in partnership with content encryption technology provider, Galaxkey, and digital identity and age verification technology company, Yoti, to develop AI-powered visual content analysis technology that works within messaging services that employ end-to-end encryption.
Cris Pikes, CEO and founder of Image Analyzer commented, Image Analyzer is delighted to be collaborating with Galaxkey and Yoti to deliver this exciting, first-of-a-kind technology pilot that recognises the importance of protecting users data and privacy whilst addressing the inherent risks to children associated with end-to-end encryption. As a ground-breaking technology collaboration, the Galaxkey, Yoti and Image Analyzer solution will enable users to access all of the benefits related to encryption whilst enabling clean data streams and offering reassurance within specific use case scenarios such as educational sharing.
End-to-end encryption (E2EE) is already included within the WhatsApp and Signal apps. In April, the Home Secretary and NSPCC decried Facebooks plans to implement E2EE within Instagram and Messenger, citing the increased risks to children if law enforcement agencies cannot compile evidence of illegal images, videos and messages sent by child abusers. The government and child safety organisations warned that E2EE drastically reduces technology companies abilities to detect and prevent proliferation of CSAM on their platforms and prevents law enforcement agencies from arresting offenders and safeguarding victims. The NSPCC has estimated that up to 70% of digital evidence will be hidden if Facebook goes ahead with plans to introduce E2EE in Instagram and Messenger.
Child protection experts warn that encrypted messages could shroud evidence of grooming and coercion of children and the sharing of indecent and illegal images and extremist material.
The NSPCC also observed that encryption could create a technical loophole for technology companies to avoid their duty of care to remove harmful material when the Online Safety Bill becomes law, by allowing them to engineer away their responsibility to monitor and remove harmful content.
In response to these heightened risks, the Safety Tech Challenge Fund was announced by the UK Government in September. The UK Government has awarded five organisations up to 85,000 each to prototype and evaluate new ways of detecting and addressing CSAM shared within E2EE environments, such as online messaging platforms, without compromising the privacy of legitimate users. The Safety Tech Challenge Fund provides a mechanism for government, the technology industry, non-profit organisations and academics to discover solutions and share best practice. Fund recipients have until March 2022 to deliver their proofs of concept.
Image Analyzer holds European and U.S. patents for its automated, artificial intelligence-based content moderation technology for image, video and streaming media, including live-streamed footage uploaded by users. Its technology helps organizations minimize their corporate legal risk exposure caused by people abusing their digital platform access to share harmful visual material. Image Analyzers technology has been designed to identify visual risks in milliseconds, including illegal content, and images and videos that are deemed harmful to users, particularly children and vulnerable adults, with near zero false positives.
Pikes continues, Law enforcement agencies depend on evidence to bring child abuse cases to court. There is a delicate balance between protecting privacy in communications and drawing a technical veil over illegal activity which jeopardises children. Hidden doesnt mean its not happening. The UK Online Safety Bill will bring messaging apps into scope for the swift removal of harmful text and images. However, where content is encrypted end-to-end, this will significantly reduce Ofcoms ability to prevent the most serious online harms. Working in partnership with encryption specialists at Galaxkey and identity verification experts at Yoti, well help organisations to address online harms, while protecting the privacy of their law-abiding users.
About Image Analyzer
Image Analyzer provides artificial intelligence-based content moderation technology for image, video and streaming media, including live-streamed footage uploaded by users. Its technology helps organizations minimize their corporate legal risk exposure caused by employees or users abusing their digital platform access to share harmful visual material. Image Analyzers technology has been designed to identify visual risks in milliseconds, including illegal content, and images and videos that are deemed harmful to users, especially children and vulnerable adults. The company is a member of the Online Safety Tech Industry Association (OSTIA).
Image Analyzer holds various patents across multiple countries under the Patent Co-operation Treaty. Its worldwide customers typically include large technology and cybersecurity vendors, digital platform providers, digital forensic solution vendors, online community operators, and education technology providers which integrate its AI technology into their own solutions.
For further information please visit: https://www.image-analyzer.com
Gov.UK, press release, 17th November 2021: Government funds new tech in fight against online child abuse, https://www.gov.uk/government/news/government-funds-new-tech...
Safety Tech Network, 8th September 2021, Government launches Safety Tech Challenge Fund to tackle online child abuse in end-to-end encrypted services https://www.safetytechnetwork.org.uk/articles/government-lau...
Safety Tech Network, Safety Tech Challenge Fund, https://www.safetytechnetwork.org.uk/innovation-challenges/s...
Computing AI and Machine Learning Awards Winners 2021: AI & Machine Learning Awards 2021 (ceros.com)
Gov.UK, Draft Online Safety Bill, 12th May 2021 https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/draft-online-safe...
The Daily Telegraph, Priti Patel accuses Facebook of putting profit before childrens safety, 19th April 2021 https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2021/04/18/priti-patel-accu...
The Guardian, Priti Patel says tech companies have moral duty to safeguard children, 18th April 2021, https://www.theguardian.com/society/2021/apr/19/priti-patel-...
Wired, The Home Office is preparing another attack on encryption, 1st April 2021: https://www.wired.co.uk/article/uk-encryption-facebook-home-...
PA Consulting - The Daily Telegraph, Keeping Children Safe Online,11th December 2019,https://www.paconsulting.com/newsroom/expert-quotes/the-dail...
Media Contact:Josie HerbertPhiness PR07776 firstname.lastname@example.org
- UK Government Apparently Hoping It Can Regulate End-To-End Encryption Out Of Existence - Techdirt - January 12th, 2022
- Android Encryption on the rise: Do I need To encrypt my smartphone? - Phandroid - News for Android - January 12th, 2022
- The Next Evolution of the Database Sharding Architecture - InfoQ.com - January 12th, 2022
- Encryption Software Market Scope and overview, with Highest growth in the near future by leading key players - Taiwan News - January 12th, 2022
- CGV Research | Why Solana May Become the iOS of the Encrypted World? - NewsBTC - January 12th, 2022
- Swiss Army Bans WhatsApp And Other Foreign Encrypted Messaging Services - Lowyat.NET - January 12th, 2022
- Organic aggregates: new insights on white light - EurekAlert - January 12th, 2022
- You'll have to spell out an encryption law - BollyInside - January 12th, 2022
- NEC develops secure biometric authentication tech to enable certification with encrypted face information - Japan Today - December 22nd, 2021
- Experts warn against Originator Traceability Proposals that weaken Encryption - ThePrint - December 22nd, 2021
- Encrypt your emails from end to end for a lifetime with this software - TechRepublic - December 22nd, 2021
- Barrowford man who used encrypted phones to deal drugs jailed for more than 11 years - Burnley Express - December 22nd, 2021
- 'I'm a big believer in encryption technology,' says the former chairman of the US SEC. - BollyInside - December 22nd, 2021
- 5 upcoming WhatsApp features: New call interface, quick replies and more - The Indian Express - December 22nd, 2021
- Cloud Encryption Technology Market Growth Opportunities, Driving Factors by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast Analysis to 2027 -... - December 22nd, 2021
- Metas Biggest Encrypted Messaging Mistake Was Its Promise - WIRED - December 3rd, 2021
- VeraCrypt 1.25 drops Windows 8.1 and 7, and Mac OS 10.8 and earlier support - Ghacks Technology News - December 3rd, 2021
- GBT is Enhancing qTerm's Cybersecurity Technology to Provide a Higher Level of Data Protection For its Users - GlobeNewswire - December 3rd, 2021
- What is Encryption? Definition, Types & Benefits | Fortinet - November 29th, 2021
- Decentralising end-to-end encryption with a new security protocol - The Hindu - November 29th, 2021
- Device encryption in Windows - November 29th, 2021
- How to Enable end-to-end Encryption for one-to-one Calls in Microsoft Teams - BollyInside - November 29th, 2021
- How the 5G industrial IoT will change different verticals - IT Brief New Zealand - November 29th, 2021
- Boxcryptor protects business data in Microsoft Teams with end-to-end encryption features - Help Net Security - November 25th, 2021
- NordLocker goes mobile: Encrypt your files on iOS and Android now with 60% off - GlobeNewswire - November 25th, 2021
- How Does End-To-End Encryption Works In WhatsApp? - Wales247 - November 25th, 2021
- Email Encryption Market Research Report by Type, by Component, by Industry, by Deployment, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 - Cumulative Impact of... - November 25th, 2021
- Yes, ransomware is your number one security nightmare. But heres how to sleep easy - The Register - November 25th, 2021
- How To Talk to Strangers Where No One Can See You - The Phoenix - Swarthmore College The Phoenix Online - November 20th, 2021
- How to Encrypt WhatsApp Chat Backups with End-to-End Encryption in iCloud - BollyInside - November 20th, 2021
- Vaultree's Executive Team and Advisors Drive Innovation in the Cybersecurity Industry - Yahoo Finance - November 20th, 2021
- Will you be ready when quantum breaks encryption? Steps to take now to prepare - Lexology - November 17th, 2021
- If cybercriminals cant see data because its encrypted, they have nothing to steal - The Register - November 17th, 2021
- Why You Should Encrypt Your WhatsApp Backups in iCloud - Lifehacker - November 17th, 2021
- Cape Privacy Forges Partnership with Snowflake, Enabling Financial Services Organizations to Use Encrypted Data for Predictive Modeling in the Cloud -... - November 17th, 2021
- WhatsApp starts rolling out end-to-end encryption for ... - November 15th, 2021
- Quantum Xchange Collaborates with Thales to Enable Quantum-Safe Key Delivery Across Any Distance, Over Any Network Media - Yahoo Finance - November 15th, 2021
- Thrio Reduces Risk of Data Loss with Global Redaction and Encryption - WFMZ Allentown - November 15th, 2021
- When it comes to securing systems against quantum computers, there is no one-size-fits-all solution - Help Net Security - November 15th, 2021
- Hacking group says it has found encryption keys needed to unlock the PS5 [Updated] - Ars Technica - November 15th, 2021
- Opposition Parties 'Surprised' by Lack of Encryption Amid Cyber Attack - VOCM - November 15th, 2021
- Everything Blockchain Announces OEM License of Its Zero Trust Data Access Platform - GlobeNewswire - November 15th, 2021
- Alexander: Turn off the more complex encryption in Windows 11 Pro - Minneapolis Star Tribune - November 8th, 2021
- Encryption, inequality and Zero DOM: 6 pocket listing takeaways - Inman - November 8th, 2021
- Apple Can Secretly Read Your WhatsApp MessagesThis Is How To Stop It - Forbes - November 8th, 2021
- The double-edged sword of encryption - TechRadar - November 8th, 2021
- An Open Letter to City Council and the City Manager on Police Encryption. Category: Public Comment from The Berkeley Daily Planet - Berkeley Daily... - November 8th, 2021
- PSD2 & Open Banking Biometric Authentication Market Research Report by Function, by End Users, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 - Cumulative... - November 8th, 2021
- WhatsApp to alert users with new security code. Read why - Mint - November 8th, 2021
- Cloud Encryption Service Market Size and Overview: 2021, Industry Share, Key Developments, Geographic Comparison, and Drivers till 2028 Bolivar... - November 8th, 2021
- Cloud Encryption Market Revenue, Share, Size and Trend Analysis 2021 to 2027 LSMedia - LSMedia - November 8th, 2021
- RCMP wants to use AI to learn passwords in investigations, but experts warn of privacy risks - The Globe and Mail - November 8th, 2021
- EXPLAINED: Why End-To-End Encryption May Not Mean That Nobody Can Read Your WhatsApp Chats - News18 - October 30th, 2021
- Only 17% of US Companies Encrypt Over Half of Their Cloud Data - WebProNews - October 30th, 2021
- Database Encryption Market To Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2020-2025 | Intel Security (Mcafee), Microsoft Corporation,... - October 30th, 2021
- Encryption Software Market Size To Record A Substantially CAGR Over 2017-2030 Puck77 - Puck77 - October 30th, 2021
- Growth Prospects of Cloud Encryption Gateways Market: Business Outlook 2021-2026 by Oracle, IBM, Microsoft, Salesforce, Vormetric, Ciphercloud, and... - October 30th, 2021
- Homomorphic Encryption Market Growth Overview of Top Companies : Microsoft,IBM Corporation,Galois,CryptoExperts,Enveil,Duality... - October 30th, 2021
- Messenger: from now on, voice and video calls will have end-to-end encryption MRT - Market Research Telecast - October 30th, 2021
- Encryption Key Management Market Growth Overview of Top Companies : Thales Group, IBM, Egnyte, Google, Alibaba Cloud Computing, Box, Amazon,... - October 30th, 2021
- Google Drive Alternatives: Improving Privacy and Security - TechSpot - October 30th, 2021
- Future Growth Of IoT Security Solution for Encryption Market by New Business Developments, Innovations, And Top Companies - Forecast To 2026 -... - October 30th, 2021
- If WhatsApp chats are end-to-end encrypted, how are personal chats of celebs leaking? - BGR India - October 30th, 2021
- WhatsApp rolls out encryption for chats backed up in the cloud - Mashable - October 17th, 2021
- WhatsApp now lets users encrypt their chat backups in the cloud - TechCrunch - October 17th, 2021
- Meet the Alliance for Encryption in Latin America and the Caribbean - EFF - October 17th, 2021
- Apples plan to scan images will allow governments into smartphones - The Guardian - October 17th, 2021
- WhatsApp to bring in encryption for backup chats after privacy fears - The Guardian - October 15th, 2021
- WhatsApp end-to-end encrypted backups are rolling out on both Android and iOS - GSMArena.com news - GSMArena.com - October 15th, 2021
- Encryption: Why security threats coast under the radar - Philstar.com - October 15th, 2021
- Encryption Management Solutions Market 2021 : Industry Analysis ,Size, Share, Revenue, Prominent Players, Developing Technologies, Tendencies and... - October 15th, 2021
- TLS Support Redis - October 12th, 2021
- Signal >> Documentation - October 12th, 2021
- Encryption Consulting announces their first-ever virtual conference - "Encryption Consulting Virtual conference 2021." - Tyler Morning... - October 12th, 2021
- [Update: Rolling out] WhatsApp adds end-to-end encryption for Android cloud backups - 9to5Google - October 12th, 2021
- Homomorphic Encryption Market New Coming Industry to Witness Great Growth Opportunities in Coming Years From 2021 to 2027: Microsoft (US), IBM... - October 12th, 2021
- SmartKargo Incorporates EDIfly Advanced Aviation Messaging At No Cost for Customers of its E-Commerce Logistics Solution - Yahoo Finance - October 12th, 2021
- No outages, no data leaks: The new WhatsApp killer built on the blockchain creates privacy-focused encrypted messenger - Cointelegraph - October 12th, 2021
- Mosyle's $ 16M Series A Drives Growth by Launching the Mosyle Business with the Market's First Encrypted DNS Filtering and Security Solution -... - October 6th, 2021
- Tips to Secure and Encrypt your WIFI Network Security - H2S Media - October 6th, 2021