VeraCrypt 1.25, a new version of the open source cross-platform encryption software, is now available. The new version is the first release of the application for over a year; the last release dates back to November 2020 when a hot fix update for Mac OS X Big Sur was released.
VeraCrypt 1.25 is not yet listed as a download on the official project website, but downloads are available on the project's SourceForge project page. Note that the GitHub repo has not been updated yet as well.
The new version of VeraCrypt updates any existing version that is installed on the system. The system needs to be restarted after a successful installation, as the new driver needs to be loaded during system start.
VeraCrypt 1.25 is a major new version that changes system requirements significantly. The new version of the encryption software adds support for Windows on ARM64, Apple Silicon M1 and OpenBSD, but it also removes support for the following operating systems:
The developers reveal that the dropping of support for the listed Windows versions was required because of "new requirements for driver code signing". No reasoning was provided for the dropping of support for Mac OS 10.7 and 10.8.
VeraCrypt 1.25 includes support for an MSI installler that administrators may utilize for silent mode deployments on supported Windows systems. The caveat is that the MSI installer can't be used if the system partition is encrypted with VeraCrypt.
The Windows version of VeraCrypt has seen several other improvements. The new version blocks Windows from resizing an encrypted system partition, addresses a memory leak in the EFI bootloader, fixes a potential memory corruption in the driver, clears a bootParams variable that may contain sensitive information, and includes a workaround for an issue that occurs during Windows Feature updates (maybe the automatic repair issue caused by the bootloader?)
The new version of VeraCrypt for Mac OS X introduces support for Apple's new Silicon M1 hardware, but it does drop support for the two older versions of Mac OS X, Lion (10.7) and Mountain Lion (10.8). The Mac version adds user interface language support using installed XML files.
Linux, FreeBSD and OpenBSD versions have seen a few fixes for the most part.
You can check out the full changelog of VeraCrypt 1.25 here.
VeraCrypt users who run pre-Windows 10 versions of Windows or Mac OS X 10.8 or earlier, can't upgrade to the new version. The last release version, 1.24-Update8 for Mac OS X and 1.24-Update7 for all other supported operating systems will continue to work.
Users of VeraCrypt who choose to do so may want to check the release notes of new versions to make sure that none fix critical issues, e.g. vulnerabilities, that could allow third-parties to gain access to the encrypted data.
Now You: do you use encryption tools?
VeraCrypt 1.25 drops Windows 8.1 and 7, and Mac OS 10.8 and earlier support
VeraCrypt 1.25, a new version of the open source cross-platform encryption software, is now available. It drops support for several older versions of Windows and Mac OS X.
Ghacks Technology News
- UK Government Apparently Hoping It Can Regulate End-To-End Encryption Out Of Existence - Techdirt - January 12th, 2022
- Android Encryption on the rise: Do I need To encrypt my smartphone? - Phandroid - News for Android - January 12th, 2022
- The Next Evolution of the Database Sharding Architecture - InfoQ.com - January 12th, 2022
- Encryption Software Market Scope and overview, with Highest growth in the near future by leading key players - Taiwan News - January 12th, 2022
- CGV Research | Why Solana May Become the iOS of the Encrypted World? - NewsBTC - January 12th, 2022
- Swiss Army Bans WhatsApp And Other Foreign Encrypted Messaging Services - Lowyat.NET - January 12th, 2022
- Organic aggregates: new insights on white light - EurekAlert - January 12th, 2022
- You'll have to spell out an encryption law - BollyInside - January 12th, 2022
- NEC develops secure biometric authentication tech to enable certification with encrypted face information - Japan Today - December 22nd, 2021
- Experts warn against Originator Traceability Proposals that weaken Encryption - ThePrint - December 22nd, 2021
- Encrypt your emails from end to end for a lifetime with this software - TechRepublic - December 22nd, 2021
- Barrowford man who used encrypted phones to deal drugs jailed for more than 11 years - Burnley Express - December 22nd, 2021
- 'I'm a big believer in encryption technology,' says the former chairman of the US SEC. - BollyInside - December 22nd, 2021
- 5 upcoming WhatsApp features: New call interface, quick replies and more - The Indian Express - December 22nd, 2021
- Cloud Encryption Technology Market Growth Opportunities, Driving Factors by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast Analysis to 2027 -... - December 22nd, 2021
- Metas Biggest Encrypted Messaging Mistake Was Its Promise - WIRED - December 3rd, 2021
- GBT is Enhancing qTerm's Cybersecurity Technology to Provide a Higher Level of Data Protection For its Users - GlobeNewswire - December 3rd, 2021
- What is Encryption? Definition, Types & Benefits | Fortinet - November 29th, 2021
- Decentralising end-to-end encryption with a new security protocol - The Hindu - November 29th, 2021
- Device encryption in Windows - November 29th, 2021
- How to Enable end-to-end Encryption for one-to-one Calls in Microsoft Teams - BollyInside - November 29th, 2021
- How the 5G industrial IoT will change different verticals - IT Brief New Zealand - November 29th, 2021
- Boxcryptor protects business data in Microsoft Teams with end-to-end encryption features - Help Net Security - November 25th, 2021
- NordLocker goes mobile: Encrypt your files on iOS and Android now with 60% off - GlobeNewswire - November 25th, 2021
- How Does End-To-End Encryption Works In WhatsApp? - Wales247 - November 25th, 2021
- Email Encryption Market Research Report by Type, by Component, by Industry, by Deployment, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 - Cumulative Impact of... - November 25th, 2021
- Yes, ransomware is your number one security nightmare. But heres how to sleep easy - The Register - November 25th, 2021
- How To Talk to Strangers Where No One Can See You - The Phoenix - Swarthmore College The Phoenix Online - November 20th, 2021
- How to Encrypt WhatsApp Chat Backups with End-to-End Encryption in iCloud - BollyInside - November 20th, 2021
- Vaultree's Executive Team and Advisors Drive Innovation in the Cybersecurity Industry - Yahoo Finance - November 20th, 2021
- Will you be ready when quantum breaks encryption? Steps to take now to prepare - Lexology - November 17th, 2021
- If cybercriminals cant see data because its encrypted, they have nothing to steal - The Register - November 17th, 2021
- Why You Should Encrypt Your WhatsApp Backups in iCloud - Lifehacker - November 17th, 2021
- Cape Privacy Forges Partnership with Snowflake, Enabling Financial Services Organizations to Use Encrypted Data for Predictive Modeling in the Cloud -... - November 17th, 2021
- UK Government awards 555k to help fund new ways to protect children within end-to-end encrypted environments - ResponseSource - November 17th, 2021
- WhatsApp starts rolling out end-to-end encryption for ... - November 15th, 2021
- Quantum Xchange Collaborates with Thales to Enable Quantum-Safe Key Delivery Across Any Distance, Over Any Network Media - Yahoo Finance - November 15th, 2021
- Thrio Reduces Risk of Data Loss with Global Redaction and Encryption - WFMZ Allentown - November 15th, 2021
- When it comes to securing systems against quantum computers, there is no one-size-fits-all solution - Help Net Security - November 15th, 2021
- Hacking group says it has found encryption keys needed to unlock the PS5 [Updated] - Ars Technica - November 15th, 2021
- Opposition Parties 'Surprised' by Lack of Encryption Amid Cyber Attack - VOCM - November 15th, 2021
- Everything Blockchain Announces OEM License of Its Zero Trust Data Access Platform - GlobeNewswire - November 15th, 2021
- Alexander: Turn off the more complex encryption in Windows 11 Pro - Minneapolis Star Tribune - November 8th, 2021
- Encryption, inequality and Zero DOM: 6 pocket listing takeaways - Inman - November 8th, 2021
- Apple Can Secretly Read Your WhatsApp MessagesThis Is How To Stop It - Forbes - November 8th, 2021
- The double-edged sword of encryption - TechRadar - November 8th, 2021
- An Open Letter to City Council and the City Manager on Police Encryption. Category: Public Comment from The Berkeley Daily Planet - Berkeley Daily... - November 8th, 2021
- PSD2 & Open Banking Biometric Authentication Market Research Report by Function, by End Users, by Region - Global Forecast to 2026 - Cumulative... - November 8th, 2021
- WhatsApp to alert users with new security code. Read why - Mint - November 8th, 2021
- Cloud Encryption Service Market Size and Overview: 2021, Industry Share, Key Developments, Geographic Comparison, and Drivers till 2028 Bolivar... - November 8th, 2021
- Cloud Encryption Market Revenue, Share, Size and Trend Analysis 2021 to 2027 LSMedia - LSMedia - November 8th, 2021
- RCMP wants to use AI to learn passwords in investigations, but experts warn of privacy risks - The Globe and Mail - November 8th, 2021
- EXPLAINED: Why End-To-End Encryption May Not Mean That Nobody Can Read Your WhatsApp Chats - News18 - October 30th, 2021
- Only 17% of US Companies Encrypt Over Half of Their Cloud Data - WebProNews - October 30th, 2021
- Database Encryption Market To Witness the Highest Growth Globally in Coming Years 2020-2025 | Intel Security (Mcafee), Microsoft Corporation,... - October 30th, 2021
- Encryption Software Market Size To Record A Substantially CAGR Over 2017-2030 Puck77 - Puck77 - October 30th, 2021
- Growth Prospects of Cloud Encryption Gateways Market: Business Outlook 2021-2026 by Oracle, IBM, Microsoft, Salesforce, Vormetric, Ciphercloud, and... - October 30th, 2021
- Homomorphic Encryption Market Growth Overview of Top Companies : Microsoft,IBM Corporation,Galois,CryptoExperts,Enveil,Duality... - October 30th, 2021
- Messenger: from now on, voice and video calls will have end-to-end encryption MRT - Market Research Telecast - October 30th, 2021
- Encryption Key Management Market Growth Overview of Top Companies : Thales Group, IBM, Egnyte, Google, Alibaba Cloud Computing, Box, Amazon,... - October 30th, 2021
- Google Drive Alternatives: Improving Privacy and Security - TechSpot - October 30th, 2021
- Future Growth Of IoT Security Solution for Encryption Market by New Business Developments, Innovations, And Top Companies - Forecast To 2026 -... - October 30th, 2021
- If WhatsApp chats are end-to-end encrypted, how are personal chats of celebs leaking? - BGR India - October 30th, 2021
- WhatsApp rolls out encryption for chats backed up in the cloud - Mashable - October 17th, 2021
- WhatsApp now lets users encrypt their chat backups in the cloud - TechCrunch - October 17th, 2021
- Meet the Alliance for Encryption in Latin America and the Caribbean - EFF - October 17th, 2021
- Apples plan to scan images will allow governments into smartphones - The Guardian - October 17th, 2021
- WhatsApp to bring in encryption for backup chats after privacy fears - The Guardian - October 15th, 2021
- WhatsApp end-to-end encrypted backups are rolling out on both Android and iOS - GSMArena.com news - GSMArena.com - October 15th, 2021
- Encryption: Why security threats coast under the radar - Philstar.com - October 15th, 2021
- Encryption Management Solutions Market 2021 : Industry Analysis ,Size, Share, Revenue, Prominent Players, Developing Technologies, Tendencies and... - October 15th, 2021
- TLS Support Redis - October 12th, 2021
- Signal >> Documentation - October 12th, 2021
- Encryption Consulting announces their first-ever virtual conference - "Encryption Consulting Virtual conference 2021." - Tyler Morning... - October 12th, 2021
- [Update: Rolling out] WhatsApp adds end-to-end encryption for Android cloud backups - 9to5Google - October 12th, 2021
- Homomorphic Encryption Market New Coming Industry to Witness Great Growth Opportunities in Coming Years From 2021 to 2027: Microsoft (US), IBM... - October 12th, 2021
- SmartKargo Incorporates EDIfly Advanced Aviation Messaging At No Cost for Customers of its E-Commerce Logistics Solution - Yahoo Finance - October 12th, 2021
- No outages, no data leaks: The new WhatsApp killer built on the blockchain creates privacy-focused encrypted messenger - Cointelegraph - October 12th, 2021
- Mosyle's $ 16M Series A Drives Growth by Launching the Mosyle Business with the Market's First Encrypted DNS Filtering and Security Solution -... - October 6th, 2021
- Tips to Secure and Encrypt your WIFI Network Security - H2S Media - October 6th, 2021