Youre working away on your charitys computer when suddenly a message pops up on your screen.
"Your important files are encrypted. If you want to decrypt them you need to pay us."
Youve just fallen victim to a ransomware attack.
The first thing to do is take a deep breath. Dont panic. Multiple businesses and charities fall victim to a ransomware attack every minute, according to CyberSecurity Ventures, so you are not alone.
What you do next may be the difference between minor inconvenience and a catastrophe for your charity. By following these steps you can maximise the chance or retrieving your data, and minimise the impact of the ransomware attack to you and your charity.
As soon as you are aware of a ransomware attack, disconnect your computer from the network and any attached storage systems such as external hard drives or USB sticks. This is to try to prevent the ransomware spreading to any other of your charitys computer systems, or to externally stored data such as backup drives.
Once you have disconnected your computer, take a photograph of the ransom note on your screen. This is important in case your charity needs to make a cyber insurance or some other insurance claim.
Since ransomware can spread from one machine to another, its important to tell your charitys IT department, if it has one, or your colleagues about the attack.
That will enable them to take steps to ensure that more of your charitys computer systems do not fall victim to the ransomware. You are also encouraged to report cyber crime and fraud to Action Fraud. It may also be necessary to inform the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) and the Charity Commission.
Different strains of ransomware use different methods to encrypt your data, so if you want to be able to decrypt it then its important to identify exactly what you have fallen victim to.
There are a number of free online services which can identify the ransomware for you after you to upload an encrypted file or the ransom note. These include ID Ransomware and Crypto Sheriff. Alternatively, if you have access to another computer, you can download a free identification tool such as the Bitdefender Ransomware Recognition Tool
Before making any attempts to retrieve your data, it is vital that you remove the ransomware infection from your computer. If you dont, the ransomware will simply re-encrypt any data you recover and you will be back in the same situation as before. Most good endpoint protection products from vendors such as Avast, Bitdefender, or Norton should be able to do this.
Some strains of ransomware copy data, encrypt the copies, and then delete the original data. If thats the case then it may be possible to recover some of your data using a tool such as ShadowExplorer or Recuva.
Modern encryption techniques, when properly implemented, result in encrypted files which are effectively impossible to decrypt without the encryption key which only the ransomware author possesses. (It may be possible to guess the encryption key, but a fast computer making millions of guesses per second could take thousands of years to chance upon the correct key).
The good news is that in some cases the ransomware authors have not implemented the encryption correctly, or the decryption keys (or ways to generate them) have leaked out into the public domain. That means that if you have fallen victim to one of these strains of ransomware then it is possible to decrypt your files and restore access to your data. To make this easy many security researchers have created decryption tools.
To decrypt your data, head to a decryption tool repository such as NoMoreRansom or Heimdal Securitys decryption tool directory. If the strain of ransomware you identified in step 4 above is listed then download the decryption tool, and then follow the instructions to decrypt your data.
If no decryption tool exists for the ransomware that has encrypted your files, then the next course of action is to delete the encrypted data files (or better still store them somewhere offline in case a decryption tool becomes available at a later date) and restore it from a backup.
This, of course, presupposes that an up-to-date backup of your data exists, and the backup has not also been encrypted or infected by the ransomware. Backups are more likely to be out of date or encrypted if they are carried out manually (perhaps every evening) and stored on a second hard drive or a connected external drive than they are if they are carried out automatically to a backup storage service in the cloud such as Livedrive or Carbonite.
To ensure that no trace of the ransomware remains on your computer, some security experts recommend completely wiping your hard drive and reinstalling the operating system and all applications before restoring your data.
If no decryption tool exists and restoring data from a backup is not possible (or the data is too far out of date to be useful) then the final option is to consider paying the ransom.
There are a number of important things to consider carefully:
Read the rest here:
What to do in the event of a ransomware attack - Charity Digital News
- US Department of Justice reignites the Battle to Break Encryption - Naked Security - October 17th, 2020
- Five Eyes Call for Tech World to Weaken Encryption - ClearanceJobs - ClearanceJobs - October 17th, 2020
- Zoom Begins Rollout of End-To-End Encryption - My TechDecisions - TechDecisions - October 17th, 2020
- Could homomorphic encryption be the solution to big data's problem? - Siliconrepublic.com - October 17th, 2020
- U.S., UK and other countries warn tech firms that encryption creates 'severe risks' to public safety - CNBC - October 17th, 2020
- Is Signal secure? How the messaging app protects privacy - Business Insider - Business Insider - October 17th, 2020
- AeroVironment and Viasat to aim to improve radio encryption for Puma AE - Flightglobal - October 17th, 2020
- Encryption Backdoor? The Trump Administration Wants It. - The National Interest - October 17th, 2020
- How to use private conversations on Skype to send encrypted calls and messages - Business Insider India - October 17th, 2020
- AES Encryption Software Industry Market 2020: Potential growth, attractive valuation make it is a long-term investment | Know the COVID19 Impact | Top... - October 17th, 2020
- Trustifi Named Overall Encryption Solution Provider of the Year in 2020 CyberSecurity Breakthrough Awards Program - GlobeNewswire - October 17th, 2020
- ACLU and EFF Call DOJ's Encryption Dream a Nightmare - L.A. Weekly - October 17th, 2020
- Global Database Encryption Market Expected to reach highest CAGR in forecast period : International Business Machines Corporation, Symantec... - October 17th, 2020
- Feds, 'Five Eyes' Allies Take Another Swing at Encryption Policy Changes - MeriTalk - October 13th, 2020
- Homomorphic encryption tools find their niche - CSO Online - October 13th, 2020
- Mission Impossible: 7 Countries Tell Facebook To Break Encryption - Forbes - October 13th, 2020
- Dutton pushes against encryption yet again but oversight at home is slow - ZDNet - October 13th, 2020
- Western governments double down efforts to curtail end-to-end encryption - The Daily Swig - October 13th, 2020
- Fuse Analytics integration with StrongSalt offers Enterprise Information Archiving with GDPR protections - PR Web - October 13th, 2020
- Is Signal Safe? What to Know About the New Encrypted Messaging App - Parentology - October 13th, 2020
- Five Eyes alliance warning: 'Encryption creates severe risks to public safety' - New Zealand Herald - October 13th, 2020
- Privateness or youngster safety? 7 governments, together with US & UK, argue Fb's new encryption plan would profit PEDOPHILES - Editorials 360 - October 13th, 2020
- Optical Encryption Market Analysis And Demand With Forecast Overview To 2025 - Express Journal - October 13th, 2020
- Encrypted messages don't always stay private. Here's what that means for you - CNET - October 11th, 2020
- EARN IT Act a Dire Threat to Encryption, Speech Online, Critics Say - Decrypt - October 11th, 2020
- Analyzing Impacts of Covid-19 on Cloud Encryption Software Market Effects, Aftermath, Global Industry Challenges, Business Overview and Forecast To... - October 11th, 2020
- Parts of the Election System Are Ripe for Hacking: 'Encryption? We Don't Do That' - Josh Kurtz - October 6th, 2020
- WikiLeaks led the way for newsrooms to use encryption to protect sources, says Italian journalist - ComputerWeekly.com - October 6th, 2020
- Global Encryption Software Market 2020 Industry Size, Shares and Upcoming Trends 2025 - Reported Times - October 6th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market 2020 2027: Recent Trends, Growth Opportunities and Business Development Strategies By IBM, Trend Micro, Symantec, McaFee,... - October 6th, 2020
- Encryption Key Management Market Research By Growth, Competitive Methods And Forecast To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 6th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market Size, Share, Trends, CAGR by Technology, Key Players, Regions, Cost, Revenue and Forecast 2020 to... - October 6th, 2020
- Global Encryption Software Market 2020 | Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of COVID-19 | Top Companies:... - October 6th, 2020
- Stay Tuned with the Epic Battle in the Encryption Key Management Market - The Daily Chronicle - October 6th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption Market To Drive Highest Growth By 2027 With Leading Key Players: Seagate Technology PLC, Western Digital Corp,... - October 6th, 2020
- Encrypted USB flash drive you can unlock with your smartphone (or Apple Watch) - ZDNet - October 6th, 2020
- Global Mobile Encryption Market is slated to grow rapidly in the coming years: McAfee(Intel Corporation), Blackberry, T-Systems International, ESET,... - October 6th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Software Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - October 6th, 2020
- Best Encryption Software in 2020 - Latest Quadrant Ranking Released by 360Quadrants - PRNewswire - September 30th, 2020
- 4 Reasons Why Encryption Is a Must for Data Protection - CIOReview - September 30th, 2020
- Prospective Node Operators Stake $125M in ETH to Participate in NuCypher Encryption Network - CoinDesk - Coindesk - September 30th, 2020
- Fortanix Partners with VMware to Enable Cloud Service Providers to Deliver Data Security as a Service - GlobeNewswire - September 30th, 2020
- SanDisks latest portable SSDs have boosted speed and security - The Verge - September 30th, 2020
- What Facebook users need to know about end-to-end encryption - Fast Company - September 30th, 2020
- Whats really up with your secure WhatsApp chats - Mint - September 30th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Technology Market Trends Together With Growth Forecast To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Market- Industry Analysis and forecast 2020 2027: By Industrial verticals, Services, and Region. - Unica News - September 30th, 2020
- Global Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Market to Witness a Pronounce Growth During 2020-2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Global Cloud Encryption Technology Market with (Covid-19) Impact Analysis: Growth, Latest Trend Analysis and Forecast 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Global Email Encryption Software Market Report 2020-2027: Production Capacity and Consumption Analysis by Regions and Country Wise - Crypto Daily - September 30th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Service Market 2020 | Detailed Analysis, Growth, Research and Forecast - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Database Encryption Market Potential Growth, Size, Share, Demand and Analysis of Key Players Research Forecasts to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Optical Encryption Industry 2020 Includes The Major Application Segments And Size In The Global Market To 2026 - The Daily Chronicle - September 30th, 2020
- Hardware Based Encryption Market Projected to Be Resilient During 2020-2025 - The Market Records - September 30th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Market (2020-2026) | Where Should Participant Focus To Gain Maximum ROI | Exclusive Report By DataIntelo - Crypto Daily - September 30th, 2020
- Ring plans to offer end-to-end encryption by the end of the year - The Verge - September 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Comprehensive Study With Key Trends, Major Drivers And Challenges 2020-2026 - The Market Records - September 29th, 2020
- Ring to offer opt-in end-to-end encryption for videos beginning later this year - TechCrunch - September 29th, 2020
- WhatsApp Encryption Is Not Foolproof; Chats Can Be Accessed In These Ways - Yahoo India News - September 29th, 2020
- Hardware-based Full Disk Encryption (FDE) Market Forecast to 2027 Covid-19 Impact and Global Analysis by Type, Deployment Type and Industry Vertical... - September 29th, 2020
- EU Still Asking For The Impossible (And The Unnecessary): 'Lawful Access' To Encrypted Material That Doesn't Break Encryption - Techdirt - September 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Report Examines Growth Overview And Predictions On Size, Share And Trend Through 2025 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Russia Is Trying Something New to Isolate Its Internet From the Rest of the World - Slate - September 29th, 2020
- Network Encryption Market From 2020-2026: Growth Analysis By Manufacturers, Regions, Types And Applications - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market Size, Analytical Overview, Key Players, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends And Forecast to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Top Technologies To Achieve Security And Privacy Of Sensitive Data In AI Models - Analytics India Magazine - September 29th, 2020
- Database Encryption Market Analysis and the Impact of COVID-19 Key Vendors, Growth Rate and Forecast To 2028 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Technology Market Size, Analytical Overview, Key Players, Growth Factors, Demand, Trends And Forecast to 2027 - The Daily Chronicle - September 29th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market 2020 Global Share, Growth, Size, Opportunities, Trends, Regional Overview, Leading Company Analysis And Forecast To 2026 |... - September 29th, 2020
- WhatsApp says end-to-end encryption to protects chats among app however not cloud backups - Stanford Arts Review - September 29th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market 2020-2028 Research Report| Know The Growth Factors and Future Scope - The Daily Chronicle - September 25th, 2020
- Cloud Encryption Market to Witness Astonishing Growth by 2026 | Ciphercloud, Gemalto, Hytrust and more - Crypto Daily - September 25th, 2020
- One Way to Prevent Police From Surveilling Your Phone - The Intercept - September 25th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Encryption Software Market Report to Share Key Aspects of the Industry with the details of Influence Factors - Scientect - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market: Regional Overview and Trends Evaluation to 2026 - Fractovia News - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market is Expected to reach $2.16 billion by 2020| Growing at a CAGR (compounded annual growth rate) of CAGR of 14.27% from 2014... - September 4th, 2020
- WD unveils encrypted ArmorLock SSD that unlocks using your smartphone - 9to5Toys - September 4th, 2020
- Encryption Software Market report, upcoming trends, share report, growth size, industry players and global forecast to 2025 - Galus Australis - September 4th, 2020
- COVID-19 Impact on Global Encryption Software Market: Global Industry Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2020 2025 - The Daily... - September 4th, 2020
- Hardware Encryption Technology Steady Growth to be Witnessed by 2019-2029 - The News Brok - September 4th, 2020