Well-intentioned charities and academics have urged Facebook to halt encryption plans for its messaging apps, citing concerns about child exploitation.
The call was made in a letter to Facebook CEO Mark Zuckerberg in response to the companys intention to adopt end-to-end encryption to protect user privacy
TheFinancial Times reports.
The chief executive of the social media network last year announced a move to integrate the messaging services of Facebook, WhatsApp and Instagram into one encrypted system, cast as a pivot to privacy in the wake of the Cambridge Analytica data leak.
Encryption would mean that only people sending and receiving messages would be able to view them; third parties such as Facebook itself or law enforcement could not access the content.
But in a letter signed by 129 non-profit organisations, think tanks and academics across 102 countries, child safety experts warned that Facebook had not yet satisfied...deeply held concerns that the move could enable more child sexual abuse on the platform.
The letter said the shift would mean sex offenders who typically groom children on Facebook before moving their conversations on to other less scrupulous apps would be emboldened to initiate and rapidly escalate directly on Facebooks services.
Its not the first time this argument has been made. Indeed, protecting children seems to be the new fighting terrorism when it comes to arguing against strong encryption.
But children of course already use other end-to-end encrypted chat apps, like iMessage and WhatsApp. Even the letter itself acknowledges that the only impact would be that chat initiated on Facebook might remain there rather than simply switching to other platforms.
Facebook said that moving to end-to-end encryption was critically important and repeated that there are ways to detect inappropriate contact without being able to read the content.
David Miles, Facebooks head of safety for Europe, Middle East and Africa, on Wednesday said: Strong encryption is critically important to keep everyone safe from hackers and criminals. The rollout of end-to-end encryption is a long-term project. Protecting children online is critically important to this effort and we are committed to building strong safety measures into our plans. He added that the company was working closely with experts.
The company has previously explained some of the signals that can be used.
Facebook could look at user profiles and flag someone making a series of requests to minors they do not know, or people who are part of suspicious groups 
Other alerts could include large age gaps between people communicating privately on Messenger or Instagram Direct Messages, frequency of messaging, and people that lots of users are blocking or deleting.
Another possibility would be for Facebook to switch to end-to-end encryption for its main apps, while retaining standard encryption for Messenger Kids. The social network this week announced additional parental monitoring tools for this.
Facebook is not the only company coming under fire for the use of strong encryption. The FBI is still pressing Apple on the Pensacola iPhones despite the fact that there are commercially-available tools to crack both of the models in that case. Calls to halt encryption are unlikely to go away anytime soon.
FTC: We use income earning auto affiliate links. More.
Check out 9to5Mac on YouTube for more Apple news:
- Bill to protect children online ensnared in encryption fight | TheHill - The Hill - March 13th, 2020
- Child exploitation bill earns strong opposition from encryption advocates - Washington Examiner - March 13th, 2020
- Senators Pretend That EARN IT Act Wouldn't Be Used To Undermine Encryption; They're Wrong - Techdirt - March 13th, 2020
- Patent hints that encrypted displays could appear on future Apple devices - TechSpot - March 13th, 2020
- Senators dispute industry claims that a bill targeting tech's legal shield would prohibit encryption - CNBC - March 11th, 2020
- The EARN IT Act Is a Sneak Attack on Encryption - WIRED - March 11th, 2020
- Krk WiFi vulnerability affected WiFi encryption on over a billion devices - Privacy News Online - March 11th, 2020
- The Benefits of Encryption and the Implications of Creating Backdoors - American Action Forum - March 11th, 2020
- Big Boom in Encryption Key Management Software Market that is Significantly Growing with Top Key Players Netlib Security, Fortanix, Avery Oden, AWS -... - March 11th, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Market to Witness Robust Expansion throughout the Forecast 2020-2026: McAfee(Intel Corporation), Blackberry, T-Systems... - March 11th, 2020
- Email Encryption Market Rising Trends, Technology and Business Outlook 2020 to 2026 - Best Research Reports - March 11th, 2020
- Crypto, Encryption, and the Quest for a Secure Messaging App - Bitcoin News - March 8th, 2020
- Encryption Flaws Leave Millions of Toyota, Kia, and Hyundai Cars Vulnerable to Key Cloning - Gizmodo - March 8th, 2020
- IoT Security Solution for Encryption Market to Boom In Near Future by 2026 Industry Key Players: Cisco Systems, Intel Corporation, IBM Corporation -... - March 8th, 2020
- What are the top-rated encrypted texting apps? - Fox Business - March 8th, 2020
- Data Encryption Software Market: Future Forecast Assessed On The Basis Of How The Industry Is Predicted To Grow 2020-2025 - Bandera County Courier - March 8th, 2020
- How Encrypted Messaging Works And Why Australian Spies Are Trying To Break The Code - Gizmodo Australia - March 8th, 2020
- Why Britains new deal with Silicon Valley for stopping child abuse still has one big hole in it - Telegraph.co.uk - March 8th, 2020
- What the 2020 election means for encryption - The Verge - March 3rd, 2020
- Our guide to the 2020 election including Section 230 and encryption - The Verge - March 3rd, 2020
- Research: IT Managers Regard Encrypted Traffic as a Source of Cyberthreats, But Their Defenses Are Inadequate - Yahoo Finance - March 3rd, 2020
- Encryption Foes in Washington Won't Give Up - Reason - March 3rd, 2020
- BestCrypt by Jetico expands cross-platform protection to computers with T2 chip - Help Net Security - March 3rd, 2020
- Barr's Motives, Encryption and Protecting Children; DOJ 230 Workshop Review, Part III - Techdirt - March 3rd, 2020
- Comment: Its time for governments to learn how end-to-end encryption works - 9to5Mac - March 3rd, 2020
- Crypto AG Shows That US Concern Over Huawei Encryption Backdoors Comes From Long Experience Doing the Same Thing - CPO Magazine - March 3rd, 2020
- MI5 Still Thinks Encryption Backdoors are an Excellent Idea That Couldn't Possibly Go Wrong - Gizmodo UK - March 3rd, 2020
- Global Encryption Software Market is projected to reach a value of USD 20.44 billion by 2026 - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - March 3rd, 2020
- Exporters Should Be 'Very Careful' of Misusing New End-to-End Encryption Carve-Out in ITAR, Experts Say - Export Compliance Daily - March 3rd, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 Analysis by Overview, Growth, Top Companies, Trends, Demand and Forecast to 2026 - Packaging News 24 - March 3rd, 2020
- If We Build It (They Will Break In) - Lawfare - March 3rd, 2020
- Why the US government is questioning WhatsApp's encryption - CNBC - February 25th, 2020
- No Backdoor on Human Rights: Why Encryption Cannot Be Compromised - Bitcoin News - February 25th, 2020
- Backdoor to encryption back on agenda in absurdly named bill - 9to5Mac - February 25th, 2020
- Signal is the European Union's encrypted messaging app of choice - Cult of Mac - February 25th, 2020
- cloudAshur, hands on: Encrypt, share and manage your files locally and in the cloud - ZDNet - February 25th, 2020
- ASIO: Relentless advance of technology was outstripping our capabilities - ZDNet - February 25th, 2020
- Cygilant to Highlight the Need for Encrypted Traffic Visibility at RSA Conference 2020 - Business Wire - February 25th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 Emerging Trends, Growing Demand, Leading Companies, Applications, Overview and Regional Analysis 2026 - News Times - February 25th, 2020
- US bill seen threatening encryption on tech platforms - EJ Insight - February 25th, 2020
- AES Encryption Software Market to Witness Increased Incremental Dollar Opportunity During the Forecast Period 2020 2026 | Dell, Eset, Gemalto, IBM,... - February 25th, 2020
- Malware and HTTPS a growing love affair - Naked Security - February 25th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market To Witness Growth Acceleration During 2020-2026 | Western Digital Corp, Samsung Electronics, Toshiba,... - February 25th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market are anticipated to lucrative growth opportunities in the future by Product Type, Structure, End-user and Geography to 2027... - February 25th, 2020
- Proposed Bill Could Threaten Apple, Facebook Messaging Platforms - MSSP Alert - February 25th, 2020
- Zettaset to Participate in Cybersecurity Forum at Annual HIMSS 2020 Conference - Business Wire - February 25th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Technology Market Analysis with Key Players, Applications, Trends and Forecasts to 2025 | Gemalto, Sophos, Symantec - Nyse Nasdaq... - February 25th, 2020
- US legislation to fend off end-to-end encryption of Facebook, Google and others - Financial World - February 25th, 2020
- Encryption on Facebook, Google, others threatened by planned new bill - Reuters - February 22nd, 2020
- What Is an Encryption Backdoor? - How-To Geek - February 22nd, 2020
- Sophos Takes On Encrypted Network Traffic With New XG Firewall 18 - CRN: Technology news for channel partners and solution providers - February 22nd, 2020
- Last Week In Venture: Eyes As A Service, Environmental Notes And Homomorphic Encryption - Crunchbase News - February 22nd, 2020
- CIA Encryption Meddling and Chinese Espionage Allegations Make It Clear: We All Need Strong Data Protection - Reason - February 12th, 2020
- Congress, Not the Attorney General, Should Decide the Future of Encryption - Lawfare - February 12th, 2020
- The code breakers: This vault is the epicenter in law enforcement's battle to unlock encrypted smartphones - USA TODAY - February 12th, 2020
- Enea Announces New Smart Tools to Identify Encrypted and Evasive Network Traffic - Yahoo Finance - February 12th, 2020
- Encryption Vs. Decryption: What's the Difference? - Techopedia - February 12th, 2020
- Labor Bill to fix Australian encryption laws it voted for hits second debate - ZDNet - February 12th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - News Parents - February 12th, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Market to Grow Massively (2020-2025) By Size, Share, Price, Trend and Forecast | Blackberry, T-Systems International, ESET, Sophos,... - February 12th, 2020
- Child-Welfare Activists Attack Facebook Over Encryption Plans - The New York Times - February 9th, 2020
- How Attorney General Barr's War On Encryption Will Harm Our Military - Techdirt - February 9th, 2020
- Strong Opinions on Whether Police Calls Should be Encrypted - Government Technology - February 9th, 2020
- The EARN IT Act is the latest clueless attack on encryption, do not fall for it - Privacy News Online - February 9th, 2020
- Republican Senator Lindsey Graham introduces bill that threatens end-to-end encryption - World Socialist Web Site - February 9th, 2020
- Activists write to Facebook against encryption, says it will dent bid to curb child pornography - Hindustan Times - February 9th, 2020
- BBB Offers the Following Tips for National Clean Out Your Computer and Safer Internet Day WKTN- A division of Home Town Media - WKTN Radio - February 9th, 2020
- Optical Encryption Market Booming by Size, Revenue, Trends and Top Growing Companies 2026 - Instant Tech News - February 9th, 2020
- Federal government warning of voter coercion, foreign election interference through private messaging services - CBC.ca - February 9th, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Market 2020 Recent Industry Developments and Growth Strategies Adopted by Top Key Players Worldwide and Assessment to 2025 -... - February 9th, 2020
- How the B-Team watches over Australia's encryption laws and cybersecurity - ZDNet - February 6th, 2020
- Kids Need End-to-End Encryption for Protection Against Corporations - The Mac Observer - February 6th, 2020
- Encryption Backdoors: The Achilles Heel to Cybersecurity? - Techopedia - February 6th, 2020
- US Lawmakers Seeking to Ban Companies From Using End-to-End Encryption With a New Draft Bill - Bitcoin Exchange Guide - February 6th, 2020
- United States: a invoice towards end-to-end encryption? - Sahiwal Tv - February 6th, 2020
- TLS 1.0/1.1 end-of-life countdown heads into the danger zone - The Daily Swig - February 6th, 2020
- How Would a US Ban on End to End Encryption Affect Cryptocurrency? - Bitcoinist - February 5th, 2020
- Officials Ask Public to Weigh in on Encrypting Police Calls - Government Technology - February 5th, 2020
- Bluefin and FroogalPay Partner to Provide PCI-Validated Point-to-Point Encryption (P2PE) - Benzinga - February 5th, 2020
- Facebook to allow parents to monitor their kids' chat messages - Sussex Express - February 5th, 2020