Security community resists anti-encryption push as counter-productive
ANALYSISWestern governments have doubled down on their efforts to rein-in end-to-end encryption, arguing that the technology is impeding investigations into serious crimes including terrorism and child abuse.
In a joint statement (PDF) published over the weekend the Five Eyes (FVEY) intel alliance countries of Australia, Canada, New Zealand, the UK, and US were joined by India and Japan in calling for tech firms to enable law enforcement access to content upon production of a warrant.
The governments also want tech firm such as Apple and Facebook to consult with them on design decisions that might help or hinder this outcome.
The statements signatories call for tech firms to embed the safety of the public in system designs, thereby enabling companies to act against illegal content and activity effectively with no reduction to safety, and facilitating the investigation and prosecution of offences and safeguarding the vulnerable.
How might this work? GCHQ recently came up with a proposal for adding an extra party into an end-to-end encrypted chat via a ghost feature, a pointer to the sort of approaches intel agencies have in mind.
Security experts have pushed back against the proposals, arguing that they inevitably undermine the privacy and integrity of end-to end encryption the current gold standard for secure comms.
In end-to-end encryption systems the cryptographic keys needed to encrypt and decrypt communications are held on the devices of users, such as smartphones, rather than by service providers or other technology providers. Users therefore dont have to trust their ISPs or service providers not to snoop.
Popular instant messaging apps WhatsApp, iMessage, and Signal have placed E2E encryption in the hands of the average smartphone user.
So if governments come knocking with requests for the keys normally necessary to decrypt encrypted communications, then theres nothing to hand over.
Western government say they support the development of encryption in general, as a means to secure e-commerce transactions and protect the communications of law-abiding businesses and individuals its just E2E encryption they have an issue with. Governments have long argued that E2E encryption is hampering the investigation of serious crimes, at least on a larger scale.
Malware can be used by law enforcement against individuals targeted in surveillance operations, a tactic which if successful gives access to content without needing to break encryption.
And police in countries such as the UK, for example, already have the ability to compel disclosure of encryption secrets from suspects.
As the anonymous privacy activist behind the Spy Blog Twitter account noted: UK already has law for disclosure of plaintext material, regardless of encryption tech, but they want to do it in secret, in bulk.
The tweet referenced the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 Part III, which deals with the investigation by law enforcement of electronic data protected by encryption.
Security experts were quick to criticize the latest government moves as a push to mandate encryption backdoors, supposedly accessible only to law enforcement. Several compared it to failed government encryption policies of the 1990s.
These included efforts to control the US export of encryption technologies and attempts to mandate key escrow.
Katie Moussouris, chief exec of Luta Security and an expert in bug bounties, tweeted: The 1st time they did this (look up crypto wars), it weakened e-commerce and all other web transactions for over a decade, enabling crime. I wish we didnt have to repeat these facts.
Encryption of any type can be viewed as a branch of applied mathematics but arguments that anyone can implement encryption in a few lines of code miss the point that what governments are seeking is to make encryption tools inaccessible to the broader public, according to noted cryptographer Matthew Green.
One thing thats different this time around compared to the first crypto wars is that governments have more levers to apply pressure on tech firms, including app store bans. Last month, for instance, the Trump administration threatened to ban TikTok in the US over supposed national security concerns unless owners Byte Dance sold the technology to a US firm.
Green noted: The current administration has demonstrated that app store bans can be used as a hammer to implement policy, and you can bet these folks are paying attention.
I also think that sideloading capability is likely to be eliminated (or strongly discouraged) in a regime where encryption bans are successful, he added.
Cryptographer Alex Muffett expressed fears that the government proposals might eventually result in non-compliant social networks [getting] banned under criminal law.
End-to-end encryption is a key tool towards securing the privacy of everyone on the planet, as the world becomes more connected. It must not be derailed, instead the police should be better funded for traditional investigation, Muffett said on Twitter.
RELATED Are we building surveillance into systems, or are we building in security?
- Symmetric Encryption Algorithms: Live Long & Encrypt - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - November 24th, 2020
- Google plans to test end-to-end encryption in Android messages - TechCrunch - November 24th, 2020
- Google Messages Set to Roll Out End-to-End Encryption - Infosecurity Magazine - November 24th, 2020
- Did they crack the code? The importance of encryption for protest movements - OpenGlobalRights - November 24th, 2020
- The EU's muddled approach to encryption - The Spectator US - November 24th, 2020
- AES Encryption Software Market 2020 Global Industry Size, Demand, Growth Analysis, Share, Revenue and Forecast 2022 - The Think Curiouser - November 24th, 2020
- How to recover data from a Mac with T2 or FileVault encryption and without a password - Macworld - November 24th, 2020
- Security flaws in smart doorbells may open the door to hackers - We Live Security - November 24th, 2020
- Document Encryption Software Market 2020 - Impact of COVID-19 Pandemic, Future Development, Top Manufacturers Analysis, Trends and Demand discussed in... - November 24th, 2020
- U.S. Hardware Encryption Market is expected to reach $259.12 billion by 2026 | CAGR 32.4% - WhaTech - November 24th, 2020
- Data Encryption Market: Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Trends, Growth and Forecast 2020 2026 - The Think Curiouser - November 24th, 2020
- Arrests and raids in Essex as police crackdown on encrypted criminal networks - Gazette - November 24th, 2020
- 2020 and Beyond: Homomorphic Encryption Market Trends and Outlook Study to 2027 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 24th, 2020
- US Department of Justice reignites the Battle to Break Encryption - Naked Security - October 17th, 2020
- Five Eyes Call for Tech World to Weaken Encryption - ClearanceJobs - ClearanceJobs - October 17th, 2020
- Zoom Begins Rollout of End-To-End Encryption - My TechDecisions - TechDecisions - October 17th, 2020
- Could homomorphic encryption be the solution to big data's problem? - Siliconrepublic.com - October 17th, 2020
- U.S., UK and other countries warn tech firms that encryption creates 'severe risks' to public safety - CNBC - October 17th, 2020
- Is Signal secure? How the messaging app protects privacy - Business Insider - Business Insider - October 17th, 2020
- AeroVironment and Viasat to aim to improve radio encryption for Puma AE - Flightglobal - October 17th, 2020
- Encryption Backdoor? The Trump Administration Wants It. - The National Interest - October 17th, 2020
- How to use private conversations on Skype to send encrypted calls and messages - Business Insider India - October 17th, 2020
- AES Encryption Software Industry Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19 Impact | Top... - October 17th, 2020
- Trustifi Named Overall Encryption Solution Provider of the Year in 2020 CyberSecurity Breakthrough Awards Program - GlobeNewswire - October 17th, 2020
- ACLU and EFF Call DOJ's Encryption Dream a Nightmare - L.A. Weekly - October 17th, 2020
- Global Database Encryption Market Expected to reach highest CAGR in forecast period : International Business Machines Corporation, Symantec... - October 17th, 2020
- Feds, 'Five Eyes' Allies Take Another Swing at Encryption Policy Changes - MeriTalk - October 13th, 2020
- Homomorphic encryption tools find their niche - CSO Online - October 13th, 2020
- Mission Impossible: 7 Countries Tell Facebook To Break Encryption - Forbes - October 13th, 2020
- Dutton pushes against encryption yet again but oversight at home is slow - ZDNet - October 13th, 2020
- Fuse Analytics integration with StrongSalt offers Enterprise Information Archiving with GDPR protections - PR Web - October 13th, 2020
- Is Signal Safe? What to Know About the New Encrypted Messaging App - Parentology - October 13th, 2020
- Five Eyes alliance warning: 'Encryption creates severe risks to public safety' - New Zealand Herald - October 13th, 2020
- Privateness or youngster safety? 7 governments, together with US & UK, argue Fb's new encryption plan would profit PEDOPHILES - Editorials 360 - October 13th, 2020
- Optical Encryption Market Analysis And Demand With Forecast Overview To 2025 - Express Journal - October 13th, 2020
- Encrypted messages don't always stay private. Here's what that means for you - CNET - October 11th, 2020
- EARN IT Act a Dire Threat to Encryption, Speech Online, Critics Say - Decrypt - October 11th, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts of Covid-19 on Cloud Encryption Software Market Effects, Aftermath, Global Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast To... - October 11th, 2020
- Parts of the Election System Are Ripe for Hacking: 'Encryption? We Don't Do That' - Josh Kurtz - October 6th, 2020
- WikiLeaks led the way for newsrooms to use encryption to protect sources, says Italian journalist - ComputerWeekly.com - October 6th, 2020
- Global Encryption Software Market 2020 Industry Size, Shares and Upcoming Trends 2025 - Reported Times - October 6th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 2027: Recent Trends, Growth Opportunities and Business Development Strategies By IBM, Trend Micro, Symantec, McaFee,... - October 6th, 2020
- Encryption Key Management Market Research By Growth, Competitive Methods And Forecast To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 6th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market Size, Share, Trends, CAGR by Technology, Key Players, Regions, Cost, Revenue and Forecast 2020 to... - October 6th, 2020
- Global Encryption Software Market 2020 | Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19 | Top Companies:... - October 6th, 2020
- Stay Tuned with the Epic Battle in the Encryption Key Management Market - The Daily Chronicle - October 6th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market To Drive Highest Growth By 2027 With Leading Key Players: Seagate Technology PLC, Western Digital Corp,... - October 6th, 2020
- Encrypted USB flash drive you can unlock with your smartphone (or Apple Watch) - ZDNet - October 6th, 2020
- Global Mobile Encryption Market is slated to grow rapidly in the coming years: McAfee(Intel Corporation), Blackberry, T-Systems International, ESET,... - October 6th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Software Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 6th, 2020
- Best Encryption Software in 2020 - Latest Quadrant Ranking Released by 360Quadrants - PRNewswire - September 30th, 2020
- 4 Reasons Why Encryption Is a Must for Data Protection - CIOReview - September 30th, 2020
- Prospective Node Operators Stake $125M in ETH to Participate in NuCypher Encryption Network - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 30th, 2020
- Fortanix Partners with VMware to Enable Cloud Service Providers to Deliver Data Security as a Service - GlobeNewswire - September 30th, 2020
- SanDisks latest portable SSDs have boosted speed and security - The Verge - September 30th, 2020
- What Facebook users need to know about end-to-end encryption - Fast Company - September 30th, 2020
- Whats really up with your secure WhatsApp chats - Mint - September 30th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Technology Market Trends Together With Growth Forecast To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Market- Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027: By Industrial verticals, Services, and Region. - Unica News - September 30th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Market to Witness a Pronounce Growth During 2020-2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Technology Market with (Covid-19) Impact Analysis: Growth, Latest Trend Analysis and Forecast 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Global Email Encryption Software Market Report 2020-2027: Production Capacity and Consumption Analysis by Regions and Country Wise - Crypto Daily - September 30th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Service Market 2020 | Detailed Analysis, Growth, Research and Forecast - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Database Encryption Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Optical Encryption Industry 2020 Includes The Major Application Segments And Size In The Global Market To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Hardware Based Encryption Market Projected to Be Resilient During 2020-2025 - The Market Records - September 30th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Market (2020-2026) | Where Should Participant Focus To Gain Maximum ROI | Exclusive Report By DataIntelo - Crypto Daily - September 30th, 2020
- Ring plans to offer end-to-end encryption by the end of the year - The Verge - September 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Comprehensive Study With Key Trends, Major Drivers And Challenges 2020-2026 - The Market Records - September 29th, 2020
- Ring to offer opt-in end-to-end encryption for videos beginning later this year - TechCrunch - September 29th, 2020
- WhatsApp Encryption Is Not Foolproof; Chats Can Be Accessed In These Ways - Yahoo India News - September 29th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Market Forecast to 2027 Covid-19 Impact and Global Analysis by Type, Deployment Type and Industry Vertical... - September 29th, 2020
- EU Still Asking For The Impossible (And The Unnecessary): 'Lawful Access' To Encrypted Material That Doesn't Break Encryption - Techdirt - September 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Report Examines Growth Overview And Predictions On Size, Share And Trend Through 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Russia Is Trying Something New to Isolate Its Internet From the Rest of the World - Slate - September 29th, 2020
- Network Encryption Market From 2020-2026: Growth Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Types And Applications - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Size, Analytical Overview, Key Players, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends And Forecast to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Top Technologies To Achieve Security And Privacy Of Sensitive Data In AI Models - Analytics India Magazine - September 29th, 2020
- Database Encryption Market Analysis and the Impact of COVID-19 Key Vendors, Growth Rate and Forecast To 2028 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Technology Market Size, Analytical Overview, Key Players, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends And Forecast to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020