Company leaders are continually looking for ways to keep data safe without compromising its usability. Fully homomorphic encryption (FHE) could be a step in the right direction.
Fully homomorphic encryption allows the analyzing and running of processes on data without needing a decryption method. For example, if someone wanted to process information in the cloud but did not trust the provider, FHE would allow sending the encrypting data for processing without providing a decryption key.
Read more: Creating a Cloud Strategy: Tips for Success
FHE is like other encryption methods that require using a public key to encrypt the data. Only the party with the correct private key can see the information in its unencrypted state. However, FHE uses an algebraic system that allows working with data without requiring decryption first. In many cases, information is represented as integers, while multiplication and addition replace the Boolean functions used in other kinds of encryption.
FHE uses an algebraic system that allows working with data without requiring decryption first.
Researchers first proposed FHE in the 1970s, and people became interested back then. However, it has taken substantial time to turn these concepts into feasible real-world applications.
A researcher showed it was plausible with his 2009 published study. However, working with even a tiny amount of data proved too time-intensive. Even now, FHE can require hundreds of times more computing power than an equivalent plaintext data operation.
Data is at a higher risk of becoming compromised when its not encrypted. FHE keeps the information secure by not requiring decryption to occur for processing to happen.
In one recent example, Google released an FHE-based tool that allows developers to work with encrypted data without revealing any personally identifiable information (PII). Googles blog post on the subject gave the example of FHE allowing medical researchers to examine the data of people with a particular condition without providing any personal details about them.
Encryption takes private information and makes it unreadable by unauthorized third parties. However, something that makes people particularly excited about FHE is that it eliminates the tradeoff between data privacy and usability, making both present at a high level.
Read more: Data Collection Ethics: Bridging the Trust Gap
Many people familiar with FHE and its potential applications agree that it seems safer than other methods of data protection, which require decrypting data for processing. It could be particularly widely embraced in certain sectors. After all, cloud computing brings in $250 billion per year.
Experts believe FHE will emerge as a compelling option in tightly regulated industries.
People are continually interested in how to keep their data safe when stored in the cloud. Some experts also believe FHE will emerge as a compelling option in tightly regulated industries because it could become a better safeguard against breaches.
Past solutions to either completely anonymize data or restrict access through stringent data use agreements have limited the utility of abundant and valuable patient data, IBM notes on its site. FHE in clinical research can improve the acceptance of data-sharing protocols, increase sample sizes, and accelerate learning from real-world data.
Fully homomorphic encryption could forever change how companies use data. Thats crucial, especially considering how many businesses collect it in vast quantities at a time where many consumers feel increasingly concerned about keeping their details safe.
For example, FHE allows keeping information in an encrypted database to make it less vulnerable to hacking without restricting how owners can use it. That approach could limit an organizations risk of regulatory fines due to data breaches and hacks.
It also permits secure data monetization efforts by protecting customers information and allowing services to process peoples information without invading privacy. In such cases, individuals may be more forthcoming about sharing their information, knowing in advance that business representatives cannot see certain private aspects of it.
Using an FHE-based solution also enables sharing data with third-party collaborators in ways that reduce threats and help the company providing the information comply with respective regulations. Thus, this kind of encryption could support research efforts where people across multiple organizations need to work with sensitive content.
Read more: Data Analytics vs Data Science: Whats the Difference?
Fully homomorphic encryption is not widely available in commercial platforms yet. However, some companies offer products based on homomorphic encryption that could eventually work for the use cases discussed earlier.
For example, Intel has such a product that allows segmenting data into secure zones for processing.Similarly, Inpher offers a product with an FHE component. It primarily uses secure multiparty computation, but applies FHE to certain use cases.
IBM says FHE is now adequate for specific use cases.
Beyond those examples, IBM has a fully homomorphic encryption toolkit that it released for iOS in 2020. That progress primarily occurred after IBMs experts took it upon themselves to make FHE more commercially feasible, addressing the time and computing power that it previously took to use this type of encryption.
The companys representatives say FHE is now adequate for specific use cases and suggested the health care and finance industries as particularly well suited to it.
Since FHE is not widely available via commercial platforms yet, interested parties should not expect to start using it immediately. However, that could change as organizations become increasingly concerned about striking the right balance between data security and usability.
The ideal strategy for businesses to take now is to explore the options currently on the market. They can then determine if any of those options check the boxes for helping them explore fully homomorphic encryption, including what it might do in the future and what capabilities exist now.
Read next: AI vs Machine Learning: What Are Their Differences & Impacts?
Read this article:
What Is Fully Homomorphic Encryption (FHE)? - CIO Insight
- WhatsApp rolls out encryption for chats backed up in the cloud - Mashable - October 17th, 2021
- WhatsApp now lets users encrypt their chat backups in the cloud - TechCrunch - October 17th, 2021
- Meet the Alliance for Encryption in Latin America and the Caribbean - EFF - October 17th, 2021
- Apples plan to scan images will allow governments into smartphones - The Guardian - October 17th, 2021
- WhatsApp to bring in encryption for backup chats after privacy fears - The Guardian - October 15th, 2021
- WhatsApp end-to-end encrypted backups are rolling out on both Android and iOS - GSMArena.com news - GSMArena.com - October 15th, 2021
- Encryption: Why security threats coast under the radar - Philstar.com - October 15th, 2021
- Encryption Management Solutions Market 2021 : Industry Analysis ,Size, Share, Revenue, Prominent Players, Developing Technologies, Tendencies and... - October 15th, 2021
- TLS Support Redis - October 12th, 2021
- Signal >> Documentation - October 12th, 2021
- Encryption Consulting announces their first-ever virtual conference - "Encryption Consulting Virtual conference 2021." - Tyler Morning... - October 12th, 2021
- [Update: Rolling out] WhatsApp adds end-to-end encryption for Android cloud backups - 9to5Google - October 12th, 2021
- Homomorphic Encryption Market New Coming Industry to Witness Great Growth Opportunities in Coming Years From 2021 to 2027: Microsoft (US), IBM... - October 12th, 2021
- SmartKargo Incorporates EDIfly Advanced Aviation Messaging At No Cost for Customers of its E-Commerce Logistics Solution - Yahoo Finance - October 12th, 2021
- No outages, no data leaks: The new WhatsApp killer built on the blockchain creates privacy-focused encrypted messenger - Cointelegraph - October 12th, 2021
- Mosyle's $ 16M Series A Drives Growth by Launching the Mosyle Business with the Market's First Encrypted DNS Filtering and Security Solution -... - October 6th, 2021
- Tips to Secure and Encrypt your WIFI Network Security - H2S Media - October 6th, 2021
- Data Encryption Standard (DES)? - All You Need to Know | Techfunnel - TechFunnel - October 4th, 2021
- XSOC CORP Recognized by CyberSecurity Breakthrough Awards Program for Overall Encryption Solution of the Year - Business Wire - October 4th, 2021
- Encryption: Why security threats coast under the radar - Express Computer - October 4th, 2021
- Hardware Encryption Devices Market 2021 Technology Development, Key Manufacturers, Forecast Based on Major Drivers and Trends Up to 2027 - Digital... - October 4th, 2021
- Container security without governance is neither secure nor governed - The Register - October 4th, 2021
- Sectigo Certificate Manager Wins 2021 CyberSecurity Breakthrough Award for Overall Encryption Solution Provider of the Year - PRNewswire - October 4th, 2021
- Customs and Border Protection Signs Major Contract With Amazon-Owned Encrypted Chat App Wickr - Gizmodo - October 4th, 2021
- Encryption cant be used as excuse to deny sharing details to law enforcement: Govt - The Financial Express - October 4th, 2021
- Facebook announces WhatsApp end-to-end encrypted (E2EE) backups - Techiexpert.com - TechiExpert.com - October 4th, 2021
- Bluefin Issues New Payment Security Brief on PCI-validated P2PE for Petroleum and Convenience Stores - PR Web - October 4th, 2021
- Get a lifetime of easy, automatic encryption for all of the files on your computer for just $30 - ZDNet - September 24th, 2021
- Tide encryption is ready to end the cyber breach pandemic - TechCrunch - September 24th, 2021
- The FBI has kept the presence of the encryption key secret from Casey for three weeks. - Cheraw Chronicle - September 24th, 2021
- Braves non-tracking, browser-based video conferencing tool is out of beta - TechCrunch - September 24th, 2021
- 5 ways to stay ahead of government-targeted ransomware - GCN.com - September 24th, 2021
- Encryption Software Market expectation surges with rising demand and changing trends by industry analysis through 2026 Stillwater Current -... - September 24th, 2021
- What Is a Hardware Security Module? HSMs Explained - Hashed Out by The SSL Store - September 24th, 2021
- Making the Most from WEP - Wi-FiPlanet.com - Wi-Fi Planet - September 24th, 2021
- Brave, the startup behind untracked browser-based video conferencing tool is out of beta - Security News - BollyInside - September 24th, 2021
- Hardware Encryption Devices Market Is Expected To Witness Healthy Growth At A CAGR Of More Than 40% - Herefordshire Live - Herefordshire Live - September 24th, 2021
- WhatsApp launches encryption in iCloud and Google Drive backups - InTallaght - September 24th, 2021
- WhatsApp boosts end-to-end encryption - BusinessTech - September 17th, 2021
- WhatsApp to offer encryption on cloud backups: Heres all you need to know - India Today - September 17th, 2021
- London's Top Cop Says 'Big Tech,' Encryption Are Letting The Terrorists Win - Techdirt - September 17th, 2021
- Zoom unveils new security features including end-to-end encryption for Zoom Phone, verified identities and... - ZDNet - September 15th, 2021
- Insights on the Hardware Encryption Global Market to 2026 - by Algorithm & Standard, Architecture, Product, Application and Region - PRNewswire - September 15th, 2021
- Light Start: WhatsApp rolls out backup encryption, LG is more attractive, Google goes dark and iPhones only laak gud vaabs Stuff - Stuff Magazines - September 15th, 2021
- Revenant REvil. WhatsApp offers encryption. Hortum spyware in Turkey. Update on the UN data breach. Healthcare breaches disclosed. - The CyberWire - September 15th, 2021
- How a glitch in the Matrix led to apps potentially exposing encrypted chats - The Register - September 15th, 2021
- Secure cloud storage: which are the most secure providers? - ITProPortal - September 15th, 2021
- WhatsApp is finally allowing users to encrypt chat backups uploaded to iCloud and Google Drive - Buzz.ie - September 15th, 2021
- WhatsApp is adding encrypted backups - The Verge - September 11th, 2021
- WhatsApp end-to-end encrypted messages arent that private after all - Ars Technica - September 11th, 2021
- UK government backs Apple, and wants to scan encrypted messages for CSAM - 9to5Mac - September 11th, 2021
- VPN and Email Encryption Provider, WiTopia, Inc., Is Now Raising Capital Via StartEngine - PRNewswire - September 11th, 2021
- Future in the cloud for encryption - Capacity Media - September 8th, 2021
- WhatsApps Claims Of End-To-End Encryption Might Be Entirely True - Ubergizmo - September 8th, 2021
- Debunking Wi-Fi Security Myths: Wi-Fi Encryption Is Weak - TechSpective - September 8th, 2021
- WhatsApp Flaw Casts Doubt on End-to-End Encryption - Security Boulevard - September 8th, 2021
- Bluefin Receives U.S. Patent on Systems for Vaultless Tokenization and Encryption - WFMZ Allentown - September 8th, 2021
- Priti Patel backs ad campaign that criticises Facebook's stance on end-to-end encryption - Graham Cluley Security News - September 8th, 2021
- EXCLUSIVE: What's in the new zero-trust strategy - Politico - September 8th, 2021
- 3 ways to protect yourself from cyberattacks in the midst of an IT security skill shortage - Help Net Security - September 8th, 2021
- Apple Has Betrayed Its Privacy Legacy and Will Undermine End-to-end Encryption Everywhere - Privacy News Online - September 8th, 2021
- IBM's first 7nm Power10 chip arrives in E1080 server system with a wealth of shiny features - The Register - September 8th, 2021
- The adoption of multi-cloud drives the need for better data protection and management of encryption keys an... - Security Boulevard - August 26th, 2021
- Cryptomator Vs. BoxCryptor: Which One Is The Best Encryption Software? - Analytics Insight - August 26th, 2021
- Why you should encrypt your data on your computer and how to do it - The Star Online - August 26th, 2021
- Video end-to-end encryption on Ring to be available worldwide - ITP.net - August 26th, 2021
- What is a Vocoder? How an audio encryption device used in WW2 became the sound of electro and modern pop - Mixdown - August 26th, 2021
- Privacera partners with StreamSets to strengthen data security for ETL processing in the cloud - Help Net Security - August 26th, 2021
- R400m cocaine-in-a-boat accused used encryption app to communicate - TimesLIVE - August 26th, 2021
- Evervaults encryption as a service is now open access - TechCrunch - August 24th, 2021
- How to Encrypt Your Own Windows and Mac Devices (and Why You Need To) - Lifehacker - August 24th, 2021
- Why encryption is the key to digital fitness, according to Thales - iTnews - August 24th, 2021
- How to check each of your WhatsApp chats are ACTUALLY private right now and not being intercepted by h... - The Sun - August 24th, 2021
- WebCam: How Australia paved the way for Apple's encryption backflip - Crikey - August 24th, 2021
- Staggering 400% rise in child sexual abuse images detected by Facebook as fears over encryption plans g... - The Sun - August 24th, 2021
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market 2021 and Analysis to 2027 Micron Technology Inc, Seagate Technology PLC, Toshiba, Intel - The Market... - August 24th, 2021
- WhatsApp could soon have an iPad app for the first time - Engadget - August 24th, 2021
- Facebook is bringing end-to-end encryption to Messenger calls and Instagram DMs - TechCrunch - August 14th, 2021
- Apple opens the encryption Pandora's box - Axios - August 14th, 2021
- How to encrypt your computer (and why you should) - Mashable - August 14th, 2021