Data encryption defined in Data Protection 101, our series on the fundamentals of data security.
Data encryption translates data into another form, or code, so that only people with access to a secret key (formally called a decryption key) or password can read it. Encrypted data iscommonlyreferred to as ciphertext, while unencrypted data is called plaintext. Currently, encryption is one of the most popular and effective data security methods used by organizations. Two main types of data encryption exist - asymmetric encryption, also known as public-key encryption, and symmetric encryption.
The purpose of data encryption is to protect digital data confidentiality as it is stored on computer systems and transmitted using the internet or other computer networks. The outdated data encryption standard (DES) has been replaced by modern encryption algorithms that play a critical role in the security of IT systems and communications.
These algorithms provide confidentiality and drive key security initiatives including authentication, integrity, and non-repudiation. Authentication allows for the verification of a messages origin, and integrity provides proof that a messages contents have not changed since it was sent. Additionally, non-repudiation ensures that a message sender cannot deny sending the message.
Data, or plaintext, is encrypted with an encryption algorithm and an encryption key. The process results in ciphertext, which only can be viewed in its original form if it is decrypted with the correct key.
Symmetric-key ciphers use the same secret key for encrypting and decrypting a message or file. While symmetric-key encryption is much faster than asymmetric encryption, the sender must exchange the encryption key with the recipient before he can decrypt it. As companies find themselves needing to securely distribute and manage huge quantities of keys, most data encryption services have adapted and use an asymmetric algorithm to exchange the secret key after using a symmetric algorithm to encrypt data.
On the other hand, asymmetric cryptography, sometimes referred to as public-key cryptography, uses two different keys, one public and one private. The public key, as it is named, may be shared with everyone, but the private key must be protected. The Rivest-Sharmir-Adleman (RSA) algorithm is a cryptosystem for public-key encryption that is widely used to secure sensitive data, especially when it is sent over an insecure network like the internet. The RSA algorithms popularity comes from the fact that both the public and private keys can encrypt a message to assure the confidentiality, integrity, authenticity, and non-repudiability of electronic communications and data through the use of digital signatures.
The most basic method of attack on encryption today is brute force, or trying random keys until the right one is found. Of course, the length of the key determines the possible number of keys and affects the plausibility of this type of attack. It is important to keep in mind that encryption strength is directly proportional to key size, but as the key size increases so do the number of resources required to perform the computation.
Alternative methods of breaking a cipher include side-channel attacks and cryptanalysis. Side-channel attacks go after the implementation of the cipher, rather than the actual cipher itself. These attacks tend to succeed if there is an error in system design or execution. Likewise, cryptanalysis means finding a weakness in the cipher and exploiting it. Cryptanalysis is more likely to occur when there is a flaw in the cipher itself.
Data protection solutions for data encryption can provide encryption of devices, email, and data itself. In many cases, these encryption functionalities are also met with control capabilities for devices, email, and data. Companies and organizations face the challenge of protecting data and preventing data loss as employees use external devices, removable media, and web applications more often as a part of their daily business procedures. Sensitive data may no longer be under the companys control and protection as employees copy data to removable devices or upload it to the cloud. As a result, the best data loss prevention solutions prevent data theft and the introduction of malware from removable and external devices as well as web and cloud applications. In order to do so, they must also ensure that devices and applications are used properly and that data is secured by auto-encryption even after it leaves the organization.
As we mentioned, email control and encryption is another critical component of a data loss prevention solution. Secure, encrypted email is the only answer for regulatory compliance, a remote workforce, BYOD, and project outsourcing. Premier data loss prevention solutions allow your employees to continue to work and collaborate through email while the software and tools proactively tag, classify, and encrypt sensitive data in emails and attachments. The best data loss prevention solutions automatically warn, block, and encrypt sensitive information based on message content and context, such as user, data class, and recipient.
While data encryption may seem like a daunting, complicated process, data loss prevention software handles it reliably every day. Data encryption does not have to be something your organization tries to solve on its own. Choose a top data loss prevention software that offers data encryption with device, email, and application control and rest assured that your data is safe.
Tags: Data Protection 101
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Encryption Software Market Report to Share Key Aspects of the Industry with the details of Influence Factors - Scientect - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market: Regional Overview and Trends Evaluation to 2026 - Fractovia News - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market is Expected to reach $2.16 billion by 2020| Growing at a CAGR (compounded annual growth rate) of CAGR of 14.27% from 2014... - September 4th, 2020
- WD unveils encrypted ArmorLock SSD that unlocks using your smartphone - 9to5Toys - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market report, upcoming trends, share report, growth size, industry players and global forecast to 2025 - Galus Australis - September 4th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Encryption Software Market: Global Industry Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2020 2025 - The Daily... - September 4th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Technology Steady Growth to be Witnessed by 2019-2029 - The News Brok - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market to Witness Astonishing Growth by 2026 | Dell , Eset , Gemalto and more - The Daily Chronicle - September 4th, 2020
- IIT Guwahati Research team working towards protecting data from cyber attacks - India Today - September 4th, 2020
- Five Security Blind Spots You Might Not Realize You Have - Government Technology - September 4th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption MARKET 2020 BY MANUFACTURERS, REGIONS, TYPE AND APPLICATION, FORECAST TO 2027 - Scientect - September 4th, 2020
- Network Encryption Market Trends, Outlook and Forecasts to 2025 by: Gemalto, Riverbed Technology, IBM Corporation, SolarWinds Inc., Juniper Networks... - September 4th, 2020
- What is the Importance of Encryption in the Business Network - Enterprise Security Mag - September 2nd, 2020
- How to enable end-to-end encryption for the Nextcloud app - TechRepublic - September 2nd, 2020
- The Feds Need to Listen in on Your Encrypted Knowledge. It is "for the Youngsters." - The Shepherd of the Hills Gazette - September 2nd, 2020
- NordVPN review: An encryption powerhouse with the best VPN bang for your buck - CNET - September 2nd, 2020
- Homomorphic encryption: Deriving analytics and insights from encrypted data - CSO Online - September 2nd, 2020
- Encryption Key Management 2020-2025 | Global Market Trends, Applications, Size, Types, Key Manufacturers and Forecast Research - The Daily Chronicle - September 2nd, 2020
- AES Encryption Software Market : Global Strategies and Insight driven transformation 2020 2026 - SG Research Sphere - September 2nd, 2020
- IIT Guwahati researchers develop algorithms to protect information like health data from cyberattacks - EdexLive - September 2nd, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Market- Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027: By Industrial verticals, Services, and Region. - Galus Australis - September 2nd, 2020
- Data Encryption Market Size 2020 By Global Business Trends, Share, Future Demand, Leading Players Updates and Forecast to 2026 (Based on 2020 COVID-19... - September 2nd, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Technology Market : Global Trends, Analysis and Forecast 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 2nd, 2020
- How to Encrypt Files with gocryptfs on Linux - How-To Geek - September 2nd, 2020
- GlobeX Data launches Sekur, its secure, encrypted email and messaging solution - Proactive Investors USA & Canada - September 2nd, 2020
- What to do in the event of a ransomware attack - Charity Digital News - September 2nd, 2020
- Activate these 4 WhatsApp settings NOW to stop snoopers including face-lock and encryption - The Sun - September 2nd, 2020
- TLS Is Only as Strong as Its Weakest Link - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - September 2nd, 2020
- Encryption Management Solutions Market Trends, Size, Share, Status, Analysis And Forecast To 2025 - The News Brok - September 2nd, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market Insights Business Opportunities, Current Trends And Restraints Forecast 2026 - Reports Watch - September 2nd, 2020
- 9 ways to build privacy into cloud applications - Reseller News - September 2nd, 2020
- Russia's New Blockchain Voting System Isn't Ready, but It'll Be Used This Month Anyway - Business Blockchain HQ - September 2nd, 2020
- Encryption and endpoint control: the heroes of post-lockdown data security - TEISS - August 20th, 2020
- Global Encryption Software Market 2020: Industry Analysis by Size, Share, Demand, Growth rate and Forecasts Till 2025 - The News Brok - August 20th, 2020
- Techdirt Podcast Episode 252: The Key To Encryption - Techdirt - August 20th, 2020
- Researchers Develop Attacks Targeting End-to-End Encryption in Emails - Decipher - August 20th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market- Global Outlook and Forecast 2018-2026 - Kentucky Journal 24 - August 20th, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts Of COVID-19 On Data Encryption Market Effects, Aftermath And Forecast To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - August 20th, 2020
- Commercial Encryption Software Market Analysis And Demand With Forecast Overvie - News by aeresearch - August 20th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market Estimated to Experience a Hike in Growth by 2026 - Scientect - August 20th, 2020
- Why it's important to encrypt everything, everywhere, all the time - SecurityBrief Asia - August 20th, 2020
- Optical Encryption Market with Brief Introduction, Industry Overview, Scope, Size and Forecast Analysis 2025 - Scientect - August 20th, 2020
- What is On-the-Fly Memory Encryption? - Electropages - August 8th, 2020
- AFP says it made three requests for assistance in breaking encryption in 2019-20 - iTWire - August 8th, 2020
- Blue Canyon Technologies Tapped to Build QETSSat Encryption Satellite - Via Satellite - August 8th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Report to Share Key Aspects of the Industry with the Details of Influence Factors- 2024 - Owned - August 8th, 2020
- Exorcist Ransomware and CIS Exclusion - Security Boulevard - August 8th, 2020
- Beyond Krk: Even more WiFi chips vulnerable to eavesdropping - We Live Security - August 8th, 2020
- Comprehensive Analysis on Endpoint Encryption Software Market based on types and application - The Daily Chronicle - August 8th, 2020
- This hardware-encrypted USB-C drive is rugged, inexpensive, and can run Windows - TechRadar UK - August 8th, 2020
- Zoom's COO is not concerned by app bans in India, says end-to-end encryption for all by year end - Economic Times - August 8th, 2020
- Jihadi Use Of Bots On The Encrypted Messaging Platform Telegram - Middle East Media Research Institute - August 8th, 2020
- Thoughts on encryption legislation - and the real 'link' between 5G and coronavirus - Cloud Tech - July 21st, 2020
- Twitter Urged To Beef Up Encryption 07/20/2020 - MediaPost Communications - July 21st, 2020
- Encryption Software - Market Share Analysis and Research Report by 2025 - CueReport - July 21st, 2020
- Encryption Management Solutions Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis And... - July 21st, 2020
- Research Report on Data Encryption Service Market by Current Industry Status, Growth Opportunities, Top Key Players, and Forecast to 2025 -... - July 21st, 2020
- Bill That Mandates Cyber Backdoors Will Leave Front Doors Wide Open - CPO Magazine - July 21st, 2020
- These encrypted iStorage hard drives and flash drives are the ultimate peace of mind for your data - Boing Boing - July 21st, 2020
- Virtual and face-to-face connect to coexist: Zoom COO - Fortune India - July 21st, 2020
- Facebook's Rolling Out Touch ID and Face ID Lock Options for Messenger - Social Media Today - July 21st, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Technology Market Expeted To Reach xx.xx mn USD With growth Rate of xx by 2025| Pandamic Impact Analysis : Gemalto, Sophos,... - July 21st, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 Comprehensive Analysis With Top Trends, Size, Share, Future Growth Opportunities & Forecast By 2027 - Connected... - July 21st, 2020
- Cryptocurrencies Have 'No Way' to Comply With US Anti-Encryption Bills - CoinDesk - CoinDesk - July 17th, 2020
- Encryption Key Management Market: Find Out Essential Strategies to expand The Business and Also Check Working in 2020-2027 - Jewish Life News - July 17th, 2020
- Email Encryption Market Worth $9.9 Billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - PRNewswire - July 17th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Overviews With Key Players, Size Growth Drivers As Well As Industry Challenges Opportunities To 2027 - Connected Lifestyle - July 17th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 | Covid-19 Impact Analysis and Industry Forecast Report Till 2024 - 3rd Watch News - July 17th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 Overview by Size, Share, Financial Services, Applications, Sales Data and Investment Opportunities till 2025 - Apsters... - July 17th, 2020
- Flash drives and hard drives with military-grade encryption on sale - Mashable - July 17th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Market: Size, Share, Analysis, Regional Outlook and Forecast 2020-2025 - Express Journal - July 17th, 2020
- IoT Security Solution For Encryption Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Endpoint Encryption Software Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Market Report 2020 by Key Players, Types, Applications, Countries, Market Size, Forecast to 2026... - July 6th, 2020
- Explained: WhatApp calls End-to-End Encrypted, but what does it mean for you? - India Today - July 6th, 2020
- The booming business of encrypted tech serving the criminal underworld - Telegraph.co.uk - July 6th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Devices Consumption Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Network Encryption Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 6th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Worth $20.1 Billion by 2025 - Exclusive Report by MarketsandMarkets - Yahoo Finance - June 18th, 2020
- Zoom says free users will get end-to-end encryption after all - The Verge - June 18th, 2020