The problem with encrypted data is that you must decrypt it in order to work with it. By doing so, its vulnerable to the very things you were trying to protect it from by encrypting it. There is a powerful solution to this scenario: homomorphic encryption. Homomorphic encryption might eventually be the answer for organizations that need to process information while still protecting privacy and security.
What Is Homomorphic Encryption? And Why Is It So Transformative?
What is homomorphic encryption?
Homomorphic encryption makes it possible to analyze or manipulate encrypted data without revealing the data to anyone. Something as simple as looking for a coffee shop when youre out of town reveals huge volumes of data with third parties as they help you satiate your caffeine cravingthe fact that youre seeking a coffee shop, where you are when youre searching, what time it is and more. If homomorphic encryption were applied in this fictional coffee search, none of this information would be visible to any of third parties or service providers such as Google. In addition, they wouldnt be able to see what answer you were given regarding where the coffee shop is and how to get there.
While we might be willing to part with the data that is exposed when we search for our next caffeine fix, homomorphic encryption has huge potential in areas with sensitive personal data such as in financial services or healthcare when the privacy of a person is paramount. In these cases, homomorphic encryption can protect the sensitive details of the actual data, but still, be analyzed and processed.
Another bonus of homomorphic encryption is that unlike other encryption models in use today, it is safe from getting broken by quantum computers.
Just like other forms of encryption, homomorphic encryption uses a public key to encrypt the data. Unlike other forms of encryption, it uses an algebraic system to allow functions to be performed on the data while its still encrypted. Then, only the individual with the matching private key can access the unencrypted data after the functions and manipulation are complete. This allows the data to be and remain secure and private even when someone is using it.
There are three main types of homomorphic encryption: partially homomorphic encryption (keeps sensitive data secure by only allowing select mathematical functions to be performed on encrypted data); somewhat homomorphic encryption (supports limited operations that can be performed only a set number of times); fully homomorphic encryption (this is the gold standard of homomorphic encryption that keeps information secure and accessible).
Dr. Craig Gentry describes homomorphic encryption as a glovebox where anybody can get their hands into the glovebox and manipulate what's inside, but they are prevented from extracting anything from the glovebox. They can only take the raw materials and create something inside the box. When they finish, the person who has the key can remove the materials (processed data).
Practical Applications of Homomorphic Encryption
While cryptographers have known of the concept of homomorphic encryption since 1978, it wasnt until Dr. Gentry created an algebraically homomorphic encryption system for his graduate thesis that the idea progressed and when Gentry established the first homomorphic encryption scheme in 2009. As mentioned, homomorphic encryption could make our searches more private on search engines, but there are other practical applications for it when using data or data is in transit.
One very relevant way homomorphic encryption can be used is to ensure democratic elections are secure and transparent. Votes could be added up while keeping the identities of the voters private; third parties could verify the results, and voting data would be protected from manipulation.
Its been challenging for highly regulated industries to securely outsource data to cloud environments or data-sharing partners for research and analytics. Homomorphic encryption could change that since it makes it possible for data to be analyzed without jeopardizing privacy. This can impact many industries, including financial services, information technology, healthcare, and more.
What are the barriers to using homomorphic encryption?
The biggest barrier to widescale adoption of homomorphic encryption is that it is still very slowso slow its not yet practical to use for many applications. However, there are companies such as IBM and Microsoft, and researchers such as Dr. Gentry who are working diligently to speed up the process by decreasing the computational overhead thats required for homomorphic encryption.
- Review: SecureDrive BT, the encrypted external SSD you can unlock with Face ID - 9to5Mac - January 19th, 2020
- EncryptOnClick is a freeware tool that can encrypt files and folders - Ghacks Technology News - January 19th, 2020
- Trump and Comey Are United Against Encrypted Communications - Reason - January 19th, 2020
- Police Scotland to roll out encryption bypass technology - Glasgow Live - January 19th, 2020
- Encryption battle reignited as US govt at loggerheads with Apple - Times Now - January 19th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Market Set To Register A CAGR Growth Of XX% Over The Forecast Period 2017 2025 - Fusion Science Academy - January 19th, 2020
- Malware Obfuscation, Encoding and Encryption - Security Boulevard - January 14th, 2020
- Microsoft CEO says encryption backdoors are a terrible idea - The Verge - January 14th, 2020
- Debate over access to encryption isn't going away - Washington Examiner - January 14th, 2020
- Over two dozen encryption experts call on India to rethink changes to its intermediary liability rules - TechCrunch - January 14th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Booming by Size, Trends and Top Growing Companies- IBM Corporation, Sophos, Ciphercloud, Pkware, Mcafee - BulletintheNews - January 14th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market Analysis With Key Players, Applications, Trends And Forecasts To 2025 - Instanews247 - January 14th, 2020
- Mobile Encryption Market Insights and Technology 2020, Forecasts to 2026 - Broadcast Offer - January 14th, 2020
- Garda needs new technology for online child abuse investigations - The Irish Times - January 14th, 2020
- IoT Security Solution for Encryption Market Research, Recent Trends and Growth F - News by aeresearch - January 14th, 2020
- Apple made a rare appearance at tech's biggest conference and defended encryption on the iPhone - Business Insider - January 8th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market to cross USD 20 Bn by 2026: Global Market Insights, Inc. - Yahoo Finance - January 8th, 2020
- Data Encryption Software Market Size by Top Leading Key Players, Growth Opportunities, Incremental Revenue , Trends, Outlook and Forecasts to 2025 -... - January 8th, 2020
- WidePoint Partners with KoolSpan to Offer End-to-End Encryption for Phone Calls and Text Messages - GlobeNewswire - January 8th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 Size, Growth By Top Companies, Forecast Analysis To 2027 - Citi Blog News - January 8th, 2020
- How to cope with a FileVault recovery key disappearing while you write it down - Macworld - January 8th, 2020
- Doing these 10 things on WhatsApp may land you in jail - Gadgets Now - January 8th, 2020
- Holistic encryption is one of the keys to California Consumer Privacy Act risk management - Continuity Central - January 6th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 Size, Share Metrics, Growth Trends and Forecast to 2026 - Food & Beverage Herald - January 6th, 2020
- New Informative Report of IoT Security Solution for Encryption Top Key Players are Cisco Systems, Intel Corporation, IBM Corporation, Symantec... - January 6th, 2020
- Maastricht University gets almost all of its Windows systems encrypted by ransomware - 2-spyware.com - January 6th, 2020
- Homomorphic Encryption Market Analysis, Industry Size, Application Analysis, Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies And Forecasts (2020 2027) -... - January 6th, 2020
- The Week in Ransomware - January 3rd 2020 - Busy Holiday Season - BleepingComputer - January 6th, 2020
- Keep Your Business Secure From Online Threats - BBN Times - January 6th, 2020
- State Department Adds ITAR Definitions in Interim Final Rule for Activities that Are Not Exports, Reexports, Retransfers or Temporary Imports -... - January 6th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Market Executive Summary and Analysis by Top Players 2020-2027: Seagate Technology PLC, Western... - January 6th, 2020
- Clop Ransomware Now Kills Windows 10 Apps and 3rd Party Tools - BleepingComputer - January 6th, 2020
- Scientists in Scotland help develop worlds first encryption system that is unbreakable by hackers - The Independent - December 21st, 2019
- Apple Bows Down To Google As 2019 Most Trustworthy Recognition - International Business Times - December 21st, 2019
- Facebook , Apple being threatened by US senators over data encryption - Gizmo Posts 24 - December 21st, 2019
- How To Secure Microsoft Windows 10 In Eight Easy Steps - Forbes - December 21st, 2019
- Examine Mobile Encryption Market expected to obtain $2,917.9 million by 2022 - WhaTech - WhaTech - December 21st, 2019
- Facebook's end-to-end encryption will enhance user privacy but its not good news for law enforcement - Firstpost - December 21st, 2019
- Future of Encryption Software Market Reviewed in a New Research Study 2019-2025 - Daily News Reports 24 - December 21st, 2019
- Fortanix expert on how European companies are taking back control of their data in the cloud - Intelligent CIO ME - December 21st, 2019
- What's that? Encryption's OK now? UK politicos Brexit from Whatsapp to Signal - The Register - December 20th, 2019
- NYPD radio encryption most likely wont happen in 2020 but will soon - amNY - December 20th, 2019
- If You Think Encryption Back Doors Won't Be Abused, You May Be a Member of Congress - Reason - December 20th, 2019
- The decline of passwords, the rise of encryption and deepfakes cybersecurity predictions for 2020 - BetaNews - December 20th, 2019
- Facebook's Push for End-to-End Encryption Is Good News for User Privacy, as Well as Terrorists and Paedophiles - Nextgov - December 20th, 2019
- Internet of crap (encryption): IoT gear is generating easy-to-crack keys - The Register - December 20th, 2019
- What Is Snatch Ransomware and How to Remove It - Guiding Tech - December 20th, 2019
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market Executive Summary, Introduction, Sizing, Analysis and Forecast To 2025 - Market Research Sheets - December 20th, 2019
- NYPD Eyeing Encrypted Radios to Protect Criminal Investigations - Officer - December 20th, 2019
- Volunteer firefighters, EMTs worry they won't have NYPD radio access to help public - amNY - December 20th, 2019
- What We Learned About the Technology That Times Journalists Use - The New York Times - December 20th, 2019
- The Senate Judiciary Committee Wants Everyone to Know It's Concerned About Encryption - EFF - December 14th, 2019
- The Defense Department Says It Needs the Encryption the FBI Wants to Break - Free - December 14th, 2019
- Congress wants to regulate encryption for big tech - The Burn-In - December 14th, 2019
- Facebook says it won't break end-to-end encryption - TechRadar - December 14th, 2019
- Encryption spat sees backdoor back-and-forth between tech firms, Congress - TelecomTV - December 14th, 2019
- Michael Hayden Ran The NSA And CIA: Now Warns That Encryption Backdoors Will Harm American Security & Tech Leadership - Techdirt - December 14th, 2019
- Large, diverse coalition of civil society groups tell the US, UK and Australian governments not to ban working encryption - Boing Boing - December 14th, 2019
- U.S. Attorney Justin Herdman of Ohio says agents need access encrypted devices, apps for the sake of public s - cleveland.com - December 14th, 2019
- Google makes it safer to text on Android phones, but end-to-end encryption is still MIA - PCWorld - December 14th, 2019
- Priti Patel bids to create end-to-end encryption apps' back door - The National - December 14th, 2019
- Encryption can't put tech giants beyond the reach of the law, Minister says - The Age - December 14th, 2019
- Chrome 79 includes anti-phishing and hacked password protection - Naked Security - December 14th, 2019
- Hardware Encryption Technology Market : Analysis and In-depth study on market Size Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecasts to 2027 - Downey... - December 14th, 2019
- Encryption back on the congressional agenda - Politico - December 9th, 2019
- Police radios blocked from the public in southeast Denver metro area - The Denver Post - December 9th, 2019
- Encryption Software Market Innovations, And Top Companies - Forecast To 2029| Microsoft, Sophos Ltd., Check Point Software Technologies Ltd. -... - December 9th, 2019
- Did You Hear That? Securing Communications in 2019 | Insight for the Connected Enterprise - No Jitter - December 9th, 2019
- 'Government broke their promise': Labor seeks to amend encryption legislation - Sydney Morning Herald - December 9th, 2019
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market 2019 Innovation and Technological Developments, Industry Analysis & Outlook 2023 - Weekly News... - December 9th, 2019
- Privacy vs public safety - the pros and cons of encryption - World Economic Forum - December 8th, 2019
- 80% of all Android apps encrypt traffic by default - We Live Security - December 8th, 2019
- Keybase moves to stop onslaught of spammers on encrypted message platform - Ars Technica - December 8th, 2019
- Labor says it will fix encryption laws it voted for last year - ZDNet - December 8th, 2019
- Nick Clegg to be summoned to Parliament to give evidence on Facebook encryption - Sunriseread - December 8th, 2019
- This startup just solves the data privacy problem by making it possible to search encrypted data in the cloud - TechStartups.com - December 8th, 2019
- Encryption Software Market to Discern Magnified Growth During 2017-2027 - Weekly Spy - December 8th, 2019
- Millions of Private Text Messages Have Been Exposed: Here's How to Encrypt Messages on iPhone and Android - Tech Times - December 8th, 2019
- Biometric Data Encryption Device Market : Analysis and In-depth study on market Size Trends, Emerging Growth Factors and Forecasts to 2018 to 2028 -... - December 8th, 2019
- Certbot Leaves Beta with the Release of 1.0 - EFF - December 8th, 2019