Data encryption defined in Data Protection 101, our series on the fundamentals of data security.
Data encryption translates data into another form, or code, so that only people with access to a secret key (formally called a decryption key) or password can read it. Encrypted data iscommonlyreferred to as ciphertext, while unencrypted data is called plaintext. Currently, encryption is one of the most popular and effective data security methods used by organizations. Two main types of data encryption exist - asymmetric encryption, also known as public-key encryption, and symmetric encryption.
The purpose of data encryption is to protect digital data confidentiality as it is stored on computer systems and transmitted using the internet or other computer networks. The outdated data encryption standard (DES) has been replaced by modern encryption algorithms that play a critical role in the security of IT systems and communications.
These algorithms provide confidentiality and drive key security initiatives including authentication, integrity, and non-repudiation. Authentication allows for the verification of a messages origin, and integrity provides proof that a messages contents have not changed since it was sent. Additionally, non-repudiation ensures that a message sender cannot deny sending the message.
Data, or plaintext, is encrypted with an encryption algorithm and an encryption key. The process results in ciphertext, which only can be viewed in its original form if it is decrypted with the correct key.
Symmetric-key ciphers use the same secret key for encrypting and decrypting a message or file. While symmetric-key encryption is much faster than asymmetric encryption, the sender must exchange the encryption key with the recipient before he can decrypt it. As companies find themselves needing to securely distribute and manage huge quantities of keys, most data encryption services have adapted and use an asymmetric algorithm to exchange the secret key after using a symmetric algorithm to encrypt data.
On the other hand, asymmetric cryptography, sometimes referred to as public-key cryptography, uses two different keys, one public and one private. The public key, as it is named, may be shared with everyone, but the private key must be protected. The Rivest-Sharmir-Adleman (RSA) algorithm is a cryptosystem for public-key encryption that is widely used to secure sensitive data, especially when it is sent over an insecure network like the internet. The RSA algorithms popularity comes from the fact that both the public and private keys can encrypt a message to assure the confidentiality, integrity, authenticity, and non-repudiability of electronic communications and data through the use of digital signatures.
The most basic method of attack on encryption today is brute force, or trying random keys until the right one is found. Of course, the length of the key determines the possible number of keys and affects the plausibility of this type of attack. It is important to keep in mind that encryption strength is directly proportional to key size, but as the key size increases so do the number of resources required to perform the computation.
Alternative methods of breaking a cipher include side-channel attacks and cryptanalysis. Side-channel attacks go after the implementation of the cipher, rather than the actual cipher itself. These attacks tend to succeed if there is an error in system design or execution. Likewise, cryptanalysis means finding a weakness in the cipher and exploiting it. Cryptanalysis is more likely to occur when there is a flaw in the cipher itself.
Data protection solutions for data encryption can provide encryption of devices, email, and data itself. In many cases, these encryption functionalities are also met with control capabilities for devices, email, and data. Companies and organizations face the challenge of protecting data and preventing data loss as employees use external devices, removable media, and web applications more often as a part of their daily business procedures. Sensitive data may no longer be under the companys control and protection as employees copy data to removable devices or upload it to the cloud. As a result, the best data loss prevention solutions prevent data theft and the introduction of malware from removable and external devices as well as web and cloud applications. In order to do so, they must also ensure that devices and applications are used properly and that data is secured by auto-encryption even after it leaves the organization.
As we mentioned, email control and encryption is another critical component of a data loss prevention solution. Secure, encrypted email is the only answer for regulatory compliance, a remote workforce, BYOD, and project outsourcing. Premier data loss prevention solutions allow your employees to continue to work and collaborate through email while the software and tools proactively tag, classify, and encrypt sensitive data in emails and attachments. The best data loss prevention solutions automatically warn, block, and encrypt sensitive information based on message content and context, such as user, data class, and recipient.
While data encryption may seem like a daunting, complicated process, data loss prevention software handles it reliably every day. Data encryption does not have to be something your organization tries to solve on its own. Choose a top data loss prevention software that offers data encryption with device, email, and application control and rest assured that your data is safe.
Tags: Data Protection 101
- Encryption Software Market 2019 Size, CAGR Status, Key Players, Growth Analysis and Forecast to 2026 - The Market Publicist - December 2nd, 2019
- Global Encryption Software Market Industry Analysis and Forecast (2018-2026) - Daily Research Stack - December 2nd, 2019
- Fortinet took 18 months to strip software of flawed crypto cipher and keys - The Daily Swig - December 1st, 2019
- Mobile Encryption Market Competitive Research And Precise Outlook 2019 To 2025 - The Market Publicist - December 1st, 2019
- NordPass: Get rid of password stress. Forever. - EE Journal - December 1st, 2019
- Apple patents anti-snooping technology that would stop police from tracking locations and messages - Stock Daily Dish - December 1st, 2019
- Encryption Software Market Research Report by Geographical Analysis and Forecast 2017-2027 - Kentucky Reports - November 28th, 2019
- Encryption Key Management Software Market : Industry Research, Growth Trends And Opportunities For The Forecast Period 2019-2029 - News Description - November 28th, 2019
- iStorage cloudAshur is named: Security Innovation of the Year at the UK IT Industry Awards 2019 - ResponseSource - November 28th, 2019
- Database Encryption Market Analysis Report by Product Type, Industry Application and Future Technology 2025 (International Business Machines... - November 28th, 2019
- The IT Guide to Enforcing Full Disk Encryption Windows Edition - Security Boulevard - November 28th, 2019
- Why The FBI's Former Top Lawyer Now Embraces Encryption - Law360 - November 28th, 2019
- Big Boom in Cloud Encryption Market over 2019-2026 with CipherCloud Inc., Hytrust Inc., Gemalto NV, IBM Corporation and more - Market Expert - November 28th, 2019
- Encrypted Flash Drives Market Size, Growth, Global Industry Analysis, Share, Segments and Forecast 2019-2024 - Space Market Research - November 28th, 2019
- Encryption Software Market 2019 Global Industry Status, Segment by Region, Type and Future Forecast To 2026 - Financial News - November 28th, 2019
- FBI worried about criminals having unfettered access to encryption technology - KTVI Fox 2 St. Louis - November 23rd, 2019
- What Is End-to-End Encryption? Another Bulls-Eye on Big Tech - The New York Times - November 23rd, 2019
- Think of the children: FBI sought Interpol statement against end-to-end crypto - Ars Technica - November 23rd, 2019
- Security Expert Comments On NSA Publishes Advisory Addressing Encrypted Traffic Inspection Risks - ISBuzz News - November 23rd, 2019
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market By Industry Business Plan, Manufacturers, Sales, Supply, Share, Revenue and Forecast Report... - November 23rd, 2019
- Moniker makes a statement with The Encryption EP - The Untz - November 23rd, 2019
- Global Mobile Encryption Market By Industry Business Plan, Manufacturers, Sales, Supply, Share, Revenue and Forecast Report 2019-2024 - BeetleVersion - November 23rd, 2019
- NSA Publishes Advisory Addressing Encrypted Traffic Inspection Risks - BleepingComputer - November 23rd, 2019
- Encryption Key Management Software Market Research Report: Market Analysis on the Future Growth Prospects and Market Trends Adopted by the... - November 23rd, 2019
- Microsoft Windows 10 To Natively Support DNS Over HTTPS Encryption And Obfuscation Technique Making Internet Traffic Monitoring Near Impossible -... - November 23rd, 2019
- Import EFS File Encryption Certificate and Key (PFX file) in Windows 10 - TWCN Tech News - November 23rd, 2019
- What Is Homomorphic Encryption? And Why Is It So Transformative? - Forbes - November 19th, 2019
- FBI Recruits Interpol to Condemn End-to-End Encryption - WebProNews - November 19th, 2019
- Is encryption to blame for WhatsApp snooping? - Livemint - November 19th, 2019
- BEST PRACTICES: Resurgence of encrypted thumb drives shows value of offline backups in the field - Security Boulevard - November 19th, 2019
- Astonishing Growth in Global encryption software market size was valued at USD 2.98 billion in 2018. It is projected to post a CAGR of 16.8% from 2019... - November 19th, 2019
- Encryption Software Market Overview, Latest Analysis and Future Forecast 2019 2025 - Markets Gazette 24 - November 19th, 2019
- With end-to-end encryption, we wouldn't be able to listen in even if we wanted to, says Facebook's Stan Chudnovsky - Mumbrella Asia - November 19th, 2019
- Microsoft Jumps on the DoH Train Company to Introduce Encrypted DNS - Computer Business Review - November 19th, 2019
- Global Mobile Encryption Technology Market 2018 Manufacturers, Types and Application, Analysis History and Forecast 2025 - Galus Australis - November 19th, 2019
- Hardware Encryption Market Growth Forecast Analysis by Top Manufacturers, Regions, Product Types and Application (2019 - 2026) - News Obtain - November 19th, 2019
- The Best Encryption Software for 2019 | PCMag.com - October 21st, 2019
- What is data encryption? - October 19th, 2019
- USB Enforced Encryption - Endpoint Protector - October 19th, 2019
- Authenticated encryption - Crypto++ Wiki - October 19th, 2019
- Tinder's Lack of Encryption Lets Strangers Spy on Your ... - October 19th, 2019
- 'Without Encryption, We Will Lose All Privacy': Snowden ... - October 18th, 2019
- Security pros reiterate warning against encryption backdoors - October 18th, 2019
- Encryption - servicepro.wiki - October 18th, 2019
- Mozy Encryption - October 18th, 2019
- Optical Encryption Market Size, Share, Trends and Forecast ... - October 18th, 2019
- MySQL Enterprise Transparent Data Encryption (TDE) - October 18th, 2019
- What is Encryption? - Definition from WhatIs.com - October 17th, 2019
- How to Set Up BitLocker Encryption on Windows - October 2nd, 2019
- Encryption: What It Is, and How It Works for You | Tom's Guide - October 2nd, 2019
- Security Encryption Systems | HowStuffWorks - October 2nd, 2019
- What is The Difference Between Hashing and Encrypting - October 2nd, 2019
- How Encryption Works | HowStuffWorks - September 5th, 2019
- encryption - How secure is AES-256? - Cryptography Stack ... - June 2nd, 2019
- The World's Email Encryption Software Relies on One Guy, Who ... - May 5th, 2019
- Encryption breakthrough could keep prying eyes away from your ... - May 5th, 2019
- IronClad Encryption Partners with Data443 Risk Mitigation ... - April 30th, 2019
- What Is Encryption? An Overview of Modern Encryption ... - April 30th, 2019
- Symmetric vs. Asymmetric Encryption What are differences? - April 29th, 2019
- Difference Between Hashing and Encryption - ssl2buy.com - April 29th, 2019
- What is Advanced Encryption Standard (AES)? - Definition ... - April 29th, 2019
- How to Encrypt Your Wireless Network - Lifewire - April 29th, 2019
- After Paris, Encryption Will Be a Key Issue in the 2016 ... - April 22nd, 2019
- Email encryption - Wikipedia - April 8th, 2019
- What is Encryption, and Why Are People Afraid of It? - April 8th, 2019
- Data encryption | cryptology | Britannica.com - April 8th, 2019
- How to Enable Full-Disk Encryption on Windows 10 - April 1st, 2019
- After Paris, Encryption Will Be a Key Issue in the 2016 Race - March 27th, 2019
- Does Encryption Really Help ISIS? Heres What You Need to ... - March 27th, 2019
- AES and RSA Encryption Explained - March 27th, 2019
- Encryption: What it is and why its important - Norton - March 23rd, 2019
- Authenticated encryption - Wikipedia - March 19th, 2019
- Email Encryption Options for MDaemon Email Server - March 14th, 2019
- How to Encrypt Files on Windows - Tutorial - Toms Guide - March 6th, 2019
- Encryption, Key Management - bank information security - March 5th, 2019
- Which Types of Encryption are Most Secure? - February 7th, 2019
- JSON Object Signing and Encryption (JOSE) - February 4th, 2019
- What Is Encryption, and How Does It Work? - January 26th, 2019
- The Pitfalls of Facebook Merging Messenger, Instagram, and ... - January 26th, 2019
- Encryption: Avoiding the Pitfalls That Can Lead to Breaches - January 14th, 2019